Moyes So Far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Remember that rumour about an announcement due today, supposedly about Rio's retirement? Maybe there will be some kind of statement about something.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
But why? None of Silva, Nasri, Aguero or Negredo are blessed with blistering pace but Pellegrini is happy to use them as a front four because he can count on them to outplay most defences. Why can't Moyes trust the attacking talent at his disposal? In east Manchester there is a tactical blueprint that in Mata, Januzaj, Rooney and Van Persie we have the players to copy. Why don't we? Instead of fretting over how other teams can hurt us why don't we impose ourselves on them?
Nasri and Aguero are both extremely quick.

Re the four players in bold, the only one who isn't a guaranteed starter these days is Januzaj.

There's two likely reasons for this. Moyes may be using sparingly to avoid burning out someone so young. It's also very possible he's having a dip in form. He's not been great coming off the bench recently and did absolutely nothing last night. This is to be expected from someone so young. Crazy to expect him to maintain the brilliant form of the earlier part of the season.

Adebesi

Wasn't it the official toothpick of Manchester United Soccer club?
Well who is the official toothpick partner, dammit?

Re the four players in bold, the only one who isn't a guaranteed starter these days is Januzaj.

There's two likely reasons for this. Moyes may be using sparingly to avoid burning out someone so young. It's also very possible he's having a dip in form. He's not been great coming off the bench recently and did absolutely nothing last night. This is to be expected from someone so young. Crazy to expect him to maintain the brilliant form of the earlier part of the season.
What's that? Its Kagawa O'clock?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

What's the threshold for extremely quick? Neither Nasri or Aguero are in the Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale, Aaron Lennon, Theo Walcott bracket of quick. Aguero does have good accleration in terms of going from a standing start to full speed but he's not lightning fast and Nasri is slower than him.

Man City do not play at breakneck speed, its one of the reasons Chelsea outran them so easily: Willian, Hazard etc. are rapid. City rely on their ability to dominate the ball and make their opposition chase to open gaps. More often than not they succeed too. United could do something similar with the players we have. Lord knows lightning counters weren't a feature of our play last season either but we won the league.

As for Mata, Rooney, Van Persie starting its more than just personnel as the Fulham game showed. We're not playing them in the same shape that first Mancini and now Pellegrini use for City's front four, which actually shapes up more like Brazil's 'magic quartet' of yesteryear. Thank God we are moving away from the cross it like its going out of fashion stuff but we aren't putting out front four in a position where they can play off one another. Instead its 3 close and one hugging the touchline meaning we dont have enough people close together at anyone time to do what City do. There's a man spare to cover our attackers because our (usually) right winger stays wide so the defenders dont have to worry about him.

Last edited:

Stretch

Imagine the meltdown if he even hinted at this with 13 games left!
I don't even think there will be a meltdown. I think even the most optimistic fan will admit that there is no race for 4th, instead there's a 4 way scrap for the title at the moment. It will help to relieve some of the pressure on the team which could see the team play with more freedom and going back to basics.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Why don't we? Instead of fretting over how other teams can hurt us why don't we impose ourselves on them?
That's been my biggest issue this season.

The issue could emanate from preparing the team for each game/opponent with too much emphasis given to opposition strengths. I've said a number of times rather than change of manager we need to maybe look at our coaching structure/team. Sir Alex delegated most of the football side to his Rene and Phelan. Moyes needs to look at his inner circle of coaches and assess if they are up to the task needed at United. If United are loathe to change managers then that maybe the avenue needed for change.

Mersault

Pace is all the more valuable when combined with dribbling. Our 3 fastest players with the ball are probably Evra, Tony and Rafa. And we don't have a midfield that allows for high pressing and quick movement so we rely on players carrying the ball forward more often

Adebesi

Is there anyone else that thinks Moyes should come out and state that we're not in the race for 4th anymore? Yes, it's obvious but the players comments, his comments suggest that's still the objective. I think he should take the pressure off and it can do wonders.
I think the way everything Moyes says is currently analysed to the Nth degree and more often than not criticised, there would be a meltdown about it. "How dare he say these players are out of the running for 4th? That is essentially saying these players are not good enough to win all their remaining games and subliminally undermine Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton with their mystical powers of the mind. He is calling them rubbish, that is awful man management, he has definitely lost the dressing room now. SAF would never have thrown the towel in publicly, no way." And on and on.

