Moyes To Succeed Ferguson Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
skeeta said:
these are facts, not an opinion. Ferguson has been quoted as one of the best decisions he ever made in appointing Queiroz as assistant.

Remember 2002-2003. That was Queiroz, as much as SAF, if you believe the rumors. In 2001-2002, the team was easily the most talented in the EPL (Veron,Stam,van Nistelrooy and Co) . And it failed to bring home the title, conceding it to what SAF (and most United fans) still believe was a distinctly inferior Arsenal squad. Arsenal actually seemed like a better team in 2002-2003 before peaking in 2003-2004...but failed to win the title. In my mind, it's because of tactical improvement (and Rio, of course).
He might have been but il go with what plech says.. we need a winner.. someone who has done it at the highest level..dont know abt o niel.. but chelsea going for mournho was a fantastic decision.. you could tell the man has somethign abt him.. he didnt just win the portugese league he took them to CL glory and that was the important bit..

As for carlos i really dont know.. it was obvious after the 2002-2003 season everyone was in a great frame of mind, so praises were showered in all directions.. he might have had a lot to do with it.. but hes been there throughout this season and wev fallen flat so that nullifies the 03 success.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I'm with you re Queiroz too amol

So much shit is talked about him...none of us has a fecking clue what he has or hasn't done

He's certainly not been a more successful coach for us than Kiddo or MacLaren, but no-one's calling for them to be manager.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
amolbhatia100 said:
someone who has done it at the highest level..
As for carlos i really dont know.. it was obvious after the 2002-2003 season everyone was in a great frame of mind, so praises were showered in all directions.. he might have had a lot to do with it.. but hes been there throughout this season and wev fallen flat so that nullifies the 03 success.
exaclty, we need anyone who's proven at the highest level, who has won a couple of important trophies. personally, i dont like o'neill.
a "dream-candidate" imo would be ancelotti, but dont know about his age and if he would be available is another question!
i wouldnt fancy roy keane, he first should really gain some experience before taking over a club like united, he first has to prove that he's an excellent manager, and i am not sure about carlos. difficult to say

skeeta

Yet another rambling idiot
Queiroz has grown into a hugely influential figure - so much so that when things did not work out at Real, Ferguson wasted no time in reinstating him as his right-hand man at United. what does this tell you.

As for Queiroz replacing Fergie, they've said it before, I'll be very happy if it happens... :)

Plechazunga

skeeta said:
Queiroz has grown into a hugely influential figure - so much so that when things did not work out at Real, Ferguson wasted no time in reinstating him as his right-hand man at United. what does this tell you.
It tells me he's a good coach who Fergie gets on well with and respects

It tells me nothing whatsoever about how suitable he is for the manager's job, or how much of our success or lack of it is down to him

skeeta

Carlos vital to Reds plans

Fergie: I think it was one of my best-ever decisions, bringing him to the club. He's been absolutely outstanding.

”He's been a real revelation and it's been an eye-opener in terms of some of his preparation. He's so professional, so determined, he has great initiative about him,” the manager added.

Carlos is vital to Reds plans, in what capacity i dont know

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
Plechazunga said:
It tells me he's a good coach who Fergie gets on well with and respects

It tells me nothing whatsoever about how suitable he is for the manager's job, or how much of our success or lack of it is down to him
He knows our players well.

He understands the culture of United.

He has a big reputation of grooming young talents.

He has managed a team of superstars and commands respect out of them.

What more can you expect?

Plechazunga

skeeta said:
Fergie: I think it was one of my best-ever decisions, bringing him to the club. He's been absolutely outstanding.

”He's been a real revelation and it's been an eye-opener in terms of some of his preparation. He's so professional, so determined, he has great initiative about him,” the manager added.

Carlos is vital to Reds plans, in what capacity i dont know
No-one's doubting Fergie likes him

We need a proven winner as our manager though, someone who has actually successfully managed a football club

Vijay said:
He knows our players well.
It takes more than that...in fact, a fresh, unsentimantal new perspective would probably be good

He understands the culture of United.
So does the kit-man...do you want him as manager?

He has a big reputation of grooming young talents.
Are you Devilish in disguise? ;)

He has managed a team of superstars and commands respect out of them.
I don't think he commanded that much respect from them actually. And he failed at Madrid. I'm sure that wasn't entirely his fault, there are ifs and buts involved, but nevertheless we need a proven winner.

What more can you expect?
Someone with the credentials for the job.

skeeta

Plechazunga:
I don't think he commanded that much respect from them actually. And he failed at Madrid. I'm sure that wasn't entirely his fault, there are ifs and buts involved, but nevertheless we need a proven winner.

Once Real had managed to ship out every player that wasn't either a galactico or really bad, they had a squad of 21 players. Three of them were goalies. They had to call up youth players to play full size 11 on 11 training matches.

