Mourinho : "Transfer spend is not enough"

Klean

Anyone? Give Wilson a chance? Promote some young 16 year old? Give Martial and Rashford more chances in the middle? Zlatan's only sitting on the bench since Lukaku MUST play every game, and I'm sure a young spritely 16 year old can sit on the bench just as well as Zlatan can.

Mkhi has had 1 and a half years to get his shit together. He's the Armenian Kagawa. we always will be 'waiting for him to come good'.

Lindelof, I just don't rate him much. He's better now than a month or two ago, but he's not a world beater.

I can't really judge Lukaku yet but he's looking more Chicharito than RVN or Cantona.
Wilson was injured and came back from an ACL injury in late August. He is basically where Zlatan was the whole time, but since he is younger they brought him along more slowly. My point was there wasn't necessarily better options available that were free. Miki and Lindelof we could debate to the end of time. After losses this place turns into a pit of vitriol where people just overreaction. I say for certain that I enjoy watching United play in most games this year and much more so than years past.

Like Mourinho said in his post game interview, we created 15 chances the last 2 games. That in previous seasons was the amount we would see in a month. I just hope we stay patient and add another piece or two in January to help the team kick on.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I disagree. Granted he was completely out of his depth, he wasn't there long enough to have a lasting effect. The recruitment since his department has been awful.

Listening to Jose, it sounds like he isn't up for the challenge at this point in his career. Perhaps a young Jose moving from European champions Porto would have a more fighting spirit than the one we're seeing.

I dread to think what would happen if he decides to leave for Paris this summer. Ibra effectively on the way out, two fullbacks also coming towards the end of their career, and a sever lack of quality wingers.
Its not what he did when he was here, its the fact that he was the wrong hire, which resulted in us buying the wrong players, not making the CL, and losing generally losing momentum as a club, which resulted in more poor knock on decisions of hiring LvG, bringing in yet more players who he wanted, only to be set back yet again. The Mourinho hire should've happened in 2014 but didn't for silly reasons which were later reversed. Changing managers every couple of years is just not good for us because the ensuing starting and stopping of tactics, management, transfers, team ethos etc results in the sort of uninspiring performances we have seen of late.

SuperiorXI

He needs to shut up and concentrate. He has a lot of work to do and the challenge is huge but it is one you have to face if you're a great manager.

SAF always used to say you can never shy away from a challenge like Chelsea, Blackburn, City etc, you have to welcome it. Jose sounds like he's half-way packed his bags.

If he really does give up then he goes way down in my estimation.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
And De Bruyne was not good enough for who again ?
It's not the scouting or the lack of spending that is affecting our lack of attracting football ..
The problem is the coach, the sooner we stop associating these far fetch situations to this, the better.
No it is absolutely the scouting and lack of a DoF. This club has not modernised itself in any way.

BluesJr

Lack of structure (coaching, scouting, youth) and clear identity of the right players to fit the style we want has been our problem even since SAF.

gulli_G

He always calculates his quotes, he wants some good money in January and knows the glazers current budget, he is trying pressure them.

Minimalist

Might not be. Some of us still question how he’s using the players at his disposal.

Let’s not be funny about it. Even if Mourinho is replaced - somebody else will be spending more money.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
No excuses really for Mourinho. Anyone who can defend his comments has a screw loose. End of.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Well two thirds of that was on two players pretty much. Pogba has been great, and Lukaku I have faith will become even better, but the fact the leftover 100m hasn't got our shitty squad challenging City shouldn't come as much of a surprise. In truth, that kind of money doesn't buy you much these days. They've raised the bar, and I genuinely believe we've done well to find ourselves second. I think people have short memories.

IRELANDUNITED

Might not be. Some of us still question how he’s using the players at his disposal.

Let’s not be funny about it. Even if Mourinho is replaced - somebody else will be spending more money.
We've got 4 left backs but we're playing a 32 year old winger there most of the time so he's probably right, we need to spend more

(that wasn't a dig as Ashley btw, he's been outstanding and no united fan will say otherwise)

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Lack of structure (coaching, scouting, youth) and clear identity of the right players to fit the style we want has been our problem even since SAF.
I imagine winning is most important to him considering the state of us when he joined. Heu e's had 1.5/2~ years to implement a structure and style. Not fully convinced he has. If he won't, the club needs to. We need to look after our future, not just the next season or two.

