Moyes To Succeed Ferguson Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeta

Yet another rambling idiot
Keane16 said:
I think you'll find he wasn't even remotely interested in that shower of shite, not the other way around.
These clubs are all well decorated clubs, with a great tradition and history. Not once was he asked, not because he above these clubs, either

skeeta

Keane16 said:
How do you know he wasn't asked?
If he was approached, then it would have leeked once.

If O'neill is as good as you make out then, he would have been approached by all of these clubs, and at one stage or another who have been made public Knowledge.

o'neill has a history of walking into places, sacking everyone from top to bottom of the organisation and installing all his own staff in their place, to a much much greater degree than any other manager. fine if you have a club that needs turning around with a new start, but as long as our setup and organisation is working like it is then o'neill would be bad news in my opinion.

Keane16

Redcafe Minister for Guinness Therapy
skeeta said:

If O'neill is as good as you make out then, he would have been approached by all of these clubs, and at one stage or another who have been made public Knowledge.

o'neill has a history of walking into places, sacking everyone from top to bottom of the organisation and installing all his own staff in their place, to a much much greater degree than any other manager. fine if you have a club that needs turning around with a new start, but as long as our setup and organisation is working like it is then o'neill would be bad news in my opinion.
I remember him being linked with Spurs and City, and laughing at their cheek, as I'm sure he did too.

As far as his way of working, I have no idea. Fergie's not going for a while yet, O'Neill is clever enough and analytical enough to know who to keep and who to shove. He's also clever enough to turn United down, if they came knocking.

Re_Deus

Little Englander
Please hire Sven Goran Ericsson. Not only is he an excellent club coach, you'd also be doing England a favour by taking him. And that is a sincere suggestion. His record as a club manager is outstanding but he's never been suited to international football and I want to see him gone.

skeeta

Keane16 said:
I remember him being linked with Spurs and City, and laughing at their cheek, as I'm sure he did too.

As far as his way of working, I have no idea. Fergie's not going for a while yet, O'Neill is clever enough and analytical enough to know who to keep and who to shove. He's also clever enough to turn United down, if they came knocking.
The point I was making is that when Chelsea wanted a new manager, they went for the manager of the European Champions. When Liverpool wanted a new manager, they went for a manager with a proven track record in La Liga and with european pedigree. I don't believe that we should be looking at a one-season wonder or an SPL manager with only limited success (who, incidently, Lou Macari described as ideal for City. Say's it all, really).

I think it is pointless to make comparisons with United as we are today and United as we were in 1986, and certainly football itself has moved on dramatically. The jump from SPL to United or Everton to United is, in my opinion, too big to make, even if just for the size of the infrastructure.

Keane16

Redcafe Minister for Guinness Therapy
skeeta said:
The point I was making is that when Chelsea wanted a new manager, they went for the manager of the European Champions. When Liverpool wanted a new manager, they went for a manager with a proven track record in La Liga and with european pedigree. I don't believe that we should be looking at a one-season wonder or an SPL manager with only limited success (who, incidently, Lou Macari described as ideal for City. Say's it all, really).

I think it is pointless to make comparisons with United as we are today and United as we were in 1986, and certainly football itself has moved on dramatically. The jump from SPL to United or Everton to United is, in my opinion, too big to make, even if just for the size of the infrastructure.
I don't think it's that much of a jump for the right person, natural progression more like. As for Mourinho and Benitez, they have their strong points, as does O'Neill. I have a serious dislike of Mourinho and wouldn't like to see him at United - trophies or not.

O'Neill has fire, serious fire.

This pleases me.

redcharlie

Top Bloke
Lou Macari.........cracking little player that he was......and I remember him well, is hardly the sort of person to take advice from regards management skills.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
skeeta said:

Martin Ferguson

Darren Ferguson

Hmmm...

Im starting to like this O Neill. ;)

giggsyflying

Football is not life. It is more than life.
it seems that o'neil is getting away from being the best candidate
i cannot see any improvement from celtic
for example, can you see anyone will take the places of sutton, hartson and larrson?
no and i cannot see he develop any new players within the team

on the other hand, under moyes i think our team will become more boring
and i suspect his scotting ability

anyway the only one i consider acceptable is cappello at juve

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
VanNistelrater said:
But Ferguson has taken us to the very top level, competing for the league, expecting in Europe, 8 titles won in the last 10 years, thats an incredible record to follow. And with all the aura and legend that surrounds Ferguson, whoever takes over is going to have to have a decent CV in English or European Football, not...'once managed a decentish Leicester side and won a few titles in Scotland whilst competing with a piss poor Rangers side'.

