Mourinho : "Transfer spend is not enough"

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Morata 12 goals 4 assists- plays for last years champions
Lukaku 14 goals 4 assists - plays for 6 th place team with serious lack of creativity.
If we had morata we would be worse off.
:lol:

Woeful logic. Morata plays for the third placed team and Lukaku plays for the second placed team. And who is better isn't going to be decided based on half a season, obviously, as you conveniently have.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Totally agree though I expect this thread to be high-jacked by the anti Mourinho brigade.
Yeah they do not bother with Guardiola already having second/third best team in the country .Most are so far up guardiola's ass they can taste his tonsils.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I do agree we need to spend even more but we also have to make sure we buy the right profile of players. We need full backs and a cm as a minimum, but... I also think Mourinho need to do better than he has up till now. He has to make this team preform more as a unit.

dichinero

It's a shame we could only fork out for 7.5/8 players that he asked for.

The board is utterly useless.

El Zoido

He’s correct, of course. He’s doing fine for us in terms of fighting for second place - a period of poor form
and people act like we’re in a relegation fight. We’re right where we deserve to be for the money spent but we’re not an elite team.

kps88

We can use the big trophies. And context.
Winning two trophies in your first season sounds pretty good to me in terms of context. Better than winning one on your way out after a bad league season.

amolbhatia50k

City had De Bruyne, Aguero and Silva. Three world class players when Pep arrived. How many outfield world class players did we have?

How many of our attackers would get in any of the other top 6 sides? I’d say none. Jose issue is he hasn’t improved a poor shot shy attack. He just replaced Ibrahimovic with Lukaku from last year.
Sorry, I didn't know football was only played by the best three players you have.

We had a far better defence and goalie than City. Besides, Jose did a good job with his signings that also meant we had a far better better midfield as well.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Our current run of poor form has nothing to do with lack of spending and everything to do with Mourinho abandoning the successful 3-4-1-2 system.
This system changing is what I feel is hindering a working setup. We can't play well in every setup!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Yeah they do not bother with Guardiola already having second/third best team in the country .Most are so far up guardiola's ass they can taste his tonsils.
Ok, I don't go in the many City threads but second or third best?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Over the last 3/4 seasons I doubt anyone has other than City and PSG. Even if City spend more, A) it's possible to counter that through better management/signings than them, and B) either way we shouldn't be 14/15 points behind.
Figured as much.

We shouldn't have to outspend literally every other team to be as successful as we're looking to be. Especially when we've hired someone who is supposed to be one of (if not the) best managers on the planet.

amolbhatia50k

Winning two trophies in your first season sounds pretty good to me in terms of context. Better than winning one on your way out after a bad league season.
It's alright. United's priorities are obviously higher. We did finish 6th as well. The goal will always be to win the big trophies at a place like United. No 6 year plans unless you're David Moyes.

Ace of Spades

He has been backed, needs to stop with his excuses. We have a good squad, with a few areas that we can add some strength in, but he can't expect to buy an entire new squad.

R'hllor

Many will agree with him, already saw comments in match thread like " we need to buy new better players". Here is a thing, when it comes to adding new players, there is a pattern with us, we buy new players and at very start of season they look good/really good, same those people come out then with comments like " you see when you spend properly on proper players" etc. Then how games are passing those players looking worse and worse and merge into same shit we had before they joined.

Its like having a pool filled with cold water and then adding boiling water in it, repeat process every transfer window. Maybe its time we spend on some heaters and warm the water we already have.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So, excuses have started already. Embarassing excuses though, pretty much every player he bought is underperforming, and he is relying on the likes of Lingard and Fellaini, so I have no idea how can he moan about transfers.

CM21

Unless the Board isn't letting him spend more money there's no reason for him to say this in this public :nono: Probably gonna lower player morale too..

Klean

Us having to pay more for players isn't a particularly new revolution. It's always been the case.

We can't match City for spending. We don't have oil. So, he has to be smarter with his spending and work his team a bit harder to scout.
I wasn't trying to imply that this is something new. I was simply highlighting the fact that the thread title caused a huge overreaction because the quotes were taken out of context. If you look at Mourinho's signings all of them have been effective as a whole. Some more than others but as a whole they have made the squad stronger.

Bailly - Our best defender by Far when Fit
Ibra - Carried the team last year and if not for a devestating injury would be doing the same this year
Mkhitaryan - Started the season brilliantly, going through a rough patch in form
Pogba - Finally a top level midfielder to anchor the midfield for years to come

Lindelof - Our best defender right now
Lukaku - Carried us to a hot start this season with his early form
Matic - Our current player of the season.

Even if you say Miki is a bust, 6/7 have drastically improved the team from where it was.

Canagel

It's obviously a message to the board we need quick reinforcements. No other reason for him to come out with this as soon as we hit a rough patch. Just a few months ago he was telling us that this is his 'team' now and he was happy with the board for getting 3 out of the 4 signings he wanted. I'm a little confused and worried with how things are looking at the moment. For the first time in a while I'm debating whether Jose is the man to take us forward. These comments do nothing to change my mind on that.

