Moyes To Succeed Ferguson Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Davo said:
They're not a strong side...they're struggling in the bottom half of Serie A...they're feckin shit

As mentioned, the SPL is a serious league for Scottish teams

If you limited your search for managers to those who have only managed what you stupidly view as "Big Clubs" you'd never have taken a chance on your current gaffer....
They are struggling because their owner had preferred to push the self destruction button by hiring and firing 5 managers in the past year

Regarding your second comment As stated before football was different then to now. The Scottish league was stronger, the EPL was weaker, we had different priorities and we werent the team that we are now. Replacing SAF is not like replacing Atkinson. The pressure will be high and you need to have a manager with the right experience to limit the damage and move the club forward. And sorry I dont believe that lightening can strike twice in the same place and Im afraid that O Neill would turn into another Souness or Walter Smith rather than into the new SAF. ONeill is good but not yet a great manager.

Davo

devilish said:
They are struggling because their owner had preferred to push the self destruction button by hiring and firing 5 managers in the past year

Regarding your second comment As stated before football was different then to now. The Scottish league was stronger, the EPL was weaker, we had different priorities and we werent the team that we are now. Replacing SAF is not like replacing Atkinson. The pressure will be high and you need to have a manager with the right experience to limit the damage and move the club forward. And sorry I dont believe that lightening can strike twice in the same place and Im afraid that O Neill would turn into another Souness or Walter Smith rather than into the new SAF
It doesn't matter why they're struggling...point being they are....and are shit

What a load of waffled bollocks...O'Neill's by no means perfect, but has a lot going for him that you're unable to see. Yet you prefer to cite unrealistic targets such as Wenger

devilish

Keane16 said:
If O'Neill does get the job one day, will you support him, dev?
Of course I would. I have nothing against this guy

redpie

Forget all this big club shite. Most of you would be still debating whether Mourinho has really managed a big club and some of you maybe still are.
It is about talent, winners and the right moment.

devilish

Davo said:
I reckon you should get Alex McLeish as O'Neill's assistant...

or maybe Capello
or someone who had won the league with Liverpool

devilish

Davo said:
I don't think King Kenny would lower himself to be honest...
same about capello

he had won at managerial level much more than king canny who had ever dreamt of winning.

devilish

Davo said:
I'd quite like you to get Capello

We always outclass his teams

you used to win us home and away

then at the end of the season. we picked the important honors and you remained there jealous of our success

Davo

devilish said:
same about capello

he had won at managerial level much more than king canny who had ever dreamt of winning.
Yeah true....he might not lower himself to manage you either

His recent record against English sides is crap

devilish

Plechazunga said:
Hitzfeld - past it
Wenger - can't get him
Capello - gay
Hiddink - fat, and gay

Which leaves O'Neill

Sorted
ok then :lol:

Davo

devilish said:
you used to win us home and away

then at the end of the season. we picked the important honors and you remained there jealous of our success
We used to beat you..not win you, Malta

and when we were beating ( not winning ) you, we won the Treble which was an amazing season, and finished above you in the league....

So not that accurate a point really...

devilish

Davo said:
We used to beat you..not win you, Malta

and when we were beating ( not winning ) you, we won the Treble which was an amazing season, and finished above you in the league....

So not that accurate a point really...
the treble :lol:

devilish

Davo said:
Exactly, I was pissed up in Germany...not jealous

and I obviously wasn't jealous the following season when we were a better side than you...
the treble :lol:

its funny comparing this

to this

Davo

Plechazunga said:
Good news for O'Neill, certainly

I'll tell him...he's down the bottom of my garden, playing a fiddle
No doubt he's got Neil Lennon down there with him....

Or "Keano's replacement" as he calls him

So he does

Keane16

Redcafe Minister for Guinness Therapy
He's an amateur criminologist you know, is Martin.

He studies serial killers in some detail, and formulates theories on unsolved murders.

Quite obsessive about his little hobby in fact.....

How about that then?

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
I belive he has a degree in criminal psychology

For his first year as a premiership manager he was payed 60k by leicester, so he should be nice and cheap.

Suedesi

devilish said:
Wenger is a manager who knows the English Premiership very well. He had won everything at local level despite working with a budget which is ridiculous at Manchester United terms. He signed unknown talent who did very well, and altough he is not as good as SAF in grooming young talent, he did promoted players like Ashley Cole. Many say that he will never move from Arsenal. He would be mad not doing so. I mean Arsenal are at a stalemate. They dont have the funds to compete with us and Chelsea and he is destined to end up winning absolutely nothing for a long time. Wenger is arrogant but I dont think he is stupid. He knows that the only way for him to move forward is to leave and join a club who can give him the funds he need to win

If youre saying that Capello is too defensive minded then you should buy some old tapes of AC Milan (check also about Gullit, Van Basten and Rykaard), Roma (the man who created the trio Totti, Cassano and Montello) and Real lead by Capello. This man is a genius, he had won important honors in every team that he had joined and has a cv that anyone would envy. Ok you need to pamper the guy, and you need to give him carta bianca (in english terms give him the freedom to do what he wants) but if You want to win, then sign Capello.

Hitzfeld is 56 year old (what age got to do with this? we are talking about a manager here not a winger. what do you want in that role a master tactician or a inexperienced wimp?) and had won everything (including two CL) with two different teams in a league so similar to the EPL. He is a strict manager who knows how to handle the pressure of leading a great side (not some mickey mouse team) and is able to take tough decisions. Hiddink is 59 year old, capable of making a miracle (turning an average team made up of 11 fortunes into a threat capable of humilating national teams like Italy). He knows continental football very well and his knowlege of dutch football would prove precious
Wenger :lol:

Capello is a very defensive minded coach. He won the CL once with Milan, that was the greatest team of the decade, and was generally considered below Sacchi. His style would not fit us, and clearly defensive tactics are not the right culture for United. And he's lost three times in a row against the scousers ffs.

