Mourinho : "Transfer spend is not enough"

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
LOL. This thread title. Read the full quotes. He is saying because United is a large club they will have to pay more for players. He admits the team still has weaknesses and is proud of his players for his efforts. Some of you need to get a grip.
Yup. The full quotes show the spend comment in a different context. The "spend is not enough" is something he is saying in comparison with City and he is right there when one considers the lot better talent City had and then the players they added in last 2 years by spending more. We still should be doing better mind, should be around 48-49 points mark at this stage but that's hardly a controversial comment. Anti-Mourinho brigade will go on and on in this thread nonetheless.

UTDbornfan

Many will agree with him, already saw comments in match thread like " we need to buy new better players". Here is a thing, when it comes to adding new players, there is a pattern with us, we buy new players and at very start of season they look good/really good, same those people come out then with comments like " you see when you spend properly on proper players" etc. Then how games are passing those players looking worse and worse and merge into same shit we had before they joined.

Its like having a pool filled with cold water and then adding boiling water in it, repeat process every transfer window. Maybe its time we spend on some heaters and warm the water we already have.
I like that example :D and completely agree with you

MJJ

We werent a mess? we had a fat alchoholic as our main striker, past it players like bastian, midfielders bought playing full backs, highest signing fecking off, players openly leaking to the press.
Most if not all of LVG's signings failed and moyes signings have been better used by mourinho than anyone else.
Depay - shit
Bastian- shit
Schniderlin - shit
Rojo - best under jose last year
ADM- fecked off
Blind- squad player at best
Herrera- one good year under jose
Shaw - Injured always
Fellaini - good under jose
Mata - Decent

That is not mourinho's fault where as city already had a better side by then .
City had no goal keeper, no defender other than an injury cocked kompany, no fullbacks. One proper midfielder in fernandinho, an injury prone aguero, a past it yaya and two world class Ams in silva and kdb with no wingers.

It's not hard to fix am argument to suit an agenda.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Mourinho has tried to solve the problems left over from Moyes and LVG and in his first season, with a lot of the remnants of the teams from the previous managers, managed to win us the League Cup and Europa League.

This year the team has accumulated more points than last season and he is continuing building a better team - and no one can say that our team is not much better than the last seasons!

We still have 3/4 key positions which need strengthening so we should try to buy 1/2 in January and another 1/2 in Summer.

We are still fighting for the top positions and currently in 2nd place - it's imperative that we get into CL positions as unfortunately the whole of the Premier League teams have to contend with a super city team, and Pep is still forcing his board to buy him another couple of players to plug what he thinks are a couple of weaknesses in the team, so mourinho is perfectly right in saying what he's saying!

Dave_fan

Both United and City finished level on same number of points in 15-16 season before Jose,Pep took over. We had better GK, defense than City. City had an ageing defense. City had better attacking talent than us (had great young talent in KDB, Sterling... whereas we had Martial coming off after a great season) before Pep arrived but on the whole as a team, there wasn't that big of a gap between both the teams.

Fast forward 18 months, the gap has only widened between both the teams. City and Pep identified their biggest issue which is their defense and spent money wisely and fixed it. On the other hand, we haven't spent money wisely and still haven't even fixed any of our issues properly. It's not even the case of board not backing Jose, board has backed him in every transfer window so far except probably Perisic signing ( which is understandable).

I think many of us here would have been fine if we were atleast close to City despite not playing exciting football. But since we are neither close to City not playing some exciting football, the frustration is just keeping on increasing with every matchday.

Last edited:

spiriticon

Have to disagree with most of the points there.

I wasn't trying to imply that this is something new. I was simply highlighting the fact that the thread title caused a huge overreaction because the quotes were taken out of context. If you look at Mourinho's signings all of them have been effective as a whole. Some more than others but as a whole they have made the squad stronger.