Sultan

Another big gripe for me this season was not using the nothing cup to blood some youngsters and use the squad.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
That's been my biggest issue this season.

The issue could emanate from preparing the team for each game/opponent with too much emphasis given to opposition strengths. I've said a number of times rather than change of manager we need to maybe look at our coaching structure/team. Sir Alex delegated most of the football side to his Rene and Phelan. Moyes needs to look at his inner circle of coaches and assess if they are up to the task needed at United. If United are loathe to change managers then that maybe the avenue needed for change.
I agree with this but does Moyes?

Moyes hasn't given much of an indication that he thinks our preparation for games isn't good. From what the Everton players have said since he left Moyes put a lot of emphasis on how to stop others but not much on how to beat them, and if you believe Andy Mitten's columns some of our players think Moyes is too conservative.

I would like Moyes to come out of his shell a bit and realise attack is our best defence. But I'm doubtful he will. I honestly feel he thinks our season has gone sour because of bad luck and not because we've not done enough, in too many games, to give our opposition something to worry about. He's had guys like Round with him for years I don't see him moving them on now. Its Moyes who is going to have to change or else its United who will change or have to change Moyes to avoid doing so.

Sultan

Moyes hasn't given much of an indication that he thinks our preparation for games isn't good. From what the Everton players have said since he left Moyes put a lot of emphasis on how to stop others but not much on how to beat them, and if you believe Andy Mitten's columns some of our players think Moyes is too conservative.

I would like Moyes to come out of his shell a bit and realise attack is our best defence. But I'm doubtful he will. I honestly feel he thinks our season has gone sour because of bad luck and not because we've not done enough, in too many games, to give our opposition something to worry about. He's had guys like Round with him for years I don't see him moving them on now. Its Moyes who is going to have to change or else its United who will change or have to change Moyes to avoid doing so.
Let's see what gives or changes. However gloomy, it's interesting times in a weird way.

Last edited:

Stretch

I think the way everything Moyes says is currently analysed to the Nth degree and more often than not criticised, there would be a meltdown about it. "How dare he say these players are out of the running for 4th? That is essentially saying these players are not good enough to win all their remaining games and subliminally undermine Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton with their mystical powers of the mind. He is calling them rubbish, that is awful man management, he has definitely lost the dressing room now. SAF would never have thrown the towel in publicly, no way." And on and on.
Well I don't think he should care about our rants on the caf since ultimately if it will assist the team itself he should do it, even if it's unpopular.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Another big gripe for me this season was not using the nothing cup to blood some youngsters and use the squad.
When there's that much pressure on Moyes, I'm not surprised he took the time to use more youth. Knowing him, he'd have been slated for using youth instead of first teamers for the only competition we stood a chance of winning.

Kaos

In case we're unfortunate enough to qualify for the Europa league, we can always use it as an exotic version of the mickey mouse cup for the youngsters!

Suedesi

http://www.sos1878.co.uk/everton-fans/an-open-letter-to-david-moyes/

Dear Mr Moyes,

I have a very simple question for you: how long are you going to have the nerve to remain as manager of Everton FC?

I have watched Everton for 50 years and I can honestly say that the football we are currently being subjected to is the worst I have ever seen us play. This isn't a new problem; we've been gradually on the slide since we lost the FA Cup final. You have sold any flair players we've had and have claimed it has been your decision to do so. Pienaar, Arteta, Yakubu (who apparently could have gone to West Ham for a reported 6 million pounds and then was sold for peanuts a few months later).

