Mourinho is our best option

Bojan11

We had one shot on target in that game and their defence contained Mignolet, Lovren and Moreno with Jordan Henderson covering them. If thats not a team that can be got at then we differ a lot and aren't going to agree on much.
And I told you the difference their defence is at home and away from home. They also always raise their game regardless of who they got playing.

It was also the first game after a international break and we had Pogba missing. Both teams didn’t play well. A point at Anfield and you are moaning. We should have played like Arsenal then with no defence. Do you think our current defence is capable of holding out against Salah, Mane and Coutinho in a high line? No we would have got battered and then you would have cried. Liverpool had one good chance and so did we. It was a nothing game, we got a point so move on. I can’t believe people keep bringing that up. I could understand the frustrating dropped points to Stoke and Huddersfield.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Since Fergie no one has ever won a prem title in their third year or after. Most managers have an impact right away.
Is that right? Quite an illuminating fact, really. PL football really is instant success, and the man who was supposedly the expert at it isn't providing it.

Silverman

And I told you the difference their defence is at home and away from home. They also always raise their game regardless of who they got playing.

It was also the first game after a international break and we had Pogba missing. Both teams didn’t play well. A point at Anfield and you are moaning. We should have played like Arsenal then with no defence. Do you think our current defence is capable of holding out against Salah, Mane and Coutinho in a high line? No we would have got battered and then you would have cried. Liverpool had one good chance and so did we. It was a nothing game, we got a point so move on. I can’t believe people keep bringing that up. I could understand the frustrating dropped points to Stoke and Huddersfield.
If you're happy with that performance then I'm going to stop replying to you now cos I have nothing left to say.

Bojan11

If you're happy with that performance then I'm going to stop replying to you now cos I have nothing left to say.
So you think a point away to Liverpool is a bad result and the reason we not first?

Get a grip of yourself. They have lost like one league game in 40 at Anfield. You making them out like they Minnows and we should have gone there played total football because it’s as easy as that.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Is that right? Quite an illuminating fact, really. PL football really is instant success, and the man who was supposedly the expert at it isn't providing it.
2013/14: Manchester City (Manuel Pellegrini's 1st season)
2014/15: Chelsea (Jose Mourinho's 2nd season)
2015/16: Leicester City (Claudio Ranieri's 1st season)
2016/17: Chelsea (Antonio Conte's 1st season)

With this year's winners likely to be City with Pep in his 2nd season. You'd figure this trend will end one way or the other next season.

Silverman

So you think a point away to Liverpool is a bad result and the reason we not first?

Get a grip of yourself. They have lost like one league game in 40 at Anfield. You making them out like they Minnows and we should have gone there played total football because it’s as easy as that.
Putting words in my mouth and i've no time for crap like that. I'm out.

Bojan11

Putting words in my mouth and i've no time for crap like that. I'm out.
Before you go out, why is Gary Neville always saying he can’t recall many times we went to Anfield and outplayed them even though we had way better teams. But obviously Silverman knows better.

Putting words in your mouth? You crying about a point at Anfield after a international break and where we had our best player missing. It’s not like dropping points at Stoke or Huddersfield. Those sort of games and Leicester were the killers for me as well as today. Going to Anfield and getting a point is respectable.

Fluctuation0161

When Moyes came we were told to “back the manager”. We backed him. Look how long it took Fergie to sort the team in his early years.

Now that we have a top class manager worth backing, who is building a much better squad than the mediocrity he inherited we need to be patient and back the manager.

My concern is that the board have already told Jose they will not invest beyond their limited budget to enable him to finish the rebuilding job and Jose will be off soon. I hope he stays and is given the backing he needs from fans and board alike.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I’d like to know where this idea comes from that we have to throw everything away if Mourinho goes. Since Fergie no one has ever won a prem title in their third year or after. Most managers have an impact right away.
Moyes took the Champions and finished 7th with them, given the pool of managers available if Jose did leave I'd be amazed if we didn't go backwards again

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If you did deeper you'll probably find that very few managers have made it 3 seasons which on one hand might give foundation to your point

Silverman

Before you go out, why is Gary Neville always saying he can’t recall many times we went to Anfield and outplayed them even though we had way better teams. But obviously Silverman knows better.