Minimalist

We've got 4 left backs but we're playing a 32 year old winger there most of the time so he's probably right, we need to spend more

(that wasn't a dig as Ashley btw, he's been outstanding and no united fan will say otherwise)
We quite desperately need a DOF. Doesn’t appear like Woodward can do that role. Mourinho even at his best performance was never staying long either. Daft we don’t have someone looking after the long term vision of the playing staff.

BluesJr

I imagine winning is most important to him considering the state of us when he joined. Heu e's had 1.5/2~ years to implement a structure and style. Not fully convinced he has. If he won't, the club needs to. We need to look after our future, not just the next season or two.
Well that is my point, we as a club had to do this when we were on top, in 2008. Did we? No, we sold our best player and have never come close to reaching those heights again. We never had a chance against Barcelona in 2011 despite making the final.

MrBest

He has not bought well in his 3 windows and has spent a lot! The only player worth mention from the dross he bought is pogba and yet he has hardly been consistent and a world beater. Pep has bought some really good players in his time and they have delievered. Jose has an excuse for everything but I think his style is just out of date and teams know how to play against him. He also does not create the best environment for his players who have been through emotional yoyos.
I'm fed up of Jose, i would keep him till the end of the year but I really want our next manager to be poch. Good attacking football, good youth policy and with an extra budget could do wonders.

Bojan11

Didn’t he say last year he was expecting a title challenge and he got all his transfer targets.
And any other season we’d be having a title challenge. When a team wins 17/18 games it’s going to be hard to stop.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Was a problem under SAF but he was able to mask the issues better. Director of Football probably isn’t such a bad idea as some seem to think it is.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's more than enough to challenge and play great attacking football.
Bottom line, ain't it?

Give the manager, whoever he is, time. That's my stance and has been ever since Fergie retired. Let him build a team according to his standards and methods.

No problem. Patience is my middle name compared to certain posters on here.

But the moment you even suggestively use “lack of funds” as an excuse for not challenging properly, not playing cohesive attacking football, not having a squad versatile or big enough to compensate for central players being injured – well, that's when I call bollocks.

The Glazers have done a lot of things. Depending on who you ask, they've done a lot of bad things too (essentially stopped funding what was more of a “family club” prior to the takeover) – but they certainly haven't been stingy with the transfer budget as such post Fergie. Nobody can claim that. There are posters on here who seem to peddle the idea that we simply can't compete with City anymore, because they've spent X millions more than we have on players – and feckknowswhat on full backs, not least – making the task essentially impossible even for the person still hailed (by those posters) as the greatest manager in the world.

The greatest manager in the world doesn't need to outspend his rivals. The actual greatest manager in the world did not outspend his rivals when push came to shove.

You don't need money to organize an attack. You need extreme amounts of money to “build” a side capable of beating anyone if you don't know how to drill attacking moves – that's the plain truth of the matter.

Skills

Snitch
Probably not. He needed to outspend Fergie by 300m last time to win 12 years ago, might need a few billion this time taking inflation into account.

BluesJr

Was a problem under SAF but he was able to mask the issues better. Director of Football probably isn’t such a bad idea as some seem to think it is.
It's literally the only way we'll get to the top again, I'd be willing to put a lot of money on that.

liamp

And De Bruyne was not good enough for who again ?
It's not the scouting or the lack of spending that is affecting our lack of attracting football ..
The problem is the coach, the sooner we stop associating these far fetch situations to this, the better.
No it is absolutely the scouting and lack of a DoF. This club has not modernised itself in any way.
Probably a combination of all the factors that both of you mentioned. I would imagine the scouting's been a problem but it's hard to really discern how much at this club. There's no way to tell how much of the waste when it comes to transfers has come down to lack of proper scouting and how much of it has come down to Moyes/LVG/Mourinho not going with recommendations from scouts.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
And whose fault is that? Mourinho has spent near £300m which is more than enough money. Target your players smarter/with a tighter budget, or let more players go to free funds for what you need.

