Mourinho Post Match Comments

The United

Just commenting on how he's set his teams up in the past, no need for the cuntishness, mate. :)
In the past 4 games with us, he sets up differently. Does it tell you enough that you dont know him?

Don't be too sensitive.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
In the past 4 games with us, he sets up differently. Does it tell you enough that you dont know him?

Don't be too sensitive.
Four games where Smalling was suspended for one of them. Smalling was also injured in preseason, so he's had a very disrupted start and it made no sense to chop and change CBs especially when Blind seemed to be performing well.

4 games with us doesn't take precedence against 11 seasons since Chelsea 04-05. Don't be daft.

The United

Four games where Smalling was suspended for one of them. Smalling was also injured in preseason, so he's had a very disrupted start and it made no sense to chop and change CBs especially when Blind seemed to be performing well.

4 games with us doesn't take precedence against 11 seasons since Chelsea 04-05. Don't be daft.
It is not just with blind though, is it? Also he has been trying to buy CBs with decent ball passing ability. So maybe you know he probably changed his opinion on it.

What about the others that i listed? Did you fully think those could be in his first team's plans? He has been doing everything you thought he would so far here?

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
It is not just with blind though, is it? Also he has been trying to buy CBs with decent ball passing ability. So maybe you know he probably changed his opinion on it.

What about the others that i listed? Did you fully think those could be in his first team's plans? He has been doing everything you thought he would so far here?
With the exception of Mata, yeah.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
I think it's the closest player to pass to. And yes many times United lost it in the the first half because City's players were more aggressive on it when the United players were waiting for the ball. Maybe he wanted us to bypass that first wave of pressing. Wenger said something similar against Barcelona a while ago... Get out of the first wave of pressing and opportunities will come.
Yes. As a coach (keeper) the first station simply means the first defender you're likely to pass the ball to in possession. Its based on body angle and all that stuff. Barcelona usually pressed at an angle to force you into a pass they already knew you were going to make to get out of it. Its either you lost it or played it long to give back possession. Jose didn't want them to get caught like that he wanted his players to bypass the obvious and choose another pass behind the pressing players (2nd station). Pep's teams are very good at this to be fair.

RedPnutz

Yup from the past, smalling got sent off in city game and FA cup final. Yeah good example of not letting the occasions get to you etc.

Also, jose as usual talking shit , he just hates losing against pep and dishing shit out on the players.
What are you on about?

It is not just Pep he hates to lose to, like SAF he hates to lose. That's a good thing.

And dishing out on the players? This is not one man playing a video game controlling 11 players. Players do have individual states.

Plus he also says that it is his responsibility that we lost as well.

The United

What are you on about?

It is not just Pep he hates to lose to, like SAF he hates to lose. That's a good thing.

And dishing out on the players? This is not one man playing a video game controlling 11 players. Players do have individual states.

Plus he also says that it is his responsibility that we lost as well.
Lol if you follow those 2 for awhile, you would know what I meant. There is lots of stuff in it.

I am not going over details about it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
If you listen carefully to his comments, the first half happened the way it did because his players failed to deliver what they were instructed. Mistakes by Pogba and Bailly and the invisibility of Lingard and Mhkitaryan provided the space and possession for City to exploit. Had his players delivered his tactical plan, the first half would have been different.

As Mourinho says at end of interview, he is still learning about how his players respond and react to certain situations and that will continue to take time. It will be a while before he can select teams that he can be certain will deploy his tactical plan (like SAF was able to do for many years). Until that time, its difficult to objectively criticise his tactics. That being said, of course he is learning and he says so in the interview.

As an aside, I'm loving listening to him knowing he is our manager and he is passionate about our club. He is vastly knowledgable and very charismatic.

RedPnutz

Lol if you follow those 2 for awhile, you would know what I meant. There is lots of stuff in it.

I am not going over details about it.
I do know and there's also a thread about it in the Football forum.

That seems a good thing. Such rivalries can bring out the best in both.

Like Messi and Ronaldo.

The United

I do know and there's also a thread about it in the Football forum.

That seems a good thing. Such rivalries can bring out the best in both.

Like Messi and Ronaldo.
So you were aware of their ugly classico whatever shits where everyone dived, tried to get each other sent off, poking eyes and what not for those 2 years or so?

Amir

By the way, I know that some people don't like that Mourinho is basically saying players let him down, but I remember Fergie talking after the 1999 semi final first leg, when Juventus dominated for 45 minutes at OT. Fergie said that even though the wingers were instructed that when one of them attacks, the other tucks in to form a midfield trio, they didn't do that because they let the excitement go to them, or something like that.