Bailly - Our best defender by Far when Fit - Nope, Phil Jones is. When fit. Bailly isn't half bad so this isn't a big issue for me.
Ibra - Carried the team last year and if not for a devestating injury would be doing the same this year - No problems with resigning him, but we could have promoted a young striker insteading of paying his wages.
Mkhitaryan - Started the season brilliantly, going through a rough patch in form - He's a waste of money.
Pogba - Finally a top level midfielder to anchor the midfield for years to come - Agreed.

Lindelof - Our best defender right now - So good we are conceding feckloads when he plays. He's a waste of money.
Lukaku - Carried us to a hot start this season with his early form - Not worth the money. Partial waste.
Matic - Our current player of the season. - Agreed.

Even if you say Miki is a bust, 6/7 have drastically improved the team from where it was.
For me, only Pogba, Matic and Bailly are his winners. However, Matic isn't going to play at this level for long and is Bailly the new Phil Jones in terms of injuries? The rest have been a huge waste of funds.

Jose can definitely do better in the scouting department.

Last edited:

Oneunited26

Thankfully, he's now accepted being one as well.

Now the board need to decide if that's what they thought as well and if they're ok to sign a few more huge cheques.
They had the fergie genius who could keep their powder dry and still make the top four, while the owners and boardroom was riding off the fums of the end of a golden era of fergie's reign. Now because of their penny pinching tactics it seems from 2009-12, they now have to over spend because they never planned for fergie leaving with some god awful manager decisions. Some of the board thought the club's position was untouchable, talent recruitment, along with coaching and tactics needs looking at. From Moyes, VG to Mourinho, one is better than the other, but the performances have not changed, unless we have been cursed something is wrong

Water Melon

Mourinho is the definition of a chequebook manager
Good to see that he's admitting to being a checkbook manager.
This. Wanna win a league, buy it! So much for laughing at City for buying the league. Our saviour is callinv us to do exactly the same. Shite piece of news is that City can easily outspend Utd at any given time. It is a fact, need to live with it and find some additional ways to increase our chances.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
When you look at what we got for almost £600m it becomes clear why we're still not very good. An absolute fortune spent and very few great players bought. If you gave Real Madrid or PSG £600m they'd build a team of superstars. We've bought a team full of mediocrity. It's ridiculous it really is
The problem has been not identifying the correct young players to target. For the price of Memphis and Herrera we could have had De Bruyne for example.

A huge part of the failures at this club is the piss poor scouting that’s plagued us for years.

Red_toad

Good to see that he's admitting to being a checkbook manager.
When trying to catch a chequebook manager it's impossible to be anything else. I've never seen any comment made by him where he doesn't acknowledge if you want to be the best you have to buy top level players.
All competitive teams in this league spend big.

Manny

Grammar Police
He's not getting the best out of the players he has, and we seem to go further and further backwards after every big game.

In five years, we could be looking back at this as another bloated spending period with little to show for it.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Tbf, Man United is one of the few clubs who can sustain a chequebook manager, and where it kind of fits the profile.
And there's no denying Mourinho has been reasonably successful so far at Utd, with the EL win being a pretty respectable and big achievement in his first season.
The problem is, Pep is at their city rivals who is equally successful as a chequebook manager, yet at the same time more successful as a coach.
So therefore Utd are 'only' 2nd.
Such selective bullshite. The last time I checked Mourinho won back to back European trophies without a massive cheque book at Porto. Whereas someone like the beloved bald messias has only performed in jobs where he either had the best squad of players in the world before he even made one transfer (Barca), or simply the biggest budget in the country (Bayern, City).

Alabaster Codify7

He wanted 4 last season, got 4. Wanted 4 this summer, got 3. Of those 3, one is seemingly pointless (Lindelof, who is not an improvement on any of the CB options we already had), Matic was a good signing, Lukaku was a like-for-like swap for the injured Zlatan and is proving to be divisive. I expected that. Could never make my mind up about Lukaku at Everton, still haven't really.

When Perisic was looking unlikely, we should have had an alternative but we didn't. Move on. I'm not 100% convinced by Jose's ability to 'pick a player' anymore. I think he's losing his touch there, honestly.

