g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mourinho has dig at United fans over Lukaku

Jacko21

Quotes from Mourinho doing the rounds today. Wasn't happy with the reception Lukaku received by some supporters at Old Trafford - mainly when Lukaku failed to chase a ball, which was greeted with groans.

Also wasn't happy with the reception when he replaced Rashford with Martial.

Clearly wants to make a point and probably feeds into his desire to see greater support at OT. Though the counter-argument will be that attacking football is required for that to happen.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...anchester-united-fans-romelu-lukaku-tottenham

snk123

He's right though. I couldn't understand the boos when Rashford was replaced - it's not as if he was bringing a defender on.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's right though. I couldn't understand the boos when Rashford was replaced - it's not as if he was bringing a defender on.
You easily could tbh, Rashford was our most dangerous and active player of the 2nd half. Fans wanna see him/ Martial/Lukaku play together. A few groans isn't shocking.

RedNed77

Strange comment, i didnt hear Ashley Young get too much vocal support yesterday but it didn't stop him from playing a blinder.

Thing is, I can tolerate the hoofball and the bus parking if it's going to win us trophies in the long run. But Jose's need to pick fights with his own players, employers and fans needs to stop if this is going to be anything but his usual 3 year stint which ends in acrimony.

By all means Jose, give Wenger, Conte, Pep, Liverpool, Eva... as much sh1t as you like, but why the need to pick on people who are on the same side.

stepic

Rashford had played well, I guess that's why they booed. Fans are stupid though if they would have preferred Lukaku come off, and that was proved right given his contribution to the goal.

Kapardin

Yep, it was bizarre. Bad enough that they did it for Fellaini, but isn't Martial a darling of the masses? Wasn't like Rashford was pulling up trees either anyway, we needed an attacking change.

Jagga7

Fans pay the money, they can groan when they want too. Mourinho needs to keep quiet.

GrandJury

Fans are morons who think they know more than a world class manager.

What else is new.

stepic

It would be nice to finally see Martial Lukaku Rashford all start though. You lose the impact sub off the bench but they deserve to start over Miki or Mata.

BeckhamtoScholes

Maybe if Mourinho gave him proper support, we wouldn't moan as he would score alot more goals.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I couldn't really see what happened cause it was the other end of the pitch but it did look like he just stopped chasing the ball, which would obviously be greeted with groans. People react to what just happened in front of them, the same way you'll hear a collective ring of "ooooh"s if he does something fancy. Mourinho over reacting isn't much of a surprise though!

ChaddyP

They probably wanted us to take a defender off and plat a front three of Lukaku /rashford /martial. I bet that shoosh gesture was for the crowd it self. Dangerous territory Jose is going into if he's on about to have a war with the fans. I agree with his disagreement with the crowd but I don't think a public war of words with the match going fans will be helpful

stepic

I couldn't really see what happened cause it was the other end of the pitch but it did look like he just stopped chasing the ball, which would obviously be greeted with groans. People react to what just happened in front of them, the same way you'll hear a collective ring of "ooooh"s if he does something fancy. Mourinho over reacting isn't much of a surprise though!
He was chasing it, didn't think he would get to it so pulled up for a slight second, then realised he may get to it, so started up again. Just a simple miscalculation, not testament to him being lazy or something like those who booed would have thought. He worked his socks off all game I thought.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Rashford had played well, I guess that's why they booed. Fans are stupid though if they would have preferred Lukaku come off, and that was proved right given his contribution to the goal.
I reckon the crowd would have taken Smalling off at that stage to put Martial on. That said, I think Rashford had to come off. I'm not sure if he's nursing an injury or he's just really tired, but he could do with a week off while the internationals are on. I doubt he'll get it though, and I doubt he'll ask for it.

SirAF

Ageist
They probably wanted us to take a defender off and plat a front three of Lukaku /rashford /martial. I bet that shoosh gesture was for the crowd it self. Dangerous territory Jose is going into if he's on about to have a war with the fans. I agree with his disagreement with the crowd but I don't think a public war of words with the match going fans will be helpful
Nah, that was obviously to the media and «experts». He said as much post match.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Based on how the game was going, Lukaku always seemed a split-second behind the Spurs defence when moving towards the ball, he then committed the cardinal sin of 'not playing to the whistle' looking for the offside that never came. These issues suggest that its likely that most fans probably wanted Lukaku off and Martial to play with Rashford, but as it was Lukaku's header on to Martial that finally got the winner, then (on this occasion) Jose has every right to 'sush' the fans.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
He was chasing it, didn't think he would get to it so pulled up for a slight second, then realised he may get to it, so started up again. Just a simple miscalculation, not testament to him being lazy or something like those who booed would have thought. He worked his socks off all game I thought.
He didn't look lazy. He did look sluggish in the first half though. Maybe just that the centre backs were playing well, but he looked a poor second to every ball.

