Moyes - Can he handle the pressure?

bananaman

Looked a bit rabbit in the headlights,
i do think he will be good but I worry whether it will take him time,
I think having Fergie upstairs doesn't help - as we saw with Busby
I really want him to succeed because I like Moyes
but im worried its too much for him at the moment and he wont get time to settle.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Bloody hell, he is in trouble indeed if people will be starting this sort of thread before he has had the chance to do anything at all.

Fergie upstairs not helping already :houllier:

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Bloody hell, he is in trouble indeed if people will be starting this sort of thread before he has had the chance to do anything at all.

Fergie upstairs not helping already :houllier:
Despite the fact that Moyes stated that he's been a great help already.

Abbsta

He'll get the time to settle plus Giggs and Philip (:lol: sorry just rememberd that interview with Gary) should help him acclimatise. I am more worried about Europe.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
4 days into the job now is it?

Lets wait til a ball is kicked shall we.

I think he'll be fine, Utd aren't a kneejerk club, hopefully fans remember that.

Who cares if it takes him a bit of time to settle in. It took our last manager a few years but that turned out alright.

bananaman

Just my opinion guys but I wouldnt fancy starting a job where the last guy was a legend and he is upstairs and seeing how you do
I think Moyes is a great manager and I think he wil do well but I think hes been put under a lot of pressure,

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
4 days into the job now is it?

Lets wait til a ball is kicked shall we.
I specifically avoided talking about kicking balls as I suppose many don't want to wait that long. He is being actively assessed on a daily basis on the basic criteria of whether he has bought anyone yet.

I blame Solius for getting everyone's hopes up.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
I'll judge him on results, not on answering silly media questions.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He did fine. I think it would have been easy for him to lose it with the press over their questions regarding Rooney. I'm sure in time, they won't be so lucky. No problems here, you drama queen :)

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
It took both our greatest managers three years to win their first trophy for the club. In fact no manager has ever won a trophy in their first year at Manchester United. He might not get three years without winning a trophy, but United won't sack him this year or next, unless something drastic happens, like he misses out on a top 4 finish or something like that.

There is huge pressure on him, no doubt. But the Everton job having come from Preston was a huge jump in pressure too and he revolutionised the club and would have had them playing Champions League football on a fairly regular basis if it wasn't for Sugar Daddy clubs (in my opinion of course). It's a big step up, but I never saw anything in his days at Everton to suggest he was one to buckle under pressure.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
There once was a manager called Moyes.
Whose bosses refused to buy toys.
Not once did they bring him,
Cesc, Baines or Higuain,
so the caf prays that Nemanja destroys..

MoneyMay

1. David Moyes handled the Rooney questions well, but how anyone can conclude that Rooney is staying from this press conference is beyond me.

2. Rooney's not for sale, Rooney's training hard, but there is nothing definitive just yet, so I'd rather be patient.

3. Moyes did very well, better than I expected, in the press conference. He wants Rooney to stay + he's shown the club how much he values him. It's important to make this known.

4. David Moyes did extremely well. There was excessive pressure to give the media what they wanted to hear, but he cemented his authority convincingly.

5. It's why I was disappointed by fellow Manchester United fans who were quick to criticise Moyes. You wanted him to announce Thiago signing? Twitter was annoying as hell 16:00 onwards...

6. Moyes has had an excellent first week, honestly. Excellent work with regards to Neville and Giggs, too. How is this NOT positive?

7. You judge a manager on results and his philosophy - and not that he disappointed you in a press conference. That is pettiness.

That's just my opinion...

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
1. David Moyes handled the Rooney questions well, but how anyone can conclude that Rooney is staying from this press conference is beyond me.

2. Rooney's not for sale, Rooney's training hard, but there is nothing definitive just yet, so I'd rather be patient.

3. Moyes did very well, better than I expected, in the press conference. He wants Rooney to stay + he's shown the club how much he values him. It's important to make this known.

4. David Moyes did extremely well. There was excessive pressure to give the media what they wanted to hear, but he cemented his authority convincingly.

5. It's why I was disappointed by fellow Manchester United fans who were quick to criticise Moyes. You wanted him to announce Thiago signing? Twitter was annoying as hell 16:00 onwards...

6. Moyes has had an excellent first week, honestly. Excellent work with regards to Neville and Giggs, too. How is this NOT positive?

7. You judge a manager on results and his philosophy - and not that he disappointed you in a press conference. That is pettiness.

Nope, that's the opinion of most on here. There are a few jinnets who disagree though.

Bear Attack

Just a question, what were you expecting from that presser? Lizardman to declare war on City and Chelsea, the announcement of Thiago, and plans to play total football?

Chorley1974

Lady Ole

Good summary, he's not put a foot wrong. I dread to think of the reaction on here at the first defeat under his tenure.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
but im worried its too much for him at the moment and he wont get time to settle.
Did he feck, he may have been surprised about the number of photographers but he definitely took it all in his stride.
The difference being the journos wouldnt have the balls to shout questions at him in numbers if he had have been SAF.

I thought he did excellent, Rooney is staying and he is actively recruiting talent. What more do you what?

Giggsforever

I like that he just came out and said that he and the club would challange for all titles and not try to give himself time and play some game to try to make it easier on himself.

He knows what is expected and he will try his hardest to make that happen. Think he was rather composed, if he was not he would not tell the story of when he was offered the job so casual and rather funny way.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
This is going to be the biggest self fulfilling prophecy in football, ever. :lol:

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Moyes can handle the pressure but very clearly you cant.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Moyes can handle the pressure but very clearly you cant.
Indeed.

