Mourinho - Appreciation Thread

Nori-

Whether rival fans love him or hate him, one thing they have to do, is respect what he has achieved.

His record is immense. He kicks the door down, walks into the room and gets the job done.

Womp

idiot
Next season I wouldn't be surprised to see us properly challenge for the title, think how difficult this season has been has been a learning experience for him. Then if we can survive his dreaded third season syndrome (assuming he has one, of course, which I doubt given player power isn't an issue here) then we're on course. He seems more mature and it's obvious he wants to settle down, hopefully it's here.

Zii

He came back to us in a shocking state as a club and off the worst sacking and result as a manger he has ever seen and still delivered 3 trophies and champions league.

He will have grown so much as a person during that Chelsea stint

AXVnee7

Love the man. This is the man that should have taken over Sir Alex. Either way, we are moving in the right direction with his leadership.
Agreed, but I think his stint at Chelsea happened for the better. Yes a blessing in disguise. He needed to have that experience where he was utterly clueless to prevent it happening here.

gr3yham3

As people have mentioned, this season was not just difficult for him as manager of Manchester United, due to our need for a rebuild and regaining of confidence, but it was to exorcise his personal demons as well. So many pundits and football watchers have called him "past it" after he was sacked from the Chelsea job, and started to compare him to the "new wave" coaches like Conte and Poch. I think this affected him a lot, and winning this trophy and qualifying for UCL will have removed those demons from Jose. I think we will see a more relaxed, happy and confident Jose next season.

His plan for the team is also very structured. He came in unsure of which players he could trust in the squad he inherited, brought in 4 players that he knew he needed to bring in more grit and winning mentality quickly, gained the trust and performances of the likes of Valencia and Herrera and more, had to deal with crucial injuries. But now he knows what he needs, that icing on the cake to turn us into challenges again. Watch us go and spend the cash this summer to add those finishing touches to the spine of the team that Jose has created - the Greizmanns, Silvas of the world.

I hope he continues to achieve success with us, and for a long time so that he can be mentioned in similar terms to Sir Alex in the future.

Jaybomb

He's just brilliant. Loved his celebration and delighted to finally have him after all these years.

Let's hope he leaves a Ferguson type legacy at the club.

red4ever 79

Been a long season. He surely realizes just how big a job he has on his plate right now. Perhaps he underestimated the playing staff. Will be casualties this summer. All in all a good season. Get some rest Jose, smoke some cigars, drink some wine, and next season we better play a better quality game with strikers who can score

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Congratulations for the Europa League,well done.Not the biggest fan of Mourinho but I have to admit that his plan was perfect.
C.L + an international trophy the first year

Gause

Great video. The part where he says dealing with fragile players is his biggest weakness as a manager is interesting. Apparently he doesn't understand their way of thinking, deals better with players who share a same mentality to him ie; win at all costs. Says he loves Rashford so much because he can keep on pushing him and Rashford will respond.
And I think that's the part where people misunderstand him when it comes to the way he treats certain players. I mean, he's been working with world's best footballers since the start of his career, and he knows exactly that players with superb mentality win you games and titles. Sir Alex had built generations of winners who shared that intense mentality and I hope Jose can build one or more with us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akshay

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Was beautiful watching him celebrate like a mad man.. so much passion - really delighted for him and it is going to be one helluva summer!

ti vu

A winner, something we need.

I always thought we should have got him after Fergie. But in a way, its possible he might have been gone by now if that was the case and we would be back in the same position. Now its sorta like hes gone a humble route, he wants this to be long term imo, and hes building his own team.
Trophies keep us going and most of his signings have been embedded into the team. Now he can have another window of getting 4 or 5 players to fit into this team, along with some youngsters.

I think we have a better chance of winning the CL than the league because of the way he sets it up. Hopefully the players he brings in can concentrate the full 90 and pull it off the majority of the games.
I agree that Mourinho could have done much better right after SAF, but it could give a false sense of SAF's foundation. SAF's legacy is not in the squad, but the standard, the mentality, the upgraded stature of the club during his reign. If Mourinho came in & get success, then we may become too deluded & at the first sign of bad result we would get rid of him for his antic leaving us with bad choice of managers to pick. There ain't not many managers out there, let alone competent compatible one for our tradition. Mourinho after what happened has learned to humble himself, while as the club we're more realistic about our progress.

While anything can happen in football & cup game can be more influenced by lucky drawing, style of play can't be a guarantee to make us better in CL than the league. We looked vulnerable in EL at times too. Rostov could have brought us into extra time at OT with the last kick of the game. Anderlecht & Celta made quite a hard job for us & they're far from the top favorite teams in EL. Real CL level teams would do well to punish us. I am talking Dortmund, Monaco, PSG tier here, & it's not even the higher tier. I know atm it feel like we can do it, but realistically in a long season, it's really much tougher than it sounds.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I've never understood the hate toward Mourinho. Even when he was at Chelsea I thought highly of him. Too many people concentrate on his mannerisms, mood and general demeanour. Well, he's a football manager, he's not their to entertain you at the drop of a hat, he can react how he wants, his job is to get results from his team.

And it's this that he's great at. He gets results (OK OK, we could have one a lot more of our 15 draws this season, but at least they weren't losses).

I rate his man management. There's no grey area with this guy, don't want to work for your place in the team? He'll call you out. Still don't want to work? F**k off then. You want to work for the team? Great, follow my instructions, do as I say and you'll be rewarded.