Putting words in your mouth? You crying about a point at Anfield after a international break and where we had our best player missing. It’s not like dropping points at Stoke or Huddersfield. Those sort of games and Leicester were the killers for me as well as today. Going to Anfield and getting a point is respectable.
You are putting words in my mouth because not once did I say that a point at Anfield is a bad result. I have a problem with the manner of our performance. We didn't get near their goal other than a Lukaku shot in the first half which simply isn't good enough. We relied on De Gea having another unbeatable performance just not to lose as we never looked like scoring. And don't bring up the international break and missing best player excuse cos it was an identical performance to the one the season before where we yet again relied on De Gea to save our skins.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If those 2 are Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi that may just about work.
So you agree we need 2 genuine world class players to make the next step and join other world class teams like City, PSG, Barcelona and Madrid, who already have those world class players?

Paul_Scholes18

I don't think he is the best option, but a new manager might mess things up even more. We have turned into a buying club without much plan regarding the future. New managers with different ideas. Jose normally can lift a squad short term and I think that is what we have seen. Sadly he might have already peaked earlier this season. In his last spell at Chelsea they performed similar to us this season although had a Hazard to bail them out a bit more.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Bale would be a big waste of money. Last thing our squad needs another injury prone player who is over the hill. Stop signing rejects and get players who are approaching their prime.

In the next 12 months we should sign Ozil with two wide players. Obviously fullbacks too.
Way to contradict yourself mate. Ozil’s reaching his prime is he?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yet Pep won jack in his first season!
Exactly that. Super pep who is like a god now to most of fans, pundits and media inherited best squad in england, invested huge money and failed last year. And than they gave him more money to cover every and i repeat every position that he wanted . Even bench, ffs. Bernardo silva and danilo were bought for bench. Pep literally has squad with all his players, players that he wants to be there. Maybe one or two are not his choice but they are third option in that position.
I am not defending mourinho now, we must win against burnley and leicester with this squad but if he could spent unlimited amount of money like pep he would have bought perisic and rose this summer. Maybe morata instead of lukaku( i don't know anymore who was his first choice and who is better player but it is not important now). Maybe another midfielder for backup. My point is that if we want from mourinho to fight with guardiola we need to give him at least similiar conditions. To build his squad.
It is maybe another excuse for jose but he is second now, right? Only city is above us. That city with unlimited funds.

And back to topic. What exactly fans want from jose? What is in general our problem? I don't see it. Only city is above us( and i explained why). We won 2 trophies last year. We can win 2 this year also. We have core of the squad and need only couple of players.
So i guess people think that we are too defensive? And that is just inexcusable for manchester united? Are we really? How come we are scoring so many goals if we are that defensive?

Edit: i know that i sound like a fanboy but i really can't find better manager at this time for us than mourinho and my fear is that he will leave and we will be in the mess again

Last edited:

Dobbs

Exactly that. Super pep who is like a god now to most of fans, pundits and media inherited best squad in england, invested huge money and failed last year. And than they gave him more money to cover every and i repeat every position that he wanted . Even bench, ffs. Bernardo silva and danilo were bought for bench. Pep literally has squad with all his players, players that he wants to be there. Maybe one or two are not his choice but they are third option in that position.
I am not defending mourinho now, we must win against burnley and leicester with this squad but if he could spent unlimited amount of money like pep he would have bought perisic and rose this summer. Maybe morata instead of lukaku( i don't know anymore who was his first choice and who is better player but it is not important now). Maybe another midfielder for backup. My point is that if we want from mourinho to fight with guardiola we need to give him at least similiar conditions. To build his squad.
It is maybe another excuse for jose but he is second now, right? Only city is above us. That city with unlimited funds.

And back to topic. What exactly fans want from jose? What is in general our problem? I don't see it. Only city is above us( and i explained why). We won 2 trophies last year. We can win 2 this year also. We have core of the squad and need only couple of players.
So i guess people think that we are too defensive? And that is just inexcusable for manchester united? Are we really? How come we are scoring so many goals if we are that defensive?

Edit: i know that i sound like a fanboy but i really can't find better manager at this time than mourinho and my fear is that he will leave and we will be in the mess again
Quite the turnaround from your opinion of our squad back in September:

People seriously underrate our squad. We have pogba, ddg and bailly who would go straight in any first 11. Lukaku and matic for me also. That is 5 players in combine first 11 of pl.
For me;
Ddg
Walker, bailly, ???, rose
Matic, pogba, alli(silva)
Hazard lukaku de bruyne(mane).
Are moratta and kane better than lukaku? For me, no.
Is kante clearly better than matic? Again no.
Also i didn't want to be full biased but is walker really better than valencia?

Also in squad depth we and city are far better than others.
You had five United players in a combined Premier League XI....only two from City! Adding that you only included one of them(Walker), to avoid bias. Believing Valencia to be at least his equal.

