Mourinho at Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Apparently he shook every-single PSG player's hands. If true then fair play to him... I hate saying it but he went up a little in my estimation. The khunt.

AshfordLad

It ain't over til it's over. We lost 0-3 at home to Inter and beat them 1-5 in the San Siro.
With all due respect to arsenal... bwahahahahahahhahahha

Dont get me wrong it may still happen but that team had Henry, Pires, Vieira, Campbell and all. While your current team has giroud.

AshfordLad

Could do with a bit of respeck since you just had your arse whupped in the cup and aren't even in the CL.
I respected your team 10 years back but you have to admit your current one is a bit of a joke. Going out on away goals to psg is still better than losing at home to monaco.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Although he did more or less say that PSG were dirty and that Chelsea were better individually. Standard backhanded stuff
I disagree, it is partially backhanded, but not that much. I actually think he's being honest when saying "not dirty", and calls it "clever, intelligent". Because he goes on to say that "other teams are better prepared from a mental point of view to handle this great part of the game". He also honestly sides with the idea of "our continental" football.

In short, I think he's saying that Chelsea players aren't as effective at the mental and "clever" side of football because in England that is seen as dirty. And I think he's right, though Chelsea players did get an opponent sent off, PSG players were obviously dominating those mental battles near the later stages of the game, not by doing it more, but by doing it better. Their time-wasting was indeed effective, and Chelsea did little to none of it when ahead.

Obviously biased on his assessment (there were far more important things that PSG did better than Chelsea) but not completely dishonest or cynical.

AshfordLad

Arse can score 3 against Monaco. They're not gone yet.
wont help if they concede 2 doing it. Monaco has the meanest defenses in CL this year. Add to that arsenal's own defensive frailties and its a near impossible task.

Still, I did hedge my comments by saying it migth still happen. Expecting it to happen is pure delusion though.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
My view has nothing to do with today, I have been saying it for a few years now and I said it a few months ago here as well.

Since his RM days he has lost his invincibility. From his first Chelsea time until 2010 it was like no matter how shite the football at least he would guarantee a win much much more often than not. Before 2010's CL final I was as sure as I had ever been that the game will be extremely boring but Inter winning will never be in doubt unless there was an early read card against Inter.

But since his RM days he had lost this. Maybe it was the 5-0 loss against Barca. Maybe he has lost some motivation and energy. Maybe he has lost his luck and maybe he has been left behind regarding modern tactics and has failed to adapt.

And while until 2009/10 he was definitely among the top 3 managers around, now there are a few who are at least as good as him and some of them in addition play much better football, others are even much younger than him, others give youth a chance.

And while obviously he is still a great manager, he isn't really extraordinary any more.

In the end as far as I am concerned, if you are managing a top team with money, playing negative football, moaning so much that it actually has the opposite/negative effect, still not giving academy products a chance, then you for sure have to win as much as possible to make up for all of it in order to be regarded as the very best. But for a few years now he has been losing too many important games for this. There really is nothing special about him anymore.

And before anyone says he'd still have him at United above LvG, well there are literally at least 10 managers who imho considering all (style of play, youth integration, trophies or even winning potential with a top team's budget, etc.) would be much better suited to manage us than Mourinho.

I for sure hope we never hire him.

steve9

My view has nothing to do with today, I have been saying it for a few years now and I said it a few months ago here as well.

Since his RM days he has lost his invincibility. From his first Chelsea time until 2010 it was like no matter how shite the football at least he would guarantee a win much much more often than not. Before 2010's CL final I was as sure as I had ever been that the game will be extremely boring but Inter winning will never be in doubt unless there was an early read card against Inter.

But since his RM days he had lost this. Maybe it was the 5-0 loss against Barca. Maybe he has lost some motivation and energy. Maybe he has lost his luck and maybe he has been left behind regarding modern tactics and has failed to adapt.

And while until 2009/10 he was definitely among the top 3 managers around, now there are a few who are at least as good as him and some of them in addition play much better football, others are even much younger than him, others give youth a chance.

And while obviously he is still a great manager, he isn't really extraordinary any more.

In the end as far as I am concerned, if you are managing a top team with money, playing negative football, moaning so much that it actually has the opposite/negative effect, still not giving academy products a chance, then you for sure have to win as much as possible to make up for all of it in order to be regarded as the very best. But for a few years now he has been losing too many important games for this. There really is nothing special about him anymore.

