Mourinho : "Transfer spend is not enough"

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Seriously, though. How are City and PSG able to spend whatever they want like that? Is FFP just completely defunct now? While I think it's ironic that the manager of the richest club in the world is monaning about not being able to spend more, he's got a point about City and PSG.

Theonas

Scout
Seriously, though. How are City and PSG able to spend whatever they want like that? Is FFP just completely defunct now? While I think it's ironic that the manager of the richest club in the world is monaning about not being able to spend more, he's got a point about City and PSG.
Seeing PSG do to Barcelona what the Spanish clubs have been doing to everyone else the past decade made it all worth it for me. Not that we or any other big club is any different to the Spanish ones when it comes to bullying their way against the smaller fish.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
brown envelopes and suspicious partnerships means they can get around it 'legally' through loopholes in the system.

that said, chelsea fans shouldn't really talk. they began this sugar daddy funded era of market prices and making mediocre clubs into powerhouse teams.

Greck

"I think money makes a difference, but I ask you please never misinterpret my words against my club or say that my club doesn't support me or my club doesn't want to spend because my club spends.

ESPN
Hopefully we can put this to bed. He never said we don't back him or don't spend. He just said we need to spend even more. Why were some fans so quick to turn on their own club over this?

Dobbs

Hopefully we can put this to bed. He never said we don't back him or don't spend. He just said we need to spend even more. Why were some fans so quick to turn on their own club over this?
Same reason they turned on the players last season when Jose started talking about injuries.

Red_toad

It a minefield of a discussion for him.

No we can't sign six players at once for £100 million each but them nobody else does either.

Getting a Carrick replacement won't upgrade the squad? Come on.

Lindelof doesn't count because Rojo was injured for the opening few months? Do no other clubs get injuries? One of the three fullbacks he mentioned City signing has been injured for majority of the season.

If he doesn't produce the goods all this stuff will sound pretty tragic.
No PSG just go out and buy 2 for 300 million plus, probably not far off 400 million once it's all done.

Red_toad

Because he won't sell, Young, Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Carrick, Fellaini, Rojo, Fellaini, Mikhi, Rashford, Jesse, Lakuku, Mata and Herrera and use the funds to erect a statue of Martial. Then buy a full team aside from Martial, who will play as main striker in every game (even when injured). Football will be played at the most trendy style possible at that moment in time, we'll never conced a goal, lose nor lord damn it draw.
Oh and let's not forget he has to be humble and polite to every reporter he encounters, whilst freely discussing our transfer plans with them and massage everyone of our players ego's and give them a hug just to make them happy, That'll make the masses supporting him and the team.

Greck

Because he won't sell, Young, Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Carrick, Fellaini, Rojo, Fellaini, Mikhi, Rashford, Jesse, Lakuku, Mata and Herrera and use the funds to erect a statue of Martial. Then buy a full team aside from Martial, who will play as main striker in every game (even when injured). Football will be played at the most trendy style possible at that moment in time, we'll never conced a goal, lose nor lord damn it draw.
Oh and let's not forget he has to be humble and polite to every reporter he encounters, whilst freely discussing our transfer plans with them and massage everyone of our players ego's and give them a hug just to make them happy, That'll make the masses supporting him and the team.
Off base. Was referring to the Mourinho overenthusiasts who threw the club and board under the bus over a quote they misinterpreted. Ie that we don't back him. You sure you're not one of them?

Fluctuation0161

Sky actually put United with net spend more than City for 2017. Spurs and Arsenal need a clear spending shift to compete with City, Chelsea and United in the medium-term.

Net spend is not a good metric to use here. The City 2017 net spend is as good as irrelevant because they sold players in 2017 at a fraction of the price they paid for them in recent years! So it is countered by the massive overspending they've done in the years previous.

Take Bony who they bought for £33m (sold for £13m), Nolito bought for £18m (sold for £7m) and even Nasri bought for £33m (sold for £3.5m) as examples.

Andersons Dietician

No Indeed I can, and have done repeatedly. Yet no matter how many times your illogical inconsistencies are rebuffed it’s returned with staunch, baseless criticisms of one of the most successful managers in the history of the game. I will however apologise for the overzealous insults, no matter how nonsensical I find your point of view, you don’t deserve that level of vitriol. Sorry for that. Let’s go through step by step some of the points put forward by you and others shall we?