Riijkard may be foreign but atleast he has the right Footballing philosophies, not that I advocate us really moving for him.

O'Neil is the paddies choice, no doubt.
It's difficult to get Riijkard out of Barcelona ..How about Mancini???..

O'Neill is a worthy contender but the only drawback is the quality of football subscribed by him. First choices are O'Neill or CQ, both no nonsense managers in any order of preference. If not we must look out for managers with experience in the continental football not some one like Moyes.

I also feel we must get hold of Koeman and Sparky in one way or the other.

skeeta

Queiroz being appointed, not only is it great idea with regards to the coaching side, it is fantastic for us in the transfer market. Portuguese, Spanish and Brazilian players will be far more likel to join us if Queiroz is there.. Without him we wouldn't have gotten Ronaldo and I'm sure Sergio Ramos and Athletico's Torres are more viable targets now that Queiroz has returned.

There is no way an 18 year old boy who spoke pigeon English would come to Man Utd without the influenece of Queiroz. He was instrumental in the transfer...

Spoony

skeeta said:
There is no way an 18 year old boy who spoke pigeon English would come to Man Utd without the influenece of Queiroz. He was instrumental in the transfer...

Ah so Bobby Robson and Hoddle must've been special cases then. God knows, why and how Viana and Postiga moved at such a young age.

devilish

1) Hitzfeld
2) Wenger
3) Capello
4) Hiddink

skeeta

Spoony said:
Ah so Bobby Robson and Hoddle must've been special cases then. God knows, why and how Viana and Postiga moved at such a young age.
It is funny how when Queiroz came to OT we start pinpointing a bunch of the top LATIN talent around,and having a realistic chance of capturing them.

Quaresma
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Kleberson

Spoony

skeeta said:
It is funny how when Queiroz came to OT we start pinpointing a bunch of the top LATIN talent around,and having a realistic chance of capturing them.

Quaresma
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Kleberson

Doesn't explain why Postiga and Viana moved to England in their teens though does it. Unless, Carlos helped them out that is.

Queresma top?
Kleberson top?

And what was Veron? japanese? Where the feck was Carlos then?

Enough of this bollocks.

skeeta

Spoony said:
Doesn't explain why Postiga and Viana moved to England in their teens though does it. Unless, Carlos helped them out that is.

Queresma top?
Kleberson top?

And what was Veron? japanese? Where the feck was Carlos then?

Enough of this bollocks.
Stop under-stating the appeal of queiroz on foreign talent,they will have a communication channel, as well as being able to fimiliarise themselves with his coaching techiniques and the style of football he is likely to adopt.

England is already one the least attractive and appealing for young latin/continental talent, let alone the climate, culture, language, and also having live in the north

Ronaldinho explains United snub
I will prefer the lifestyle in Barcelona, the way of life and the climate, too. It is not a good climate in Manchester."

Spoony

skeeta said:
Stop under-stating the appeal of queiroz on foreign talent,they will have a communication channel, as well as being able to fimiliarise themselves with his coaching techiniques and the style of football he is likely to adopt.

England is already one the least attractive and appealing for young latin/continental talent, let alone the climate, culture, language, and also having live in the north

Ronaldinho explains United snub
I will prefer the lifestyle in Barcelona, the way of life and the climate, too. It is not a good climate in Manchester."

Like I've said above, Carlos must've been helping Spurs and Newcastle out as well, seeing as they bought young Portuguese players, both that failed I must add.

Carlos, has already failed at a big club. He's had a sniff, and was found wanting. There's no chance in hell, United should risk him.

Re_Deus

Little Englander
Has nobody seriously considered my choice? Come on Mancs, Sven is a great manager and his record pisses all over the likes of Moyes, O'Neil, Quiroz (or whatever his name is), Koeman, Rijkaard and most of the others that have been mentioned.
I'm not taking the piss either. This is a serious suggestion and if you think about it, you'll also agree that he is the logical choice to succeed Ferguson.

skeeta

Spoony said:
Like I've said above, Carlos must've been helping Spurs and Newcastle out as well, seeing as they bought young Portuguese players, both that failed I must add.

Carlos, has already failed at a big club. He's had a sniff, and was found wanting. There's no chance in hell, United should risk him.
It would be incredibly niaive to make a statement like that if you are basing that on his one season at Real Madrid, where he was completely undermined, even to the extent where he said that Makelele was imperative to the team and yet the president still sold him! On this point alone, Queiroz has been proved right as Madrid have consequently spent the last 2 years trying to fill this role, be it with Viera, Gerrard or Gravesen.
He is the man who unearthed Rui Costa and Figo and also tipped Fergie off about Ronaldo.
He has managed the Portuguese national team, Sporting Lisbon, and the South African national team and he also knows the United set up and as coach, has a very close relationship with the players!