AshRK

Morata wasn't available?
As much as I like morata, he would not have been effective either considering we hardly have good crossers. The issue is not lukaku like make it to be, it is lack of players who can deliver good crosses.

Bojan11

Sorry, I didn't know football was only played by the best three players you have.

We had a far better defence and goalie than City. Besides, Jose did a good job with his signings that also meant we had a far better better midfield as well.
Far better midfield? They have De Bruyne and Silva. We have nobody close to that level yet. Pogba hasn’t done it as consistently as we would have liked.

What you going on about best players? You want attacking football then you need good attackers. I don’t see Martial and Rashford going from hot and cold to super consistent under another manager.

Mata hasn’t done anything under three managers. Can we really blame Jose for that?

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Moaning about funds having spent over £300m in two summer windows. Not sure he will get too much sympathy for that.

He used to moan about lack of funds in his 1st stint at Chelsea too, think it was in his 3rd season after comfortably outspending everyone else the previous two
Mourinho is the definition of a chequebook manager

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
We weren't in a mess. 5th is not a mess if 4th isn't. Fair enough if you think we had less than City, but there's no chance they had 'great players' and we were 'a mess' is an accurate description. Suits the poor little Jose narrative I suppose.
We werent a mess? we had a fat alchoholic as our main striker, past it players like bastian, midfielders bought playing full backs, highest signing fecking off, players openly leaking to the press.
Most if not all of LVG's signings failed and moyes signings have been better used by mourinho than anyone else.
Depay - shit
Bastian- shit
Schniderlin - shit
Rojo - best under jose last year
ADM- fecked off
Blind- squad player at best
Herrera- one good year under jose
Shaw - Injured always
Fellaini - good under jose
Mata - Decent

That is not mourinho's fault where as city already had a better side by then .

kps88

It's alright. United's priorities are obviously higher. We did finish 6th as well. The goal will always be to win the big trophies at a place like United. No 6 year plans unless you're David Moyes.
Forget six years, Jose can't even get one and a half without people expecting big trophies. We're at the level we should be if you look at the last 3-4 seasons. It's been made to look a lot worse by a freak City team.

ti vu

Quoting signings before Mourinho takeover to compare is misleading. We know for sure plenty of our signings, even SAF's in his last few years ain't helping us. I meant something like RVP was not here when Mourinho took over. RVP did his job for SAF and can be good if Moyes and LVG was not as bad managing as they did. But that kind of signing didn't helped. Kagawa,Zaha too. Basically the ones who left beside DDG is not ideal with Smalling's flaw in style. Jones injury. Valencia and Young peaked and not really that good when it come to final ball. Carrick burned out after years of contribution. Rooney's disaster. He may helped but he was not passed down to us. Then move to Moyes and LVG signings, they were terrible. Mata's quality doesn't fit well with us regardless of managers. I doubt SAF ever considered him. Fellaini contributed for LVG & Mourinho but clearly overpriced at that time, and ironically flopped badly under Moyes. LVG's signings were mostly miss. Even the one who can contribute under Mourinho ain't exactly long stay down the year. And LVG sold players who could contribute in Sinclair level. Basically we spent just to end up square one. LVG can't manage big signings like aDM who in this team can contribute thus wasting our resource.

Mkhi did his job last season and may be sold in near future but we didn't expect much from him. We just paid Zlatan as he was free aganet and the expectation should be reasonable. Other signings under Mourinho can have a good future with us as the potential is there to see and their age is good.

City had the direction to build their team. They mostly replace player like for like and spending expensive fee. We're clearly not afforded with that situation given we seem as if shake the whole house up whenever we change manager.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If a club spent £80m and a club spent £100m, you'd expect the £100m team to do better.

We've spent a lot, not as much as City. They had a better starting point also. We should be the second best team in the league and we are at the moment. That's where I expected us to finish at the beginning of the season, and I still do.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
We weren't in a mess. 5th is not a mess if 4th isn't. Fair enough if you think we had less than City, but there's no chance they had 'great players' and we were 'a mess' is an accurate description. Suits the poor little Jose narrative I suppose.
The revisionism on this site in incredible. I remember season 15/16 on here as if it was yesterday and almost 99% were disillusioned with our football and results that season. Yes, we won the FA Cup, however, similar to our EL cup victory last season, we played a shit team in every round and almost fecking lost to Palace in the final. We were being carried on the backs of a 19 year old for the first half of the season, lost to some unknown team from Scandinavia whose name no one knows how to spell which, incidentally, allowed us to identify another kid to help carry us to the FA Cup final.

