Mourinho : "Transfer spend is not enough"

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
We've spent our fair share of money but spent it poorly, Mourinho and the board need to take responsibility for this.
While you're correct on first part, most of the signings by Jose apart from Mikhtaryan has been good.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
We have bought some bad players, but also overpaid for Pogba and Lukaku. Juventus and Everton must have seen us coming. They were statement buys to show how much money we have. Surely with better scouting and less bragging we could have picked up players who would have done as good a job for nowhere near the money.
I can see us making the same kind of statement buy in the summer. I would rather buy players who are much nearer the finished article than keep getting rinsed for potential and then not being able to nurture it properly. Which I am not sure Jose is the man to do that.
Sadly I totally agree.

Compare the city buys to ours in the Summer and you just knew we were fecked. They are buying from a position of strength and us from desperation/hope.

Fitchett

City have been spending serious money each year since the oil money takeover in 2008. We sold our best player in 2009, which heralded the start of the "no value in the market" nonsense from Ferguson, as an excuse for buying lower quality players, with a couple of exceptions. This went on until he retired in 2013. We then had the disaster of the Moyes year, followed by Van Gaal ripping up our squad for two years and bringing in sub-standard replacements. Mourinho came in during 2016, and no doubt once he had worked with the squad and fully assessed them, was shocked at the lack of quality for such a big club. So far, he has had eighteen months to repair the damage of under investment and poor signings made during the preceding seven years. This at a time when City have been buying quality at huge expense. Whether Mourinho will spend wisely in the future remains to be seen, but his transfer dealings at the club so far have been much better than those of his predecessors during the preceding seven years. He is right to state that we need to continue to spend big, if we are to catch not only City, but other European giants, to get us to the place on the pitch which is commensurate with our standing as a giant club.

haram

I can’t really accept this excuse. He’s spent nearly £300mil since taking over. He could’ve done some proper scouting and bought players that fitted his style. For that amount of money, he could’ve moulded the team in his image but instead we still have a mix of average and good players. More importantly, however, we still play players out of position and lack any sort of cohesion in midfield and attack. How much money does he need to spend to get it right?
It's not his fault van gaal signed some complete garbage. He had to use a lot of money to get in Lukaku and Pogba. There are still gaps in the squad. That is why people should trust him when he goes after players like Perisic and Matic.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
But if he has got spurs to massively out perform their expect target position which a great manager like mourinho is doing then doesn't that suggest that he is a great manager too? Since money is directly correlated to finishing position?
IMHO we'll never know until he wins something of note and is around alot longer.

Could be the next AVB for all we know.

Eddy_JukeZ

And we are second. Behind a City team that has spent a lot and will continue to spend. If people think we can win the league with what we have spent they are deluded. We were fighting for top 4 before and some of the players we signed especially under van gaal were only good enough for that. Not good enough to win the league.

Jose has not even signed a single fullback. We are using wingers there. The actual fullbacks in Darmian and Blind are not championship winning level. Pep got rid of Kolarov and Zabaleta. That's the difference.
Mourinho opted to not sign a fullback. He could have got rid of Darmian and Blind. He 'bigged' up the squad 2 successive seasons. Saying he had enough and was smug when things were going right. Once it started to go a bit wrong, he is throwing a "hissy fit."

Our problem isn't not spending enough funds. It's that the funds are all spent as if we're throwing stuff on a wall and hoping it sticks. There's no clear plan in our purchases. It's akin to football manager purchases. Just gather the names. Play them together and hope for results.

Jeffthered

Of course he needs more money.
And of course the xmas schedule is against us.
Conte shows 'no respect'.
City 'celebrate' too much.
The players are 'childish'.
Bristol City were 'lucky'.

And what about you, your purchases, your coaching and YOUR management Jose?