And before anyone says he'd still have him at United above LvG, well there are literally at least 10 managers who imho considering all (style of play, youth integration, trophies or even winning potential with a top team's budget, etc.) would be much better suited to manage us than Mourinho.

I can only echo that. I hope he's never coaching a team I care for. Fortunately so long he never did. That way I can really chear whenever he's losing. I hate his style of football more than anything.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Great first leg, then a rubbish second leg. Not something I was expecting.
PSG were great though. We're missing Schürrle :(

I don't buy the mentality thing, that's just a red herring. I am not too happy with his approach today.
He should've made a change that was more than just bringing in Willian for Oscar or later adding Drogba as a second striker.
I've seen those kind of subtitutions too often this season.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

Not that I completely disagree with you but who are these 10 managers?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Arse can score 3 against Monaco. They're not gone yet.
We definitely can, though we need to score one very early on to give the players some real belief.

Such a shame we bottled it in typical fashion... That last goal especially killed us and was unacceptable. I'm still mad just thinking about it, though luckily dumping United out of the FA Cup on their home-turf has somewhat softened the blow.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
wont help if they concede 2 doing it. Monaco has the meanest defenses in CL this year. Add to that arsenal's own defensive frailties and its a near impossible task.

Still, I did hedge my comments by saying it migth still happen. Expecting it to happen is pure delusion though.
Agreed. We need to defend much better this leg, we simply can't afford to concede any goals.

I just can't fathom how we allow a team who has scored barely over a goal per game this season (26 in 25 in the league up until our first leg) to put three past us, away from home. Sigh. The lift of a gooner I guess.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Agreed. We need to defend much better this leg, we simply can't afford to concede any goals.

I just can't fathom how we allow a team who has scored barely over a goal per game this season (26 in 25 in the league up until our first leg) to put three past us, away from home. Sigh. The lift of a gooner I guess.
Don't lose faith, these CL matches showed that despite the good first leg result, the home team in the return leg isn't assured of anything (Chelsea and Real). You're going to have to attack a lot and not concede, that's the main pb, not conceding a goal.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Yup. If you consider winning trophies as nothing special.

We're spoilt under Fergie, there are clubs that's still clinging on an FA cup win they won 20 years ago.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
:lol: Precious this thread.

Doesn't surprise me that Arsenal fans have posted in great numbers since last night. Along with their 'top 4 trophy', schadenfruede at United or Chelsea's failure has been their biggest success in the last 10 years.

Viral United

Mourinho is always defensive coach, So sometime its bound to happen/
Sometime defensive work will not help and opposition team can nick the goal.
Its football its happens.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Mourinho is always defensive coach, So sometime its bound to happen/
Sometime defensive work will not help and opposition team can nick the goal.
Its football its happens.
I would say that he is very pragmatic. Sometimes, when it doesn't work, it can make you look like a fool.

He is a very good, he is no Fergie though. I don't know why coaches do not pay more attention to Fergie's formula on rotation. In this day and age, you just cannot play practically the same XI every week. Chelsea's players looked both mentally and physically drained last night. It's too hard to maintain the levels of concentration that Jose desires when those players have already played 50 games each so far in the season.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I would say that he is very pragmatic. Sometimes, when it doesn't work, it can make you look like a fool.

He is a very good, he is no Fergie though. I don't know why coaches do not pay more attention to Fergie's formula on rotation. In this day and age, you just cannot play practically the same XI every week. Chelsea's players looked both mentally and physically drained last night. It's too hard to maintain the levels of concentration that Jose desires when those players have already played 50 games each so far in the season.
Fergie's formula on rotation in our latter years screwed us over on multiple occasions.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Fergie's formula on rotation in our latter years screwed us over on multiple occasions.
I don't agree with that. I think it helped us as we did not have a top quality squad. His rotation and fielding XI players that were fresher (and ofcourse better) than the opposition had us win the PL consistently.

united_99

Not that I completely disagree with you but who are these 10 managers?
Already proven:

Guardiola (wins at least as much while playing better football and integrating youth)

Klopp (wins with much much less budget and plays nice football)

Simeone (his football despite defensive is not as negative as Mourinho's and Simeone at least has the excuse of a much cheaper squad / much lower budget. Plus this season he has been trying to give his team another dimension in attack, it hasn't always worked out but he is trying to do it gradually. Last but not least he plays academy players + young players). Inn short: Not a coward!