We should look to Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea on how to play attacking football. They have scored less goals than we have this season. Categorically and emphatically they HAVE NOT attacked better than we have so far this season. The purpose of attacking is to score goals. We have scored more goals therefore we have attacked better. There is no arguing that.

Those aforementioned teams all finished above us last season.
Correct. And now they are below us because we have improved under Mourinho. How this is seen as a valid criticism of Jose is beyond me.

Because we have outspent them. Correct. Jose has also spent far less than Pep, despite having an inferior team than he to begin with. You can’t cherry pick when expenditure is important and when it isn’t.

LVG finished higher the season before Jose took over.
We were never winning the league last season. Our objective was to get back into the champions league. It (should be) entirely obvious Jose prioritised the europa cup over finishing top 4. Jose chose the route that came with a trophy and a higher seeding. Again no genuine criticisms can me made here.

We have the most expensively assembled team in the league.
That doesn’t mean it’s the best. Prior to Jose’s arrival, even after his first season, it was the popular opinion here to think City, Spurs and Chelsea had a better team than we did. If they had a better team, then why would the cost of the squad prior to Jose’s arrival be levied against how the team has performed under him? A month or two ago we were being told how amazing Spurs are. They had a better team and a better manager than we did. Surely it must be a masterstroke for Jose to be sitting above them in the league then?

We are Manchester United. We shouldn’t be happy with second place.

No one is happy with us finishing behind City, but, in the words of The Bloody Nine, you have to be realistic about these things. Our squad was a state and we had 4 managers in the space of 3 years, all with a different approach and player profile for how they wanted to play. We are seeing steady improvement since his appointment. We are winning trophies, back in the Champions League, signing talent, scoring more goals, conceding less and are on course to finishing higher in the league. If our progression does stagnate then perhaps some of these criticisms would be justified, but for now, why don’t we let him do his job?
Decent effort but pretty much all of it can be refuted quite easily with what people actually watch on the pitch. All it looks like you care about is numbers and not people actually understanding how football is played. The guy speaking about other teams attacks is perfectly reasonable. Because those teams know ho to build up attacks consistently and create openings. Just because we have scored more goals does not make us a good attacking team.

Dobbs

No PSG just go out and buy 2 for 300 million plus, probably not far off 400 million once it's all done.
So as I said, nobody does spend £600 million at once. An odd non truth to bring up. As was claiming City sold two fullbacks and signed three. They actually sold four. The exact opposite of the point Jose is trying to make.

Questionable if he should still be discussing this stuff but if he's determined to do so its got to be factual at least.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
His latest comments on transfer spending are fairly damning on our chances of competing with City over the next few years, although nothing that hasn't become obvious.

The concern is how long Mourinho is likely to stick around when fighting what he sees as a losing battle. I'd guess not long.

On the net spend thing it all gets a bit (even more) irrelevant once free transfers, retirements etc come into it. For example City are expected to get Sanchez on a free this Summer, for us to buy an equivalent quality player will cost us £100m+.

A team could sign Sanchez, Ozil, Goretzka, Fellaini and Barkley this summer and have zero net spend.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It has to do with worries about whether or not they are up for it, have a clear vision and strategy and serious ambitions. I know Jose has ambitions, that hire by the board was thereby in itself a positive indicator of ambition. I very much doubt Jose would fancy waiting for incremental progress over years and years.
Similarly, does this change anything for those who used his comments to trash him?

Red_toad

Off base. Was referring to the Mourinho overenthusiasts who threw the club and board under the bus over a quote they misinterpreted. Ie that we don't back him. You sure you're not one of them?
Certainly not a fan of the board, only City and PSG fans should love their owners, as they're certainly not in it to make a buck. Love the club and have so for longer than a lot of posters on here have been alive. As with Sir Alex in his early days, the club stood by him. We've now got fans calling for Jose' head after winning trophies and being the second best team in the league. Club needs a period of stability, otherwise we'll be starting yet another building process.

vamos_nadal

Supports
Liverpool
His latest comments on transfer spending are fairly damning on our chances of competing with City over the next few years, although nothing that hasn't become obvious.

The concern is how long Mourinho is likely to stick around when fighting what he sees as a losing battle. I'd guess not long.

On the net spend thing it all gets a bit (even more) irrelevant once free transfers, retirements etc come into it. For example City are expected to get Sanchez on a free this Summer, for us to buy an equivalent quality player will cost us £100m+.

