Most unsporting moments

diarm

I didn't think Solskjaer was a scumbag and I didn't think Suarez was a scumbag for the handball (although clearly he was in other incidents). I enjoyed both incidents because they were something different and unexpected in the often very vanilla world of sports.

I also loved the time Steven Taylor stopped the ball with his hand on the line for Newcastle and then went down theatrically as if he'd been shot.

Didn't blame Henry for the handball although I was pissed at the officials for not seeing it and then later on when the French were trying to say it didn't happen.

Players chancing their arm and trying to get away with something they shouldn't often makes for great entertainment. So long as it doesn't stand to injure an opponent, or happen so regularly as to wreck people's heads (diving), I'd be very slow to castigate players for trying the odd sneaky move.

In fact, I'd give extra points for hilarity. That Ross Wallace move above was completely brilliant!

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Always Henry vs Ireland for me..

Nothing wrong with that, the ball came so quickly at him, what was he supposed to do? It's ref's fault for not seeing it.

Solskjaer on the other hand ran almost the entire length of the pitch and could think clearly about what he was doing.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I didn't think Solskjaer was a scumbag and I didn't think Suarez was a scumbag for the handball (although clearly he was in other incidents). I enjoyed both incidents because they were something different and unexpected in the often very vanilla world of sports.

I also loved the time Steven Taylor stopped the ball with his hand on the line for Newcastle and then went down theatrically as if he'd been shot.

Didn't blame Henry for the handball although I was pissed at the officials for not seeing it and then later on when the French were trying to say it didn't happen.

Players chancing their arm and trying to get away with something they shouldn't often makes for great entertainment. So long as it doesn't stand to injure an opponent, or happen so regularly as to wreck people's heads (diving), I'd be very slow to castigate players for trying the odd sneaky move.

In fact, I'd give extra points for hilarity. That Ross Wallace move above was completely brilliant!
I don't see how diving is any different to what Henry did. Or defenders pulling shirts when they think they can get away with it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't consider deliberate fouls (including Suarez's handball) cheating. They know immediately what the repercussions are. They do something instinctive and they take the punishment. Unsporting? Very much so, but I don't see it as cheating. You see it in rugby league sometimes, when a team's defence is disorganised, so they disrupt the playing of the ball after the tackle. It's a penalty, the tackle count resets and they even lose yardage. They take that hit on the chin, but there's still a greater chance of defending with an organised defence, than with a disorganised defence with not all of the 13 men behind the ball, as you're immediately outnumbered.

A dive which wins a penalty and results in being the winning goal; that is cheating. Any kind of dive really. It doesn't have to be something which causes the winning goal, but a penalty and a goal to win the game is the most drastic of circumstances. No matter how decisive the dive, you have influenced the referee by conning him. You've made it appear to him that something happened that did not actually happen. It's sneaky and deceptive. Similarly, Henry's handball. It's much different to Suarez's because he's done it to get away with it. Suarez absolutely knew he wouldn't get away with it, and he was sent off as a result. Henry has chanced his luck, and got away with it, and they scored. Cheating of the highest order.

I also think claiming for throw ins and corners which you absolutely know you are not entitled to is a very mild form of cheating. Again, you are trying to influence the referee and making him believe what you are illegitimately protesting. Though, that does make just about every player on a football pitch a cheater, which is probably true. In football, sportsmanship is dead.

arthurka

Nothing wrong with that, the ball came so quickly at him, what was he supposed to do? It's ref's fault for not seeing it.

Solskjaer on the other hand ran almost the entire length of the pitch and could think clearly about what he was doing.
Yeah scooping the ball with your arm is normal for a footballer. I played football at a decent level for many years take my word for it, it is cheating of the highest order.

Bwuk

Don't see the issue with Ole's foul, Suarez handball or Henry handball.

If it had been Robbie Keane hand balling it and Ireland scoring no-one would be on here complaining.

Players do what they can to win. Handball goals shouldn't count no, but then neither should offside goals.

For me the most unsporting are moments like Suarez biting or racially abusing players.

SirAF

Ageist
I have a hard time believing this to be honest. Players are taught from a young age to nip a dangerous attack in the bud with a professional foul. It's best to take a (usually Yellow) card than to concede a goal.

I think that was pretty instinctual from Solskjaer. I mean it was calculated, but the instinct is that it's best to take him out and deny an inevitable goal than to leave him free to blast it into the net.