Ancelotti (better football, tactically much more flexible than Mourinho, I am not impressed with his league record or youth record, but I still prefer him to Mourinho)

Not saying these four are perfect or don't have flaws, but I prefer them to the flaws Mourinho has.

Then there's a huge gap between these 4 and some others, but I would still take that risk than a manager at United who is so risk averse (and yes that's what I don't like about LvG either):

Koemann, Pochettino, AvB, Emery (and that's before even considering international managers such as Löw or Del Bosque).

Now I am not even close to saying they are better managers than Mourinho and if for example United hadn't won the league for over a decade then I would say: "OK, ignore the style of play and anything else, just hire him for winning the league because he is indeed great at winning league titles."

But thankfully that's not the case. Maybe I am spoilt due to Fergie winnng trophies all the time and that period not being too far in the past, but I am much more satisfied with a manager who plays good football or / and has the balls to take some risks / to adapt over time and for the love of God give at least some kids a chance (which also falls under the category "take risks", noone is going to kill you for that).

Now I don't want a manager doing a Wenger and failing to win a trophy for a decade, but just winning with that kind of budget and neglecting/ignoring all other parts which are valued in football is not enough to me. In addition as I have already said if your only great attribute is "winning" then at least win the games you are expected to win. But what was he doing last year? Playing for a 0-0 at the Calderon, then starting with 6 defenders at home against a team on much lower budget than his team. End result? Still no win to make up for it, but a convincing 1-3 loss at home by the master tactician. Hell if you go out like that, then at least go out after having had a real go and not after having been outed as a coward again.

And regarding yesterday: Moaning, disrespecting the French league, getting opposition's best player unfairly sent off for more than a half and extra time, being estremely lucky that Costa remained on the pitch, result? No win by the "winner" Mourinho, but an embarrassing display.

So what is left in the end? A league title? Fair enough and noone ever suggested he was a bad or average manager. But no, thank you. Pellegrini won the league last season in his first season ever in England by playing much much better football.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Already proven:

Guardiola (wins at least as much while playing better football and integrating youth)

Klopp (wins with much much less budget and plays nice football)

Simeone (his football despite defensive is not as negative as Mourinho's and Simeone at least has the excuse of a much cheaper squad / much lower budget. Plus this season he has been trying to give his team another dimension in attack, it hasn't always worked out but he is trying to do it gradually. Last but not least he plays academy players + young players). Inn short: Not a coward!

Ancelotti (better football, tactically much more flexible than Mourinho, I am not impressed with his league record or youth record, but I still prefer him to Mourinho)

Not saying these four are perfect or don't have flaws, but I prefer them to the flaws Mourinho has.

Then there's a huge gap between these 4 and some others, but I would still take that risk than a manager at United who is so risk averse (and yes that's what I don't like about LvG either):

Koemann, Pochettino, AvB, Emery (and that's before even considering international managers such as Löw or Del Bosque).

Now I am not even close to saying they are better managers than Mourinho and if for example United hadn't won the league for over a decade then I would say: "OK, ignore the style of play and anything else, just hire him for winning the league because he is indeed great at winning league titles."

But thankfully that's not the case. Maybe I am spoilt due to Fergie winnng trophies all the time and that period not being too far in the past, but I am much more satisfied with a manager who plays good football or / and has the balls to take some risks / to adapt over time and for the love of God give at least some kids a chance (which also falls under the category "take risks", noone is going to kill you for that).

Now I don't want a manager doing a Wenger and failing to win a trophy for a decade, but just winning with that kind of budget and neglecting/ignoring all other parts which are valued in football is not enough to me. In addition as I have already said if your only great attribute is "winning" then at least win the games you are expected to win. But what was he doing last year? Playing for a 0-0 at the Calderon, then starting with 6 defenders at home against a team on much lower budget than his team. End result? Still no win to make up for it, but a convincing 1-3 loss at home by the master tactician. Hell if you go out like that, then at least go out after having had a real go and not after having been outed as a coward again.

