Mourinho extends contract to 2020 (option for a further year as standard)

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
I'm happy with this news but that means he's going to be backed by the board more than ever before. I can't help feeling suspicious that it look like we are deciding whether the style of play we want, Woodward may have a someone else to take over.
Can anyone explain it to me what does it even mean? We have the 2nd best goal difference and have usually played good football over the past 18 months which has not transliterated on the pitch because of some dreadful decision making and finishing.

But how can a contract extension lead to doubts? I am wasting one of my five posts on this forum for this.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I suppose. Plus, I forgot the club will be claiming the VAT back. And since he (or the club) would probably have to lay out a couple of million to buy a house in Cheshire, it's not actually that bad.

Yeah, I reckon you could work out a good deal for a year. It's just rent to Jose for an easy life innit.

deafepl

Have you read your post or you just alright with that?
I'm happy with my post as well, there's nothing against Mourinho. You called me a newbie, I'm like what? In this case, it looks like you don't like my opinions but this is rubbish when you don't like it and suddenly accusing me of being a newbie? I guess you haven't seen my profile yet. If you don't like it, please state your reason or keep it to yourself, simple.

However, this is an open forum, everyone can say whatever they think, not everyone can share the same thought as you.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
1. Longest unbeaten home record in United history (40 games).
2. First manager in United history to win silverware in first season.
3. Highest win rate of all United managers, currently at 65% (Ferguson on 63%).
Stats are one thing. You cant deny that our attacking play is below par though

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Stats are one thing. You cant deny that our attacking play is below par though
It's better than it's been in a long time. Yeah we could be better but then so could most clubs. I'm not even going to mention them lot cause most of our fans seem to be obsessed or preoccupied with what they're doing rather than focusing on United. I enjoy watching us everytime we play and we're only going to get better.

deafepl

Can anyone explain it to me what does it even mean? We have the 2nd best goal difference and have usually played good football over the past 18 months which has not transliterated on the pitch because of some dreadful decision making and finishing.

But how can a contract extension lead to doubts? I am wasting one of my five posts on this forum for this.
There's no doubt. Jose is happy to remain at the club for more 2 years with an option to stay one year more which is great news for us because there are not many manager who can give stability to the club after a disaster season under LVG and Moye.

My point is that we are going in right direction and making the right decision and improving. I'm satisfied with it.

As I mentioned above about feeling suspicious, not because of a contract extension but it looks like Woodward and the board may have a plan for long-term in future like deciding style of play, bring in the director of football, or whatever it is with Jose at the helm because I know that Jose is likely not going to stay at club for 5 years or 10 years so we need to be prepared for it. We can continue stability instead of starting over again with a new manager. Jose, LVG and Moye had a different style of play but if Jose left the club, I don't want a new manager with different style of play to join and decide our squad is not enough good and not suited to his philosophy so he'll have to start to rebuild from the start again like Jose did, I don't want this. I want the club to decide whatever they want to plan for the future but they look like they finally doing it.

POF

Fantastic news. I think the days of 6 year contracts for managers are long gone. This extension adds stability and certainty for any new signings.

Kapardin

Klopp say hi
Liverpool are a big club, but in their current situation, they cannot attract the truly elite managers. In that sense, Klopp is the best they can get, as he's pretty good and also one who prefers to work at clubs who are "underdogs" in some way. So giving him a 6 year contract is a no-brainer for them.

We on the other hand, can attract both top managers and some of those with potential who wish to make their name. So we don't need to offer managers 6 year contracts.

Ed's done well. Considering the trophies we won and the improvement on show, Jose deserves this extension. But until he wins the league or CL with us, we are obviously not looking at extending beyond 4 years or so. All parties are getting what they deserve here.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't think the contract length is the point here, it's a statement of happiness from the higher ups and Jose that all is rosy in the garden and they like how things are going at the moment.

Thisistheone

Great news. Wonder if this means Jose won his little battle with Woodward. Hopefully we'll see a big summer and Mourinho fancies he can overtake City.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Good. While I'm happy he's staying I'm also glad it's not a longer term contract. If he's still doing well 2 years from he can always get another contract.

Seagulls.vii

Welcome news, best man for the job. The commitment will help dispel uncertainty, instil stability and inspire confidence, enabling longer term planning in laying strong foundations critical to putting the club back where it belongs - at the apex of world football on and off the pitch.

JK-27

Glad he's signed. Get the PSG rumours off our backs and let's the players know he's going to be around, so play for him and how he wants because he's going to be here a while, if you don't you're out. Hopefully some players will kick on (Rashford, Martial, Shaw).

JK-27

that lowry suite must be incredible
The staff threw a party knowing it's now permanently booked until 2020.

I've stayed at the Lowry myself, can't see what all the fuss is about, didn't think it was that good a hotel.