Mourinho: “There are clubs where the old legend doesn’t want the glory of the new"

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's got half a point and as always he's worded it cleverly.

Do some of the old guard want things to be run the same way they had it? Sure.
Do some of the old guard have highly limited skills when it comes to management and coaching? Absolutely
Do some of the old guard overly critical compared to other clubs. Definitely

But wanting us to fail? Nah, I'm not having that. The frustration from the likes of Nev and Scholesy is palpable, they want us to win more than anything imo
He didn't say that, the Sports witness person who tweeted that said it. Typical headline being utter bullshit.

Yeesheng

Have no issues with what Mourinho said.
I'm sick of all the negativity from our legends.

I am willing to bet if we swapped our playing style with Liverpool, and they are second while we are fourth, all these plaudits won't be saying how entertaining and attacking we are. They'll be saying how the defense is shambles and how we have fallen behind a Liverpool.

Sure, I would love to be like City, playing great football and winning, but that's not exactly easy is it? There's so much negativity around but we are second, this is the highest position we've been since SAF. Most fans get on the high horse and say we don't celebrate second, and just focus on the fact we are not first. They are spoilt and refused to accept we have fallen flat on our face. They say Jose has failed but when clearly he's improved the results, he's improved the squad, and hopefully the style will improve too next season.

Jose's right about the lack of credit shown to him and the team.

And Gary's comment on Scott is ridiculous. As a legend of the club, he should know very well how damaging his comments could be to Scott's confidence. Why say it?

And is it even remotely factual? Sure, he might not be a Scholes but was Fletcher's touch that much better when he was 18? Carrick? Keane? Do we even know how good was Park's touch at 18? How about Djemba Djemba? How can Gary say with any certainty Scott can't at least match some of the players above who played in midfield for Manchester United, under SAF?

If they want to behave like legends of the club, they should go out of their way to protect the club. Instead they decide to focus on themselves and be a rent a quote then frankly they don't deserve much protection. Definitely not over the manager of Manchester United.

SAF certainly didn't hold back fights against the media. Lucky for him the older United legends actually cared for the club and didn't come out slating him every time we didn't win the league with fantastic football.
Brilliant post for me. My thought exactly and I feel that our legends are recently part of the negativity surrounding the club.

We need more believers and less haters - if we cannot get support from legends who have such a public role, I am not surprised that some players' confidence is affected. It's a negative cycle that feeds on itself.

Liverpool has the opposite situation though, they can do no wrong and I am sure it helps the players build belief in themselves.

End of day, we are all human and get affected by noise around us (whether you are "professional" or not).

Reactions: SteveJ

Velvet Revolver

There is absolutely nothing wrong in what Jose said. Everyone under the sun has an opinion about us. We are brought into conversations without being asked questions about. Pundits commentators analyst all talk about us without any rhyme or reason.

The likes of Gary and Scholes are pundits, they should be neutral to all clubs, but all i see is them talking about united and only united. What is the need to overextend their negative views. This is pure anti Jose agenda( maybe too strong a word).

The only ex player who talks sense is Rio. He openly admits he is a united fan but that does not come across in his analysis. It's not that hard. This whole punditry nonsense and the Classof 92 branding is tarnishing their legacy!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Fergie had his mistakes and personal battles, but horse thing aside and some other stuff, you always saw team interest in the end.

I sometimes don't see it here, that is all.
was it in the club interest to hire his incompetent brother as chief scout? was it in the club's interest to send a horde of youth on loan to his boy's club only to pull them all out the moment he got sacked? was it in the club's interest to cause a war between the manager and the chief share holders for a frigging horse? Was it in the club's interest to vause a soap opera with keane to sell his books?

SAF was a bloody great manager and we benefited off it as he benefited from being with us. We forgave his misgivings and he gave us trophies. Unlike moyes he knew that this relationship will endure as he pays his dues. So he didn't play nice same as mou is doing

devilish

Hard to blame him considering he was out injured with a broken foot at the time. And we'd went from going 5 games unbeaten to losing at home to Blackburn immediately after his injury. I cant see how he'd have himself to blame when the team were playing absolutely shite following his injury. He was one of our better players prior to the injury. Could have still had a role in the squad.
Keane left, Carrick was signed, we won the league, Keane retired few months later cause his foot was gone.

Who was carrying whom?

devilish

I take such a dislike to people who use the word snowflake as it is usually the sign of a Trump supporter
I am as much of a trump fan as i am of hitler. However i do like the term.