And regarding yesterday: Moaning, disrespecting the French league, getting opposition's best player unfairly sent off for more than a half and extra time, being estremely lucky that Costa remained on the pitch, result? No win by the "winner" Mourinho, but an embarrassing display.

So what is left in the end? A league title? Fair enough and noone ever suggested he was a bad or average manager. But no, thank you. Pellegrini won the league last season in his first season ever in England by playing much much better football.
Sir Bobby is that you?

Klopp who had his team in the relegation places after half a season despite having the second best/most expensive squad in the league? Anyways I'm not going to deconstruct every manager on the list, suffice to say you've already made it a matter of preference. Things you like rather than objective facts. The fact that you'd rather have AVB,Koemann and Pochettino over Mourinho just does not seem like you're making a football decision. Blaming him for the refs incompetence yesterday is really stretching it too.

Yes a league title. The ultimate prize in English football. The guys teams score more than most, concede less than most and average more points than most. Oh and he wins trophies. We are spoilt as United fans. I was apprehensive of getting him to replace Fergie too, more because of his personal antics like the eye poke etc. But when it comes to football, the man knows his shit. His results over more than a decade are amazing. He's done it in the three different top leagues. He's won the Champions league twice. Implying that any semi competent manager would be better than Mourinho is to completely ignore the dynamics of a top club and to dismiss his historic achievements.

I see where you're coming from but I think you're cherry picking to support a conclusion you came to because of emotion.

united_99

Sir Bobby is that you?

Klopp who had his team in the relegation places after half a season despite having the second best/most expensive squad in the league? Anyways I'm not going to deconstruct every manager on the list, suffice to say you've already made it a matter of preference. Things you like rather than objective facts. The fact that you'd rather have AVB,Koemann and Pochettino over Mourinho just does not seem like you're making a football decision. Blaming him for the refs incompetence yesterday is really stretching it too.

Yes a league title. The ultimate prize in English football. The guys teams score more than most, concede less than most and average more points than most. Oh and he wins trophies. We are spoilt as United fans. I was apprehensive of getting him to replace Fergie too, more because of his personal antics like the eye poke etc. But when it comes to football, the man knows his shit. His results over more than a decade are amazing. He's done it in the three different top leagues. He's won the Champions league twice. Implying that any semi competent manager would be better than Mourinho is to completely ignore the dynamics of a top club and to dismiss his historic achievements.

I see where you're coming from but I think you're cherry picking to support a conclusion you came to because of emotion.
Well you can't blame him for the sending off? Fine. But can't you also blame him for not winning the tie despite the sending off?

"The fact that you'd rather have AVB,Koemann and Pochettino over Mourinho just does not seem like you're making a football decision" You see that statement is one of the things which is wrong with football. Every fan who values winning above all thinks every other fan should do the same. So nowadays football can be reduced to just winning, right? What has happend to football = entertainment? Or football = taking pride in seeing own youth product playing for the first team? .....

Oh and Klopp has been doing wonders (including beating Mourinho's RM 4-1 in the CL) with much much less money. And he is not in the relegation places anymore, as season even in Germany doesn't finish in December or January.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
My problem has always been that he's a massive dickhead, who has constantly managed teams full of massive dickheads who grind and cheat their way to trophies, despite generally being far better funded than all their rivals. I do kind of think this might not bother their fans at the time and I would be the same but, I dunno, it would be nice to aspire to something a bit better than that.

And yes, I'm aware these are stones in a glass house, coming immediately after Januzaj and Di Maria's dives and supporting a team with a manager who many also consider a dickhead. Still, the point stands. All those years ago when I actually supported a successful team we played far more enjoyable football to watch than what has been produced by most Mourinho sides. With a lot less of the ass-hattery we saw last night.

Really pains me to say it but the approach and football played by Liverpool that got them to finish ahead of Chelsea in the league last season would be infinitely preferable to that of any Mourinho team I've ever watched. Surely there's another Rodgers out there somewhere, without the Brentisms, fake tan, bleached teeth and dubious record in the transfer market?

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Well you can't blame him for the sending off? Fine. But can't you also blame him for not winning the tie despite the sending off?

"The fact that you'd rather have AVB,Koemann and Pochettino over Mourinho just does not seem like you're making a football decision" You see that statement is one of the things which is wrong with football. Every fan who values winning above all thinks every other fan should do the same. So nowadays football can be reduced to just winning, right? What has happend to football = entertainment? Or football = taking pride in seeing own youth product playing for the first team? .....

