Mourinho vs. Conte: "I've never been suspended for match fixing"

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Oh right yeah he just randomly came out with that. Not directing it in any direction. How silly of me to have misinterpreted it
Exactly and even if it was aimed at someone in particular, there are many managers who act like fools on the touchline, why did Conte feel concerned by this ? Does he suspect people see him as a clown then ? It really as simple as that, if a comment is made in general then it should be taken personally.

Offsideagain

I’m not sure Conte was actually involved in match fixing but knew that it was going on. Many Italian sides were at it. I mean some people have intimated that a certain CL Final involving an Italian team with a big lead at halftime amazingly losing the game to an English team were implicite in a betting scandal.

Thing is, the media ask Jose stuff knowing full well what he’ll say which is normally his version of the facts.

Esquire

That's the thing, Mourinho wasn't necessarily talking about Conte. Why did your manager feel targeted ? There are many managers all around the world who acts like idiots on the touchline as a testimony of "passion". If the question is asked to a manager who isn't as stupid as Conte, he easily deflects and says something like "I don't feel concerned by this".
They simply hate each other’s guts. Period.

Champagne Football

Exactly and even if it was aimed at someone in particular, there are many managers who act like fools on the touchline, why did Conte feel concerned by this ? Does he suspect people see him as a clown then ? It really as simple as that, if a comment is made in general then it should be taken personally.
So far John Collins
and ex Jose player Mark Schwarzer https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...rinho-comments-Antonio-Conte-match-fixing-BBC

have come come out saying it was below the belt. I've no doubt more will follow soon. But anyways it's a matter of opinion as to whether he was aiming it at Conte or not

Zoo

So Conte insinuating that Mourinho May have senile dementia is not below the belt? You could see the Chelsea press officer immediately try to shut it down and they even went as far as contacting Sky Sports to try and claim he meant amnesia.

ChaddyP

So far John Collins
and ex Jose player Mark Schwarzer https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...rinho-comments-Antonio-Conte-match-fixing-BBC

have come come out saying it was below the belt. I've no doubt more will follow soon. But anyways it's a matter of opinion as to whether he was aiming it at Conte or not
I find it weird that they consider that below the belt (he's stating facts) but saying Jose has dementia was fair play and great bantz. These same people were laughing when conte made his comment now they have a moral compass.

kouroux

So far John Collins

The Pope himself could give his opinion on the subject but that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong to assume that Mourinho was talking about Conte and not necessarily someone else.
Where the hell is this certainty coming from :confused: ? Why does "being a clown on the touchline" is related to Conte directly :lol: ?
What about what Conte said directly to Mourinho ? Not below the belt ? There is a clear negative bias regarding Mourinho on the media in general, it's reached the point where things are assumed about him.

Bobski

Conte and Mourinho are just too similar as personalities.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The Pope himself could give his opinion on the subject but that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong to assume that Mourinho was talking about Conte and not necessarily someone else.
Where the hell is this certainty coming from :confused: ? Why does "being a clown on the touchline" is related to Conte directly :lol: ?
What about what Conte said directly to Mourinho ? Not below the belt ? There is a clear negative bias regarding Mourinho on the media in general, it's reached the point where things are assumed about him.
I only read snippets but I was under the impression that Mourinho was talking about himself. He was justifying his current calmer demeanor compared to his younger "clownish" self.

kouroux

I only read snippets but I was under the impression that Mourinho was talking about himself. He was justifying his current calmer demeanor compared to his younger "clownish" self.
Exactly. The journalist who asked that question to Conte set up a nice trap and it worked. Even if Jose wasn't talking about himself, why would Conte even react to something said in general ?

RORY65

They're both out of order, Conte's comment was worse and more unpleasant I would suggest but Mourinho's was also uncalled for and misleading. Conte was eventually cleared, by Mourinho's logic anyone who is wrongly convicted of a crime is a criminal even if justice is later served. Part of the reason Mourinho is getting more stick is that he has been the one who has started this feud with Conte and also because I think most people are just fecking bored of him and his nonsense.

It can be amusing on a very rare occasion but it's generally just tedious for a man who is way past middle age to behave like such a twat so constantly. Conte is largely getting away with actually worse comments because he doesn't have the track record, he'll be gone within a few months and because nobody likes Mourinho (understandably so, I support him and want him to do well because he's our manager but I acknowledge that he's a complete wanker).