A reported 14 million pound bid for Jagielka was rejected but you deemed 10 million to be enough for our best player. Beckford was moved on after a decent first season yet Anichebe who has never looked like a Premier League player is awarded a long contract. Denis and Drenthe were brought in but hardly get any game time while Saha and Cahill plod on looking well past their sell by dates.

We hear that Barkley is something special but never see him. The style of football is so negative it is beyond belief. This club has a proud history and a reputation for playing attractive football. We didn't get the nickname of ‘School of Science’ for no reason. The greatest centre forward that ever played the game played for Everton and we built a reputation around that position.The number nine shirt at Everton means something to fans of this club, we expect to have top class centre forwards on the pitch every week and not sat on the bench while we attempt to eke out a one nil win or even a nil nil draw. Nil Satis seems to have been thrown in the bin nowadays at Everton.

We play games with no strikers on the pitch, something we don’t see from any other team. I remember you saying that if you ever lose the fans you would leave the club. Well believe me, Mr Moyes, you are seriously losing the fans as the dwindling attendances show.

If Everton played football worth watching the ground would be full every game. We constantly hear that David Moyes has worked wonders with little money. Sorry but that doesn't wash: when you have had money it’s been wasted. Kroldrup, Heitinga, Bilyaletdino all spring to mind. Paul Lambert at Norwich and Brendan Rodgers at Swansea are living proof that you don’t need bags of money to compete at this level; it’s not the players you have on the pitch but it’s the way you tell them to play the game.

Every team can play passing, attacking football no matter how much money they've spent; the two teams I mentioned prove it and believe me, they are both far more exciting to watch than David Moyes’ Everton. You have turned strikers like Beattie, Johnson and Yakubu from being top class goalscorers into ordinary players by asking them to play wide chasing hopeful long punts from the back. Sorry but that’s not a centre forwards job, you provide service to any striker and they will score goals. And the place where they are most effective is in the penalty area, not by the corner flag. It appears that you have decided that the Moyes way is the way Everton are going to play even though it’s clearly not working, over half the season gone and not a single performance to get excited about.

There’s a saying that if something isn't broken then don’t fix it, well the fact is that Everton is broken almost beyond repair and it needs major surgery, and that involves change. The system we adopt doesn't work and needs to be altered. There are talented players at the club who don’t get enough game time. Saha isn't scoring goals yet keeps his place but Denis gets 4 or 5 minutes at the end of games. Give him a run of 10 games and then we’ll see if he’s going to be good enough.

Lets see Drenthe given a regular start because he clearly has the ability and is a naturally attacking player. It’s pointless starting him one in every four games, that isn't doing him or the team any favors. I've heard that he has to learn to develop his game and up his work ethic and learn to defend more because that’s the Everton way. Well I beg to differ, the Everton way is not to have your attack minded players turn into work rate zombies, if Drenthe is attack minded then leave him attack minded because that's how you win football matches.

Sadly, it appears that our priority is to not lose games rather than to win them and it’s simply not good enough. We see your after match interviews and you constantly tell us that we have played well when it’s clear for all to see that we have not only not played well, but we've been absolutely woeful week after week. That is treating the fans that work hard to pay your wages like fools and they deserve better. How can you seriously expect people to keep putting their hands in their pockets to watch the dreadful anti football that you have Everton serving up every week?

The fans aren't fools and they wont be treated that way as you are seeing by the numbers that are staying away. Even in our dark days when we were in relegation fights we did the one thing that your team doesn't do, we played attacking football. It seems the only option we have for getting the ball forward now is the big hoof up the pitch and it’s not acceptable. Fans would accept results going against us if they were watching good football but take it from me, as much as it pains me to say it, Everton play the most awful football to watch in the league without a shadow of a doubt.

I honestly don't know how you have the nerve to stay at the club being paid an enormous salary and making no apparent effort to put things right or change the way we play. I can assure you that I take no pleasure whatsoever in writing this letter but it’s the only way I can let off steam because I’m watching your tactics slowly destroy my club and it hurts.