This will end in tears. This guy cannot deal with being at United and he cannot deal with a changing game. His limitations are being highlighted. I no longer expect anything from him as our manager. He is miserable, ignorant, self-indulged, and his style and management do not represent the traditions of the club.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
My god I like José, but he isn't half coming across as a whinny bitch here! He needs to shut the feck up and do what great managers do, which is get the absolute most out of the players he's got at his disposal. Fergie did it for countless seasons! When it was clear we needed investment during the early stages of the glazer takeover, you never caught Fergie crying did you? Nope, no value in the market then. Also, what message does it send out to the players that the manager is publicly saying they aren't good enough? Just fecking shut and be that great manager you think you are, Jose
Best post on here in ages, He is very whiney, always seems to be moaning about something, Like when City were celebrating their win at Old Trafford. He went in and caused a riot, he should have told the players, to listen and do better if they did not want to experience such a thing again.

Kapardin

Absolutely your recruitment has been poor, so to blame City’s spending is wide of the mark. It’s YOUR spending that’s to blame. You’ve got one of the most expensive squads in world football and he wants to point to finger at spending. Pointing the finger at spending of previous managers at YOUR club at your club would be more accurate.

We agree.
But Mourinho is not talking about past spending, is he? He is focusing on himself. And he sees that the previous managers have assembled a load of shite as the "most expensive squad in world football".

It is not even about Burnley or Leicester. What Mourinho wants is to catch you. And he sees Pep being allowed to bring in whomever he likes, with multiple ins and outs, contracts ending, freeing up wages for his new players. While Mourinho has been restrained, despite having a poorer squad to start with as compared to City. It is clear from his comments, and cannot be denied, that there is a budget set for him, unlike City who have near unlimited spending.

Unlike Pep, Mourinho has the added pressure from a fanbase that wants him to "develop" Tuanzebe, TFM, Rashford and other youth, without understanding that kids do not win trophies. Also, we must win trophies while playing the youth AND attacking at lightning speed. While the manager has his tactical flaws, these are unreasonable expectations. Its' either focus on playing proven talent with limited time/loans for youth to win things, or play the youth and finish 6th.

He is not blaming City for spending. He simply wants to spend as much as City, or atleast, as much as he needs.

Take a look at this, for instance:

Bojan11

That Jose was responsible for. Your argument makes no sense. You'er saying the amount of money we have spent is not enough to buy players that could beat the teams we drew?
I think it makes much sense.

We had enough chances to beat Leicester and beat them three times over. Is Jose supposed to go out there and finish for the players too? There’s so much a manager can do. Most of these players have been average attacking wise for quite a few managers.

Also a lot of these players like Rashford have been vastly overrated by the caf. We need to start signing established world class attackers who will frighten defenders. Lukaku is still work in progress. Mkhitaryan is most likely gone. Ibrahimovic was on a free and did well in his first season. But we need to start signing players who are 24/25 entering their prime.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
And we are second. Behind a City team that has spent a lot and will continue to spend. If people think we can win the league with what we have spent they are deluded. We were fighting for top 4 before and some of the players we signed especially under van gaal were only good enough for that. Not good enough to win the league.

Jose has not even signed a single fullback. We are using wingers there. The actual fullbacks in Darmian and Blind are not championship winning level. Pep got rid of Kolarov and Zabaleta. That's the difference.
They are not deluded, we have lost points against teams that are inferior to us, we are second while playing badly as a team. Building a cohesive team isn't a matter of money but coaching.

haram

Mourinho opted to not sign a fullback. He could have got rid of Darmian and Blind. He 'bigged' up the squad 2 successive seasons. Saying he had enough and was smug when things were going right. Once it started to go a bit wrong, he is throwing a "hissy fit."

Our problem isn't not spending enough funds. It's that the funds are all spent as if we're throwing stuff on a wall and hoping it sticks. There's no clear plan in our purchases. It's akin to football manager purchases. Just gather the names. Play them together and hope for results.
He tried to sign Perisic so he could use him in a 352. He also has a budget. He cannot sign replacements all at once. He is not gonna sit there and say the squad is shit. We need to realise what we were under van gaal and what we are competing with now.

