Mourinho expects '2 or 3' summer signings, rules out January window activity, says he's been backed

Quizierda

Really hope he won't be the coach making these signings!
Honestly I don't think we could play worse with any other coach (ok, maybe LvG). He's improved nothing since he signed and it seems his limited tactic abilities will cost us again...

Roeindo

As a fan, i dont care how much money we spend as long as it makes improvement on pitch.

Football is a business and entertainment and both generate money. Our style of play are dire and hard to watch on current form. Its like a night and day watching us and city or pool playing.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We need to fecking invest in an attack and stop playing 10s on the right and youngsters who are often ineffective on the left. And a wingback and a cm.

Feck off the unwritten football hipster rule of 'you shouldn't buy so many players or make too many changes' and get it done because the squad has fallen behind.

Kapardin

We need to fecking invest in an attack and stop playing 10s on the right and youngsters who are often ineffective on the left. And a wingback and a cm.

Feck off the unwritten football hipster rule of 'you shouldn't buy so many players or make too many changes' and get it done because the squad has fallen behind.
Its' a myth. When we buy good players, they adapt well.

So Ed is watching this shower on the pitch and thinking 2 players are enough? Or is he even watching in the first place.

Member 5225

ps a gripe I have it is with signings like Miki, lots of money, lots of wages and utterly awful. Scouting error?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
We need at least a right midfielder this January. United looks to have regressed this past few weeks. We need someone who can liven up this bunch.

In addition, If Mourinho does not think the signing he has planned for summer will not improve the team dramatically, he should step down and allow someone more competent to pick signings that will improve our team.

DRM

Who would come to this shower.

Sorry, just frustrated these past few weeks with our performances. I need a break from United.

Seij

Still don't want to make any January signings, Mourinho? Because you could lose your job in a few months from the way it looks.

No Love

We need a Real Madrid 2009 style transfer window this summer.. Good Lord.

Slimcharles69

Supports
MK Dons
Griezmann is the only realistic signing we could make but It’d be a panic buy for sure at this point

Backrow Singer

We're crying out for wingers who provide width, quality and pace. Whenever Mata or Mkhitaryan got the ball they were coming inside, same with Martial when he came on, consistently looking inside. The only width comes from the full backs and when you're crossing the ball 40 metres away from the goal all game it becomes simple to read. We look like we're going to concede on the break as well because we get players defending in wide areas who aren't capable of it.

We don't stretch teams and when we do we won't take our chances. There's an enormous lack of quality in the team and it has to be sorted out. It'll always end the same if we don't sign some quality players who will make this team a better team. Too many players playing in roles and positions that they aren't good enough to be in. At the very best you get inconsistancy and for a club who has the aspirations that we supposedly do, that isn't good enough.

I don't watch enough European Football to know who is or isn't the answer but it's bleedingly obvious what we need. If we want to be challenging we need to go out and buy it.

Slimcharles69

Supports
MK Dons
Could offer £20m or so for Ozil and surely Arsenal would have to consider, as after all they will lose him for free in July anyway.
I don’t think they’d want to strengthen us when we’re both competing for a top 4 spot. I reckon they’d rather lose him for free in that case. It wouldn’t surprise me if he joins us in the summer though

JoaquinJoaquin

I don’t think they’d want to strengthen us when we’re both competing for a top 4 spot. I reckon they’d rather lose him for free in that case. It wouldn’t surprise me if he joins us in the summer though
Either way, I think even if it unsettled Ozil it would be worth a bid.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
It doesn’t matter who we buy. Since Fergie left the mentality of the team has been poor. Even Messi would look poor in this team. Not sure where we go from here. We can try and overhaul the team year after year. At some point it might work. Who knows?

DdeGoat

If we are going incessantly cross like morons, then we need some good headers of the ball. Cheeky bids for Crouch and Carroll in January?

Buying is not our problem. It's our inability to get the best out of the players we buy. It's the complete lack of cohesion in our team. We can get as many players as we want, but nothing is going to change unless we improve our overall play and attacking system.Southampton looked a better coached team than we did. It's damning indictment of our club.

redNATION

A right back, left back, commanding centre back, 2 centre-mids, a no10, and a right winger - can't believe I'm saying this after all the money spent, but the likes of Fellaini (whose leaving anyway), Shaw, Herrera, and Mhkitaryan arent good enough, and Carrick, Mata, and Darmian are probably on their way out.

If we can grab Ozil and Goretzka on a free, that would be quite a coup, and free up some funds for the full backs, and right winger, and hopefully another centre back.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Does he deserve any backing in the transfer market.. not sure if they'll be willing to splash the cash, unless no-brainer signings come available

Siorac

We can probably maintain a top four, maybe even top three, finish with 2-3 incomings. That's probably good enough for the club. I expect us to do an Arsenal in the medium term, pretty much. Going for CL qualification with the odd cup win here and there.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Clearly is being sarcastic, he cant call the board out. He really wants/needs players.

Stacks

Zlatan is done and Mkhi is a flop. So that's only 5 signings in Bailly, Lindelof, Matic, Pogba and Lukaku that are Jose's. We need 2 FBs, a #10, a RW and a CM despite those 5. It is not about the number of signings we need to make, its' the fact that Fergie loyalists are getting old, the van Gaal buys are shite, that we need to almost buy a starting XI.
Pretty much this. The rebuild job was massive because instead of rebuilding post SAF we hired a clown and a crazy old man.