A team could sign Sanchez, Ozil, Goretzka, Fellaini and Barkley this summer and have zero net spend.
Its interesting to see how long Mourinho will be at United. He has never been a long term manager; I always thought United would be the one where he would stick around for 5-10 years, but I'm not sure if his angst-filled diatribes are conducive to a long-term role at a club.

A big reason why he's spoken about the transfer fees etc of late is because I think he is a born and bred winner, and this is the second time in his career he is, with respect, being shown up by Pep, no matter what way you dress it up. To be a world-class manager, at some point, you have to be arrogant, and I think his pride is wounded (the guy has every right to be confident and even arrogant given his trophy haul to be fair!).

On your second point, I think net-spend is useful to look at, but yes, when comparing managers, its gross what should be looked at more so than net. Historically, there has been more of a stronger correlation between wage bills and success rather than transfers anyway.

Litch

The issue for me is fundamentally Jose divided opinions about whether he was the right appointment and anything that followed was going to be tainted by the same people. Does not matter what he achieves in his time here, there will be people that he'll never win other but that's just football. Jose in any other season would be winning the league this year but it ain't any other season. I feel the downturn in performances is we are basically in Dec only playing for a CL place next season and that's a major kick in the balls to any footballer, especially when the team running away with it are your city rivals. Whatever we do bar winnings the CL, is going to be outshone by City, and that's absolutely perfect for the media who for years have been waiting for this moment. It's a win/win for them as Jose comes with the package.

TrueRed79

This is the result of The Glazer family. Get them and the massive leeching of the club that they have done out of here, and hopefully someone with half a vision will take over and put us on the right path again. Mourinho can only do so much. He's literally trying to fix the failures since Ferguson left. No succession plan, no vision, all about $$ since Ferguson retired. Four years of awful recruitment and wasted money. All transfers have to be ok'd by them in Florida. Literally didn't get Perisic over a measly £5M. Richest club in the world? You then have a banker in control in the UK, literally spewing tripe on MUTV about us being able to do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of. It's embarrassing and so are our fans, posting gifs of Woodward like he's some kind of hero. We are on a very slippery slope where we will turn into Arsenal in a short space of time. Can't see us falling to Liverpools level in terms of years without a title, but it will be close enough if they don't f off. Sorry, half ranting but it's true.

Greck

It has to do with worries about whether or not they are up for it, have a clear vision and strategy and serious ambitions. I know Jose has ambitions, that hire by the board was thereby in itself a positive indicator of ambition. I very much doubt Jose would fancy waiting for incremental progress over years and years.
Similarly, does this change anything for those who used his comments to trash him?
Don't see why not. Two sides of the same coin

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Decent effort but pretty much all of it can be refuted quite easily with what people actually watch on the pitch. All it looks like you care about is numbers and not people actually understanding how football is played. The guy speaking about other teams attacks is perfectly reasonable. Because those teams know ho to build up attacks consistently and create openings. Just because we have scored more goals does not make us a good attacking team.
Yes I do care about numbers. Do you know who wins the league? The team with the highest point total. Do you know who wins a match? The team with the highest goal total. That's literally all that matters.
Can your eyes see our team scoring more goals than our nearest rivals? That's literally all that matters. You can bring your preconceived predjudices all you like, you have nothing to validate them. That's all they are. We are shit in attack apparently. What the feck does it make our rivals? Apparently we simply park the bus. They must be parking the blimp to underscore us. When you have
more to substantiate your claim let me know. It's incredible how posters like you ignore the most basic of fact to support your baseless opinion.

To say 'I do not like how Mourinho plays is fine. To try and wilfully ignore the obvious just makes you seem petty.

Dobbs

They must be dump if they can't outscore a disfunctioning mess that Jose has produced. At some point you've got to realise your predjudices don't add up. You can predetermine what happens all you like but when it doesn't add up you've got to question your bias. I'm sorry but preconceived notions do not equate realism. I see our team scoring more goals than those aforementioned teams. Guess what? We have outscored those aforementioned teams. You need a dose of reality me thinks.