His signings have been good bar Mkhi anyway. City already had a head start on us and will continue to spend. We need to spend more. It's as simple as that. It's just not viable to do it all in one summer. It will take time. We have been destroyed by van gaal and moyes. We are climbing back up.

haram

They are not deluded, we have lost points against teams that are inferior to us, we are second while playing badly as a team. Building a cohesive team isn't a matter of money but coaching.
Right and there were times last season were city were playing badly as a team. Whats your point? Yes Pep has done very well this year but they have spent a lot of money and had a better base to begin with. Like I said, Pep didnt have to spend money to sign de bruyne and aguero. They were already there. Jose had to sign Lukaku and Pogba and use up the budget.

Does our team of this year compete with last years City? Yes. Man United were already behind City in development though. People need to accept that.

Smores

Sounds like he's trying to make a point to the board for the coming transfer window. We do need investment so can't say i mind

The Cat

If he does stay another 2 years (and I doubt that now) his signings have been far better than LvG and the Moyes' non-signings.

I don't think he would waste the money per se but he had too much to do all at once replacing the garbage that had been brought in.

Sounds harsh but if you want to get back to winning the league we don't have anywhere near enough players who can do that.

Out of my preferred 11 I would only keep these if money was no object:

DDG

Baily

Matic (great great buy)

Pogba

Ummm

Rashford and Martial as they have so much upside.

Jones has been decent so far this season.

That's actually it. We are another 4 top class signings at least from competing for the league - that makes me sad.

Eddy_JukeZ

He tried to sign Perisic so he could use him in a 352. He also has a budget. He cannot sign replacements all at once. He is not gonna sit there and say the squad is shit. We need to realise what we were under van gaal and what we are competing with now.

His signings have been good bar Mkhi anyway. City already had a head start on us and will continue to spend. We need to spend more. It's as simple as that. It's just not viable to do it all in one summer. It will take time. We have been destroyed by van gaal and moyes. We are climbing back up.
Perisic I don't think has ever featured prominently in a wing-back role(someone correct me if I'm wrong), so I don't know if he would have made much difference.

He can sign replacements if he signed off selling players to balance the wages. He has embraced a lot of players that most fans don't think are good. So clearly, he was happy with the squad.

I don't know if Lukaku is a good signing. That's yet to be determined. Same with Lindelof. The rest have been good.

We were level on points with City when Jose and Pep took over both teams. We had a better defense + GK and their attack+midfield was better. It's not like Pep took over a Barcelona squad.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
The fact is a large portion of our spend is on Pogba and Lukaku. Pep didnt have to spend money to sign de bruyne and aguero. They were already there. On top of that they continued their spending under pep. That's why our spending is not enough. We were behind them already to begin with.
Yeah De Bruyne is great, but even he stepped it up under Pep and plays a somehow new role. We had De Gea too and imo a better defence than them. Aguero isn't really all that important for Pep and we signed some quality players too. City had the better squad, no doubt about that, but the difference wasn't that big and Pep increased it by far with his. decisions. Mourinho wanted 8 players and he got 7 and none of them was a really huge success comparable to game-changers like Hazard or De Bruyne. Pogba is good but for a world record fee I would say he is ok, the other top players are still a level above. If Jose wanted to sign more he could have, it was his decision. He shouldn't have ignored the wings or the fullback area. No need to cry that the spending isn't enough, that just makes him look weak for me.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m concerned that he’s already rolling out the excuses, body langauage, demeanor and criticism of players. It’s like he’s gearing up to abandon ship already. I hope the club either back him this window or have a backup plan

haram

Yeah De Bruyne is great, but even he stepped it up under Pep and plays a somehow new role. We had De Gea too and imo a better defence than them. Aguero isn't really all that important for Pep and we signed some quality players too. City had the better squad, no doubt about that, but the difference wasn't that big and Pep increased it by far with his. decisions. Mourinho wanted 8 players and he got 7 and none of them was a really huge success comparable to game-changers like Hazard or De Bruyne. Pogba is good but for a world record fee I would say he is ok, the other top players are still a level above. If Jose wanted to sign more he could have, it was his decision. He shouldn't have ignored the wings or the fullback area. No need to cry that the spending isn't enough, that just makes him look weak for me.
Yes de bruyne is great. He also cost 65 million. Mourinho wanted to sign Perisic. He couldnt. We are second and thats where we probably should be at the moment.