Adebesi

It's true Mourinho's antics are getting a bit old on the whole but his delivery on this one was just classic. Spent so much time appearing to be conciliatory - and then BAM. And and then his reaction when the journo sought to clarify he had been talking about Conte, just hilarious.

In retrospect this may well end up backfiring but when I watched the presser I couldn't help laughing. He hasn't made me laugh much of late so it was a nice change. If it cheers him up and gives him some job satisfaction I'm all for it. The man has seemed so depressed recently.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The moralism in that studio is quite perplexing. What Conte said was tongue in cheek, but he had to know that Jose would smack him right back. And it meant that those guys who unfortunately did not have a broad spectrum of views, not only condemned Jose's comment, but also began talking about match fixing with one of them trying to say "when in Rome" as if that makes it any less serious. Worked a treat. In the same week Jose highlighted Klopp's hypocrisy. He's picking fights and I'm quite enjoying it.

Foxbatt

The main issue is that Jose never said Conte or Klopp or anyone. He categorically said that he was speaking about himself and what he had done in the past. The Press who told Conte, that Jose said that Conte is a clown should be penalized and banned by the FA from attending FA sanctioned Press conferences.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@Foxbatt
The Journo didn't say Jose mentioned Conte or Klopp, he said something along those lines that many people thought Jose was referring to them two. Conte did not properly process what was being said and answered accordingly. IMO Jose was quite intentionally ambiguous, playing the media.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
So Conte insinuating that Mourinho May have senile dementia is not below the belt? You could see the Chelsea press officer immediately try to shut it down and they even went as far as contacting Sky Sports to try and claim he meant amnesia.
Exactly. This is far far worse than anything Jose said. Why aren't the press going after Conte for that disgusting comment?
Besides, Jose stated a fact re: match fixing. We know Jose hasn't been charged for knowing or being involved in match fixing, however it is a fact that Conte went down for knowing but not reporting match fixing. These are facts, not slander.

ti vu

Awesome. While Conte and Jose focus on their next jab at each other in pressers, Pep will continue to run away with the league. Maybe both of these clowns should be more concerned about how their teams perform on the pitch rather than how they should act on the sidelines. This is beyond silly.
As if now both managers keep quiet then City wouldn't run away with the league this season. Wait the whole thing start with Mourinho being questioned about his passion. He just responded his way to begin with.

People don't realize that it's small time only act yourself when you're on the high and withdraw when it doesn't go your way? Being strong makes mean even when you at your low point, opposition would need to be careful even to provoke you. Football isn't just one season. The whole hit & run is cowardice to say the least

Typical Mourinho. Let's start deflecting attention from my failures on the pitch by talking shit about other clubs/managers.
If you're so sure Mourinho is aiming at other coaches, why not try help Conte with legal advice. These people is filthy rich, you may get some cut once he won the case.

Last edited:

Canagel

Waiting for Conte's response now. Get your popcorn ready everyone.

Suedesi

Where have I said Conte was at Juve? I said Porto's reputation is hardly better than Juve's. Learn to read before you try and educate someone based on something they didn't say.

He can say what he wants about Pep doping his players honestly, makes no odds. Good attempt at taking the thread off topic though.
So what's the relevant of Juve in this?

RuudTom83

If Conte says anything I’d love it to be aimed at the journalist for twisting a fellow managers words.

It’s very hard for any manager to get one back on the media, this could be used my lots of managers.

Conte could find out the name of the journalist in particular and call him out. Klopp could have a go at them again if they bring up Jose’s comments.

padr81

Supports
Man City
So what's the relevant of Juve in this?
They are seen as the most corrupt team in Europe (Porto on the other hand got away with it). I could have as easily said AC Milan. Just Juve are more famous and biggest club.

As I said too, I've no issue with Jose saying this, I think its great, just I think Conte will react and people will question his biggest achievement when he does. Do alot of football supporters need actual proof to belittle each others feats etc.. They don't.

A lot of younger supporters will remember the Juve (calciopoli) scandal, not so many will remember Conte (Scommessopoli) or Porto (Apito Dourado) as they were much greyer.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Chelsea should genuinely sack their media manager and ban the journalist who misled Conte. Awful job by them.
He should be smart enough to know bette than to bite without needing someone employed just to advise him not to though. Just as Jose should really be grown up enough not to keep prodding him with a stick...although he's probablly just gotten bored with doing it to Wenger.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Who gives a feck if it was below the belt if it’s the truth?