I've always said this is an impossible job with the sucessor to Fergie likely to fail given the enormity of the job but the board have got it probably as right as they could have with Moyes.

ninety

Just a question, what were you expecting from that presser? Lizardman to declare war on City and Chelsea, the announcement of Thiago, and plans to play total football?
:lol::lol::lol: Never heard him being called Lizardman before. Shall have to remember that one.

I honestly couldn't give a shit how he handles press conferences as long as he gets the job done on the pitch. Fergie frequently got angry at journalists for asking daft questions and no one seemed to care. Not to mention if Lizardman gets the results on field his press conferences will be undoubtedly a lot easier for him.

Carl

I don't get the Lizardman thing.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
He'll get the time to settle plus Giggs and Philip (:lol: sorry just rememberd that interview with Gary) should help him acclimatise. I am more worried about Europe.
To be fair, our last two seasons haven't been exactly flattering. I for one look forward to something new. Moyes is younger, hungrier. He wants it just as much as any of us.

Carl

Seriously? A very competent presser from him IMHO.
He was doing a lot of squirming when they kept asking the same Rooney question over and over and he kept ducking it but yeh aside from that he did well.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I thought he was fine in the press conference. Some people are just looking for reasons that he is going to fail it seems

blitz133w

The worst thing that anyone can do is judge him based on the first few games. The fixture list is awful for a new manager and even if the worst happens, we should be patient atleast for half a season before we even start thinking about making a judgement. After every day, he just seems right for the club and am sure he'll grow into it as time passes. He knows his shit. I think he's had a good first week. He has to fill for the greatest managers in football and it's going to be nervous for him. He has complete backing from the club and the 6 year contract will give him confidence. Europe is not going to be easy and we should be realistic in that aspect. He looks fit for the job and am sure he'll make the Mourinho fan boys look stupid soon

Annahnomoss

1. He will need time to get in the new shoes like everybody who starts at a new work-place.
2. He will make mistakes in every area of being a manager, like every manager before him has.
3. He will enter a rough-patch roughly every season like almost all teams does.
4. Everything above is normal and the only thing that can turn it into a negative is the fans blowing up against him. So many managers has been fecked over because the fans put too much pressure for a change and I hope we won't be one of those clubs but from reading posts around here it doesn't seem very unlikely.

People have ridiculous expectations on him already and I think it would have been easier to take over if we lost the league last year. Now people claim "we won the league last year - anything else would be a failure as he can improve a league-winning squad" so we will probably see a lot of knee-jerking this coming season.

Hopefully enough fans stay calm and realize that rough patch/title-less seasons will inevitably come sooner or later.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Mourinho apart, most managers under the United spotlight would look like rabbits in the headlights... Moyes has never managed a big club before and has gone into the biggest job in club management, its a far more bigger job managing United than say Barca or Madrid because you're given so much autonomy and it must completely take over your life. It also seems like he hasn't had much time to prepare for the role as Sir Alex told him just before he retired.

Regardless, if we do sign players like Thiago.. how on earth can we write off Moyes based on a press conference. Clearly that proves this guy can think about football at a very high level and has been restricted by being at Everton with lesser resources and as for the press conference itself.. I just saw a manager who was incredibly excited and grateful to be at the club of his dreams, he didn't look terrified... almost giddy and full of beans, dying for the season to begin. He seemed abit soft and quite open with the media yes, but with time he will harden once he has some achievements on the board.

He can't go in and be jose-like with the media as he has no medals on the table, any arrogance here will come back to bite him on the ass, so he has to play nice and build some credentials before adopting a more stronger harder line of approach with the media.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The press conference wasn't there to judge Moyes' suitability as the next US presidential candidate. He's a football man, and he'll be judged on his teams performances on the pitch. Media is merely a side issue, and possibly a distraction.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
Mourinho apart, most managers under the United spotlight would look like rabbits in the headlights... Moyes has never managed a big club before and has gone into the biggest job in club management, its a far more bigger job managing United than say Barca or Madrid because you're given so much autonomy and it must completely take over your life. It also seems like he hasn't had much time to prepare for the role as Sir Alex told him just before he retired.

Regardless, if we do sign players like Thiago.. how on earth can we write off Moyes based on a press conference. Clearly that proves this guy can think about football at a very high level and has been restricted by being at Everton with lesser resources and as for the press conference itself.. I just saw a manager who was incredibly excited and grateful to be at the club of his dreams, he didn't look terrified... almost giddy and full of beans, dying for the season to begin. He seemed abit soft and quite open with the media yes, but with time he will harden once he has some achievements on the board.

He can't go in and be jose-like with the media as he has no medals on the table, any arrogance here will come back to bite him on the ass, so he has to play nice and build some credentials before adopting a more stronger harder line of approach with the media.
I hope he gets arrogant once he wins trophies. They media can make a meal out of it, and it'll take unnecessary attention from players.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Amusing thread. What are you judging on the basis of the press conference? Is it how much swagger he has infront of the camera? How much he likes to joke around with journalists? What next? He unveils his new signings and we judge his man management on the basis of how he poses for photographs with them? Get a grip.

As for my personal opinion on his self confidence, not that it is evident from one little presser, I think he won't have any problems there. He strikes me as having plenty of self belief. The question will be whether he's actually good enough at management for a club as big as United. And whilst I was skeptical at first, I reckon he's got it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I hope he gets arrogant once he wins trophies. They media can make a meal out of it, and it'll take unnecessary attention from players.
Everyone has their own way of going about their business. Mourinho is arrogant and it works for him. Guardiola is quieter and it works for him. Fergie is intimidating and it works for him. As long as Moyes does what works for him and Manchester United, I don't care. There is no one way of management that "works" IMO.

Infact, the above is such a tiny part of it anyway. As long as he does his actual job well, he won't have problems with the media.