It's fairly simple how football is played mate. The team with the most goals wins the match. The team with the most points finishes higher in the league. We score more goals than our rivals, let in less and win more points. No matter how many criticisms you throw at the team or exaggerated praise at our rivals isn't going to change that. The reason for attacking is to score goals. Scoring more goals is a reflection of this. I'm astonished you are trying to vindicate your own preconceived opinions without any factisl evidence whatsoever. You know what my eyes see? Our team scoring more goals than our rivals. Give it a bloody rest.
Sterling has scored more than Aguero, Lukaku, Jesus, Lacazette, Morata and Sanchez.

So your logic tells us he's a better goalscorer than all those players right? He has to be. My eyes see him scoring more.

Or could it be that in football you can at certain moments in time do more of something(like score goals) and still be inferior in that department to others?

Exhale Beats

Supports
Tottenham
This... Stats show we have good finishers but when you watch the games this season, we clearly don't look like a great side going forward when it comes to creativity.
Yes I do care about numbers. Do you know who wins the league? The team with the highest point total. Do you know who wins a match? The team with the highest goal total. That's literally all that matters.
Can your eyes see our team scoring more goals than our nearest rivals? That's literally all that matters. You can bring your preconceived predjudices all you like, you have nothing to validate them. That's all they are. We are shit in attack apparently. What the feck does it make our rivals? Apparently we simply park the bus. They must be parking the blimp to underscore us. When you have
more to substantiate your claim let me know. It's incredible how posters like you ignore the most basic of fact to support your baseless opinion.

To say 'I do not like how Mourinho plays is fine. To try and wilfully ignore the obvious just makes you seem petty.
There more to football than just winning the league. And You say we have the 2nd best attack because we score the most but scoring goals is only part of an attack. For example, if we average only 5 chances a game( Struggling to create more) for the rest of the season but Lukaku scores 2 goals every game does that mean we play better football than a side that average 12 chances a game, withe better opening but are just not hitting the back of the net often?

Last edited:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
This is the result of The Glazer family. Get them and the massive leeching of the club that they have done out of here, and hopefully someone with half a vision will take over and put us on the right path again. Mourinho can only do so much. He's literally trying to fix the failures since Ferguson left. No succession plan, no vision, all about $$ since Ferguson retired. Four years of awful recruitment and wasted money. All transfers have to be ok'd by them in Florida. Literally didn't get Perisic over a measly £5M. Richest club in the world? You then have a banker in control in the UK, literally spewing tripe on MUTV about us being able to do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of. It's embarrassing and so are our fans, posting gifs of Woodward like he's some kind of hero. We are on a very slippery slope where we will turn into Arsenal in a short space of time. Can't see us falling to Liverpools level in terms of years without a title, but it will be close enough if they don't f off. Sorry, half ranting but it's true.
God be with the days of being a PLC eh?

redpatron

lol At people blaming the glazers. Last I check they got rid of moyes, got rid of lvg, signed Jose. Gave Managers the green light to sign players with the a ridiculous budget.

Manchester United stock is at a all time high, we are financially stable for the next ten years. It’s not their fault none of them can get in the managers box or on the pitch to play the wing.

We have to wait and see if city can keep up the spending, happens to a lot of American teams. Owners spend a ton of money, win some trophies and sell the team for a huge profit, leaving the new owners with a financial nightmare i.e. Miami Marlins, Florida Marlins, LA dodgers.

SwSw

Its not all about stats, which I am sure even you can recognise. some of his numbers have gone up. So what? many of these contributions were from off the bench which may suggest he isn't as good a player as before Jose arrived. From starting matches, he has contributed a goal or assist in 5 games out of 17 starts. We don't need a supersub, we need the superstar in the making who terrorised all defences rotten.
You have said he is getting into better positions and defensive work has gone up. You must be basing the "gotten into better positions" bit on how you feel, since I know of few metric ways of measuring this.
C'mon. Do you honestly believe Martial has regressed?

His first season, the ball was normally played to his feet and he does something with it. Now, i prefer his off the ball movement. Arsenal comes to mind when he receive that pass from Lukaku and flicked it for the on rushing Lingard.

He is maturing and another year or two he will be that superstar. I'm sure even you can recognize that.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I think it's too easy to forget that football is the plaything of some of the most corrupt people on the planet. Russian mobsters, middle east oil tyrants, American suits, governing bodies openly flaunting their price tags. And then there's Murdoch.

We swim in an ocean of sh#t without a visible shore. Jose is complaining about the funny smell?