I really don't see how madrid can put too much blame on Quieroz. I'd like to see where Carlos's reign was predicted to end in terrible, predictable failure, when in march Madrid was in the final of the copa del rey, 8 points clear in La Liga and winning the first leg of the champions league.

Queiroz iwas being criticised for not rotating the squad enough by Marca and other important media commentators, all of whom choose to ignore that the curent crop from the youth sections are middling talents at best, the underused Javier Portillo aside.

scottish_red

Looking Busy said:
Alex McLeish.
No one will agree with me, but I think in the right league he will be a great manager
your right about one thing atleast, no one will ever agree to that!

skeeta

Insight: Carlos Queiroz

Here, in a unique insight into the way Carlos works, United's No.2 highlights the ten crucial qualities required at Manchester United...

LEADERSHIP IS ALL ABOUT LEADING BY EXAMPLE
First of all you need to have the expertise of the game; secondly the leadership qualities. You need to be a role model and have passion – you must, through your work process and your ideas, win respect and credibility and you only can do that if the quality of your work, the quality of your management, shows on a daily basis. If you do that, you can make your players better players and better people, and create the right environment and right atmosphere to win the trophies that everyone expects

FOLLOW YOUR INSTINCTS
I believe that sometimes when you follow your instincts you find the right track to be in your life. I was born in a sport environment, which helps a lot. My father was a football player and a coach and I think that guided me… sometimes these things you have inside you.

YOUNG TALENT IS THE SECRET FOR A BRIGHT FUTURE
When I arrived here the first time, it was a team that was established for some years playing together. This time it is different. Young players have come in, new additions to the squad since I left – Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Alan Smith. When I arrived here it was Rio Ferdinand, just one player that brought a big impact to the defensive line, but two years later we talk about a new team, a special, very young squad that creates a huge hope in terms of what we can achieve in the coming years. If you look at our defensive line we have fantastic players who are in their twenties, whereas Milan has a defensive line with players that are 35, 36 years old. You can imagine that in four, five, six years’ time, Mikael Silvestre, Ferdinand, Wes Brown, John O’Shea, Gabriel Heinze… all these players will have been playing together all those years. We have a fantastic group of players and the expectations for the future are enormous.

A CHAMPIONSHIP ISN’T OVER UNTIL IT’S OVER
We will fight until the end for sure. We’ll never quit until we have an impossible task in front of us but at this moment it is important to focus on ourselves. In every game we really believe that our duty is to play, win the three points and just keep going, because this is the only thing we can control. We can’t control what Chelsea will be doing in the championship. That is not part of our problem. But if we concentrate on our task and if we play consistent, solid football, and every game we get three points, then we will keep going forward and keep the pressure on Chelsea

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
like benitez IMO was a good move by liverpool.. the moment i heared the news i thought it was a smart move.. it might turn our just like houlliers stint did.. but he was of the top calibur..won titles with valencia..beat real to it.

Plechazunga

skeeta said:
Plechazunga:

Once Real had managed to ship out every player that wasn't either a galactico or really bad, they had a squad of 21 players. Three of them were goalies. They had to call up youth players to play full size 11 on 11 training matches.

I really don't see how madrid can put too much blame on Quieroz. I'd like to see where Carlos's reign was predicted to end in terrible, predictable failure, when in march Madrid was in the final of the copa del rey, 8 points clear in La Liga and winning the first leg of the champions league.

Queiroz iwas being criticised for not rotating the squad enough by Marca and other important media commentators, all of whom choose to ignore that the curent crop from the youth sections are middling talents at best, the underused Javier Portillo aside.
As I said, ifs and buts. I'm sure he was harshly treated. Nevertheless, we shouldn't gamble on a man who might, in an ideal world, have managed a club successfully for a year, but in fact didn't.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Im sorry but I cannot see why you would want O Neill as our manager. I mean what had he done in the past? Ok he made Leicester look less miserable, and then he went to Celtic (in a league where Miller looked like Roy Keane) and won some Mickey mouse cups but apart that, what had he done? He is nowhere as good as Mourinho, SAF or Wenger, he isn’t not even as good as Benitez ffs.

In my opinion the only three managers capable to succeed SAF are Capello, Wenger and Hitzfeld. These managers had already proved themselves in numerous occasions and have the right experience to lead a team of the stature of Manchester United. If these three managers aren’t available then Ill go for someone like Ancelotti but I would definitely not go for someone who is had only won in a mickey mouse league. We are talking about Manchester United not Newcastle or Tottenham

On the other hand it would be nice to have Roy Keano as a coach (I wouldn’t see him as an assistant manager maybe Robbo or Hughes would be great for that role but Keano is too inexperienced for that role) as much as I would like to see the Great Dane as our goalkeeper’s coach.

