Moyes So Far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rednails

We should do like John Henry did with Arsenal - publicly ridicule the Chelsea offer. And we should copy Brendan Rogers and say categorically that Rooney has been told he is going nowhere and that he trains with the reserves until his attitude changes. Better to be clear and firm than let Rooney and the press run the story.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We should do like John Henry did with Arsenal - publicly ridicule the Chelsea offer. And we should copy Brendan Rogers and say categorically that Rooney has been told he is going nowhere and that he trains with the reserves until his attitude changes. Better to be clear and firm than let Rooney and the press run the story.
Thing is, Liverpool are really worried they'll lose Suarez. With Rooney, we've remained calm and don't feel the need to continuously express our stance.

Will Absolute

I'm a little consoled for our lacklustre performance in pre-season by what's happening in Helsinki at the moment - Arsenal are crushing Man City 3-0!

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Just reading this thread and I'm seeing post saying, "If we lose tomorrow" etc, etc. I don't know what planet I have been living on of late, because for some reason unknown to me, I have been thinking the game is next Sunday. WTF? :lol:

Get the feck in, match day tomorrow.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Moyes knows we just need 1 midfielder really to have real balance in the team. He knows we still have a few weeks to get that player and that the best time to bid will be towards the end of the window shutting when teams will be more likely to sell at a slightly reduced price to what they might want in this moment.....I think Moyes knows he needs a box to box goal scoring playmaker but theres no gaurentees he'll find someone....I think he will get the right player and if not then he knows the team will still challenge for trophies.....and he'll buy fellaini to bring more depth to the squad...I think moyes will have a good first season
I've read a lot of bullshit transfer pieces regarding us over the summer but the one think they all report is that Moyes thinks we need two midfielders, one an attacking goalscorer, the other a more disciplined player. I suspect that this is something that Moyes admitted to the journalists, particularly as the more reliable ones (Ogden and Ducker) reported it right after they had an interview with Moyes. So, logically, that means that only signing one of those midfielders will make it a truly disappointing summer for the manager. If he doesn't think one is good enough, why should we?

I do think we'll definitely get one and (depending on who that player is) that may well be enough to win us the league (it would certainly make us very competitive). Two would have been the ideal though, something I think Moyes knows too.

Ash_G

I think if we had to get one right now my preference would be cover for carrick. I think we can win the league with carrick plus clev/ando/giggs as long as everyone else performs, but if Carrick is injured, regardless of who we brought in on the creative side we'd have a big problem imo. So far we've only seen proof of him looking for a creative player, but I think he said he wanted two so fingers crossed. I think if he can get that sorted then he can look to just grind out performances for the first few months whilst the team is settling then we can look to get the team playing good stuff.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

we are a business. There's no way the franchise will allow a 30-40m investment to leave on free. So in few words no one will call our bluff. Roooonneeeey has got us by the balls.

Sam

I really wish, rather then asking all these pointless Rooney questions, someone from the press would just ask what the feck we're playing at with the midfield.

Ash_G

I really wish, rather then asking all these pointless Rooney questions, someone from the press would just ask what the feck we're playing at with the midfield.

Yeah would be nice if it came up more in terms of questions, and would like someone to ask what's happening with Nani. Honestly would be so disappointed if we lose Nani and Rooney this summer without some major signing.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Took the the club, already gave youngsters a good run in pre-season games, made Rooney his bitch, told him to shut up, said he will pursue the best and that's what he's doing, now. Interest in Ronaldo and Fabregas confirmed plus apparently there may be more targets, in that regard.

The only thing that can be worrying is the same, old Sir Alex's nightmare - injury plague treatment which may eventually happen and it creates a serious challenge for the whole new staff. Thankfully Rooney and Nani are still in the club, while Varela and Zaha are adding to team's depth.

Moyes, by adding two more quality players (or maybe even more) will probably have a team capable of defending the crown and easily going through CL group stage, like a storm.

4/5 so far. When the right choices shall be made on the market, with maybe a convincing win over Wigan, it will easily become a 5/5 as a little, pre-season judgement.
To be honest 4/5 is abit too high for now, this has been one of the worst pre-seasons I've ever experienced, but saying that I still believe we will be successful under Moyes, if given more time. I will only judge him after the season ends.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yeah, and while they're at it, they can shove the implicit assumption that the whole of the country is mostly concerned about English national team matters when it comes to the debate over Rooney.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
We went through something like this in the US when Bill Walsh stepped down and handed the playbook to George Siefert. Seifert went on to win the Super Bowl in his first year as 49ers head coach.