I've highlighted your contradiction as you started a thread but it's amazing how many have shifted their opinion of the squad to defend Mourinho.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
When you look at Mou you have to look for his record at other clubs. Every club he has won the league, then bailed/sacked at the third season. With him blaming everyone but himself, the players, the board, the rub of the green, lucky wins by other clubs etc, maybe he is going to buck the trend here. Well he is already out of the title race, we would have to win every game and hope city lose 4/5.depending on the Newcastle game. The next manager will benefit from some of the signings Mou has made but still needs large funds to strengthen, and move deadwood out.
The only team that sacked Jose, twice, was Chelsea. At least get your facts straight before you blabber any nonsense.

Axkiko

For the present, yes it is.

For the future, absolutely not.

City is way better than us atm. I don’t see we are capable to compete them next year as well. Why don’t we have a better coach who can develop youngsters well to build for the future?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Quite the turnaround from your opinion of our squad back in September:

You had five United players in a combined Premier League XI....only two from City! Adding that you only included one of them(Walker), to avoid bias. Believing Valencia to be at least his equal.

I've highlighted your contradiction as you started a thread but it's amazing how many have shifted their opinion of the squad to defend Mourinho.
Squad has 22 players not 11. And it is my opinion not mourinhos about a squad.
And also if you read my last post better, i think that our squad is very very good. But again i am not a manager. Jose is. If he needs stuart downing, give him stuart downing.
So please don't put my words out of context.

Edit: if you are playing that game and searching my posts, then you will see that in every thread like thit i repeat that we need only 2 more players. 2 world class players. Winger and no10. I am repeating that like a parrot all the time. 2 players make a huge difference. Remove 2 best players from real, barca, psg and you will get different squad.

Last edited:

Dobbs

Squad has 22 players not 11. And it is my opinion not mourinhos about a squad.
And also if you read my last post better, i think that our squad is very very good. But again i am not a manager. Jose is. If he needs stuart downing, give him stuart downing
You had five United players in a Premier League XI, only two from City. Now you're claiming we can't possibly compete with them no matter who the manager is.

Come on you've considerably switched your opninon of the squad and team in a little over three months just to defend the manager.

I just don't get this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I’d like to know where this idea comes from that we have to throw everything away if Mourinho goes. Since Fergie no one has ever won a prem title in their third year or after. Most managers have an impact right away.
That's more so a coincidence than some sort of expected occurrence. And even if you believe that, Mourinho would be very competitive in taking us deep into a league this year if not for City's ridiculous, once in a lifetime 110 point pace this year.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You had five United players in a Premier League XI, only two from City. Now you're claiming we can't possibly compete with them no matter who the manager is.

Come on you've considerably switched your opninon of the squad and team in a little over three months just to defend the manager.

I just don't get this.
Yeah, you clearly can't. And i clearly can't explain that to you.
And bolded part? When i said that? Again you are doing the same thing.
One more time:
My opinion is valencia better than walker or lukaku than aguero is not important here. I still think that our first 11 is very good.
But we are talking here about jose vs pep. I am not selecting the squad. Jose wants 2,3 more players. He doesn't get them.
Pep needs 2, 3 more players. He gets them. What is here to not understand?

Last edited:

Dobbs

Yeah, you clearly can't. And i clearly can't explain that to you.
And bolded part? When i said that? Again you are doing the se thing.
One more time:
My opinion is valencia better than walker or lukaku than aguero is not important here. I still think that our first 11 is very good.
But we are talking here about jose vs pep. I am not selecting the squad. Jose wants 2,3 more players. He doesn't get them.
Pep needs 2, 3 more players. He gets them. What is here to not understand?
Three months ago you said City only have two players who make the best premier league XI. With one of those being debatable. You're now claiming Pep has every single player he wanted, the perfect conditions to go and win the league.

Meanwhile you believe it's only fair to judge Mourinho when he has two more world class players. That's on top of the FIVE players we already have who again three months ago you stated would get in the Premier League XI.

That obviously makes zero sense. You've changed your opinion of the team to defend the manager. Far from the only one but that's what's happened.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Three months ago you said City only have two players who make the best premier league XI. With one of those being debatable. You're now claiming Pep has every single player he wanted, the perfect conditions to go and win the league.

Meanwhile you believe it's only fair to judge Mourinho when he has two more world class players. That's on top of the FIVE players we already have who again three months ago you stated would get in the Premier League XI.