Pogbasky

Fans pay the money, they can groan when they want too. Mourinho needs to keep quiet.
The same fans would have sold Fellaini in the summer if they had their way, yet he's been one of our best players this season. Truth is Man United has some of the worst if not the worst supporters in Europe. Even Roy Keane called them prawn sandwhich fans. Most of them only support United because of the brand name. I guess that comes with being the biggest club in the world. (FYI I've been a loyal United fan since 1991 if that means anything).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's a bit precious. Footballers are there for our entertainment, that we've paid a lot of money for. Any emotion, even negative, is part of being entertained. That said, if Jose's comments lead to more vocal positive support eventually, that would be nice.

BeckhamtoScholes

We are a rich man's Stoke. It's not going to be pretty, Lukaku is effective, but if Mourinho changed our style then we would see alot more Lukaku goals that would silence the fan's criticisms.

Take Rooney in 09-10, his "best" season for us, 34 goals, played as main striker, his all round play was shocking but he scored loads and no one cared about his hold up play.

Sparky10Legend

The same fans would have sold Fellaini in the summer if they had their way, yet he's been one of our best players this season. Truth is Man United has some of the worst if not the worst supporters in Europe. Even Roy Keane called them prawn sandwhich fans. Most of them only support United because of the brand name. I guess that comes with being the biggest club in the world. (FYI I've been a loyal United fan since 1991 if that means anything).

Go to many other clubs games do you?

Handkerchief waving etc etc

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Fellaini has had one very good game, and another solid one ie not average to shit. To suggest he's one of the best is barmy but it's the go to craze on here atm. The rest of your post is garbage.

RoyoftheRavers

To be fair, at the time of the substitution Rashford was the one playing with most energy and looked by far the likeliest to create a goal. Obviously Mourinho was vindicated in his decision by Lukaku's header for Martial's goal, but the match was at this point a stalemate and immediately followed two very poor attacking performances which yielded 1 point from 6. The manager needs to get some perspective before coming out with comments like this against the fans.

Jacko21

It's a bit precious. Footballers are there for our entertainment, that we've paid a lot of money for. Any emotion, even negative, is part of being entertained. That said, if Jose's comments lead to more vocal positive support eventually, that would be nice.
That'll be his hope. It's the only reason he makes his feelings known on the matter.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Strange comment, i didnt hear Ashley Young get too much vocal support yesterday but it didn't stop him from playing a blinder.
That's a strange comment. It's almost as if you don't think different humans have different needs and respond differently to different reactions.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That's a strange comment. It's almost as if you don't think different humans have different needs and respond differently to different reactions.
Wait, do you expect 70odd thousand people to cater to individuals needs for how they react?

Kostur

海尔的老板
Don't really give a shit what the crowd that fails to turn up 90% of the time has to say as long as it doesn't affect Mou.

Pogbasky

Fellaini has had one very good game, and another solid one ie not average to shit. To suggest he's one of the best is barmy but it's the go to craze on here atm. The rest of your post is garbage.
Strange post.

parkthebuslads

I'm starting to dislike him as much as Moyes. He's so thoroughly unlikable and so needlessly bitter and miserable, that watching him give an interview has become a chore.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
If supporters don't agree with decisions he makes, or the perceived lack of effort of players, then they will voice their disapproval. I didn't hear anything yesterday that should have given Jose the hump, but if he got it, then challenge us on it. I thought we got behinds the lads yesterday, so maybe it was a chance missed on highlighting the positives from the crowd, but I cant say I'm bothered either way.

RoyoftheRavers

Strange post.
You pretty much set the tone with this one:

el3mel

Booing is always unacceptable for me, whatever it's aimed towards a player or a manager unless that manager is in a crisis or something like that. Imagine being a player about to enter the pitch and hear the fans booing the sub as if they're believing in the player leaving more than you, definitely not good enough. They should applaud the leaving player and support the one incoming.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This is true:

And so is this:

Fans are morons who think they know more than a world class manager.

What else is new.
Nothing much to see here. Manager is telling fans to go easy on his players when they are winning games. I'd do the same.