Moyes: Nobody would have done better than me at Man Utd after Sir Alex

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He's wrong obviously and he talks a lot of crap and he's failed everywhere he's been since BUT in fairness we haven't exactly done too well with any manager since we won the league in SAF's final season.
A big part of the reason for that is the prick interviewed in the OP.

Moyes set the club back years.

Kapardin

Since his stint at United, he's flopped in Spain and he's flopped in Sunderland. In the meantime, we have moved onto better things; maybe not perfect, but certainly better. Yet he is still banging on about a job he took 3-4 years ago, and about which nobody cares anymore.

Obsessed.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I can imagine a very bitter Moyes at age 90 sat in a wooden rocking chair beside a roaring fire with his great grandchildren around him saying " You know I was once Manchester united manager if only they'd have given me more time.....the end"

Uniquim

Moyes said:
“So it was always going to take time. Yes, I took over the champions, but clubs like Chelsea and Man City spent huge amounts of that money that summer in a bid to overtake us.
but we also finished behind Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, and 8 points behind Everton.

And we were 22 points behind Manchester City at the end of the season, having finished 11 points above them the previous season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The people defending him by saying our subsequent league positions justify his statement, don't get it.
He broke the club.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I was never a Moyes fan. I thought that he was clearly out of depth and I never entertained to the idea of giving him a chance in the first place. However, he's kind of right on this one. The club was obsessed with the value strategy which saw us replacing top quality talent such as Ronaldo, Giggs and Scholes with honest, EPL proven workhorses such as Young, Valencia and Cleverley. The very reason why we signed Moyes (I know SAF tried to revise history but he once said that he actually wanted Moyes hence the Chosen one think)

So yes, in some ways, no one could have done better then Moyes, simply because the club was more busy balancing the books and staying on their high moral ground then actually build a competitive side which of course started by bringing in a top quality manager. Which is kind of strange since we were completely open to new ideas of making as much money as possible (ex sponsors and making tours in Asia) but completely close on other people's ideas of doing the same (ie like hiring Mino as agent). The club chose Moyes for a reason and that reason was that they didn't want a top quality managers asking for top quality players which would cost ridiculous amounts of money in fees, salaries, signing on fees and agent bonuses. And we got exactly what we deserved. I mean, you don't go to a pound shop to buy a Ferrari don't you? You go there to make bargains (sometimes as a trade off to quality)

I still remember Paddy humiliating a fan for having the temerity of suggesting Ander Herrera to United. He made it sound as if he asked for Messi in his prime. That's the sort of mindset we had at the club back then.

Gopher Brown

I wonder where we’d be now if we had honoured his 6 year contract...

We’d probably have got Baines for our troubled left back position, and a 39 year old Rio Ferdinand at centre back.

buckooo1978

he's just trying to make himself feel relevant again however annoying he is

I actually think he did a worse job at Sunderland - his attitude and lowering of expectations basically had them relegated before they kicked a ball

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think it is a bit ridiculous to suggest that Moyes broke the club tbh, that is a huge overstatement and a very simplistic one.

However, he is a complete moron if he genuinely thinks nobody would have done better than him. Almost anybody would have struggled? Almost certainly. To the same extent as him? No, don't think so.

Speedicut75

How long are his tame-journalist mates going to carry on indulging him with column inches? This latest drivel came on the back of a self-serving vanity piece, written by his big pal Matt Lawton for Mail On Sunday (1/09/17), where he yet again absolved himself of any blame for his dismal record.
He really needs to move the feck on, and stop looking to revise history with the collusion of his enabling, hack, buddies.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
"When you compare my season to what Jose achieved last season it is about those small margins"

He said that. That's a thing that he said.
TBF Jose finished 1 position higher after your club has spent another £550m

He had a tough task, an ageing squad past it's prime, average youngsters and a failed transfer window.

Trizy

Is he fecking serious? He's complete shite set us back about 2 years not including the season he pissed away.

OneUnited24

Just has to let it go now. He got something most British managers dont get, a chance. He wasnt good enough for it and was given the boot.

After the season we had under him i find it so amazing that he thinks he was hard done by. Barca finished 2nd in that same season and sacked their manager! Sigh. Hes probably angling for another job somewhere and thinks reminding everyone he was manager at United will help his chances, just forget about his tenure there or his next 2 jobs after it!

Revan

Assumptionman
I was never a Moyes fan. I thought that he was clearly out of depth and I never entertained to the idea of giving him a chance in the first place. However, he's kind of right on this one. The club was obsessed with the value strategy which saw us replacing top quality talent such as Ronaldo, Giggs and Scholes with honest, EPL proven workhorses such as Young, Valencia and Cleverley. The very reason why we signed Moyes (I know SAF tried to revise history but he once said that he actually wanted Moyes hence the Chosen one think)

So yes, in some ways, no one could have done better then Moyes, simply because the club was more busy balancing the books and staying on their high moral ground then actually build a competitive side which of course started by bringing in a top quality manager. Which is kind of strange since we were completely open to new ideas of making as much money as possible (ex sponsors and making tours in Asia) but completely close on other people's ideas of doing the same (ie like hiring Mino as agent). The club chose Moyes for a reason and that reason was that they didn't want a top quality managers asking for top quality players which would cost ridiculous amounts of money in fees, salaries, signing on fees and agent bonuses. And we got exactly what we deserved. I mean, you don't go to a pound shop to buy a Ferrari don't you? You go there to make bargains (sometimes as a trade off to quality)

I still remember Paddy humiliating a fan for having the temerity of suggesting Ander Herrera to United. He made it sound as if he asked for Messi in his prime. That's the sort of mindset we had at the club back then.
You're speaking bullshit as usual. We offered to Spurs more than Real did, so you're entire theory falls down there.

