Most overrated video/computer game ever?

el3mel

I wouldn't recommend Primal, regardless of whether or not you liked 3 and 4.
I really enjoyed it. I think it's just one of these games that's not for everyone. Some will see it very good and others will see it terribly boring ( have seen both opinions ), depends on you loving the settings and combat using these kind of weapons or not.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I've seen a lot of criticism of DAI.

Part of it, and with Skyrim as well, is that I couldn't care less about the storyline. Anything good in that respect would be wasted on me, I tend to zone out in long cinematic sequences. I'm just about running around killing things and collecting materials to craft cool stuff and level up my character.
Played Diablo?

Nucks

RT History Department
It's just people trying to win Internet points because the level up screen doesn't require you to have a PhD to understand.

There's a reason Skyrim is one of the most popular RPGs ever, because it's accessible. For some reason there a real snobbery in the gaming community about "dumbing" down games.
When you're talking about dumbing down Elder Scrolls games, you're talking primarily about fast travel and quest markers. What made the original ES games so captivating and culminating with morrowind, was the immersion factor of not having quest markers. You really had to know the world, and immerse yourself in it, to complete the game. So, despite the fact that Morrowind had far less voice acting than Oblivion or Skyrim, you were force to dig into the game, and by the game forcing you to dig into it, the game was deeper and more immersive as a result.

I've played every single Elder Scrolls game on PC, the year that they actually released, Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. The ease of access of these games have incrementally increased in each iteration. That's good. However, too much streamlining can go too far. The loss of the custom spell system for example is a downer. At the same time, while fun, being able to design your own custom spells was brutally OP, and it could easily destroy whatever tight gameplay thresholds you might wish to attempt to present as a game designer.

Siorac

It's just people trying to win Internet points because the level up screen doesn't require you to have a PhD to understand.

There's a reason Skyrim is one of the most popular RPGs ever, because it's accessible. For some reason there a real snobbery in the gaming community about "dumbing" down games.
It's accessible in some ways though the inventory and the UI in general made me want to tear my hair out. Combat was simplistic and repetitive, the story and the characters were both paper thin and the famed exploration... well let's just say that ancient ruin no. 26722613 didn't really hold my interest.

Frankly, for me, Skyrim was a game which was pretty and decent for like 10 hours but just boring after that because it lacked any kind of depth or 'hook' that would make me want to play more, explore more. Even the dragon fights became tedious very quickly.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How? No one seem to rate it.
The fact that its got the Mass Effect title to it makes it massively overrated. They should name her crap effect or something

b82REZ

When you're talking about dumbing down Elder Scrolls games, you're talking primarily about fast travel and quest markers. What made the original ES games so captivating and culminating with morrowind, was the immersion factor of not having quest markers. You really had to know the world, and immerse yourself in it, to complete the game. So, despite the fact that Morrowind had far less voice acting than Oblivion or Skyrim, you were force to dig into the game, and by the game forcing you to dig into it, the game was deeper and more immersive as a result.

I've played every single Elder Scrolls game on PC, the year that they actually released, Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. The ease of access of these games have incrementally increased in each iteration. That's good. However, too much streamlining can go too far. The loss of the custom spell system for example is a downer. At the same time, while fun, being able to design your own custom spells was brutally OP, and it could easily destroy whatever tight gameplay thresholds you might wish to attempt to present as a game designer.
But you can ignore all the quality of life improvements if you so wish. You can up the difficulty as you level up, so I don't buy these excuses.

Having the option for players to have an incredibly OP build doesn't mean it's dumbed down, it just means the game has more options. If anything I'd say Skyrim is a victim of its own variety.

It sounds like I'm a Skyrim fanboy and I'm really not. If anything it's probably a little overrated (especially by the people at Bethesda) but it gets so much unwarranted criticism from so called gaming elitists.

If it wasn't for the success of Skyrim I don't think we get Witcher 3 as it is, or any of these recent, sprawling RPGs.

b82REZ

It's accessible in some ways though the inventory and the UI in general made me want to tear my hair out. Combat was simplistic and repetitive, the story and the characters were both paper thin and the famed exploration... well let's just say that ancient ruin no. 26722613 didn't really hold my interest.

Frankly, for me, Skyrim was a game which was pretty and decent for like 10 hours but just boring after that because it lacked any kind of depth or 'hook' that would make me want to play more, explore more. Even the dragon fights became tedious very quickly.
You could apply your opening a paragraph to any game though. Witcher 3 is similar. Combat gets repetitive as do the locations and the characters, but for some reason Witcher 3 is used as the marker for all other RPGs nowadays.

The Bloody-Nine

You could apply your opening a paragraph to any game though. Witcher 3 is similar. Combat gets repetitive as do the locations and the characters, but for some reason Witcher 3 is used as the marker for all other RPGs nowadays.
You can't think of a reason why the Witcher 3 is used as the marker for all other RPGs these days?