Guardiola was super pragmatic and axed everyone he didn't need. That freed up the space and wage-budgets - Mourinho hasn't done that at all.

Yeah, sell all the sqaud players but then replace them with what transfer budget He has had enough transfer budget for 7 incoming players, I'm not sure how he can buy any more players by getting a few quid for selling Blind, Fellaini and others.

Fact is we are 2nd biggest spender (way behind biggest spender) since last 5 years and right now weare 2nd in the league (way behind biggest spender). Is that a coincident?

ash_86

All we have been doing is hiring a manager, buying new players and sacking the manager. Let's stick with this guy and get him what he wants. Whichever player we're going after would cost 25% more because of United tax. So burning 300M is not that difficult for a club like United.

willowisp

I don't think we have a responsibility to win the league every season these days. If he is under pressure to win the league after last season then the board need their heads read. He is correct 300 is very little in the current marker but his signings haven't been terribly successful.

Mata should never be dropped-he's one of the only world class players we have. Trouble is: who does he really want to sign?

There were terrific players who didn't want to come, and those who went for less than Mikitaryan. I'd tell him top 4 is good enough this season and then compete for the title next. Maybe that's good enough for us but not for him. Maybe he should have see the utd dream as a longer term project. Maybe he should take a leaf out of Klopp's book and stop gurning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Part of me hopes he gets zero spending money to teach him a lesson

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
We’ve just spent better over the last 3 years, and it’s expensive to catch up. He can moan about fullbacks but you have a £30m left back who can’t even get a game. Walker for £50m as an end product is what you spend £30m on for potential to become. I don’t see the difference.

City spend loads but so do United, and I find it laughable THAT is his latest excuse. Great manager, but embarrassing at times.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
All we have been doing is hiring a manager, buying new players and sacking the manager. Let's stick with this guy and get him what he wants. Whichever player we're going after would cost 25% more because of United tax. So burning 300M is not that difficult for a club like United.
But this manager has never stayed anywhere and has never built a squad. So why stick with a manager who is known for short term success if he is not bringing short term success.

Minimalist

Said in the other thread lack of a DOF is almost criminal given the type of manager we’ve been hiring (aside from 7 years Moyes).

AshRK

We’ve just spent better over the last 3 years, and it’s expensive to catch up. He can moan about fullbacks but you have a £30m left back who can’t even get a game. Walker for £50m as an end product is what you spend £30m on for potential to become. I don’t see the difference.

City spend loads but so do United, and I find it laughable THAT is his latest excuse. Great manager, but embarrassing at times.
He has got 7 players since he took over whilst pep 13 or 14. There lies the difference. Pep needed to fix the defence whilst Jose had to fix attack and midfield and we all can admit buying attackers costs you more.

The one blame I will give Jose is he has not been ruthless like pep has been. That's why pep and city are 1 and we are 2nd.

Footyislife

The difference is City has a smart board that has a clear strategy buying players & hiring managers. Seems like we have idiots running the place trying to find solutions with 0 knowledge of football and incredibly short term vision.

We've wasted 205m on: Di Maria, Memphis, Schneiderlin, Fellaini, Darmian, Mkhi, Blind, BFS. Only managed to recoup 84m of that.

Then we've overpayed 290m for average players like Lukaku, Herrera, Shaw, Martial, Mata, Rojo, Matic, and Lindelof.

We bought 2 talented players for 120m in Pogba, Bailly. Jury's still out on both whether they will transform into consistent world class players.

In that time we've not really developed anyone except our goalkeeper because of how much we sucked. Martial would be the next closest and he's still not a reliable starter. Rashford & Lingard are work in progress.

As far as managers go we hired 1 manager who had no idea what he was doing at a top club. 1 who had a clear idea, but was stubborn, did't adapt, and refused to play attacking football. Then we panic and hire the best name available but he doesn't really do attacking football or develop youth well which are core parts of our philosophy.

Looking at the big picture not very impressive management of a team. That is if we have people on top who care about winning rather than just making money...

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
No it isn’t. Not when the team directly above you has spent more, despite having a much better team in the first place. This seems to be continuously ignored.