Silver

I don't see anything wrong in Jose's words or implications - he's managing the club in a time when the legends are all critics that means more scrutiny for him and his players than anyone else. He's not wrong to point out the unfairness. Think about it this way, these kind of pundits (ex-manutd legends) weren't around when Fergie booted and sold Beckham.... if they were then would they apply the same kind of scrutiny as they're doing now? Or when Ruud left? Or when Jaap Stam left? It just seems like the ex-players who are pundits can't separate themselves from the club in an objective way and it gets worse the longer they're away from the club. We never had ex-united players constantly hammering on every aspect when Neville, Scholes and co were playing yet now we're supposed to take their every word as gospel? Again, if that were the case then they would be managers somewhere. I love the class of 92 but I don't take their punditry as the be all and end all.

Miscemayl

@Miscemayl Neville was right about McTominay and it isn't his job to look after our players confidence. That's the role of the manager who is happy to slaughter his players in public to defend himself. Also Scott is going to be 22 in December.
It's not his job but as someone that loves and cares about this club, why go slaughter him anyways?

I don't watch many Liverpool matches but I don't recall hearing their ex pro slaughtering their youth prospects. Heck I don't recall Neville slaughtering other prospects apart from ours.

And oops about the age but the point still stands, is his touch really that much worse than the other players when they were at his age?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

VP

It's easy to see why he was sacked from his last two jobs. If these comments were in isolation, they'd be ok but he seems obsessed with blaming everyone else. I just wish he dedicated all this energy towards coaching an attacking football team instead of nurturing his own ego

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's not his job but as someone that loves and cares about this club, why go slaughter him anyways?

I don't watch many Liverpool matches but I don't recall hearing their ex pro slaughtering their youth prospects. Heck I don't recall Neville slaughtering other prospects apart from ours.

And oops about the age but the point still stands, is his touch really that much worse than the other players when they were at his age?
You can be damn sure he wouldn’t have slaughtered him if he had chosen England.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
was it in the club interest to hire his incompetent brother as chief scout? was it in the club's interest to send a horde of youth on loan to his boy's club only to pull them all out the moment he got sacked? was it in the club's interest to cause a war between the manager and the chief share holders for a frigging horse? Was it in the club's interest to vause a soap opera with keane to sell his books?

SAF was a bloody great manager and we benefited off it as he benefited from being with us. We forgave his misgivings and he gave us trophies. Unlike moyes he knew that this relationship will endure as he pays his dues. So he didn't play nice same as mou is doing
Bloody hell. Is it possible to defend Jose without this crap? I just can't understand.

Oscie

I think he has a point. I do think certain ex-players seem to have an ownership complex when it comes to the club. Criticism when it's due is fair but we've finished our highest league position in 5 years and in after tomorrow could have secured our third piece of silverware in 2 seasons under him. He's entitled to respond to some of the attacks on him and his players. Do you really think that if Fergie was criticised by former United players in regards to his management of the club he'd stay silent? No chance. He'd be less subtle about it than Jose.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If Giggs's the manager, the club could finish in 6th position and the likes of G.Nev and Scholes will still support him.

Tells you a lot about how "neutral" They are. They love the club in a wrong way (They act as if the club is theirs and moan whenever something isn't that of 'United of old'). They think the class of 92 know better about the club and Jose is an "outsider", making him an easy target.

I choose to forget about their existence these days and remember only the times when They weren't spouting bollocks on telly and instead, talked on the pitch.

Scholes used to be a really quiet player with class now look at where He is. He talks too much without essence, most of his criticsms don't make sense. He's almost as bad as Owen. GNev can be a pretentious cnut at times. Rio is still like able.

wolvored

I think the old pro's look at the team and think how the mighty have fallen. Its took 5 years to finish 2nd! and maybe thats our lot for a season or two to come. Obviously Mourinho will defend himself and just looking at the results has hauled us back up there. I think they mainly moan about the style of play as well. Without a good overhaul of players, this will be the norm under Mourinho.

Coxy

I don't think any of our legends want the club to fail, Jose needs to realise that he doesn't help himself replying to everything and everyone who criticises him, its getting tiring.
This - it’s pathetic. But then we knew what we were getting when we signed him

Mainoldo

So Porto, Inter and Chelsea are not built on tradition?
He won the league with Madrid too.
Porto are not as big as Sporting or Benfica with ‘heritage’

Inter are basically the Italian Chelsea always spending money but never actually won zilch until Juventus and AC got points deducted making them hand pick from their rivals.