Siorac

No, I could not. Not all games have weak combat, poor story, boring characters... Many games are a lot better than Skyrim at these things.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
But you can ignore all the quality of life improvements if you so wish. You can up the difficulty as you level up, so I don't buy these excuses.

Having the option for players to have an incredibly OP build doesn't mean it's dumbed down, it just means the game has more options. If anything I'd say Skyrim is a victim of its own variety.

It sounds like I'm a Skyrim fanboy and I'm really not. If anything it's probably a little overrated (especially by the people at Bethesda) but it gets so much unwarranted criticism from so called gaming elitists.

If it wasn't for the success of Skyrim I don't think we get Witcher 3 as it is, or any of these recent, sprawling RPGs.
I think your last sentence is spot on. Skyrim's success did pave the way for open world games to be viable for AAA developers.

But as an actual game I found Skyrim very samey and I got bored after a while. It was a meh game at the time I played it. Fallout 4 then showed that Bethesda just haven't moved on to the new standards set by OWGs.

b82REZ

No, I could not. Not all games have weak combat, poor story, boring characters... Many games are a lot better than Skyrim at these things.
I've never doubted there are better games than Skyrim, but the criticisms levied at it can easily be applied to the community sweethearts.

I enjoyed Witcher, but anyone who claims that game doesn't suffer from repetition are kidding themselves. For as beautiful as the world is its very paint by numbers. For as janky as Skyrim is, I'd rather a world like that where it feels like you can have an impact than a fancy looking sky box where there is very little interaction.

This has now descended into a Skyrim discussion which was never my intention, but considering its commercial and critical success it gets bashed constantly. Was it perfect? No. Is it unfairly criticised using modern comparisons? Yes.

Siorac

I've never doubted there are better games than Skyrim, but the criticisms levied at it can easily be applied to the community sweethearts.

I enjoyed Witcher, but anyone who claims that game doesn't suffer from repetition are kidding themselves. For as beautiful as the world is its very paint by numbers. For as janky as Skyrim is, I'd rather a world like that where it feels like you can have an impact than a fancy looking sky box where there is very little interaction.

This has now descended into a Skyrim discussion which was never my intention, but considering its commercial and critical success it gets bashed constantly. Was it perfect? No. Is it unfairly criticised using modern comparisons? Yes.
I'd just like to say I did not do that: I tried the game in November 2011 - when it came out - and I did not enjoy it back then. I didn't compare it to any other specific game, I merely listed what I think are its flaws that made me stop playing pretty quickly.

Yes, most open world games tend to be repetitive in some way or another but many hide it, paint over the cracks more effectively than Skyrim did, at least according to my tastes which are obviously subjective.

The Bloody-Nine

But its still good?
Yes, but it's not for everyone. It's subtitled, cut scene heavy, and the open world is very, very small in comparison to a game like GTA V. You don't get into any vehicles, you are constantly drawn into fights (the combat system is much deeper than GTA V), and you can play a ton of mini games. It's also pretty weird for westerners at times.

The GTA V comparison is weird to me.

Adebesi

Yes, but it's not for everyone. It's subtitled, cut scene heavy, and the open world is very, very small in comparison to a game like GTA V. You don't get into any vehicles, you are constantly drawn into fights (the combat system is much deeper than GTA V), and you can play a ton of mini games. It's also pretty weird for westerners at times.

The GTA V comparison is weird to me.
I guess its just the fact that its gangsters. What I read emphasised how small (but beautiful) the world is but how cool the fighting system is. I quite like Japanese weird though, if its weird in a Takashi Miike kind of way.

The Bloody-Nine

I guess its just the fact that its gangsters. What I read emphasised how small (but beautiful) the world is but how cool the fighting system is. I quite like Japanese weird though, if its weird in a Takashi Miike kind of way.
Early in the game, my dramatic karaoke re-enactment of what I can only assume was the Japanese equivalent of 'Rock You Like a Hurricane' made me laugh out loud.

Some of the shit the random characters say to you is hilarious. The fighting system is good stuff. There are a number of different styles you can switch between (brawler, thug, etc) which feature different attacks which are more / less effective against certain enemies. Some of the moves are brutal. It's funny watching defeated foes stumble off apologising after you have just administered the equivalent of a five car pile up on their face.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I've seen a lot of criticism of DAI.