Jose wants PSG next season, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind. PSG want the CL, Jose will go there, have 3 successful seasons including a CL win, then will leave.

The Bloody-Nine

Such selective bullshite. The last time I checked Mourinho won back to back European trophies without a massive cheque book at Porto. Whereas someone like the beloved bald messias has only performed in jobs where he either had the best squad of players in the world before he even made one transfer (Barca), or simply the biggest budget in the country (Bayern, City).
Seriously, don't waste your time.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I actually can't believe he's used this excuse. Remarkable.

Klean

Have to disagree with most of the points there.

For me, only Pogba, Matic and Bailly are his winners. However, Matic isn't going to play at this level for long. The rest have been a huge waste of funds.

Jose can definitely do better in the scouting department.
What striker would you have promoted instead of signing Ibra?
Miki I think can come good, but will be gone before he has a chance to show it
Lindelof, I completely disagree on.
Lukaku, I think will be fine with a #10 that suits his play.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I wasn't trying to imply that this is something new. I was simply highlighting the fact that the thread title caused a huge overreaction because the quotes were taken out of context. If you look at Mourinho's signings all of them have been effective as a whole. Some more than others but as a whole they have made the squad stronger.

Bailly - Our best defender by Far when Fit
Ibra - Carried the team last year and if not for a devestating injury would be doing the same this year
Mkhitaryan - Started the season brilliantly, going through a rough patch in form
Pogba - Finally a top level midfielder to anchor the midfield for years to come

Lindelof - Our best defender right now
Lukaku - Carried us to a hot start this season with his early form
Matic - Our current player of the season.

Even if you say Miki is a bust, 6/7 have drastically improved the team from where it was.
That's way too positive imo. Bailly has been ok, he has potential, but is a bit overrated here and his injuries don't help. Right now our mainstays at CB are still the always injured buddies Smalling and Jones, who were already on the way out at the end of last season. Lindelof has been ok at best, he still deserves time. Ibra was good last year, but he was always a short-term thing and we needed a plan alongside him. Lukaku had a good start, but has been poor lately and not scoring enough for the money we spend on him. Miki is a flop, not much more to say. Pogba and Matic were great signings, no doubt about that. So while he has a better transfer record than the managers before him, it's still not that great. He can only blame himself for not signing any fullback or real winger in his 3 windows here and instead of going for Ibra and then replacing him one year later, it might have been cleverer to sign a younger striker already in the first year and then get a signing for another position. The impact of his signings isn't really that great at the moment apart from the midfield.

AshRK

City had no goal keeper, no defender other than an injury cocked kompany, no fullbacks. One proper midfielder in fernandinho, an injury prone aguero, a past it yaya and two world class Ams in silva and kdb with no wingers.

And when jose took over we had one world class player who is a GK. Wingers playing as fullback. Decent Cbs who fans make out like they are world class. No midfield. No strikers. Two young raw attackers aged 20 and 18. Truth is both the teams needed repairing but one team needed their defence fixed and other needed it's attack fixed and any football fan would tell you buying attackers costs you more.

Pep has bought 14 players and Jose has added 7 since he took over. There lies the difference.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan

Haha you are the one with agenda!
This is them when pep takes that includes-

Aguero -Played 30 PL games scored 24 premier league goals
Nicolas otamendi - Bought for 38 million
Raheem sterling - No winger you say? bought for 49 million
Komapny - Injured yes, but tpart of the team
Jesus navas- average player, but yeah again a winger
David silva - Best city player ever
Mangala - Bought for 40 million
Hart - At that time ENglands best keeper and was held in same breath as de gea
Delph
KDB - 60 million signing
Fernandinho -
Fernando - Bought for 30 odd million
Bony - bought for 30 millon +

Of these They now have - Fernandinho ,silva, aguero, Raheem sterling, Otamendi, KDB,Komapny (7/11 starting members) with yaya, mangala as bench players.

Who is one with agenda we know now and who is without facts also we know now. Go back to sleep man, you are drunk.