Plechazunga

He made Leicester a top-six side, with shite players. No mean feat. People also say they played horrible football but it's not true, they played it on the ground unless they were chasing, and the interplay between Izzet, Lennon, Guppy and Savage was often good.

Your point about the SPL being 'mickey-mouse' is nothing to do with it. You can only win in the league you're in. When he got there Celtic were in the doldrums, he made them winners. What else could he do.

He's very shrewd, a disciplinarian and an excellent coach. The only question-mark is whether he would buy well with a big budget.

devilish

There is an enormous difference between leading a small English Premiership side or Celtic (which are more or less at the same level) and leading Manchester United and personally I wouldn’t want O Neill to learn how to lead a really competitive side with us. Pls remember that there are managers who are only capable to lead small sides, where the pressure is low and where there aren’t any world class players to coach. A classic example is Del Neri who built a competitive side out of nothing with Chievo (a team made up of free transfers and youth players) but failed to make it with Porto and Roma.

I have nothing against O Neill. I mean if he goes to Arsenal or Liverpool and manage to win something important there than he would be in my good books. But I think its too premature to consider O Neill as our next manager. Leading Celtic in a mickey mouse league where ¾ of the managers still consider the long ball tactic as their main strategy is different from winning in the EPL.

Murt

devilish said:
Ok he made Leicester look less miserable, and then he went to Celtic (in a league where Miller looked like Roy Keane) and won some Mickey mouse cups but apart that, what had he done? He is nowhere as good as Mourinho, SAF or Wenger, he isn’t not even as good as Benitez ffs.

&

But I think its too premature to consider O Neill as our next manager. Leading Celtic in a mickey mouse league where ¾ of the managers still consider the long ball tactic as their main strategy is different from winning in the EPL
Would you have said the same about Fergie 20 yrs ago, who was in all fairness less qualified and less experienced than O'Neill is now?

Plechazunga

devilish said:
There is an enormous difference between leading a small English Premiership side or Celtic (which are more or less at the same level) and leading Manchester United and personally I wouldn’t want O Neill to learn how to lead a really competitive side with us. Pls remember that there are managers who are only capable to lead small sides, where the pressure is low and where there aren’t any world class players to coach. A classic example is Del Neri who built a competitive side out of nothing with Chievo (a team made up of free transfers and youth players) but failed to make it with Porto and Roma.
So the pressure of managing Celtic is low? Riiiiight....I suggest you watch Celtic-Rangers on Sunday. There's few clubs in the world where expectations of domestic success (at least) are higher. Add in the sectarian hatred and general vitriol of the rivalry with each other, and you may find the pressure of managing United is actually lower. Comparing it to managing Chievo or whatever is naive to say the least. Celtic and Rangers may be xomparatively weak sides (though O'Neill's taken some notable scalps in Europe), but they're massive clubs.

I have nothing against O Neill. I mean if he goes to Arsenal or Liverpool and manage to win something important there than he would be in my good books. But I think its too premature to consider O Neill as our next manager. Leading Celtic in a mickey mouse league where ¾ of the managers still consider the long ball tactic as their main strategy is different from winning in the EPL.
Who do you tthink we are? We can't test out our managers at Arsenal, let alone Liverpool. If they go there they are not going to leave for us. We have to take the same risks they do, as Arsenal did with Wenger.

Still thinking of a name

Plechazunga said:
He made Leicester a top-six side, with shite players. No mean feat. People also say they played horrible football but it's not true, they played it on the ground unless they were chasing, and the interplay between Izzet, Lennon, Guppy and Savage was often good.
Just like Everton now.

skeeta

I have nothing against O Neill, but could o neill lure top young talent aroung the world to work for him, could he make united play a brand of football which is on a par with rijkaard barcelona and antolotti ac milan side. Could o'neil make the telling subsitutions and tactical decisions to change the course of match against ac milan for example.

I have no problem with his ability to unite a team and create a potent team spirit, but against ac milan it showed we need more than that.

devilish

Plechazunga said:
So the pressure of managing Celtic is low? Riiiiight....I suggest you watch Celtic-Rangers on Sunday. There's few clubs in the world where expectations of domestic success (at least) are higher. Add in the sectarian hatred and general vitriol of the rivalry with each other, and you may find the pressure of managing United is actually lower. Comparing it to managing Chievo or whatever is naive to say the least. Celtic and Rangers may be xomparatively weak sides (though O'Neill's taken some notable scalps in Europe), but they're massive clubs.