Ten years at the club and no trophies whatsoever says to me that you have outstayed your welcome. Please do the decent thing and make way for somebody who wants to give the fans good football and some hope. We don’t want our teams ambition to be to finish anywhere above 17th every year but that’s the impression that you give now. We’re sinking fast and its time for change…….please.

Suedesi

Dear Mr Moyes,

I have a very simple question for you: how long are you going to have the nerve to remain as manager of Everton FC?

I have watched Everton for 50 years and I can honestly say that the football we are currently being subjected to is the worst I have ever seen us play. This isn't a new problem; we've been gradually on the slide since we lost the FA Cup final. You have sold any flair players we've had and have claimed it has been your decision to do so. Pienaar, Arteta, Yakubu (who apparently could have gone to West Ham for a reported 6 million pounds and then was sold for peanuts a few months later).

A reported 14 million pound bid for Jagielka was rejected but you deemed 10 million to be enough for our best player. Beckford was moved on after a decent first season yet Anichebe who has never looked like a Premier League player is awarded a long contract. Denis and Drenthe were brought in but hardly get any game time while Saha and Cahill plod on looking well past their sell by dates.

We hear that Barkley is something special but never see him. The style of football is so negative it is beyond belief. This club has a proud history and a reputation for playing attractive football. We didn't get the nickname of ‘School of Science’ for no reason. The greatest centre forward that ever played the game played for Everton and we built a reputation around that position.The number nine shirt at Everton means something to fans of this club, we expect to have top class centre forwards on the pitch every week and not sat on the bench while we attempt to eke out a one nil win or even a nil nil draw. Nil Satis seems to have been thrown in the bin nowadays at Everton.

We play games with no strikers on the pitch, something we don’t see from any other team. I remember you saying that if you ever lose the fans you would leave the club. Well believe me, Mr Moyes, you are seriously losing the fans as the dwindling attendances show.

If Everton played football worth watching the ground would be full every game. We constantly hear that David Moyes has worked wonders with little money. Sorry but that doesn't wash: when you have had money it’s been wasted. Kroldrup, Heitinga, Bilyaletdino all spring to mind. Paul Lambert at Norwich and Brendan Rodgers at Swansea are living proof that you don’t need bags of money to compete at this level; it’s not the players you have on the pitch but it’s the way you tell them to play the game.

Every team can play passing, attacking football no matter how much money they've spent; the two teams I mentioned prove it and believe me, they are both far more exciting to watch than David Moyes’ Everton. You have turned strikers like Beattie, Johnson and Yakubu from being top class goalscorers into ordinary players by asking them to play wide chasing hopeful long punts from the back. Sorry but that’s not a centre forwards job, you provide service to any striker and they will score goals. And the place where they are most effective is in the penalty area, not by the corner flag. It appears that you have decided that the Moyes way is the way Everton are going to play even though it’s clearly not working, over half the season gone and not a single performance to get excited about.

There’s a saying that if something isn't broken then don’t fix it, well the fact is that Everton is broken almost beyond repair and it needs major surgery, and that involves change. The system we adopt doesn't work and needs to be altered. There are talented players at the club who don’t get enough game time. Saha isn't scoring goals yet keeps his place but Denis gets 4 or 5 minutes at the end of games. Give him a run of 10 games and then we’ll see if he’s going to be good enough.

Lets see Drenthe given a regular start because he clearly has the ability and is a naturally attacking player. It’s pointless starting him one in every four games, that isn't doing him or the team any favors. I've heard that he has to learn to develop his game and up his work ethic and learn to defend more because that’s the Everton way. Well I beg to differ, the Everton way is not to have your attack minded players turn into work rate zombies, if Drenthe is attack minded then leave him attack minded because that's how you win football matches.

Sadly, it appears that our priority is to not lose games rather than to win them and it’s simply not good enough. We see your after match interviews and you constantly tell us that we have played well when it’s clear for all to see that we have not only not played well, but we've been absolutely woeful week after week. That is treating the fans that work hard to pay your wages like fools and they deserve better. How can you seriously expect people to keep putting their hands in their pockets to watch the dreadful anti football that you have Everton serving up every week?

