Mourinho Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toad

Klopp vs Mourinho

Dotmound 3 : Madrid 1, Mourinho sacked a week later.

Liverpool 3: Chelsea 1, Mourinho sacked a week later.

Liverpool 3: Man Utd 1...Mourinho sacked 2 days after.

fellaini's barber

Am I the only person totally uninterested in this romantic idea of our former players managing the club? Just get someone competent,don't get all this shit about Keane,Ole,Giggs etc

fellaini's barber

I like the way Woody rolls nowadays,not a single peep of a rumor from anywhere then bam! Sacked. Not the clusterfeck that was LVG signings with all the leaks when were even playing a bloody cup final

Viral United

What would count as a successful season now then?

The Jose-out brigade have promised me that Valencia, Young, Smalling, Jones, Fellaini, Mata, Herrera, Rashford, Lingard, Lindelof etc...etc...are all excellent players who just were not used correctly by Jose

If that's the case, shouldn't we be aiming to win most of our games now, playing swashbuckling football whilst we are at it?
Its all depend on which manager we bring,
If we replace one idiot with another nothing will change.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In the end, Mourinho's tenure felt like one long journey of doing enough to keep journey going but never really making true progress, with the closing chapter (this season) being a giant clusterfeck from all angles.

In the first season, we were terrible in the league but managed to win two cups. In the second while we played absolutely terrible and disjoint football at times, our results, particularly those in the 1st half of the season ensured a respectable 2nd place finish.

But no matter how much some people put those two seasons across as achievements/successes, they really weren't. Our development of young talent was poor. Our handling of flair players was poor. Our style of play was uninteresting and lacking in personality. Our signings tended to regress. Our cohesion was well behind that of our peers. Our manager picked too many fights for it to be healthy. And essentially we didn't look a team that was going to challenge. Even last season people felt Liverpool were the ones rising up as potential challengers to City's throne. There's a good reason for that and it's a lesson in perspective and judging potential/direction. And for me, that's why Mourinho wasn't up to mark even in the first two years.

And then, in the third, of course, it fell apart.

At the end of the day, Mourinho was a misfit at Manchester United for me. His poisonous personality combined with the dreary football style made him a manager who, for me, was never a true Manchester United manager. His record with young players is terrible and his handling of them at United showed throughout his tenure. His football was always boring for me, but at United his preference for the less pretty side of the game stood out like a sore thumn. And lastly, his behavior - he started out like a fairly well mannered version of himself but eventually true to form displayed the prick that he is. Some of his comments in towards his own players as well as the club (fecking Seville) were pathetic for a Manchester United manager. And finally, the man never took responsibility. For anything. It was always "they didn't do this" "they didn't do that". A man who is clearly waiting for others to fix the problems cannot do them hismelf.

I am glad he's gone. We bit the bullet and went for a manager who doesn't fit with the club ethos, for short term success and it failed. Now it's time to return to our roots and make things right. We need a manager who brings positivity, attacking football, better youth development and is at a good point in his career.

Am I the only person totally uninterested in this romantic idea of our former players managing the club? Just get someone competent,don't get all this shit about Keane,Ole,Giggs etc
It would be great if we had an ex player who has proven to be an excellent manager elsewhere. However I can't recall any of Fergie's players going on to have an extent managerial career? Plenty of average like Hughes, Bruce etc. Nothing of note.

RepardReece

Think most supporters are hoping they could turn into the next SAF because they played under him.

I think its a long shot that this would actually happen but I wouldn't mind seeing if they are capable of becoming a great manager. Not to mention, the biggest thing about a former player managing us, is I believe that if it was someone like Giggs, Fergie would be giving him a lot of advice and guidance which would be a massive boost.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
fecking hell, I get on a flight home for vacation and everything kicks off. Would have been quite a shock turning on a game and seeing ole in charge.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Exactly what the squad/club needed. A major, cleansing earthquake/fire to start fresh.

