Mourinho expects '2 or 3' summer signings, rules out January window activity, says he's been backed

Kapardin

How where Herrera, Di Maria, Luke Shaw, Blind, Martial, Depay, Darmian and Morgan Schneiderlin bad signings? When they signed, they where players who many though had potential to become quality players and some of them where supposed to improve the squad. It was only after they came at the club they didn't perform well.
Why blame Mourinho for van Gaal's failings. Anyway, of that list, most are trash except for Di Maria. They performed well at lesser clubs.

Rajma

We need more than 3.
That is all.
Exactly, 5 quality players should be the target, considering the outgoings. We should definitely ve looking to bring in 1-2 this January to make it easier during the summer.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Not spending in january? It is kind of surprise for me.
And this 3 for 3 - except carrick out i really don't have a clue.

Rajma

Video here for those who want to watch it with the proper context -

I mean even if I'm not his biggest fan, he comes across really frank and honest here with his answers and I pretty much agree with him on all points.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Exactly, 5 quality players should be the target, considering the outgoings. We should definitely ve looking to bring in 1-2 this January to make it easier during the summer.
Problem is whether the players we want are available in January right? I mean no sense settling on someone you don't reaLly want just so you can say you signed someone.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Who cares, maybe we should arrange a private meeting with the man utd board and your royalty to re-assure you further.
Most people in this thread gave their opinion and how they felt about the OP, so most posters seem to care.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Some people seem hell bend to get the guy sacked. The same loonies, who God knows who they are and no one else does, try to argue over and over (suggesting is their god given right to be critical of their team, however never supportive or cheerful when things go right), even when the thread post is about "how to cook a perfect omelette".

And while they are doing it, they ignore all the other people who argue the exact opposite.

On the subject, when Jose says he is not going to buy in January, be assured he will. Not one, but possibly two or three signings. He does that all the time. Jose is a smart guy, he is not stupid. Everything he says publicly is calculated, and when he said that £300m was not enough, it was intended for the Glazers, who have been milking the cow for years now and they are not investing enough.

Time for things to change and start spending big.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Some people seem hell bend to get the guy sacked.
Thing is, they never come up with any alternatives. I've been thinking about it, and I seriously can't name one better and available manager out there.

Not a big fan of Mourinho, I must admit. But there are limited to no alternatives.

ovoxo

I still think he’ll go for a left back this January. Someone like Sessognon though.

In the summer I can imagine us going for someone like Jorginho/Weigl if the aim is to replace Carrick for a more similar player. I can also see us going for a big player according to those comment, so maybe someone like Dybala? And then another, that could be an Ozil, or it could be a RW or even another CM.

Last edited:

Mr PG

No, it sounds like he is still saying the spending isn't enough compared to City and PSG but he understands the situation. He was also understanding about not landing Perisic last summer.
We dodged one with perisic given how Martial/young have performed on the left hand side. That £ 50m can now be better spent elsewhere

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
3 world class additions plus Pereira and Mensah returning could do the trick, but only with serious emphasis on 3 new elite players thing.

As for January hopefully something will be developed despite Mou's typical winter talk. From time to time there are hidden gems available just like Liverpool did with Suarez & Coutinho or SAF with Vidic & Evra. Extreme rarity but since new scouts have been appointed including Javier Ribalta perhaps they'll be useful at this time of the year. The great search for a proper winger from the last summer really drags on, add to that recent injuries, not ot mention form and there is some sort of foundation to be worried.

SuperiorXI

Two/three sounds about right. I'm hoping we can clear out some deadwood in January/Summer also. I guess the two is a right winger and left back. The third maybe a marquee no 10???

deafepl

You overrate how good these teams are. Top sides in Serie A are no inferior to those in the prem. You don't see a proper top side struggling against those sides.
\

It's not about overrating how good these teams are. it's just that EPL has a higher quality of teams than it does in Serie A. Championship teams would beat Serie A bottom teams, that's why Serie A is looking for reducing 20 to 18 or 16 teams in the league.

JPRouve

Scout
\

It's not about overrating how good these teams are. it's just that EPL has a higher quality of teams than it does in Serie A. Championship teams would beat Serie A bottom teams, that's why Serie A is looking for reducing 20 to 18 or 16 teams in the league.
Funnily enough that's how open league works.

Walters_19_MuFc

If three go and we bring in three with much better quality, then there will be improvement.