Our demise, in the post-Ferguson era, is not written into stone.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think Moyes has been dealt a really shit hand so far: central midfield issue, Fergie putting the boot in with Rooney before leaving, change of CEO.

I definitely agree with you there. I am not expecting too much as long as we get in the CL. If we haven't signed any midfielders then no CL next season will make it just about impossible to sign quality.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Jonny Evans: "The staff have been excellent since they came in. There has been a really smooth transition. Nothing has been changed too much. It has just been a case of putting their own style on how we train."

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
We went through something like this in the US when Bill Walsh stepped down and handed the playbook to George Siefert. Seifert went on to win the Super Bowl in his first year as 49ers head coach.

Our demise, in the post-Ferguson era, is not written into stone.

. I think we will be fine this year. The senior players should be able to help Moyes and we will challenge for the title and hopefully win it.

I think Moyes will find it very hard to sustain success. Fergie was the last great manager in Europe to sustain success at the one club.

Managers dont just stick around anymore or get long term backing.

Who is the second longest serving manager after Wenger? Alan Pardew. :lol::houllier:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
To be honest 4/5 is abit too high for now, this has been one of the worst pre-seasons I've ever experienced, but saying that I still believe we will be successful under Moyes, if given more time. I will only judge him after the season ends.
Worst pre-season, you've ever experienced... are you sure about that ?

Apart from Fletcher, we have a healthy squad, nobody got seriously injured and youngsters had loads of time on the pitch. Even Ando and Clev had no complications. Is it really so bad ? ...because the only worry, now can be our rusty defense, at times but even that may improve without spending on Garay.

All we need is a one wise deal, maybe two and we'll have a team, even stronger than season ago... that was the team that won Premiership, 11 points clear.

This pre-season is all about youngsters and it shows that a new strength is being born for future, with Zaha and Januzaj, ahead.

Lance Uppercut

The press are dying for him to fail. It is pretty funny if you can put aside how pathetic these turds actually are.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Our games have been in testing conditions against teams far fitter than us at this current time. Those games will have brought us on a tonne and I expect our fitness to go up a notch or two within the next two weeks or three weeks. We've trained very hard in between our pre-season fixtures which would also excuse some of our perceived lacklustre performances.

We're going just fine at the moment. Once we reinforce the squad with a signing or two, Moyes' reign will be looking very rosy indeed.

manusteve

Our games have been in testing conditions against teams far fitter than us at this current time. Those games will have brought us on a tonne and I expect our fitness to go up a notch or two within the next two weeks or three weeks. We've trained very hard in between our pre-season fixtures which would also excuse some of our perceived lacklustre performances.

We're going just fine at the moment. Once we reinforce the squad with a signing or two, Moyes' reign will be looking very rosy indeed.
Our central midfield is average. I hope we buy soon, because our transfer efforts have become a fecking joke.

Comsmit

I understand where you are coming from but fitness doesn't tend to win games, great football does. What I have seen so far in pre-season is not wholly impressive, particularly the organisation of the team when not in possession. Yes other teams have been more match fit but they have also been of a much lesser standard than Manchester United, and still caused us a number of problems. Fitness isn't a major concern for me, it's organisation, direction and confidence, which on the surface looks a little lacking.

A lot of work still to do in a short space of time for me.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Tired bodies leads to tired minds. Fitness is a huge ingredient of good football. Once our fitness levels increase, our overall play will improve too. Moyes has shown he likes to play attacking, expansive football with his team selections thus far. The emergence of Januzaj, Lingard and Zaha is another huge positive as all three have been given the platform to shine. That simply wouldn't happen if our football or tactics were dour.

Comsmit

Tired bodies leads to tired minds. Fitness is a huge ingredient of good football. Once our fitness levels increase, our overall play will improve too. Moyes has shown he likes to play attacking, expansive football with his team selections thus far. The emergence of Januzaj, Lingard and Zaha is another huge positive as all three have been given the platform to shine. That simply wouldn't happen if our football or tactics were dour.
Of course it is, but United are an incredibly fit squad as they have consistently proved over and over again. They cannot be tired during pre-season, far from it they should be stacked full of energy and enthusiasm. There was no summer tournament to contend with and no injuries to recover from.