Thanks Mou for the Europa League, the EFL Cup/Community Shield and the 2nd place. Wish you had resigned this past August when you didn't feel enough support. These 5 months have been dreadful.

amolbhatia50k

Its all depend on which manager we bring,
If we replace one idiot with another nothing will change.
Absolutely. As happy as I am, nothing will change if we bring in another misfiring manager. I don't mind us taking our team with this decision as it's a huge one. Which is why this caretaker route is the perfect one and I hope we get it right.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Nope. Just doesnt make sense at all and is the least we need now. Either it is someone who has proper experience like Blanc or we give it to the current staff

Nick7

Exactly what the squad/club needed. A major, cleansing earthquake/fire to start fresh.

Thanks Mou for the Europa League, the FA Cup and the 2nd place. Wish you had resigned this past August when you didn't feel enough support. These 5 months have been dreadful.
Mourinho didn't with the FA Cup with us.

LoveFootball

Can you remember when people were saying third season syndrome wasn't a thing?
We were so naive to think he'd be different here; the signs of the 3rd season syndrome were so obvious at end of last season and during preseason but our board and many fans tried hardly to convince themselves that it was a myth. Our sin as a club is to think that we're so special that we can turn people into something they aren't. The thing that amazed me is there still fans who still think he'd have turn thing around if given time ...:houllier:

ravi2

The record speak for itself. Mourinho has won the most trophies in the past five years and did much better in the league than Moyes and LVG until recently. He made us a force in Europe again with winning the Europa League and win at Turin and made us compete with the best teams in England. It's unfortunate how it ended but I will always remember the good times more than the bad.

Thanks for everything, Jose!!! I hope you live a happy life.

Maybe you shouldn't post so much.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Pochettino has it nice and comfy at Spurs atm. How do you propose to lure him away from it within England? Money (imo) and i'd be up for it in his case, he's proven himself in the league and international. About 15 mil a season seems fair to me considering the circumstamces, United have to get it right.
That’s an insane amount of money for someone who hasn’t actually won anything at the very top level. Managing Man Utd is a different beast to Spurs, who’s to say he’ll adapt to the expectations and intense scrutiny that comes with the job straight away? I think he’d be a good choice for us but to throw that money at him from the get-go would be silly

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
His worst result for us and the one that should have got him sacked happened in his second season imo.

The Sevilla game was the point when I knew he was doomed here.
Appears to be the watershed.

Even I, who still backed him until some months ago, started having my doubts then

JK-27

Think about it:

Moyes
Giggs (interim)
LVG
Mourinho
Carrick (interim for a couple of days)
External appointment (interim)
New manager

That will be 7 different managers in 5 years. The board don't know what they're doing.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
A comment I just read on Twitter.

Manchester United have become everything their fans once took the piss out of. Spending money like City, nostalgic for the past like Liverpool, aiming for 4th place like Arsenal and chopping and changing managers like Chelsea.

Harsh but fair.
I nearly agree. Arsenal stand a better chance of 4th though. (I know you said "aiming" but I couldn't help myself)

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I have felt pretty numb about United of late. Nothing to enjoy about us on or off the pitch. To be fair, that isn't true...I have loved watching the U18 side.

I can understand why people may celebrate Mourinho getting booted, it was dire.

But that being said it was for 3 years before him...and there is nothing about the make up of this club that makes me think they will succeed here. They have had 3 goes at picking a manager that would push the club forward. 3 times they have failed miserably.

The rotten smell at MUFC doesn't start or end with Mourinho...it runs a lot deeper. Incompetence runs from the players, to the management, to the overall operation of the club. Regardless this needed to happen, as someone who actively thought Mourinho should have been Fergie's successor, I was miles off in the end. Enjoyed parts of his first season in charge, he said a lot of the right things, and performances on the pitch improved.

Following the first 6 months or so he reverted to type. Awful football, shocking attitude and completely devoid of responsibility.