In March 2004, Queiroz manager of Real Madrid, were on the verge of their first treble in their history

They had King's Cup Final and the Spanish league well in hand (8 points clear) and winning the first leg of the champions league quarter-finals

Spoony

skeeta said:
It would be incredibly niaive to make a statement like that if you are basing that on his one season at Real Madrid,

I don't care. It proved he can't hack it at a big club, nor can he manage big stars.

He maybe a good coach, one that can unearth great talent. But a big club manager he is not.

Tell you what. Give me his club record. . .

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
skeeta said:
Why would we want the top LATIN talent, as opposed to other nations - for instance, Nordic, Dutch, Celtic or English players who in general have a better chance of performing well in the PL?

Quaresma
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Kleberson
We never wanted Quaresma
Ronaldinho, anyone could see was top class and Queiroz didn't exactly secure his purchase did he?
Kleberson's hardly top talent
Ronaldo, we already had a link-up with Sporting but yes maybe Carlos played a part.

But then, he'll be gone by 2007, off to Spain or Italy - like a lot of Latin players would be.

Spoony

I'll post his record.

(Sorry, but we'd have to be mad to risk him):

Educated at the University of Lisbon. After playing career in Mozambique, joined the Portuguese FA with responsibility for youth development.

1980: After playing career in Mozambique, first coaching job in soccer as youth team coach at Lisbon club Olivais.

1982: Youth team coach at Lisbon's Belenenses.

1983: Appointed assistant coach with Estoril in Portuguese second division.

1984: Joins the Portuguese Football Federation as an assistant coach for the country's youth teams.

1987: Takes over as coach of Portugal's youth teams.

1989: Portugal's under-20 side, managed by Queiroz, win World Youth Championship in Saudi Arabia.

1991: Queiroz introduces Luis Figo and Rui Costa to the international stage as Portugal win second World Youth Championship, this time at home.

Queiroz succeeds Artur Jorge as coach of national team.

1994: Stands down as Portugal coach after team fail to qualify for World Cup finals in United States. He leaves for Sporting Lisbon, who finish third, then second in his two full seasons in charge.

1996: Joins New York MetroStars as head coach in May before going to Japan to manage Grampus Eight.

1997: Returns to United States as a consultant for the country's soccer federation.

1998-99: Accepts an offer to coach the United Arab Emirates, but a lack of success quickly brings the Arabian adventure to a close.

2000: Signs on as only the second foreign coach of South Africa with a contract running until end of the World Cup.

2001-2002: Leads South Africa to qualification for the 2002 World Cup finals.

2002: Quits job on March 12 after South Africa's 2-0 defeat to Mali in African Nations Cup quarter-finals and a dispute with the team's technical director, Jomo Sono.

June: Joins Alex Ferguson's staff at Manchester United as assistant coach on a three-year contract.

2003, June: Signs a two-year deal to become the coach of Real Madrid after the club decide not to renew Vicente del Bosque's contract.

2004, May 24: Sacked by Real Madrid at the end of first season in charge. The team end the campaign fourth in the league after losing last five matches and without a major trophy for the first time in five years.

skeeta

Queiroz

your misguided.

The squad was paper thin, you can't expect a 31 year old zidane or figo to play 60 games a season can you? Especially when they either needed rested or were injured queiroz had to bring in players such as antonio nunez to fill the void. Just look at there form in the first half of the season, if they had a decent enough squad that team could have won everything.

He had a squad of 21, included 3 goals, 4 promoted youth players, an 14 first-teamers. They had to get players from the real madrid B teams so they could play 11 on 11 training matches

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
skeeta, for feck's sake we've been through this about 8 times

The point is NOT that Madrid's failed season was all Queiroz' fault...I'm sure it wasn't

The point is that he is not an experienced manager with a proven track record. He's been manager of one big club, for one year, and he failed.