Zoo

Jose is right but I don’t think he’s the man to oversee an overhaul in the squad. This is where a DoF is needed.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Pep has bought 14 players and Jose has added 7 since he took over. There lies the difference.
And whose fault is that? Mourinho has spent near £300m which is more than enough money. Target your players smarter/with a tighter budget, or let more players go to free funds for what you need.

Guardiola was super pragmatic and axed everyone he didn't need. That freed up the space and wage-budgets - Mourinho hasn't done that at all.

IronCroos37

After SAF i don't think we had a single exceptional signing and 600 mil was spent. Last ones trully great were Robin and David De Gea.

Pogba is not exceptional, till now. He has to perform week in week out at a high level.
Could have been but are not : Shaw, Mata, Martial, Di Maria

Klean

That's way too positive imo. Bailly has been ok, he has potential, but is a bit overrated here and his injuries don't help. Right now our mainstays at CB are still the always injured buddies Smalling and Jones, who were already on the way out at the end of last season. Lindelof has been ok at best, he still deserves time. Ibra was good last year, but he was always a short-term thing and we needed a plan alongside him. Lukaku had a good start, but has been poor lately and not scoring enough for the money we spend on him. Miki is a flop, not much more to say. Pogba and Matic were great signings, no doubt about that. So while he has a better transfer record than the managers before him, it's still not that great. He can only blame himself for not signing any fullback or real winger in his 3 windows here and instead of going for Ibra and then replacing him one year later, it might have been cleverer to sign a younger striker already in the first year and then get a signing for another position. The impact of his signings isn't really that great at the moment apart from the midfield.
The thing is you cannot just add 6 or 7 players at once and expect to come out firing out of the gate. I think Bailly hasn't played recently and people forget how good he was. Last year we were talking about him in the same vein as we talk about Matic right now. Ibra was always signed to provide a winning mentality and mentor Rashford and Martial. People are saying the same things about Lukaku that they said about Morata when he went through a dry patch. The expectation comes with the fee paid. Miki is polarizing and everyone will have their own opinion on him.

Moonred

It may not be enough to catch City or be very good but it should be enough to play better or build a squad more accomplished. It definitely shouldn’t be a squad still looking like 4/5 players short.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
With hindsight I think the decision to bring in Ibrahimovic is going to be one of the weirdest decisions I’ve ever seen. As we’ve seen this year he clearly isn’t going to make much of an impact this season. So that meant last year we gave almost every minute up front to a striker who we were going to have to replace for massive money the year after. Lukaku could have had another year developing with the squad and we would have saved millions on our wage bill. Ibrahimovic basically pushed our problems back for a year and cost us loads in wages.

Data

The problem has been not identifying the correct young players to target. For the price of Memphis and Herrera we could have had De Bruyne for example.

A huge part of the failures at this club is the piss poor scouting that’s plagued us for years.
And De Bruyne was not good enough for who again ?
It's not the scouting or the lack of spending that is affecting our lack of attracting football ..
The problem is the coach, the sooner we stop associating these far fetch situations to this, the better.

Mister_Stubbs

And this is why I’m slowly getting fed up with top level football and warming more to the shit the lower leagues throw up.

Robindinho

Give him all the money in the world, we’d still look clueless in attack.

It’s the tactics and game plan that are the issue.

nesty

The knock on effects of hiring Moyes are still with us today.
I disagree. Granted he was completely out of his depth, he wasn't there long enough to have a lasting effect. The recruitment since his department has been awful.

Listening to Jose, it sounds like he isn't up for the challenge at this point in his career. Perhaps a young Jose moving from European champions Porto would have a more fighting spirit than the one we're seeing.

I dread to think what would happen if he decides to leave for Paris this summer. Ibra effectively on the way out, two fullbacks also coming towards the end of their career, and a sever lack of quality wingers.

Reactions: crappycraperson

AshRK

And whose fault is that? Mourinho has spent near £300m which is more than enough money. Target your players smarter/with a tighter budget, or let more players go to free funds for what you need.