I like that. I like him. Excited as we move on with him at the helm.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm happy for him.
For most of the year, you could see he was low on confidence.

crossy1686

career ending
He's just brilliant. Loved his celebration and delighted to finally have him after all these years.

Let's hope he leaves a Ferguson type legacy at the club.
I second this.

Let's not forget, we've been looking like things could only get worse for the last couple of seasons, we certainly weren't on the way back up. Jose's come in, stopped the rot and won a few trophies on the way, all in his first season.

Now we have a solid platform to build upon for the first time since SAF left. I'm optimistic at the moment and depending on who we sign in the summer, next season could be great for us again. I'm not expecting the league but we should be competitive on all fronts.

Anyway, lets hope Jose's feeling settled and stays for a long, long time. It's not like he's got anything else left to prove. He'll eventually end up in international management but not for another 10 years or so hopefully!

lococol

Jose is just 54 years old. Fergie managed until 71 (which was exceptional). Even if Jose goes until 65. What an exciting number of years to come. I think he has matured enough to avoid any more meltdowns now and wants to settle at one club. Perhaps he needs to moan a bit less but tactically he is second to none (not his fault the strikers wern't converting most of the chances all season). He always wanted the united job and now he has put his stamp on this once great club. There is still a lot of work to do but I genuinely believe he will retire here. Buzzing this morning. :)

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

His post match interview was so good, you could see the relief and pressure off his shoulders. I think it's been far more stressful to manage the club than he was expecting, especially when you don't perform in the league.

I particularly loved his digs at Liverpool. He mocked pretty football and the pressing game for not winning any trophies this season. And he is completely right.

RedorDead21

Jose is just 54 years old. Fergie managed until 71 (which was exceptional). Even if Jose goes until 65. What an exciting number of years to come. I think he has matured enough to avoid any more meltdowns now and wants to settle at one club. Perhaps he needs to moan a bit less but tactically he is second to none (not his fault the strikers wern't converting most of the chances all season). He always wanted the united job and now he has put his stamp on this once great club. There is still a lot of work to do but I genuinely believe he will retire here. Buzzing this morning. :)
He's living in a hotel isn't he?.....doesn't strike me as someone preparing to put down roots.

Minimalist

I loved his passion at the final whistle in particular. Fire certainly hasn't died just yet.

Tactics were perfect last night too. Ajax are a very talented side but had no answers in the end.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So, I was among the rare fans who wanted the club to play the EL seriously and win it, so I'm really happy about that and Mourinho kept Romero into the team which in my view gives him a ton of credits, that last point puts me in his team.

But it's not a good enough season, next year will have to be far better and I'm hopeful that it will be far better.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Mixed bag for me. He's brilliant in interviews and looks like a moviestar. Easy to love if he coaches your team, but as a neutral I'm not a fan. I appreciate the fact he's here though he's the guy you love to hate. He wins it all and does it in his own way and doesnt give two shites.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
If we're going to back his three trophies thing as a club, that means David Moyes is finally a genuine winner.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
It's been a very difficult couple of seasons for him so I'm delighted he can end it on a high note. I'm not expecting miracles next season but given his history of having great second seasons challenging for the league and making the quarters in the Champions League doesn't seem too far fetched.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Delighted we got the man we should have got after Fergie retired. I believe we would have carried on where Fergie left off.

However we have Jose now, i hope he stays and builds a new Jose Dynasty and after 26 years we name a stand after him too.

I do miss the LVG pressers though!

markelphick

Jose what a great manager! So happy we have him at our club. Hope he stays with us many more years.

sugar_kane

Whatever else you want to say about Mourinho he won two trophies in his first season, not one of our previous managers has won even one trophy in their first season.

He joins Fergie and Busby as the only managers to have delivered European silverwear.

He added to the trophy room the only major trophy we hadn't won in our illustrious existence.

He has done this while being under enormous pressure and on the back of an absolute catastrophe of a season at Chelsea where everyone wrote him off.

He has criticised some of our players but you can see most of them love him and are enjoying their football again.

He's living in a hotel isn't he?.....doesn't strike me as someone preparing to put down roots.
This is kind of weird - with all the money has he could afford to buy a top notch flat anywhere in Greater Manchester or Cheshire and pay for his own staff, and it wouldn't even matter that he wasn't there half the time.

I wouldn't put his living in the Lowry down to not putting down roots as footballers/managers buy places all the time and move on sometimes after only a year.

Maybe he just likes hanging out with celebs in the Lowry :cool:

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Was just going through the Rio interview they had aired after the match; Is this the first time Mourinho admits a flaw (wrt handling 'delicate' players)? Seemed calm and you could see how Rio agreed with his bit about winning at all costs. I hope Mourinho does a SAF and creates a legacy here.

Big Andy

Bloke
This is kind of weird - with all the money has he could afford to buy a top notch flat anywhere in Greater Manchester or Cheshire and pay for his own staff, and it wouldn't even matter that he wasn't there half the time.

I wouldn't put his living in the Lowry down to not putting down roots as footballers/managers buy places all the time and move on sometimes after only a year.

Maybe he just likes hanging out with celebs in the Lowry :cool:
He's got a scam going with a big plate...

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Reminds a bit of Bill Belichick at the Patriots? the way he sets his gameplan out to shut down what the opposition does well, take away/minimise their strengths and force them to have to change up to beat you.
The style of tactic obviously works. I mean it's difficult to argue otherwise.