I never said anything was dour, just lacking in organisation and direction which surprises me as I though Moyes would be plugging the gaps and making the team compact. He does like attacking football, Everton last season were much improved in the opposition half, but again they were much more compact than United.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'd kill to see that transfer strategy room! Fascinating to read about his level of detail involved in selecting players - things are obviously different at United than Everton though, a different budget to play with and much bigger squad to manage.

there are a lot of fans moaning about lack of signings, but in terms of depth we actually have a massive squad that needs to be trimmed. I am suprised that we havent seen anyone leave yet, but it seems that Moyes is wanting to take his time and look closely at what we have before making drastic changes.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
I'm talking theoretically of course, but buying a player is far from a complex business deal. Yes there is a lot to sort out regarding contracts, image rights, etc, but the basic principle of buying is pretty simple. 10 minutes might be an exaggeration as sometimes quite a few parties involved, but in principle:
Buyer: "I'm interested in X and have around £25m in mind"
Seller: "Thanks for the offer, but we don't wish to sell the player right now"
Buyer: "Could we tempt you if we up the offer to £30m"
Seller: "Thanks again, but £5m more is not going to change our minds"
Buyer: "Everyone has a price, I think we can probably stretch to £35m"
Seller: "I'll speak to the manager and get back to you"
Quick call to manager
Seller: "The manager doesn't want to sell either, but there are a couple of areas in the team we could improve, but will not sell for less than £40m"
Buyer: "I'll have a quick word with the owners"
Quick call to owners
Buyer: "We'll meet in the middle at £37.5m"
Seller: "Go on then, but we'll want a 10% sell-on clause"
Buyer "Fine, it's a deal!"
What does this have to do with Moyes?

Phil

I can't be arsed to find the original post and quote it but wow, that is brilliant. Being the head of a football club is a piece of piss!

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I'm talking theoretically of course, but buying a player is far from a complex business deal. Yes there is a lot to sort out regarding contracts, image rights, etc, but the basic principle of buying is pretty simple. 10 minutes might be an exaggeration as sometimes quite a few parties involved, but in principle:
Buyer: "I'm interested in X and have around £25m in mind"
Seller: "Thanks for the offer, but we don't wish to sell the player right now"
Buyer: "Could we tempt you if we up the offer to £30m"
Seller: "Thanks again, but £5m more is not going to change our minds"
Buyer: "Everyone has a price, I think we can probably stretch to £35m"
Seller: "I'll speak to the manager and get back to you"
Quick call to manager
Seller: "The manager doesn't want to sell either, but there are a couple of areas in the team we could improve, but will not sell for less than £40m"
Buyer: "I'll have a quick word with the owners"
Quick call to owners
Buyer: "We'll meet in the middle at £37.5m"
Seller: "Go on then, but we'll want a 10% sell-on clause"
Buyer "Fine, it's a deal!"
fecking hell. Your login should be revoked after coming up with that shite.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Last years pre season was just as bad if not worse however being the new boy after taking over from Fergie the media will be on him all season and possibly longer, need the win today for him as much as the rest of us.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
I always knew with ferguson that everything he said was carefully considered and was in some way to the benefit of the club. This is why I believe that rooney being forced out was something that had been discussed and agreed between ferguson, moyes and the board in advance of him being dropped for the madrid game and ultimately saf going public. The reason for saf breaking the news was to ensure that this was not seen solely as a moyes decision, putting the clubs best player up for sale on your first day in the job would not go down well with the fans.
This also makes me think the "rooney second choice to van persie" gaffe may have been quite deliberate.

I don't yet have the same faith in moyes being so brilliantly strategic in his communications, and the way the fabregas interest was handled seemed to suggest that this isn't one of his strengths, but this is really the only thing that he can be criticised for as the attempt to sign fabregas in itself should be praised. He will bring in players and they'll be good players maybe great.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Worst pre-season, you've ever experienced... are you sure about that ?

Apart from Fletcher, we have a healthy squad, nobody got seriously injured and youngsters had loads of time on the pitch. Even Ando and Clev had no complications. Is it really so bad ? ...because the only worry, now can be our rusty defense, at times but even that may improve without spending on Garay.

All we need is a one wise deal, maybe two and we'll have a team, even stronger than season ago... that was the team that won Premiership, 11 points clear.

This pre-season is all about youngsters and it shows that a new strength is being born for future, with Zaha and Januzaj, ahead.
If we weight our pre-season in terms of players fitness, this is not a bad one at all. I only mean it in terms of our performance and results against minor teams, this has to be to one of the worst I could remember. But it isn't important though, I wouldn't give any rating too soon, like I said lets wait by the end of season to judge.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I've only watched the second half against Sevilla in this pre-season, have we shifted towards a more pressing style, as was Moyes' style at Everton (especially in the opposition half), or are we still sitting off and looking for counters?

Varun

Staff
How the feck did Gibbo manage to make it past all the reports and color codes to actually warrant a bid?

bit mofos

Status
Not open for further replies.