Who do you tthink we are? We can't test out our managers at Arsenal, let alone Liverpool. If they go there they are not going to leave for us. We have to take the same risks they do, as Arsenal did with Wenger.
The SPL consist of two average clubs (Tottenham’s standard) and a bunch of third division teams. I know that the rivalry is high, but its nothing compared to the one witnessed in the Inter – Milan, Roma – Lazio, Real – Barcelona games. Regarding Chievo, its more difficult to reach top six in the Serie A with Chievo rather than win the SPL domestic treble. FFS we are talking about a league which pride of AC Milan, Inter, Juventus and Roma not Motherwell, Rangers and Aberdeen.

I believe that if Liverpool were able to sign a manager fresh from winning the Liga title and the UEFA cup and Chelsea were able to sign a manager who had just won the CL then we would be able to sign someone at least of that level. FFS we are Manchester United. We deserve to be lead by a finished product with all the experience needed to win something important and not someone who had proved himself in Disneyworld.

Lynott

devilish said:
He is nowhere as good as Mourinho, SAF or Wenger, he isn’t not even as good as Benitez ffs.
Idiotic statement re: Benitez

Lynott

devilish said:
Because he is clearly a fantastic manager who has won titles in Spain and cups in Europe.

You implied that he was not very good!

devilish

Lynott said:
Because he is clearly a fantastic manager who has won titles in Spain and cups in Europe.

You implied that he was not very good!
No Ive only stated that he is not as good as Mourinho, Capello and Wenger

Plechazunga

devilish said:
I know that the rivalry is high, but its nothing compared to the one witnessed in the Inter – Milan, Roma – Lazio, Real – Barcelona games.
You don't know shit

FFS we are talking about a league which pride of AC Milan, Inter, Juventus and Roma not Motherwell, Rangers and Aberdeen.
What?

devilish

Plechazunga said:
You don't know shit
Just check on the internet what the word ULTRAS mean. Di Canio has recently stated that the Roma derby cant be compared to anything. Maybe he doesnt know what he is talking about right?;)

Its easier to win something in the SPL with Celtic rather then win a Uefa place with Chievo.

JSV

woman-hating-mans-man(or sexist tw*t if you'd pref
Rangers-Celtic is bigger than Milan-Inter and as big as the other 2 devilish.

Plechazunga

devilish said:
Just check on the internet what the word ULTRAS mean. Di Canio has recently stated that the Roma derby cant be compared to anything. Maybe he doesnt know what he is talking about right?;)
I guess he doesn't. Or more likely, he's saying what will appeal to his fans. He's also a fecking lunatic. I know what the word Ultras means. No rivalry in football is more intense than Rangers-Celtic (though I assume the Turks kill each other slightly more).

Spoony

devilish said:
Not in my opinion.

It is. You won't find a family, where half them support Celtic, the other lot Rangers. Where as, I know of Milan and Inter supporters that come from the same family. Milan V Inter is just like any other derby, it simply can't compete with the hatred (and bigotry) of the Glasgow one. Anyone who thinks otherwise is mad.

devilish

Murt said:
Would you have said the same about Fergie 20 yrs ago, who was in all fairness less qualified and less experienced than O'Neill is now?
football has changed since then. THE SPL was tougher then, then now, our priorities are different + SAF had proved himself in Europe by winning the Cups winners cup something that O Neill hasnt been able to do

devilish

Plechazunga said:
I guess he doesn't. Or more likely, he's saying what will appeal to his fans. He's also a fecking lunatic. I know what the word Ultras means. No rivalry in football is more intense than Rangers-Celtic (though I assume the Turks kill each other slightly more).
Well we agree to disagree on that.

Regarding pressure its only about 2 games home and away. A club in the Serie A (let say Juventus) will have various games considered as 'hot' for example, Juventus - Roma, Juventus - Milan, Juventus - Fiorentina, Juventus - Torino *(at the moment torino are in the serie b) and Juventus - Inter. Every game is difficult and decisive. The Mickey mouse league offer only 2 'good' games (as stated both Celtic and Rangers are average clubs) apart from those games its all plain sailing.

Murt

devilish said:
The so called "ultras" are a pack of pussies.
Image Juve fans, waiting 20yrs for revenge, going to kill a couple they were and as if it wasnt enough they were knocked out by the kunts.
Yet not one bit of trouble in Turin :houllier:
The roughest thing i saw the ultras doing was writing angry poems about Liverpool,

Murt

devilish said:
football has changed since then. THE SPL was tougher then, then now, our priorities are different + SAF had proved himself in Europe by winning the Cups winners cup something that O Neill hasnt been able to do
O'Neill was very close to winning the UEFA cup, matched the great Porto team in the final only to loose by an odd goal.
In Fergies day their was hardly any non Scots playing in Scotland and the standard was if anything lower.
The fact is that O'Neill is every bit as qualified as Fergie was in 1986, open your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.