I don't see the problem with the simple truth. We all know players who got a big chance yesterday didn't take it and it cost us.

Drainy

I think Brwnd is right. Pre-Madrid Mourinho would have diverted attention to himself rather than blaming players- even if they were failing to follow instructions

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
Silicon Valley 3.1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeYaQGbD6Xc

Gavin Belson: 'But make no mistake. Though they're the ones leaving, it is I who must remain and bear the heavy burden of their failure.

It is my fault. I trusted them to get the job done.

But that is the price of leadership.

Thank you.'

Audience member 1: 'That was the gutsiest thing I've ever seen.'

Audience member 2: 'Amazing.'

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
This is definitely a criticism of Mkhitaryan. So many times we lost the ball because this was exactly what he kept doing.
Turns out I might have been wrong, after watching the full post match from Jose. He specifically mentioned Bailly and Blind for being guilty of those "first station passes."

krombacher92

Turns out I might have been wrong, after watching the full post match from Jose. He specifically mentioned Bailly and Blind for being guilty of those "first station passes."
Odd. Especially in the second half Blind hit a long pass every time he got the ball.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Odd. Especially in the second half Blind hit a long pass every time he got the ball.
They got the message in the second half. Mourinho was talking about the first half when he mentioned first station passes.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think Mhki and Jesse he realised his mistake that they were not fit and that the game was passing them by. That was a misjudgement on his part. Don't think he was criticising them specifically about the play. As you say he was more unhappy with Bailly and Blind and that they were passing the ball into trouble.

Dante

Average bang
You're right - there are ways to be critical, it doesn't need to focus on the positives. The difference here seems pretty clear to me:

vs.

It's "we" vs. "I" / "them"
He uses the word 'we' all the time in the above video. Far more than he refers to himself.

In any case, this isn't his team of warriors. Once he figures who'll die for his cause, he'll be much more inclusive. Though, to be fair, if the team failed to follow his instructions to the letter, being called out on it in public is the best way to get them to realise that they should never ignore the manager. This is still LvG's team. Mourinho is laying down his marker.

Last edited:

kps88

You're right - there are ways to be critical, it doesn't need to focus on the positives. The difference here seems pretty clear to me:

vs.

It's "we" vs. "I" / "them"
If Mourinho gave that first presser instead, people would have been pointing out how he threw his experienced players under the bus and blamed them for the heavy loss, in particular Rio and Evra.

Eg - "He should have gone out and told them to stop attacking rather than just blaming the players".

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If Mourinho gave that first presser instead, people would have been pointing out how he threw his experienced players under the bus and blamed them for the heavy loss, in particular Rio and Evra.

Eg - "He should have gone out and told them to stop attacking rather than just blaming the players".
He wasn't blaming Ferdinand and Evra individually, from what I can tell. He's using them as examples of the experience that they had in the squad and how he expected from the team, as a whole, to react in that situation. Obviously the team didn't react as he expected, and he's disappointed in that, but to make it comparable he would've said off the back of that, "now I know who can handle that situation and maybe next time I'll do it differently". Prior to that point he would've pointed out that his tactical mastery was completely wasted because certain players weren't able to fulfil his instructions. That's obviously not what Sir Alex did.

Anyway, I don't really care that much. I just think the two sets of comments are noticeably different in tone and purpose, while his comments there are worryingly similar to what he said at Chelsea in his second stint. People disagree - fair enough, no more needs said.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Not a football expert but I assume it pertains to the number of short passes to the closest player that United tried to play after winning possession. The pass would go into the player and then he would quickly lose possession as City applied pressure to the player in this position.

Interesting to note that in the second half we hardly tried to do this and it made a massive difference. City had no answer for our size and direct play.
possibly and we did put each other under pressure with lots of the close passing. some looked so worried they would lose possession, they passed it to the nearest guy even if he had two or three City men on him

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He seems incredibly open about his analysis. Not sure how wise that is, enjoyable though it is.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Classic Mourinho, blame the players, the ref anyone but himself.
Nobody is talking about how he picked the wrong team or how City were so much better than us.

Snafu17

It took one loss for people to start over analyzing his post match comments/pressers. If we would win and he would have similar comments about the first half nobody would bat an fecking eye.

Irrational.

Really interesting comments, he repeated his sentiments on the club's official website:

First reflections
"What did I make of today? I think in the first half they were much better than us. We started the game badly. We started the game with some players really below the normal level, in terms of their concentration, of their mental ability to play a game of this speed because you need to be sharp in the way you think, the way you play. In a match of this dimension, when you have three or four players not at that level, you pay for that. The team paid for it."