We need an experienced manager who's a winner.

skeeta

Plechazunga said:
The point is that he is not an experienced manager with a proven track record. He's been manager of one big club, for one year, and he failed.
Failed- Because of circumstances rather than his managerial creditials,

JUST LIKE FERGIE WHO HAS WON ONE PREMIERSHIP TITLE IN FOUR YEARS, circumstances, eh? who is a failure? double standards?

devilish

Plechazunga said:
skeeta, for feck's sake we've been through this about 8 times

The point is NOT that Madrid's failed season was all Queiroz' fault...I'm sure it wasn't

We need an experienced manager who's a winner.
Spot on

that is why we shouldnt sign someone who had won only in the mickey mouse league ;)

Spoony

skeeta said:
Failed- Because of circumstances rather than his managerial creditials,

JUST LIKE FERGIE WHO HAS WON ONE PREMIERSHIP TITLE IN FOUR YEARS, circumstances, eh? who is a failure? double standards?
That makes no sense whatsoever.

skeeta

Spoony said:
That makes no sense whatsoever.
You said queiroz is failure on the last two months results at Madrid, but fergie has failed 3 out of the last 4 seasons in the premiership and every year in europe, but you dont label him as not good enough for the job

devilish

skeeta said:
You said queiroz is failure on the last two months results at Madrid, but fergie has failed 3 out of the last 4 seasons in the premiership and every year in europe, but you dont label him as not good enough for the job
skeeta youre missing the point. SAF has a great CV that prove his worth. He may not have done very well lately but we all know what he can do. Same thing cannot be said about Queroz who had failed to impress in 'his baptism of fire'. Im sorry skeeta but OT is no place for rookie managers. Id rather have O Neill as our next manager rather than Carlos Queroz

Spoony

skeeta said:

He had the best Spanish side since the Real sides of 50's. It was the first time that team had failed to win anything for 5 years, even though their team was full of the best players in the world. feck, I could've done a better job.

He's had only ONE fecking year at a club, and that resulted in failure. I'm sorry, but he just hasn't the qualifications. As for comparing him to Fergie, we didn't go without a major trophy the season he was at Real. Failure means what Carlos did - feck all. Didn't win jack, at his time at Madrid. And Fergie's record speaks for itself, you can't compare him to a failure like Carlos.

Carlos = 1 huge risk. Something you can't comprehend,

skeeta

Queiroz only had 14 first teams players (to play 65 competitive mtches) and up and to march was on the verge of the treble and 8 points clear in the league and cup final to look forward too.

Queiroz was not the culprit of all the evils of the team, as some tried to make believe.

Madrid had a very important player in Makelele, who the director allowed to leave. Queiroz asked Perez and Valdano to replace him, but they did nothing

Perez made Queiroz a scapegoat, for his inept transfer policy

Queiroz biggest mistake was going to manage the real madrid galacticos because that team is a joke. with all the best players in the world, they cant make a good enough team to even win a copa del rey. the president runs the show there and i dotn see real winning a title untill the president loosens his grip on the decisions on who plays and what players they buy. quairoz was a good scapegoat for the teams failures(thats exactly what he was because the perez knew he has to reduce the squad so he could afford all the stras coming in) and queiroz took all the blame. people in madrid know it wasn't his fault but blind people assume it was. good coaches have gone through real madrid and had the same result.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I agree Queiroz is not to blame for Real not winning a trophy that year but that also does not mean he is a shoe-in to take over at OT. He does Not have a proven record.

I would plump for Carlos if we could not get any of the candidates we wanted.
O'Neill for me tops that list.

Reflectorboy

Future friend of the first team
IMHO carlos is not to blamed for real's failure to win anything it is perez's fault if anything else..but what concerns me is his personality and my doubts on his man to man management skills and he is too 'soft' for a manchester united manager
but IMHO i would prefer carlos anytime to O'Neill

Spoony

skeeta said:
Queiroz only had 14 first teams players (to play 65 competitive mtches) and up and to march was on the verge of the treble and 8 points clear in the league and cup final to look forward too.

Queiroz was not the culprit of all the evils of the team, as some tried to make believe.

Madrid had a very important player in Makelele, who the director allowed to leave. Queiroz asked Perez and Valdano to replace him, but they did nothing

Perez made Queiroz a scapegoat, for his inept transfer policy

Queiroz biggest mistake was going to manage the real madrid galacticos because that team is a joke. with all the best players in the world, they cant make a good enough team to even win a copa del rey. the president runs the show there and i dotn see real winning a title untill the president loosens his grip on the decisions on who plays and what players they buy. quairoz was a good scapegoat for the teams failures(thats exactly what he was because the perez knew he has to reduce the squad so he could afford all the stras coming in) and queiroz took all the blame. people in madrid know it wasn't his fault but blind people assume it was. good coaches have gone through real madrid and had the same result.

Bottomline is that he failed, and not only that but he didn't command respect of the star players.

As I've said, a few times, he's simply not qualified to take over one of the biggest clubs in the world. This isn't some small time, Japanese or Yank club, or a youth team, it's Manchester United. Sorry, but not done enough to be in the running. And you keep overlooking something as important as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.