Its like SAF made a deal with the devil; you'll have decades of success but will have to sabotage the club as you retire.

Luckily we are in a good position; because we have many players that are going to become better. Bailly, Lindeloff, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Lingard are all players that can grow and be the future of the club.
We already had one of the best defensive Units in the league incl GK. We have 2 of the most promising attacking youngsters in world football (backed up by the football communities voting opinions). Chelsea won titles with Alonso and Moses at wing FB. If we had made 4 correct signings, 2 CM a special RW and special STR, we would be fine. Problem is our RW and Striker are flailing, so it appears like we need an entire new team.
How where Herrera, Di Maria, Luke Shaw, Blind, Martial, Depay, Darmian and Morgan Schneiderlin bad signings? When they signed, they where players who many though had potential to become quality players and some of them where supposed to improve the squad. It was only after they came at the club they didn't perform well.
The 5 underlined have shown something in the EPL. no less than some of Citys players. Delph is playing FB. Herrera has played against city and bossed their players in head to head games at times (twice MoTM I believe). He was solid last year. Blind is a squad player but he can go. Martial had shown he could light things up. They were not poor signings on paper, they just haven't worked out for one reason or another. This is part of the job also, to make the most out of players.

liamp

Why? How many transfer duds has he made for United to not deserve backing?
I don't think that he doesn't deserve backing. I don't think this club can afford to pull back funds at this stage, honestly. However, you said it yourself in the other thread about our attackers

We don't have a single world class attacker. That's what's up
If you spend the amount of money that Mourinho has in the past 2 years, to not come out of that with a single world class attacker is a tremendous failure.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I don't think that he doesn't deserve backing. I don't think this club can afford to pull back funds at this stage, honestly. However, you said it yourself in the other thread about our attackers

If you spend the amount of money that Mourinho has in the past 2 years, to not come out of that with a single world class attacker is a tremendous failure.
Its a failure on if you are under the delusion the areas invested in didn't need the investment. United has invested in defence and midfield. Its time to invest in the attack. Its the boards fault they didn't invest in Person for example.

Last edited:
Lukaku, dare I say even Pogba hasn't been a nailed on success (and a tactical headache - as much as I love him).
Lukaku is our top scorer in spite of a desert of service. Whilst Pogba has been by far our most creative force. So much so his 3 month absence literally killed off any hopes of us competing for the title. You have no grounds for such sentiments

liamp

Its a failure on if you are under the delusion the areas invested in didn't need the investment. United has invested in defence and midfield. Its time to invest in the attack. Its the boards fault they didn't invest in Person for example.
Bolded part is a bit of a strawman. I never said we didn't need to invest in defense or midfield. The part that's difficult to reconcile is having spent about 230mm euros on defenders and midfielders yet still potentially needing at least 2 new fullbacks and at least one new midfielder.

As far as investing in the attack goes, we spent more than 130 million on Lukaku and Mkhitaryan to supplement the attack...

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I still think he’ll go for a left back this January. Someone like Sessognon though.

In the summer I can imagine us going for someone like Jorginho/Weigl if the aim is to replace Carrick for a more similar player. I can also see us going for a big player according to those comment, so maybe someone like Dybala? And then another, that could be an Ozil, or it could be a RW or even another CM.
That would leave us short in midfield, with poor and ageing fullbacks, with no cover for our main strikers and with suspect left wingers.

Yeah, great transfer window that would be .

Cadillac

Lukaku is our top scorer in spite of a desert of service. Whilst Pogba has been by far our most creative force. So much so his 3 month absence literally killed off any hopes of us competing for the title. You have no grounds for such sentiments
Pogba has been back for 4 games (including the loss to Burnley) and we've still failed to get a win. We were still easily sitting second. Since he's come back we've gone backwards in terms of getting the results we've wanted. It's a hard pill to swallow. But it's the truth. And I don't blame him at all. It's the tactics of Jose, and also the desire of the players.

Bolded part is a bit of a strawman. I never said we didn't need to invest in defense or midfield. The part that's difficult to reconcile is having spent about 230mm euros on defenders and midfielders yet still potentially needing at least 2 new fullbacks and at least one new midfielder.

As far as investing in the attack goes, we spent more than 130 million on Lukaku and Mkhitaryan to supplement the attack...
Neither is world class. Which is the problem
. They were just to supplement in Mhikitaryan's case and for the potential in Lukaku's ts time to upgrade to world class.

PS: the bold bit was a general comment rather than about your specific argument.

Pogba has been back for 4 games (including the loss to Burnley) and we've still failed to get a win. We were still easily sitting second. Since he's come back we've gone backwards in terms of getting the results we've wanted. It's a hard pill to swallow. But it's the truth. And I don't blame him at all. It's the tactics of Jose, and also the desire of the players.
No amount of tactics will make players aplly themselves with the right attitude. Nor make them not pass and cross like blind men. I refuse to accept for example that Mourinho is to blame for Mhkitaryan failing to find a single man in great crossing positions all game long today.