If I was Solskjaer and I didn't make that "challenge" I'd have been preparing to avoid Sir Alex for a week.
This. The line about Ferguson is just PR, SAF would have had him for breakfast if Ole had let Lee run clear at the goal and score in that situation.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal

If it had been Robbie Keane hand balling it and Ireland scoring no-one would be on here complaining.

Players do what they can to win. Handball goals shouldn't count no, but then neither should offside goals.

For me the most unsporting are moments like Suarez biting or racially abusing players.
While I do see the issue with them, you're right that your level of outrage generally depends on which team you're supporting.

Which means the outrage is generally not worth much, unfortunately - even condemning Suarez's racist comment too often became a way of adding to inter-club needling more than genuine condemnation.

Oaencha

Quite a few come to mind but Adebayor running the length of the pitch and celebrating his goal in front of the Arsenal fans probably tops the list imo.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'm genuinely not trying to achieve anything or wind anyone up or anything like that, I just genuinely think the two situations are very equivalent.

But yes you're right, will obviously be seen through a different prism on a Man Utd forum admittedly.
The two things are very similar you're right, the only difference being that one of the players plays for our team.

I don't think it's even a subconscious thing. I think most here would openly admit that both cases are unsporting/cheating whatever, but out of loyalty we see a 'cnut's move' being performed by 'our cnut', which makes it fine by us.

Tarrou

Not sure what you expect him to do after a WC QF win. Sulk?
Just expected a bit of humility. By all means celebrate with your teammates but going up on their shoulders like you're the hero? It's a dick move.

Bwuk

Quite a few come to mind but Adebayor running the length of the pitch and celebrating his goal in front of the Arsenal fans probably tops the list imo.
:lol: To be fair to him, hadn't the fans been singing the song about his mum being a whore and his dad washing elephants?

The fans can't expect to give abuse but not get it back.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
That was brilliant. What was wrong with that?

diarm

I don't see how diving is any different to what Henry did. Or defenders pulling shirts when they think they can get away with it.
At root it's no different really. What's annoying about diving is that it happens so regularly that it's not clever, funny or entertaining in any way. I'm all for innovative cheating. Just don't want to see the same thing being allowed go week in week out.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
:lol::lol:
Don't consider Suarez or Solskjaers action as unsportsmanlike. Especially the Suarez criticism is bizarre, he got rightly punished and Ghana had their chance to score the goal. Him celebrating the penalty miss is only understandable, world cup semi finals were on the line ffs.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Actually, tactical fouls are very important in footbal tactics. It's not dissallowed to foul in football so you have to exploit that fact. I mean it is not allowed of course but a free kick in the middle of the pitch or anywhere further away from goal isn't exactly punishment.
Of course they're important because the rules allow it but they shouldn't.

Cynical, deliberate hacking down of a power purely to stop an attack shouldn't be anything other than a red card.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
:lol::lol:
Don't consider Suarez or Solskjaers action as unsportsmanlike. Especially the Suarez criticism is bizarre, he got rightly punished and Ghana had their chance to score the goal. Him celebrating the penalty miss is only understandable, world cup semi finals were on the line ffs.
The Suarez one is unsporting in the sense that Ghana had all but scored, until Suarez decided to break the rules to prevent them scoring a perfectly good goal and progressing in the competition. The fact he was sent off and Ghana were given a penalty is irrelevant, he prevented a certain goal with a deliberate offence going against the conduct of how the game is meant to be played. It's the definition of unsporting behaviour really.

SteveTheRed

So to clarify:

Suarez handballs it on the line, almost as a reflex, sacrifices himself for his country and misses the semi of the world cup , gets a red and gives away a penalty = scumbag.

Soljkaer makes literally no attempt to play the ball in a league match, brings down a player running through one on one with a keeper (who wasn't Schmeichel btw for someone who said it), after another man utd player tries to bundle over another Newcastle player earlier in the move, sacrifices himself with a red but only a free kick for Newcastle = hero?
:lol: you are absolutely right.

Solkjaer was a golden boy though, always regarded as a nice bloke and this was out of character but still he knew what needed to be done.

Saurez is a shitebag, and always will be. Totally in his character to cheat.

Snafu17

Pretty much this. Then again I don't mind diving either. It should be punished obviously, but I don't blame the players for doing it. They're are professionals, it's their job to win and it's understandable that they'll try to do anything to do it. I find diving a lot less cnutish than a potentially injury inducing "crunching" tackle.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
At root it's no different really. What's annoying about diving is that it happens so regularly that it's not clever, funny or entertaining in any way. I'm all for innovative cheating. Just don't want to see the same thing being allowed go week in week out.
Fair enough. Easier to get away with diving than hand ball though.