Our level before Mourinho wasnt up to City. Pep had more to work with. Mourinho has now got into second place. City are pummeling everyone. Conte wanted more players as well and he was right for wanting more.

The Cat

I’m concerned that he’s already rolling out the excuses, body langauage, demeanor and criticism of players. It’s like he’s gearing up to abandon ship already. I hope the club either back him this window or have a backup plan
I agree, is it stretch to say he has never looked totally happy either?

I know a couple of trophies and all that but I don't think deep down those are the trophies that really matter to him.

Revaulx

Our signings have poor been regardless of the price. I would say, post Fergie only these players were the proper signings
I don’t agree with all your classifications. Looking at the list as a whole, there’s no disputing that your first sentence is bang on though

iam_kramer

He decided to spend 70 odd million euros on players he's then luke-warm about, Lindleof and Mkhitaryan.

The problem is really that the players he has bought don't seem to be fitting into the system, Lukaku's form has dropped, Henrikh's too, Zlatan today looked lost in that position of this system, though coming back from injury.

Mourinho can blame the Xmas fixtures and the spending but the main issue is that in the second season where Mourinho usually comes good, the players still don't have a clue what to do in attack and the system looks weak.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I’m reminded of Mourinho’s first couple of seasons at Chelsea when their spending power made them look unstoppable but we ended up stopping them from dominating anyway.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Is Jose unravelling? Smacks of his last season at Chelsea. He has spent 292m in two seasons. Hardly chicken feed. His net spend is 235m. This is vast money. He is leaving himself open to ridicule with comments like these. Pochettino has spent 230m since 2014, Klopp 152m since Oct 2015. True Mourinho has won trophies but the use of the other figures is to highlights the insanity of Jose's whinge. Poch has broken even and Klopp's net spend is 30m. Conte won the league with Chelsea coming in at a similar time. He has spent 305m recouping 253m giving him a net spend of 50m. Pep has spent 378m recouping 101m giving him a net spend of 267m. Which is 32m more than Mourinho.
Jose has spent 75m and 90m on Lukaku and Pogba with Mendy at 52m the most expensive Guardiola signing. Stop whinging Jose and get on with your job. The league is most likely City's so aim to win a cup and look to continue the rebuilding job.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

I know a couple of trophies and all that but I don't think deep down those are the trophies that really matter to him.
This is my concern.

He doesn’t look happy, has rarely done so since joining the club, and this transmits to the wider mood around the place.

I don’t think he’s committed to us.

LonelyFire

They don't have a backup plan because they are content with the current position. Do the owners think the capital required to win the title is worth the investment when compared with making top 4? The difference for winning the league is not exactly massive. I think this is about where the manager wants to be versus where the owners are content to be.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?

Has he ever, in his career? He's got famous moments of course but I generally can't think of him as ever being all that joyful. His celebration at the EL win last year seemed to be the happiest moment he's had here, rightly so.

And given that we all know he wants the PL and CL, why would we expect him to be particularly happy when things have been going poorly lately? Always too much being read into body language IMO.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Right and there were times last season were city were playing badly as a team. Whats your point? Yes Pep has done very well this year but they have spent a lot of money and had a better base to begin with. Like I said, Pep didnt have to spend money to sign de bruyne and aguero. They were already there. Jose had to sign Lukaku and Pogba and use up the budget.
José didn't had to sign Lukaku, he wasn't needed and still isn't, he didn't had to sign Lindelof either, we already have a young CB that isn't having any game time. We needed fullbacks and wide players.
My point is fairly simple, money won't fix our problem, our problem is our inability to identify the weaknesses in our roster and the inability of the manager to create a cohesive team on the field.