Say if we were to sell Fellaini (don't want him to go), Mkhitaryan and Mata, and replace them with Goretzka, Dybala and Sanchez, then it's pretty obvious they'd be an improvement to our team/squad.

I think we've got enough players in our squad. We're just lacking quality in a few areas.

Emergency signings should be a:

Right Winger
Attacking Midfielder
Centre Midfielder

After that, we should be looking to get a:

Left Back
Right Back

Skills

Snitch
Probably been clearly told by the PSG camp they're not interested.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We need 2 FB, Carrick's replacement, Ibra's replacement, Fellaini's replacement and 2 flank men. We might be able to get away with Ibra's replacement but we need the rest.

Id go

RB: Florenzi (he's in contract talks with Roma but they can't pay the salaries we do)
LB: Ghoulam
DM: Kessie (one of the few players who are doing fairly well within the new Milan, since they'll struggling with the FIFA fair play we might lure him to United) or Emre Can
MC: leon Goretzka
AML: Sanchez
AMR: Bailey

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
If three go and we bring in three with much better quality, then there will be improvement.

Say if we were to sell Fellaini (don't want him to go), Mkhitaryan and Mata, and replace them with Goretzka, Dybala and Sanchez, then it's pretty obvious they'd be an improvement to our team/squad.

I think we've got enough players in our squad. We're just lacking quality in a few areas.

Emergency signings should be a:

Right Winger
Attacking Midfielder
Centre Midfielder

After that, we should be looking to get a:

Left Back
Right Back
That's how I see it. Shaw and Darmian are serviceable, Shaw could even improve so there is no reason to hurry. At this point concentrating our spending on drastically improving the first eleven is the priority.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He had Sagna too. Got rid of four fullbacks, wanted four in and got three.
Yeah wish we could do that but that’s just ridiculous amount transfers in my opinion to be able to do in 2 positions. It’s unlimited money which is very hard to compete with although not impossible. I’ve never heard or seen a manager buying a player specifically to be 3rd/4th choice for £20+ million at full back it’s uncharted territory for me.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
The full quotes are perfectly fine. I'm just not convinced about the bit on City's spending. Of course they are stronger than us financially but I don't see their spending as vastly different from ours since Jose started. He also mentioned that when he was at Chelsea it was a factor as well. But I don't think it's comparable. At that time Chelsea spent like noone else could. Right now we're up there with City as far as big spenders go.

The rest from Jose is all very balanced. Interesting that he's looking at two midfielders. I just hope we don't neglect the attack and left back. Since Jose took over the only attacker he's signed is a striker and a striker to replace the original striker. And Mkhitarian who has been awful.
Haven't they spent like a hundred million more than us in that time?

Added to having a much better first 11 already...

Anyway, on his quotes, I think it's clear he's not happy and it's also clear that we need Jan signings.

I could lose faith with Woodward if this goes sour, it'd be the 3rd manager, and in José's case - the best manager available who's improved our football (yes, he has, remember LvG's last season) and is bringing in trophies.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He also said he would be buying 2 CMs.

I think he'll end up buying 6 players with 6 players leaving permanently and a couple or more on loan.

Incoming:

1. DM replacement for Carrick
2. B2B midfielder
3. Right back
4. Left back
5. Right winger
6. Attacking midfielder/Second striker like Dybala or Griezmann

Departures:

1. Carrick
2. Ibrahimovic
3. Blind
4. Darmian
5. Mkhitaryan
6. Fellaini

Loan Returns:

1. Pereira
2. Fosu-Mensah

Loan Departures:

1. Tuanzebe
2. McTominay

Could also be other departures like Wilson or loan or permanent etc.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Haven't they spent like a hundred million more than us in that time?

Added to having a much better first 11 already...

Anyway, on his quotes, I think it's clear he's not happy and it's also clear that we need Jan signings.

I could lose faith with Woodward if this goes sour, it'd be the 3rd manager, and in José's case - the best manager available who's improved our football (yes, he has, remember LvG's last season) and is bringing in trophies.
No?

I have no idea why he's not happy or why need January signings? Because people think we always need new signings?