Part of it, and with Skyrim as well, is that I couldn't care less about the storyline. Anything good in that respect would be wasted on me, I tend to zone out in long cinematic sequences. I'm just about running around killing things and collecting materials to craft cool stuff and level up my character.
Oh god...DA:I :mad:

Dragon Age 2 was a mess, but at least they had some things going for it. DA:I just pissed me off to no end, how could they feck up so bad when the first one was so good?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
i loved the Witcher 3for about the first 20 hours then for me it got boring and just turned into a bit of a button masher, so that goes into the overated camp for me

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

It's not about winning internet points, Skyrim (considering the time in development, the budget and the hype) was a huge letdown for a number of reasons and it's not snobbery to point it out. The combat is awful, it's extremely repetitive and the scaling enemies just removes any sense of progress. Taking on an enemy at lvl 15 with steel gear is no different than doing it at lvl 50 with Daedric gear, and that's a cardinal sin in an RPG

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
The story was lame, I agree, but the gameplay and stealth mechanic in this game are excellent. I'll go on and say it has the deepest stealth mechanics I have seen in any video game till now. Even though the missions looked quite repetitive, but I was never bored of them because of the great mechanics and the great AI who keeps learning from there mistake.

This game looks like the opposite of MGS4. Seems Kojima was annoyed of the criticism MGS4 got for the too much cutscenes and decided to build MGSV mostly on the gameplay.

I'll still give it about 8.5 or 9 out of 10 for the gameplay anyway.
If I recall correctly I think it was more due to Konami's interference with the production hence why Kojima had a falling out with them? Might be wrong though.

Siorac

It's not about winning internet points, Skyrim (considering the time in development, the budget and the hype) was a huge letdown for a number of reasons and it's not snobbery to point it out. The combat is awful, it's extremely repetitive and the scaling enemies just removes any sense of progress. Taking on an enemy at lvl 15 with steel gear is no different than doing it at lvl 50 with Daedric gear, and that's a cardinal sin in an RPG
Oblivion did the same, didn't it?

Siorac

Oh god...DA:I :mad:

Dragon Age 2 was a mess, but at least they had some things going for it. DA:I just pissed me off to no end, how could they feck up so bad when the first one was so good?
I enjoyed DA:I for one playthrough. The story kept me going and I liked running around my own fecking fortress.

Would never start another playthrough though. Another one in the 'single player MMO' camp with some of its issues.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah, you really don't understand what people actually mean by dumbing down. In fact, it's originally a developer term anyway. As for Skyrim, it's not really the same genre of game as the others, it's more of an action adventure than the ones before it, plus chasing the console crowd and sales is primarily why Bestheda are considered quite shit these days.

Having said that I still put ridiculous hours into it, heavily modded of course, but still the hours none-the-less. I enjoyed the game part for longer than Witcher 3 too.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Never played the earlier incarnations and I dont think theyre available on PS4 so I guess I never will.
So-so on its gameplay elements but the worldbuilding and characters in Origins are far better than their counterparts in Inquisition. The story is pretty basic but experienced and told better than the main plot in DA:I too imo. I think if you like the world you'll be missing out.

b82REZ

I'd just like to say I did not do that: I tried the game in November 2011 - when it came out - and I did not enjoy it back then. I didn't compare it to any other specific game, I merely listed what I think are its flaws that made me stop playing pretty quickly.

Yes, most open world games tend to be repetitive in some way or another but many hide it, paint over the cracks more effectively than Skyrim did, at least according to my tastes which are obviously subjective.
Which is fair enough. And to be honest I'm probably not a million miles away from your opinions on the game, but you must realise you are, for the most part, in the minority.

It's become "cool" to thrown scorn at Bethesda and tbf some of their recent decisions deserve it, but Skyrim, for the most part, was a huge success, and it's only been the last year or so you are seeing more and more dissenting voices.

If this thread was made in 2012 there's no way people (or as many) are saying Skyrim is overrated.

Adebesi

So-so on its gameplay elements but the worldbuilding and characters in Origins are far better than their counterparts in Inquisition. The story is pretty basic but experienced and told better than the main plot in DA:I too imo. I think if you like the world you'll be missing out.
Dont get me wrong, its not lack of interest, after I got into DA:I I scouted round to see if the older games were available, I would have liked to have played them. If my PS3 still worked Id even be tempted to dust it off for them but alas I didnt actually invest in my PS4 until my PS3 had completely given up the ghost. So Ill have to live without.

But Ive had lots of good ideas about possible games to play in the last day or two, plus I still dont quite feel ready to give up on Fallout 4 yet. Ive been playing it again for the past couple of nights and while Im still not bowled over but it, I do feel Im getting to grips with it a bit. I think I jumped into it too quickly after Skyrim to be honest and expected them to be more similar than they were. But now Ive come back to it with reduced expectations, and have spent less time exploring and looking for missions and more time staying close to my Sanctuary and building things up there, I am liking it a bit more.

Oo0AahCantona

Halo as a series for me, combat evolved introduced a lot of staples of modern FPS games which you can give it credit for, but it was seriously overrated as a franchise.