Chelsea well we know there story

Madrid fans wanted him out even after he won the title. They didn’t like his arrogance, philosophy and disregard to their ‘heritage’

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Picking fights. He's coming across a delusional.
He's echoing what 90% of the Caf has been saying for a while, but when Jose says it, immediately it's seen in a different light.

Marcky411

It's easy to see why he was sacked from his last two jobs. If these comments were in isolation, they'd be ok but he seems obsessed with blaming everyone else. I just wish he dedicated all this energy towards coaching an attacking football team instead of nurturing his own ego
Fully agree. If he had Utd playing any form of decent football these legends would not have to confirm publicly what everyone is seeing week in week out of the field. How can you expect them to sit there on TV and praise him and the team for the dross being put on display, it is there jobs to comment on the game in front of them.
If Jose saw to it that the team performed in a manner that they can be positive about, they would be the first to say positive things about the club they served so well.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
When Dwight Yorke says Pep can win the league with this squad that's downright insulting, coming from an ex player.

If he's an a club ambassador can't respect a fellow employee by publicly saying a rival manager would be doing a better job then it's an open season

Marcky411

When you prefer to listen to Carragher than Gary fecking neville, it says alot
Not really Carragher can be diplomatic and sugar coat things, if Neville had to do that he would crucified in the press and social media for wearing blinkers and being biased.

Donnie Brasco

Porto are not as big as Sporting or Benfica with ‘heritage’

Inter are basically the Italian Chelsea always spending money but never actually won zilch until Juventus and AC got points deducted making them hand pick from their rivals.

Chelsea well we know there story

Madrid fans wanted him out even after he won the title. They didn’t like his arrogance, philosophy and disregard to their ‘heritage’
:lol::lol: Some of you need to check facts before posting seriously.
Porto has more european trophies than Sporting and Benfica. They have more than City, Arsenal combined. They have 10 more league trophies than Sporting.

Inter has more european cup trophies than us, but yes they have never won zilch.:rolleyes:

The ultras of Real Madrid, "Ultras Sur" absolutely loved Mourinho.

In his last game as Madrid manager they personally thanked him with a plaque for his time as Madrid manager.

ivaldo

I see, so you pulled 90% thing out of nowhere, gotcha.
Erm yeah? Most adults know not to take that sort of expression literally. Do you're a favour and take a gander at the Scholes and Neville threads, for example. The overwhelming majority feel the same.

R'hllor

Erm yeah? Most adults know not to take that sort of expression literally. Do you're a favour and take a gander at the Scholes and Neville threads, for example. The overwhelming majority feel the same.
To back up that statement properly, can you pull made up % for that too, thanks.

UpWithRivers

Why are we in a world of such babies. Omg Mourinho said ex players want the club to fail! Omg Mourinho said our back up strikers are sht. So what. Pull yourself together. Its only his opinion. He has the right to give it.

Mainoldo

Porto has more european trophies than Sporting and Benfica. They have more than City, Arsenal combined. They have 10 more league trophies than Sporting.

Inter has more european cup trophies than us, but yes they have never won zilch.:rolleyes:

In his last game as Madrid manager they personally thanked him with a plaque for his time as Madrid manager.
There not the biggest team in Portugal and how many of those trophies are under his reign and post Mourinho? Hence my point there weren’t the team with the biggest ‘heritage’ in that league. Why have you brought up English clubs to compare with Porto?

European trophies? How many Chanpions leagues? Yet again... why are you comparing different clubs from different leagues? They are not as big as Juventus or AC Milan in Italy neither do they have their ‘heritage’ but they are renowned for spending big and never quite being the best in Italy.

I’m sure Madrid fans did but they were happy to see the back of him.

ivaldo

To back up that statement properly, can you pull made up % for that too, thanks.
Life much be a real struggle for you. When someone says they could kill for a pint, do you dive for cover?

R'hllor

Life much be a real struggle for you. When someone says they could kill for a pint, do you dive for cover?
Yes it is and always. Still that doesnt change a fact that you made up majority of the people here and how they agree with a JM statements, on top of it you backed it up with 90% number pulled out your own arse.

ivaldo

Yes it is and always. Still that doesnt change a fact that you made up majority of the people here and how they agree with a JM statements, on top of it you backed it up with 90% number pulled out your own arse.
Its a facht is it? Can you prove that or are you just pulling that out of your arse?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

Fans wanted him out for his arrogance and philosophy(shit football) as he said.those are four Nazis who are prohibited from entering Bernabéu. That is the reason for the creation of the new animation group.Although he has some fans among press is not the best example.
Look when Ultra Sur chanted his name,the reaction of Bernabéu.