Guardiola was super pragmatic and axed everyone he didn't need. That freed up the space and wage-budgets - Mourinho hasn't done that at all.
Jose has been fault for not being ruthless but it is not a rocket science in admitting that buying a attackers/midfielders will cost you a bomb. Imagine if city had no KdB and had to buy him, he would have cost them 100 million.

Woodzy

What bothers me the most is that with the amount of transfer windows we have had post-Fergie, we still don't have anything close to a best XI.

Son Of Sam

LOL. This thread title. Read the full quotes. He is saying because United is a large club they will have to pay more for players. He admits the team still has weaknesses and is proud of his players for his efforts. Some of you need to get a grip.
Considering the dross Jose inherited from his predecessors, I think he’s done an excellent job since his arrival.

City winning 18 of the 19 league games they have played so far will always make it look like the other managers are poor. City are having a freak season - unprecedented in the history of the league.

I am happy with what Jose has achieved so far but he needs to be super ruthless to close the gap between us & City. They have the better crop of players, we have too many deadwood players.

MJJ

Haha you are the one with agenda!
This is them when pep takes that includes-

Delph
KDB - 60 million signing
Fernandinho -

Of these They now have - Fernandinho ,silva, aguero, Raheem sterling, Otamendi, KDB,Komapny (7/11 starting members) with yaya, mangala as bench players.

Who is one with agenda we know now and who is without facts also we know now. Go back to sleep man, you are drunk.
The fact that you have to resort to personal insults says it all, and that too pretty lame ones.

Hart held in the same breath as de gea? You are having a laugh.

Otamendi, managala, bony, navas and sterling were considered as jokes before this season. Read old caf threads if you want to confirm it. Pep has improved the likes of Otamendi, mangala and sterling.

If you want to judge players by price and class them as good signings, why consider the likes of depay and di Maria a failure?

We had two 60m pound wingers(di Maria, Falcao) and a 30m pound wonder kid(depay) when mourinho took over. See the problem of just judging by price?

spiriticon

What striker would you have promoted instead of signing Ibra?
Miki I think can come good, but will be gone before he has a chance to show it
Lindelof, I completely disagree on.
Lukaku, I think will be fine with a #10 that suits his play.
Anyone? Give Wilson a chance? Promote some young 16 year old? Give Martial and Rashford more chances in the middle? Zlatan's only sitting on the bench since Lukaku MUST play every game, and I'm sure a young spritely 16 year old can sit on the bench just as well as Zlatan can.

Mkhi has had 1 and a half years to get his shit together. He's the Armenian Kagawa. we always will be 'waiting for him to come good'.

Lindelof, I just don't rate him much. He's better now than a month or two ago, but he's not a world beater.

I can't really judge Lukaku yet but he's looking more Chicharito than RVN or Cantona.

MJJ

And when jose took over we had one world class player who is a GK. Wingers playing as fullback. Decent Cbs who fans make out like they are world class. No midfield. No strikers. Two young raw attackers aged 20 and 18. Truth is both the teams needed repairing but one team needed their defence fixed and other needed it's attack fixed and any football fan would tell you buying attackers costs you more.

See players out too. Pretty sure most consider Valencia the best fullback in the league or second best at worst. Shaw was the highest rated fullback at 18 and both were much better than former city options. Again, our decent cbs were mile better than city's and martial rashford aren't worse than sane sterling.

AshRK

See players out too. Pretty sure most consider Valencia the best fullback in the league or second best at worst. Shaw was the highest rated fullback at 18 and both were much better than former city options. Again, our decent cbs were mile better than city's and martial rashford aren't worse than sane sterling.
And we had a crap attack which you forgot to add. Which is why I said buying attackers will cost you bomb. I am not saying Jose has done everything right. He should have scouted better alternatives to Perisic and could have been more ruthless but he had to do a major work in fixing our midfield and attack compared to Pep.

dichinero

Delph
KDB - 60 million signing
Fernandinho -

You make it seem like the players we had were bought for peanuts.