Tbf, Jose inherited a much worse squad, let's not forget that Moyes squad had just strolled to a league title, Jose's squad had a fifth place finish and the dullest football ever seen in these parts, so why include the money Moyes and LVG spent when judging Mourinho?

Also, Jose improved as the season went on and the damage to our league chances was done early with way too many home draws. Moyes though got gradually worse and worse as the season went on.

Huge difference no matter how you spin it.

Last edited:

yfoFC

I would have done a better job. The next 3 people that post after me would have. That Nigerian prince looking for money to get back to his homeland to claim his fortune also would have.

Seriously time for him to move on with his life.
*cough*:mad:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

He had a tough task, an ageing squad past it's prime, average youngsters and a failed transfer window.
This is nonsense right up there with the twaddle that Fergie left as he knew itd blow up.

Moyes took over not only champions but a team who had strolled the league. He joined and was full of talk of how good they were and pure champions through and through. As he struggled he started revising their level until near the end it was like we'd need Ronaldo kroos and bale type signings to give us a chance.

The squad was good enough to compete. As a minimum top 4. To finish 7th and be beaten by his old team said it all.

We finished 6th last year yes. Still higher than moyes even picking the team up from a way weaker position and having sacrificed the league in the last month to win th cup.
Not to metion transfer fees have escalated wildly since moyes days.

Only absolutely deluded fools would think even a half decent manager couldn't have done better than 7th picking up the champs

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You're speaking bullshit as usual. We offered to Spurs more than Real did, so you're entire theory falls down there.
Offered what to whom?

Also that does stinks of Arsenal's nearly signed excuses

Last edited:

OneUnited24

Thats a poor argument. LvG spent a lot and formed a average squad. Moyes had a squad of champions but didnt know how to utilise them or how to assess the team and get players to plug the gaps.

Also from what i heard/understand many of the failed targets in that window was down to him wanting more time to look at the market. Passing on the likes of Tiago, Saul and Graey whilst being hung up on trying to sign a big name like Bale/Ronaldo/Fabregas.

Finally, i think our league position had something to do with us concentrating on Europe. While Jose will never admit to it i did feel around March when it was clear we wouldn't win the league he focused on winning something and getting into the UCL that way.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It just goes to show what a great job Jose is doing.
Moyes came in and broke the squad confidence to the point that the biggest names couldn't get away quickly enough. Then another loony was appointed and he broke what was left of the squad, and even broke the new players he brought in himself. If I could I'd line them both up against a wall and put them out of their miseries (and my memory). Thank you Jose!

Fener1907

Yes, I took over the champions, but clubs like Chelsea and Man City spent huge amounts of that money that summer in a bid to overtake us.
Wouldn't like to delve further into how United also finished behind Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton and Spurs.

Having said that, things would have been a lot different if we had landed our main transfer targets.
What "big players" would want to play for him.

You only have to see how much money they have spent over the last three years just to build a team capable of challenging for the title again to see how difficult the job was.
Made far more difficult by his inability to keep the veterans onside and failure to bring in good players.

In conclusion, same old shit.

It just goes to show what a great job Jose is doing.
Moyes came in and broke the squad confidence to the point that the biggest names couldn't get away quickly enough. Then another loony was appointed and he broke what was left of the squad, and even broke the new players he brought in himself. If I could I'd line them both up against a wall and put them out of their miseries (and my memory). Thank you Jose!
Yup!

MoskvaRed

It's the football wasteland known as the international break and you're a journalist with a deadline desperately trying to fill some column inches. You've already run a list of the 50 best goals/saves/corners in Premier League history. As the last roll of the dice, you can always call up Moyes for a guaranteed whinge story about United.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
What is this guy smoking? The club has only just recovered from the damage the he did. If he thinks Mourinho, Ancelotti, Simeone, Conte etc would finish 7th after winning the league at a canter then he has genuinely lost the plot.

To be fair though no one will ever know.

JohnnyKills

I can imagine a very bitter Moyes at age 90 sat in a wooden rocking chair beside a roaring fire with his great grandchildren around him saying " You know I was once Manchester united manager if only they'd have given me more time.....the end"
Knowing Moyes his grandkids will get bored of his rambling and turn on him

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
You don't even hide your bias anymore.

One of those opposition posters on here that shouldn't be taken seriously.
Username says it all. It's not real world he is living in.

Irrational.

What about the two trophies, or are you just going to conveniently forget that? Also Jose attracted the kinds of players that Moyes could only dream of bringing to the club.