Derby of two halves
"In the first half, for 35 minutes it was City in control, City deserved to be in front. In the last period of the first half we scored a goal and we could immediately score again but I think that was outside the context of the game in the first half. The second half was completely different, and when they brought on Fernando, they were feeling what everybody was feeling, that we were in control. We were much more dangerous, we had our chances to equalise and who knows what could happen if we had equalised. For 45 minutes, we fought really hard. We tried everything, took lots of risks and deserved a different result."

Deciding factors in defeat
"I think we were punished by a lot of things. First thing: our first half – the way we started, some individual performances made the team look fragile. We were also punished by two decisions of Mark [Clattenburg], because even the best referees can make mistakes and he made two mistakes. The first one is Bravo [on Rooney] – it’s a penalty and a red card. If any player does that outside the box, it’s a direct free-kick and a red card, so inside the box it’s a penalty and a red card. But the referee maybe thought of the consequences of that because the consequences would be a completely different game and he didn’t want to take that decision, which would be very important. And the second one is another penalty – Otamendi, with his elbow. He tries to stop the cross that’s going in front of him but the cross goes behind him, he’s looking to the ball and brings the arm and elbow back, and it’s another clear penalty. So we were also punished by that."

Right team selection?
"Look, honestly, I had two or three players in the first half who, if the game was played now and I know what is going to happen, then I wouldn't play them. But this is football and sometimes players, they disappoint managers, and sometimes players, they give us great surprises. I thought because of the characteristics of the game we could hurt them playing with some individuals with some qualities, they didn't give what I want. Is it their fault? Is it my fault? It's my fault because I'm the manager and it's always my fault because it's always my choice."

Positives to take from the second half
"The positives I take are the spirit of the group and the mentality to play the second half in the way we played it, taking enormous risks against a team that was defending and was waiting for a chance to counter-attack."

Two substitutions at half-time
"I would have done more if I could, because I was far from happy with the performance and I had to try to change the direction of the game, which we clearly did, but we didn’t get the compensation of what we did in the second half. I was feeling [we would score again] until the last minute, like we did at Hull City. When you feel that the team is there and ready to give everything until the last second, you are always waiting for something. And in the last 15 minutes, against a very good team obviously, we gambled in such a way that we left one against one in defence and went forward with everybody else to try to take to City a situation of big pressure, which we did. But again we did not get the compensation we deserved. In the first half we were punished like we deserved, but in the second half we didn’t get the compensation we deserved."

Results like this can happen
"You know that in this league you are always going to lose matches and you know that especially between the big teams, three results are more than possible to happen. So I don’t open my mouth when Liverpool go and beat Arsenal at Arsenal, when City beat Man United here, when Man United beat Chelsea or Tottenham away – nobody opens their mouth with surprise because it’s a normal result. But of course we’re sad and disappointed with the defeat."
He trusted some players with their quality, and it seems like his trust was misplaced. What was really surprising was that rarely do you see Jose rotate his team. If a selection works, he usually sticks with it.

Nevertheless, the players that he brought into the line-up let him down and badly. I don't think he'll make that mistake again. He's learnt his lesson.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Really interesting comments, he repeated his sentiments on the club's official website:

He trusted some players with their quality, and it seems like his trust was misplaced. What was really surprising was that rarely do you see Jose rotate his team. If a selection works, he usually sticks with it.

Nevertheless, the players that he brought into the line-up let him down and badly. I don't think he'll make that mistake again. He's learnt his lesson.
He doesn't rotate once he settles on his best team. He's obviously not quite there yet.

Dobbs

Taking the blame is very noble and everything but it's boring, it's not the truth and it doesn't explain the performance.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We got rid of the wrong deadwood.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So really he has to be the front player of a pivot, with two behind to cover any gaps left? A No. 10 that is a midfielder, rather than Rooney being a withdrawn striker?
It is amazing how some people make football so complicated.
For a simpleton like me, can someone translate this?

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
I really enjoyed his comments to be honest, and it was perfectly fair as well. Good to see a manager who actually tells it like it is rather than the same old BS most players/managers are coming out with.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes. As a coach (keeper) the first station simply means the first defender you're likely to pass the ball to in possession. Its based on body angle and all that stuff. Barcelona usually pressed at an angle to force you into a pass they already knew you were going to make to get out of it. Its either you lost it or played it long to give back possession. Jose didn't want them to get caught like that he wanted his players to bypass the obvious and choose another pass behind the pressing players (2nd station). Pep's teams are very good at this to be fair.
This seems to make sense. I'm just really surprised that footballers at the highest level would get carried away and ignore the managers specific instructions. Surely he'd be bleating about this in training and right before the game.