The fans aren't fools and they wont be treated that way as you are seeing by the numbers that are staying away. Even in our dark days when we were in relegation fights we did the one thing that your team doesn't do, we played attacking football. It seems the only option we have for getting the ball forward now is the big hoof up the pitch and it’s not acceptable. Fans would accept results going against us if they were watching good football but take it from me, as much as it pains me to say it, Everton play the most awful football to watch in the league without a shadow of a doubt.

I honestly don't know how you have the nerve to stay at the club being paid an enormous salary and making no apparent effort to put things right or change the way we play. I can assure you that I take no pleasure whatsoever in writing this letter but it’s the only way I can let off steam because I’m watching your tactics slowly destroy my club and it hurts.

Ten years at the club and no trophies whatsoever says to me that you have outstayed your welcome. Please do the decent thing and make way for somebody who wants to give the fans good football and some hope. We don’t want our teams ambition to be to finish anywhere above 17th every year but that’s the impression that you give now. We’re sinking fast and its time for change…….please.

Oh dear, this is a nightmare. Have a look at the comments section on that website, and weep.

We are fckd with the wrinkly faced t!t in charge.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Dear Mr Moyes,

Just about says it all. Its exactly what we are seeing again here with us, the sooner he is gone the better.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Nasri isn't extremely quick, not by any stretch of the word.

Aguero's fast but more importantly extremely agile.

Nasri's good at shifting his body shape and dribbling but extremely quick? No way. You're clueless if you think so. Go watch him play. In fact I'd say his lack of raw pace is the main thing lacking from his attacking game, more of a weakness than a strength.

reelworld

I think hoping for Moyes to change is wishful thinking.
He's been a manager for almost 20 years, he already set his mind on his way of doing things. He already reached this position doing what he thinks is best, why do you think he can changed that thought process because one bad season. Also, he may have some new ideas for all we know, but naturally, when the going gets though, people would fall back to what they know best. I think that's what we're seeing with Moyes this season. He doesn't have the courage to try new things cause he can't risk of us going worse by using the unknown. However by sticking to what he knows situation would not improve. It's a vicious circle that he put himself in. I pessimistic that he can get out of it, but hey I don't think we have much choice do we?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The comments form the Everton fans are a lot like ours right now.

Aye and fans know best, right?
Royston Drenthe. Currently playing for Reading FC, after they signed him on a free this summer. 12 games played. 0 goals. 0 assists.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Most of the comments bang on about the budget being why he was limited to the style of football they played. So why does Martinez have them playing exciting football, and why has Moyes got us playing like we are? He's spent over 60 million on 2 players, something he's never managed to do. He's got world class players here but doesn't seem to know what to do with them.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Most of the comments bang on about the budget being why he was limited to the style of football they played. So why does Martinez have them playing exciting football, and why has Moyes got us playing like we are? He's spent over 60 million on 2 players, something he's never managed to do. He's got world class players here but doesn't seem to know what to do with them.
Exactly, the budget and his style of play are two different things unrelated.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Nasri isn't extremely quick, not by any stretch of the word.

Aguero's fast but more importantly extremely agile.

Nasri's good at shifting his body shape and dribbling but extremely quick? No way. You're clueless if you think so. Go watch him play. In fact I'd say his lack of raw pace is the main thing lacking from his attacking game, more of a weakness than a strength.
Nope. You're wrong. He's quick.

Was reported to be the second quickest player at Arsenal (behind Walcott) during his time there.

Nice waffle about body shape though. Almost had me convinced.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Nope. You're wrong. He's quick.

Was reported to be the second quickest player at Arsenal (behind Walcott) during his time there.

Nice waffle about body shape though. Almost had me convinced.
I'm happy to be proven wrong about this. Feel free to show me the stats and I'll hold my hand up.

Status
Not open for further replies.