Also I don't like to talk about City and even less talk positively about them but last season City were cohesive, you could see what they were trying to do but they had limitations based on the quality of a handful of players. United is a different story, we are good at hustling points, it has been the case almost from day one, but we are not cohesive and our identity is a mystery.

Bojan11

Why spend all that money on Lindelof when we have plenty of CB cover and he is hardly playing. Should have spent it on a winger or a midfielder instead.
What are you going on about? Everyone on here was shouting for a CB and now saying we do not need one. Crazy how people have short term memories.

We had to start Blind as a CB in the Europa league final due to all the injuries we had towards the end of last season.

His mistake was not getting rid of Blind and Darmian. Then using the money to sign a proper fullback.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
He decided to spend 70 odd million euros on players he's then luke-warm about, Lindleof and Mkhitaryan.

The problem is really that the players he has bought don't seem to be fitting into the system, Lukaku's form has dropped, Henrikh's too, Zlatan today looked lost in that position of this system, though coming back from injury.

Mourinho can blame the Xmas fixtures and the spending but the main issue is that in the second season where Mourinho usually comes good, the players still don't have a clue what to do in attack and the system looks weak.
We have too many players with big names and not enough skill. I will not say who I think these players are . We have players with a lot more reputation than skill. The club needs to be run by people with football knowledge and not by people with financial knowledge.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
I think Man Utd need two quality wingers. But if Man Utd bring in two wingers it wouldn't make sense selling Mkhitaryan since you would need a 10 in such a system.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
We have been destroyed by van gaal and moyes
Moyes did no damage to the squad except to not get stuck into rebuilding the squad when he took the job. I would accept that a lot of LVG's signings were poor but at least he had the cojones to overhaul the squad which won two trophies with just three players added to it. Moyes innocence and lack of understanding of what was required set Utd back one season but to say he destroyed MU is patent nonsense.

haram

Perisic I don't think has ever featured prominently in a wing-back role(someone correct me if I'm wrong), so I don't know if he would have made much difference.

He can sign replacements if he signed off selling players to balance the wages. He has embraced a lot of players that most fans don't think are good. So clearly, he was happy with the squad.

I don't know if Lukaku is a good signing. That's yet to be determined. Same with Lindelof. The rest have been good.

We were level on points with City when Jose and Pep took over both teams. We had a better defense + GK and their attack+midfield was better. It's not like Pep took over a Barcelona squad.
He embraces the squad because that is what he has. He cannot just relace everyone. You say you dont think Perisic will work. Well to be quite frank that's just your opinion and Mourinho is way more qualified than you are. No offence.

De bruyne had been doing great things in Germany. Sterling had already challenged for the title with Liverpool. Those were signed just before pep arrived. Now compare it to all the garbage van gaal bought. Even the better signings like Blind and Herrera are not championship level. Now you can see the gulf in what the two managers were working with.

Bojan11

I think Man Utd need two quality wingers. But if Man Utd bring in two wingers it wouldn't make sense selling Mkhitaryan since you would need a 10 in such a system.
That’s where Ozil on a free comes in. Ozil with two new wingers would be perfect.

The Cat

Has he ever, in his career? He's got famous moments of course but I generally can't think of him as ever being all that joyful. His celebration at the EL win last year seemed to be the happiest moment he's had here, rightly so.

And given that we all know he wants the PL and CL, why would we expect him to be particularly happy when things have been going poorly lately? Always too much being read into body language IMO.
Nah not for me. He looks like he doesn't want his job and can't wait for the next one. Plus he is living away from his family - lost his dad this year too which only makes things harder.

I can remember a lot of his Chelsea press conferences / after match comments and he's never sounded this low.