You don’t see people being sympathetic with Collymore when people call him a wife beating cnut!

Anyway, can’t wait to hear Conte’s reaction post much.

Suedesi

They are seen as the most corrupt team in Europe (Porto on the other hand got away with it). I could have as easily said AC Milan. Just Juve are more famous and biggest club.

As I said too, I've no issue with Jose saying this, I think its great, just I think Conte will react and people will question his biggest achievement when he does. Do alot of football supporters need actual proof to belittle each others feats etc.. They don't.

A lot of younger supporters will remember the Juve (calciopoli) scandal, not so many will remember Conte (Scommessopoli) or Porto (Apito Dourado) as they were much greyer.
I think Man City are the most corrupt team in Europe, because its owners are simply in it to leverage their savage reputation in the West.

I've no issue with you coming here to debate topics, just I think people will react and posters will question your sporting achievements that are hollow and built upon money laundering and reputation laundering.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think Man City are the most corrupt team in Europe, because its owners are simply in it to leverage their savage reputation in the West.

I've no issue with you coming here to debate topics, just I think people will react and posters will question your sporting achievements that are hollow and built upon money laundering and reputation laundering.
So no answer to what I said just trying to wind me up about City.

Good effort but I'd be careful, people like my good self have been warned and banned recently for taking threads off topic especially when its seen as an attempt at wumming.

There's a big old City thread over in the football forum for you to post that where I'll be more than happy to discuss it.

SirAF

Ageist
Who gives a feck if it was below the belt if it’s the truth?

You don’t see people being sympathetic with Collymore when people call him a wife beating cnut!

Anyway, can’t wait to hear Conte’s reaction post much.
Just your holier than thou types who are desperate to not appear too biased.. I want to see blood!

Baxter

Still laughing at the ‘Did he? Not me!’

You just tell he’s had that match fixing comment up his sleeve for ages and Conte fell for it.

SirAF

Ageist

You just tell he’s had that match fixing comment up his sleeve for ages and Conte fell for it.
I'm 100% convinced he set it up when he dropped the clown comment, he knew Conte would be asked about it and bite :lol:

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
Jose's personal attack on Conte I'd say has a lot more to do with Mourinho trying to take the focus away from the huge media campaign that has been focusing on him turning into a ticking time bomb at Utd than anything else. He crossed the line for his own benefit. Jose disgraced himself 2 seasons ago at Chelsea with his treatment of Eva Carneiro, so much so that he lost the Chelsea dressing room after and many wondered if there was a way back for him in English football yet no rival manager has yet to attack him over his behaviour back then. Jose ran a major media campaign to get the Utd gig while his old buddy Van Gaal was still in charge. Jose is known for his childish celebrations yet throws a tantrum if anyone celebrates wildly in front of him. I think he's done very good work here so far but I feel he’s crossed the line with Conte comment. Italian football is as corrupt as it comes and Conte was possibly made a scapegoat for a much wider problem and Jose was wrong to attack that and to me his personal attack on Conte show weakness more than anything else. Fergie never crossed the line with personal attacks on rival managers with the likes of Venables, George Graham, Brian Clough, Allardyce etc all linked in taking bungs etc.
Some good points there and I hope Conte does not respond as it would only damage football.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I am looking forward to Chelsea coming to OT.
I want us to give them a warm welcome by putting many many goals into their net.
And after the match, we I'd like Jose to have a civilised discussion on hair loss - which may or may not be aimed at Conte.

On a more serious note, it looks like CFC and MUFC are going to battle it out for 2nd and Jose is squaring up for the fight.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Some good points there and I hope Conte does not respond as it would only damage football.
How will that damage football?
Genuine question.

Got my Kettle Chips (Honey BBQ flavour which I've never seen before?!) ready for Conte's reply. Wild Sat night.
We aren't playing for over a week and this squabble will certainly provide some much needed light relief.

ChaddyP

I'm 100% convinced he set it up when he dropped the clown comment, he knew Conte would be asked about it and bite :lol:
I feel I'm the only one that thinks the only one acting like a clown is Klopp :lol:

Yeh conte kinda over celebrates at times but Klopp literally is a buffoon every match day

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Conte has called Mourinho “a little man.”

Honestly, he’s a fecking embarrassment. Mourinho never even mentioned him in his original clown point.