FrantikChicken

I don't think signing only 3 players would be a problem. The difficult part is finding 3 players who will be a significant improvement on whoever they replace in the starting 11. There are plenty of very good players who can come in and perform at the same or slightly better level to what we have now, but we need players who can make a visible difference in pretty much every game. If Mourinho manages to find 3 such players in 1 window, we'll definitely enjoy significantly better results, especially with a number of others in the squad becoming older and maturing.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Those 3 signings must be matchwinners. No players who will add depth or "do their job". We need world class players. With instant impact. Unfortunately i think that dybala or griezmann are just a dream so we will go for bale and with his injury record he will fit "great". Ozil would be great signing because of jose link but also not so optimistic. My perfect signing would be alexis but also don't see that happening at all.

So yes, completely in the dark here about signings. And very pessimistic. Sorry for this moan, guys.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
That sounds great on paper. But would we get 5-7 good 30-50 million pound signings? I'd take that over a couple if huge signings as well.
I wouldn’t. We have numbers and depth. We just need real quality now. If you brought in Sandro, another CM and a marquee forward, then this team would be radically different. Imagine Sandro, Kroos and Ronaldo for example. Different team entirely. Not saying it’ll be those three, but that’s the quality we need. We have a huge squad, but a few too many good but not great players.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
No?

I have no idea why he's not happy or why need January signings? Because people think we always need new signings?
How much more have citeh spent since both managers took over? I'm sure it's around 100 million more, with them already having a far better first 11.

It's clear we need new signings because Ibrahimovic is offering nothing, we're thin in midfield and have no fullback cover, winger or decent 10 let alone any options there.

I'd have thought to any Man Utd fan that's actually watching us this season, it'd be pretty clear that this January more than any other we could really do with signings - especially given it's World Cup year, and Woodward's ridiculous tendency to drag signings out in normal Summer's.

gulli_G

Some people seem hell bend to get the guy sacked. The same loonies, who God knows who they are and no one else does, try to argue over and over (suggesting is their god given right to be critical of their team, however never supportive or cheerful when things go right), even when the thread post is about "how to cook a perfect omelette".

And while they are doing it, they ignore all the other people who argue the exact opposite.

On the subject, when Jose says he is not going to buy in January, be assured he will. Not one, but possibly two or three signings. He does that all the time. Jose is a smart guy, he is not stupid. Everything he says publicly is calculated, and when he said that £300m was not enough, it was intended for the Glazers, who have been milking the cow for years now and they are not investing enough.

Time for things to change and start spending big.
Agree, Jose would make a great politician, hope they loosen the purse strings.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We need 2 FB, Carrick's replacement, Ibra's replacement, Fellaini's replacement and 2 flank men. We might be able to get away with Ibra's replacement but we need the rest.

Id go

RB: Florenzi (he's in contract talks with Roma but they can't pay the salaries we do)
LB: Ghoulam
DM: Kessie (one of the few players who are doing fairly well within the new Milan, since they'll struggling with the FIFA fair play we might lure him to United) or Emre Can
MC: leon Goretzka
AML: Sanchez
AMR: Bailey
Seeing how Mourinho wanted Kante at United, this would be interesting alternative. He seems to fit current United and Chelsea style.

Member 5225

Do we think the Glazers would cash in sooner rather than later then? Maybe another state / mega-tycoon would elevate our resources to another level (guessing a lot of folks would be against this).

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
We should try again, but with a proper long-term plan in place regarding team building. If we're going to hand Jose hundreds of millions more just to buy some decent players in their late 20's to hoof the ball to Lukaku, we shouldn't bother.
Obviously. But we don't have a DOF and Woodward and co can't just overrule Mourinho. If Mourinho is only staying for another 18 months he's not likely to make very long term signings.

Jig1234

A lot of people miss this point. Jose is not getting the best of what he has currently - truth be told. We could splash the cash on a marquee forward but it only papers over the cracks as we would be back to square zero when that marquee player loses form/is injured. We haven't seen the best of Mkhitaryan, Mata, Pogba, Herrera, Rashford and Martial in an attacking sense.
That first half vs Saints proves this. Boring football, no identity, no style = no clear chances. You can add 4-5 players, it won't make a difference if JM can't get a tune out of his players.

Mourinho's style doesn't work. Why is our passing so passive and slowly? Did he forget we sacked Van Gaal for this brand of football? Why is he emulating his football. (before people get upset, it might not be as bad as Van Gaal's football but it's not any less dull). The players don't look like they know how to score a goal. Lacking of guidance from the coach for me. No clear ideas.