Good riddance. I'd only wish the rest of the shite at the club would follow.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Think about it:

Moyes
Giggs (interim)
LVG
Mourinho
Carrick (interim for a couple of days)
External appointment (interim)
New manager

That will be 7 different managers in 5 years. The board don't know what they're doing.
I agree that the board don't know what they're doing, but counting all these interim managers in there is an extreme stretch.

Kapardin

A comment I just read on Twitter.

Manchester United have become everything their fans once took the piss out of. Spending money like City, nostalgic for the past like Liverpool, aiming for 4th place like Arsenal and chopping and changing managers like Chelsea.

Harsh but fair.
Well, a sort of riposte to that would be - we are spending our own hard earned money, we are nostalgic for the big trophies but are still winning the minor ones keeping ourselves relevant, we are aiming for 4th as a stepping stone to improve and not as a long term ambition and we are not sacking performing managers, but only underperforming ones, and that too after giving them a long (and undeserving) rope.

Apples and Oranges, really.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
We were so naive to think he'd be different here; the signs of the 3rd season syndrome were so obvious at end of last season and during preseason but our board and many fans tried hardly to convince themselves that it was a myth. Our sin as a club is to think that we're so special that we can turn people into something they aren't. The thing that amazed me is there still fans who still think he'd have turn thing around if given time ...:houllier:
That is amazing. Largely because, by the end, they didn't exist. Maybe you're confusing them with fans who go to games but choose not to boo?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Appears to be the watershed.

Even I, who still backed him until some months ago, started having my doubts then
I wanted him here badly..for years.

But that game was the breaking point for me. I knew that he either didnt want or couldnt adapt.

Then his comments in the Summer just proved that he had given up too. That is when we should have let him go.

fellaini's barber

Think most supporters are hoping they could turn into the next SAF because they played under him.

I think its a long shot that this would actually happen but I wouldn't mind seeing if they are capable of becoming a great manager. Not to mention, the biggest thing about a former player managing us, is I believe that if it was someone like Giggs, Fergie would be giving him a lot of advice and guidance which would be a massive boost.
All that sounds very romantic which is what I'm talking about. So when we hire Giggs and Fergie's 'advice' can't make him a decent manager? Imagine how messy that sack is going to be

amolbhatia50k

What would count as a successful season now then?

The Jose-out brigade have promised me that Valencia, Young, Smalling, Jones, Fellaini, Mata, Herrera, Rashford, Lingard, Lindelof etc...etc...are all excellent players who just were not used correctly by Jose

If that's the case, shouldn't we be aiming to win most of our games now, playing swashbuckling football whilst we are at it?
Are you having a laugh?

Nobody said those are excellent players. Nobody. This post reeks of bitterness at Mourinho's sacking.

We do have a good squad but it has to be taken into account that A) we are amidst a terrible season and the absence of Mourinho doesn't change that. The damage is done. B) The players who were either expected to improve under Mourinho or signings that werr expected to improve us didn't under his leadership. So that will continue to be a problem.

The improvement will come via two methods - A) The new manager managing this team but better but also B) Undoing the mistakes of the previous manager by bolstering the squad to be in line with his vision. And this may take time of course, at least to get us challenging. And the new manager has to be the right own too.

This season? I expect nothing. It's a write off for me. The caretaker can hopefully develop the younger lot well. But more importantly, we need to lay the groundwork for the next manager for next season. It's all about next season for me.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
F'ing hell. See you all same time, same place in 18 months to 2 years discussing the next managerial failure? I can't honestly see much changing unless the club mechanisms that saw Moyes appointed and all the bad decisions since then changes ...
This post should be archived. I suspect you are right.

amolbhatia50k

Klopp vs Mourinho

Dotmound 3 : Madrid 1, Mourinho sacked a week later.

Liverpool 3: Chelsea 1, Mourinho sacked a week later.

Liverpool 3: Man Utd 1...Mourinho sacked 2 days after.
That's actually weird.

matt10000

I thought he should stay until the end of the season but the 'Fallen One' has gone.

Just need to get rid of the Glazers and move Woodward sideways and get a director of football.

Poch with Harry Kane and a new defence gets my vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.