Emptihead

Supports
Manchester City
Just read the Mourinho press conference and I am shocked that he is saying it will be difficult even next year. That's not the winning Mourinho that won trophies and was always confident. Seems to have lost that mentally somewhere. I understand it is about saying you need more financial backing, but you can do that in a way that doesn't seem like you are seemingly throwing in the towel for next season.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but if he buys 3 players next summer like he said wouldn't that be 10 Mourinho signings? I mean you already had the best goal keeper in the world so think that should be enough to build a very solid side that can compete even if the players who came before are just squad players at best.
Never liked Mourinho, but always respected him and especially his results. Not sure if we will see the best of Mourinho again. Not saying to replace him. Really don't know of many coaches who would be better. But maybe it is time to think about if it is best to keep a manager another year when he doesn't think he can compete. Especially when it will be most likely his last year anyway.

haram

We might just have to accept that we will never have the same amount of spending power as PSG,City and Real.Whether that will make us competitive and win league titles and Champions leagues who knows.
We can compete. We just have to be patient and build our squad slower than them. For example we couldn't get rid of all of our fullbacks and replace them like Pep did, but we will probably sign one this summer, and get rid of a couple (I'm guessing Blind & Darmian).

Axkiko

I read the latest comment from Mourinho said there would be 2-3 players changes in summer. First thought is the club don’t think Mourinho is the guy to turn it around, he is not the guy who can challenge City next few years. Financially United can do more but it seems the board don’t have faith on him. Make slightly changes but not invest a lot of Mourinho approaches.

RooneyLegend

So the club was willing to sanction round about 200 million in transfer funds this past summer and you don't think its something that most clubs can only dream off?

How can you not see how he's partly to blame, why didn't he sanction the sale of Blind to get that 5 million for example?

shaky

Just read the Mourinho press conference and I am shocked that he is saying it will be difficult even next year. That's not the winning Mourinho that won trophies and was always confident. Seems to have lost that mentally somewhere. I understand it is about saying you need more financial backing, but you can do that in a way that doesn't seem like you are seemingly throwing in the towel for next season.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but if he buys 3 players next summer like he said wouldn't that be 10 Mourinho signings? I mean you already had the best goal keeper in the world so think that should be enough to build a very solid side that can compete even if the players who came before are just squad players at best.
Never liked Mourinho, but always respected him and especially his results. Not sure if we will see the best of Mourinho again. Not saying to replace him. Really don't know of many coaches who would be better. But maybe it is time to think about if it is best to keep a manager another year when he doesn't think he can compete. Especially when it will be most likely his last year anyway.
What a nonsense attempt at stirring up something out of nothing. He said it will be difficult. he didn't say it can't be done. What's wrong with that? Has any manager in the history of football ever come out and said the following season will be easy?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What a nonsense attempt at stirring up something out of nothing. He said it will be difficult. he didn't say it can't be done. What's wrong with that? Has any manager in the history of football ever come out and said the following season will be easy?
May be that's why he is called "empty head"

wldnjs

Supports
Man City
It makes me laugh how easily opinions change, In this case, to justify Mourinho's comments and this idea of how Pep inherited much better players.

You only have to go back about 3 weeks to the derby. United fans were picking 2-3 City players in their combined XIs, maybe 4 if they were being generous.

Now all of a sudden, with a 15 point gap between 1st and 2nd, the best attacking and defensive records in the league, City's squad is so much better and Mourinho is doing the best with what he has got.
I'm all for having differing opinions in football because that's what makes it so entertaining but it makes me sick how people were shitting on City's squad from the beginning of the season and now they're just that much better than United's players.
Hindsight is a beautiful thing aint it

Last edited by a moderator:

Andersons Dietician

So what you’re saying is that all you care about is getting a title at the end of the season. Do you watch our games or just look for the result later?

Also I think you’ll find a lot of the people questioning this team seem to have a lot more understanding and merit than most of the Josets.
Most people can watch and understand a game and see what is happening on the pitch. The fact our team does not seem to be able to link 3 passes together, or work space for one another or even defend that well and the fact that is consistent problem over Jose’s entire reign shows a real lack of development.

If we had scored 42 penalties this season would you say that is good attacking Just because of the goal tally?

The problem is your concept that the tally is all that matters or is the sign of quality in attack or defence. However you have many fans, pundits, ex players all pointing out the flaws yet you ignore it.

It’s just narrow minded people looking at a very broad subject.