That obviously makes zero sense. You've changed your opinion of the team to defend the manager. Far from the only one but that's what's happened.
You are now fecking with me, right? Because i really really really can't understand that you don't get it.
I give up. You win. Go now and find some other quotes from someone else, misinterpret it and have fun.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
You are now fecking with me, right? Because i really really really can't understand that you don't get it.
I give up. You win. Go now and find some other quotes from someone else, misinterpret it and have fun.
Basically, I think that @Dobbs is saying that you (at the start of the season) in a combined Premier League XI had 5-6 United players but only 1-2 City players. This implies that at the start of the season, you believed that United had a better team than City.

This means that Mourinho must be underperforming with the players he has to be 12-15 points behind. You can’t have it both ways.

IMO, it’s a combination of both. I think that City have overall a slightly better team than United, but Pep has also outperformed Jose so far this season.

Member 5225

I’m a self confessed Jose fanboi, I wanted him to succeed SAF (heck even before he announced his retirement)!

But I do understand the concerns and the obvious shortcomings of our squad and team recently.

My thing is, I don’t know just who else has the gravitas and stature to take on the job and take us to SAF levels again.

My hope is Pep / City is a short term hurricane that passes over soon (ala Barca and Bayern where Pep left without building a dynasty or multiple teams)...

Last edited by a moderator:

Son Of Sam

Did ya ever stop to think that their defence could be so good at home because teams don't go at them? It's the same players home or away. We should have went at them and see just how good they really are at defending at home.

This is nonsense.....
Chelsea went at them and got the same points as we did. Arsenal went at them and conceded 4 goals. Jose isn’t stupid, he knew the risks of going at them and getting humiliated by the pace of Salah could have derailed his season totally.

Liverpool are very strong at home and I am certain it’s the only ground left capable of getting maximum points from Man City. We didn’t have the clout to go gung-ho at Anfield. Pogba was absent, we had no creative enough to cause the kinda chaos we did at the Emirates.

Liverpool aren’t pushovers at Anfield.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Basically, I think that @Dobbs is saying that you (at the start of the season) in a combined Premier League XI had 5-6 United players but only 1-2 City players. This implies that at the start of the season, you believed that United had a better team than City.

This means that Mourinho must be underperforming with the players he has to be 12-15 points behind. You can’t have it both ways.

IMO, it’s a combination of both. I think that City have overall a slightly better team than United, but Pep has also outperformed Jose so far this season.
Why? I thought and especially now i think also that 6 or 7 our players are mid table players so by that logic...
But again- it is not issue here.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
At the moment, he is our best option. We can revisit the question again half way/at the end of next season. I don't believe the club will go underground if Jose leaves like some people do. Nor do I think we should consider our options right now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

There's a lot of that on the caf. His squad changed from "about as good as ours" to "greatest ever squad" very quickly it seems.

Werd.

He really needs to gut the squad rather than hanging onto the dross and thinking he can work miracles. Also, he underestimated just how poor the mentality of our squad as a whole is. Though, I would back him to make the required changes.

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

Why the feck do people find it so hard to understand that Mourinho being the best option (debatable), shouldn't mean he is beyond criticism and reproach?

Bojan11

You are putting words in my mouth because not once did I say that a point at Anfield is a bad result. I have a problem with the manner of our performance. We didn't get near their goal other than a Lukaku shot in the first half which simply isn't good enough. We relied on De Gea having another unbeatable performance just not to lose as we never looked like scoring. And don't bring up the international break and missing best player excuse cos it was an identical performance to the one the season before where we yet again relied on De Gea to save our skins.
De Gea had one save to make all game. You need to start watching games rather than heading out.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Not read all posts, but i can't see any better options.
Jose' s pride will win us something big.

Bojan11

Way to contradict yourself mate. Ozil’s reaching his prime is he?
He’s on a free and better than most number 10s we have been linked with. Would allow us to spend big on other areas which we badly need as this squad needs four new wide players and that’s not going to come cheap.

And he is certainly not past his prime like Zlatan was.

Cal?

CR7 fan
So you agree we need 2 genuine world class players to make the next step and join other world class teams like City, PSG, Barcelona and Madrid, who already have those world class players?
2 world class players, someone like Griezmann and Kroos won't do it. We need 2 of the best of all time.

Ashley R1+O

He really needs to gut the squad rather than hanging onto the dross and thinking he can work miracles. Also, he underestimated just how poor the mentality of our squad as a whole is. Though, I would back him to make the required changes.
Best way to put it, there are players who are bottling it and being paid well above their pay grade to be leaders. The whole thing is a mess of LVG's creation, the amount of title winners and core leaders he gutted was criminal. All we can do is be patient because it will take time to make something, or rebuild something here.