I'm guessing you forgot all the games at OT we drew, or failed to score in, or failed to have any shots on goal. Honestly, this site has too many posters with short term memories. We were shite in 13/14, not shite in 14/15, dreadful in 15/16, somewhat shite last season, too. But, the way some people speak about it, you'd think we were a few fixes from becoming world beaters again. Before Mourinho joined, the only thing Manchester United knew how to do was passing the ball sideways or backwards. I'm not even saying that he's transformed us into something great, but what we're seeing now is a HUGE improvement on the shower of shite we witnessed in van Gaals last season.

Insomnia curing, some called us.

Bojan11

Figured as much.

We shouldn't have to outspend literally every other team to be as successful as we're looking to be. Especially when we've hired someone who is supposed to be one of (if not the) best managers on the planet.
And how many times are we going to come across a team that has won 17/18 games? In a normal season we’d probably be 5 points off the top.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Those comments are Moyes or van Gaal-like. Really poor excuses instead of trying to get confidence up and proving he can rise to the challenge.

You shouldn't need 1 billion to play decent football and beat the likes of Burnley or West Brom more often than not in a convincing manner. City signed fullbacks for the price of a striker and we signed a central midfielder for the price of 2 strikers, money is no excuse. Forget the gap to City, the other teams are close to us and play better football and none of them has spend as much as us.
If it wasn't for Atletico's transfer ban we would have signed Griezmann, we wanted Perisic too, he decided to stay and Jose had no Plan B and was happy with what we signed, otherwise we would have outspend City too. He never wanted more than 4 signings anyway, but now he needs another 4 or 5? Seriously Jose get your shit together, panic buys in January for the sake of it will not help us that much either.

Oneunited26

Well we will need a RB, LB, CB, CM, AM, RW, if lukaku continues to buckle under the weight of being a united striker we will need a better striker. Problem with Mourinho's reign? he never cut the head off of the Moyes and VG transfer legacy and started a ruthless aggression with the squad, we still have players from 2010-14, mixed with Moyes and VG signings, so when we still fielding too many of the past few managers players, and the lack of recruitment in crucial positions and making us unbalanced, its a problem

And how many times are we going to come across a team that has won 17/18 games? In a normal season we’d probably be 5 points off the top.
When it was not a crazy city winning streak, it was Leicester winning it, then it was chelsea before, then it was liverpool bottling the league for city, so always someone else it seems.

Ace of Spades

So, excuses have started already. Embarassing excuses though, pretty much every player he bought is underperforming, and he is relying on the likes of Lingard and Fellaini, so I have no idea how can he moan about transfers.
Exactly, the so called 'lack of quality players' in the squad is one thing, but why did we look so limited in our tactics, why did we look like we were coached by Moyes again with the endless crosses??

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Out of that amount of money only pogba, matic, lukaku, baily does the job. The rest is meh.

Di maria. Mata. Scheniderlin. Bfs. Shaw. Darmian. Rojo. Skews our spending but actual contribution is lacking.

Jury is still out on lindelof, mkhi looks like Jose's sin.

Witchking

His 3rd season nonsense has started in his second season itself.

For all his good qualities, if he doesn't win, he becomes an absolute idiot with these kind of comments and criticism of his players.

He himself was very happy with his purchases last season and this season did not get 1 player of his choice.

Sad to complain now when he got a contract extension for zlatan when all can see he is not the same anymore and was not that great last season either.

None of our attacking players have improved under Jose except Jesse.

Martial, Rashford, Mkhi, Mata, Lukaku have all been stagnant.

You can't say that the players aren't giving enough when so many are not playing up to their potential.

Martial is the most talented attacking player and is told to show his defensive qualities instead of honing his attacking skills.

Him and rashford keep getting dropped and subbed off and complete between themselves but Lukaku is kept on, this might just piss players.

Bad management on the whole.

He is a good manager but seems to be very stubborn and seems like he wants to prove that his methods are still relevant instead of trying to change the style a bit.

AshRK

Mourinho like us fans overrated the squad. He thought he could take the best out of rooney, Bastian and thought Memphis, schneiderlin, blind, darmian are.some world.beaters. Rashford and Martial are still In the learning process and Mata, Herrera, young, valencia are just good players and nothing special. How come none of our players cannot deliver one good cross. How come our players lack basic intelligence of reading the game better. Jose must be ruthless simple as that.

Bruce Wayne

These are poor excuses. The effort should be put towards scouting players that fit his vision. There are plenty of players that should fit the current missing gaps without 10x premium price.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Thankfully, he's now accepted being one as well.

Now the board need to decide if that's what they thought as well and if they're ok to sign a few more huge cheques.
Tbf, Man United is one of the few clubs who can sustain a chequebook manager, and where it kind of fits the profile.
And there's no denying Mourinho has been reasonably successful so far at Utd, with the EL win being a pretty respectable and big achievement in his first season.
The problem is, Pep is at their city rivals who is equally successful as a chequebook manager, yet at the same time more successful as a coach.
So therefore Utd are 'only' 2nd.