Last edited:

Kapardin

It makes me laugh how easily opinions change, In this case, to justify Mourinho's comments and this idea of how Pep inherited much better players.

You only have to go back about 3 weeks to the derby. United fans were picking 2-3 City players in their combined XIs, maybe 4 if they were being generous.

Now all of a sudden, with a 15 point gap between 1st and 2nd, the best attacking and defensive records in the league, City's squad is so much better and Mourinho is doing the best with what he has got.
I'm all for having differing opinions in football because that's what makes it so entertaining but it makes me sick how people were shitting on City's squad from the beginning of the season and now they're just that much better than United's players.
Beginning of the season, everyone was predicting City to win the league, if not in as dominant a manner as they are now doing so. Nobody ever claimed United had a better squad than City, even last season when City suffered some hilarious defeats.

Seriously, take a look at our FBs, #10s and wingers and tell us with a straight face that our squad is on par with City.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
I initially thought it was a one off frustrated comment from Jose but yesterday's quotes after the embargo suggests that now he's fully bought into the idea that the only reason his team has fallen behind City is the money invested in each club.

wldnjs

Supports
Man City
Beginning of the season, everyone was predicting City to win the league, if not in as dominant a manner as they are now doing so. Nobody ever claimed United had a better squad than City, even last season when City suffered some hilarious defeats.

Seriously, take a look at our FBs, #10s and wingers and tell us with a straight face that our squad is on par with City.
Oh I've seen plenty of United fans say something along the lines of:
Rashford>Sterling
Martial>Sane
Bailly>Stones
Pogba>De Bruyne
Valencia>Walker
Young>Mendy
Matic>Fernandinho
Lukaku>Jesus
Mkhi>Silva
City's defense is weak, Silva and KDB in center midfield won't work, not physical enough

But now that City are playing more than well and United are struggling, the narrative has changed to Pep inherited a better squad not to mention spending quite a lot of money (which he spent very well by the way)
I'm not saying you are wrong in that your team needs better players but the hypocrisy is what bothers me.

Varun

Staff
Rashford>Sterling
Martial>Sane
Bailly>Stones
Pogba>De Bruyne
Valencia>Walker
Young>Mendy
Matic>Fernandinho
Lukaku>Jesus
Mkhi>Silva
City's defense is weak, Silva and KDB in center midfield won't work, not physical enough

But now that City are playing more than well and United are struggling, the narrative has changed to Pep inherited a better squad not to mention spending quite a lot of money (which he spent very well by the way)
I'm not saying you are wrong in that your team needs better players but the hypocrisy is what bothers me.

If it bothers you so much and makes you sick, why are you here? If anything on a forum affected me this way, I'd stay well away. In any case, continue this tone and we'll take care of it for you.

edgar allan

Rashford>Sterling
Martial>Sane
Bailly>Stones
Pogba>De Bruyne
Valencia>Walker
Young>Mendy
Matic>Fernandinho
Lukaku>Jesus
Mkhi>Silva

Alot of truth in that post, Pep has an established style of play that suits the team and all the players perform well in. The players are encouraged to be positive and creative and unsurprisingly the look the better players for it.
He has identified his squads limitations and bought well to address this. We spent 40 million on another centre half and then didn't even play him.

We do need improvements in the quality of the players in key areas but we really need a manager that can get the best out of players.

Exhale Beats

Supports
Tottenham
I'

Man City are getting the best out of their squad and we're not, it's as simple as that. But anyways, when did everyone say they think Man City where going to win the league before the season started?

Kapardin

I'
Man City are getting the best out of their squad and we're not, it's as simple as that. But anyways, when did everyone say they think Man City where going to win the league before the season started?
Our squad is 2nd-4th in terms of quality, no doubts about that. You can't "get the best" out of Rashford, Herrera, Darmian, Blind any more than what's been done and the others like Martial, Pogba, Matic, Lingard, Young and our FBs etc are playing to the best of their abilities. Lukaku is blowing hot and cold and it has nothing to do with Jose.

If by "getting the best", you expect Martial and Rashford to score 25 goals each, Shaw to suddenly become the new Marcelo and Valencia discovering how to use both feet, then you will be disappointed. Because the first 2 are inconsistent and the rest are nowhere near City's squad.

There was a thread last season on top 5 predictions. 90% predicted City as the winner if I remember correctly.