SteveTheRed

Pretty much this. Then again I don't mind diving either. It should be punished obviously, but I don't blame the players for doing it. They're are professionals, it's their job to win and it's understandable that they'll try to do anything to do it. I find diving a lot less cnutish than a potentially injury inducing "crunching" tackle.
Agreed, some "dives" I can't understand why fans get so annoyed at...if a defender is going to jump into a tackle in the box and not get the ball they have to be expecting it.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
The Suarez one is unsporting in the sense that Ghana had all but scored, until Suarez decided to break the rules to prevent them scoring a perfectly good goal and progressing in the competition. The fact he was sent off and Ghana were given a penalty is irrelevant, he prevented a certain goal with a deliberate offence going against the conduct of how the game is meant to be played. It's the definition of unsporting behaviour really.
Every foul is an offence going against the conduct of how the game is meant to be played. That's the reason referees exist, to accourdingly punish these offences - which was rightly and fair done in that situation. What Suarey did was the same way against the conduct of the game as someone pulling another players shirt - a foul but not an unsporting behaviour.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Every foul is an offence going against the conduct of how the game is meant to be played. That's the reason referees exist, to accourdingly punish these offences - which was rightly and fair done in that situation. What Suarey did was the same way against the conduct of the game as someone pulling another players shirt - a foul but not an unsporting behaviour.
Unsporting isnt absolute or determined by rules, it's really sentimental. What that Ajax player did isnt against the rules but it's just unsporting. So is what Suarez did, its not soortmanship, nor is it cheating. He rightfully got punished but it's just filthy, unsporting.

SirAF

Ageist
I agree. You do what you do to try to win, and it is up to the ref to decide/see it.

lysglimt

Scout
I don't considering it cheating when you deliberately break the rules knowing there is no way you will get away with it. I find it much worse when people cheat to get opponents in trouble. Like a certain West-Ham manager

Big Andy

Bloke

Should have been roundly booed off the pitch, not applauded.
He should've been booed, but only because he didn't completely ruin that fecking dick Rob Lee...

Always hated that cnut, with his fecking shit face, not for any real reason, other than in my panini sticket book as a kid, I swear I got him in EVERY feckING PACK...I had about 45 spares of that cnut, and no cnut wanted to swap them...

THIS ONE....SMUG cnut...

VojjE

Roy Keane's tackle on Håland. I love the man as a player but deliberately trying to hurt your opponent will never be acceptable for me, worse than any handball or dive ever performed.

Omar Little

Cheating?

Cheating is the dive from the Ghanaian to get the free kick that leads to all that:

Cheating is what the linesman does being right in front and awarding that, then not ruling one but four instances of players being offside.

The fact is the English media (BBC in particular) had nothing to report on once England got unceremoniously dumped yet again so they had this "Africa's time" thing going... but then they didn't... so they made hay with what was on offer.

If Ghana had scored nobody would be talking about the dive, made up free kick or the offsides, but that would be a clearer daylight robbery than handball, red and penalty against. Which shouldn't have happened, none of it, and Suarez should have been available for the semis.

Or maybe it is the natural response from someone who just ran himself into the ground for 120 minutes, saw his team getting shafted, knew his World Cup was over, yet couldn't help but be ecstatic at his NT surviving a last minute penalty? What are you? An amoeba?
Or maybe Suarez is just a scummy cnut?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Just expected a bit of humility. By all means celebrate with your teammates but going up on their shoulders like you're the hero? It's a dick move.
It takes two to tango. Being on a teammates' shoulders is more down to a teammate wanting to lift him. Should he tell him "Ih no, please don't or Tarrou on Redcafe will take offence"?

Except that the entire move was riddled with illicit actions (see post above). Dive to get the free kick and two players glaringly offside (one goes on to head at goal).

But yeah, go on wearing the blinkers.

Or maybe Suarez is just a scummy cnut?
An elaborate retort that.

Tarrou

It takes two to tango. Being on a teammates' shoulders is more down to a teammate wanting to lift him. Should he tell him "Ih no, please don't or Tarrou on Redcafe will take offence"?
At the time I didn't know his character so my expectations of him were to act like a decent human being but we all know that's impossible now. Rather than worry about Tarrou from the internet though I'd expect him to spare a thought for the fellow professional he'd just robbed of a winning goal in a world cup quarter final, the rest of his teammates and nation supporting them, and show some respect for those people because it must really, really hurt.