Oh and Klopp has been doing wonders (including beating Mourinho's RM 4-1 in the CL) with much much less money. And he is not in the relegation places anymore, as season even in Germany doesn't finish in December or January.
Football for the fans can be whatever you want it to be. Like I said we were spoiled by Fergie. If United never win another trophy as long as I live I'll be ok with it. We have won more than 99% of other teams fans over the fergie era. But for professionals within the game, for managers and players, there is a peak. The Champions league and the other top leagues are this peak. The best teams, players, coaches go head to head. So while I agree that winning is not everything, not winning will get you Wenger who you also didn't want.

united_99

Football for the fans can be whatever you want it to be. Like I said we were spoiled by Fergie. If United never win another trophy as long as I live I'll be ok with it. We have won more than 99% of other teams fans over the fergie era. But for professionals within the game, for managers and players, there is a peak. The Champions league and the other top leagues are this peak. The best teams, players, coaches go head to head. So while I agree that winning is not everything, not winning will get you Wenger who you also didn't want.
True. So winning + at least one of the following style/entertainment and developing players from the own rank for a top team with Chelsea's budget shouldn't be too much to ask for.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
True. So winning + at least one of the following style/entertainment and developing players from the own rank for a top team with Chelsea's budget shouldn't be too much to ask for.
Which is why our treble team and barcas treble team are held in higher regard than Inters treble team. Why the famous runners-up Brazilian and Dutch teams are still talked about today. Mourinho is not perfect but he realizes that no matter what fans/media etc say he can do whatever the feck he wants as long as he wins. Exactly the same with Fergie. I can't even remember the amount of times opposition fans went nuts over something Fergie said while it never bothered me even a little. Also seeing as last season and this we've been playing poorly, just looking at the mood of this board after wins compared to lossses ( forgetting whether we actually played well or not) should tell you that in the modern game, winning is king.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
He is a brilliant manager, no doubt about it. But I just feel his pragmatic approach has a serious downside. Mourinho's approach to a game with any serious opponent seems to concentrate mainly on denying the opposition an opportunity to play to their strengths and limiting their chances as much as possible rather than dominating themselves. His way is basically 'I don't care how it looks as long as I get the result'. When it works, CFC fans tend to forget the details and keep praising his genius. The problem is, when it doesn't work, the team looks totally out of ideas and the shit result won't allow you to overlook the poor performance.

It's difficult to imagine any quality team out there playing the way we did against a ten-man side at home. I can't see Barcelona, Real or Bayern boring themselves and the home crowd for 90 minutes hoping to end it with a goalless draw. Personally, I'd rather try and win the game and lose, knowing I've given myself a chance rather than go out with a whimper, like we did last night.

Also, we've been bailed out by our defenders scoring goals again and again in recent times. While I'm happy that Ivanovic, Terry and Cahill are helping on both ends it does make you wonder what is wrong with our attacking players when we have to rely time and again on our back line to deliver. What do they do in training that they look so clueless come game time? It's not as if we're lacking creative and attacking options.

Jose needs to modify his methods a bit, I believe. Ought to take more risks, even if it's not in his nature.

AshfordLad

Yes it is too much to ask for, given that this sort of pedantic ranting comes from the opposition fans only.

One can not over highlight the futility of the situation where opposition fans rant about managers like Jose or Fergie or Semione not providing them what they want. If they did all that the opposition fans will still be ranting.

I am perfectly happy with Jose at Chelsea, all Chelsea fans are and by the looks of things Abrahmovic is happy as well. I wouldnt swap Jose for anyother manager in the world right now, maybe Semione but no one else.

united_99

Yes it is too much to ask for, given that this sort of pedantic ranting comes from the opposition fans only.

One can not over highlight the futility of the situation where opposition fans rant about managers like Jose or Fergie or Semione not providing them what they want. If they did all that the opposition fans will still be ranting.

I am perfectly happy with Jose at Chelsea, all Chelsea fans are and by the looks of things Abrahmovic is happy as well. I wouldnt swap Jose for anyother manager in the world right now, maybe Semione but no one else.
Cool story. And I love Simeone, but whoever that Semione is, I think even I wouldn't want him at United.

Status
Not open for further replies.