Hitzfeld hasn't managed this year. Is he retired or is he still waiting for the right offer. His last spell with Bayern didn't turn out very well mind.

Hiddink is the best possibility out of the ones you mentioned.

I think we should go for Bora Milutinovic meself. :D

devilish

As stated Wenger’s deal would be difficult but not impossible

Capello is not a defensive minded manager. Anyone who claim that the teams lead by Capello are defensive minded (bar Juventus but Capello is trying to sort things out on that) don’t know him or the Serie A very well. Watch the videos mate. Regarding losing against Liverpool, well that’s true. But if I remember well we had passed from a period when we couldn’t beat Houllier’s team didn’t we. Does that mean that Houllier is better than SAF? Capello had won important honors wherever he went. That deserves respect.

Hitzeld hasn’t been managing for a year, that’s true. But there is no doubt that he is one of the finest managers around.

giggzy

The Fatter Bryan Robson
Suedesi said:
You want Wenger to take over Fergie's old job? :houllier::houllier::houllier:

And Capello is too defensive minded for Juve fans, let alone Utd fans. Plus he's been eliminated 3 times in a row by the scousers.

Hitzfeld and Hiddink how old are they?
Don't want Capello. Reckon his best days are behind him(in fact he's not really reproduced the succes he had at Milan, which, albeit was on the back of Saachi's team).......and he's ultra defensive, as you've mentioned.

Hitzfeld....is quite old, but that's not he problem, he's won the European Cup with two different clubs, I doubt he'll have the same appetite.....

I mentioned Hiddink a couple of days ago, he's not young, but you have to say he's produced some decent sides lately, on the back of nothing. PSV and South Korea - examples. He's def. got enough fuel left in the tank.......and managing a club like United as this stage of his career, could suit him and us.

MON's the other one. He's a good manager as well.

Then there are others who've we've never heard of. Who the feck heard of Wenger when Arsenal signed him?(except Devilish, of course) So, we could get a promising manager who's relatively unknown..................

devilish

giggzy said:
Don't want Capello. Reckon his best days are behind him(in fact he's not really reproduced the succes he had at Milan, which, albeit was on the back of Saachi's team).......and he's ultra defensive, as you've mentioned.

Hitzfeld....is quite old, but that's not he problem, he's won the European Cup with two different clubs, I doubt he'll have the same appetite.....

I mentioned Hiddink a couple of days ago, he's not young, but you have to say he's produced some decent sides lately, on the back of nothing. PSV and South Korea - examples. He's def. got enough fuel left in the tank.......and managing a club like United as this stage of his career, could suit him and us.

MON's the other one. He's a good manager as well.

Then there are others who've we've never heard of. Who the feck heard of Wenger when Arsenal signed him?(except Devilish, of course) So, we could get a promising manager who's relatively unknown..................
Lightning rarely strike twice in the same place. Relying on an experienced manager is wiser then relying on a rookie but thats my opinion.

And regarding Capello. This year He has a realistic chance of winning the Serie A title with a team that he had just joined with. So... he is far from finished. What would you have said if he had won just 1 league in the past 4 years (with the strongest side in the country)?

skeeta

Yet another rambling idiot
As to O'Neill, he's the most overrated manager in the game today. But I'm guessing you like Emile Heskey in the starting 11, so I can sort of see why you would want O'Neill to be manager.

O'Neil may be a great manager, but coming in first or second in a two team league is no great achievement. The SPL is the equivilent of English D-2 or America's A League

To the fact that Martin O'Neill is incapable of beating European also-rans, incapable of adjusting his tactics to the opposition mid-game and, as things stand, incapable of pointing to a single trophy of note in his apparently orgasmic coaching career? You and yours bleat on about the standards to which MUFC should aspire whilst simultaneously worshipping a man who has won the Scottish championship!! And, sorry if this makes you cry, but let's also not forget that he achieved this occasional success as jockey of one half of a two-horse race. The one with the bigger pot of cash, I need also add, considering you have neither the knowledge nor the wit to factor such things in. Talk about painting by numbers. And he did it by playing dull, formulaic football.

Celtic are my pet team and whilst O'Neill's accomplishments in the immediate sense of turning Celtic around have earnt him the undying gratitude of the faithful, there isn't a single proper Celtic fan who doesn't readily admit to tearing his hair out with depressing regularity when it comes to O'Neill's buys, decisions, tactics and favourtism. I was having a pint with a mate of mine who is a season ticket holder at Parkhead when I was up in Edinburgh recently and he was going nuts about the way O'Neill favours Neil Lennon even when he is playing like a sack of ********. He was also bemoaning the lack of quality in Celtic's play and their overall approach to the game.

He got Leicester into Europe via the Worthington Cup. By beating Tranmere Rovers in the final. And they lost their single round of European action to Partizan Belgrade, if I remember correctly.

He was good for Leicester though. Make no bones about it. But ultimately, he achieved what? He made Leicester City a mid-table Premiership side for a couple of years after taking them there through the play-offs. Leicester City are not Barnsley, they have form in the top division, they're at the top end of the "smaller club" bracket in terms of size (single-team city of 280,000 people) and they spent a decent amount of money on wages for solid players like Savage, Lennon, Elliot, Cottee, Izzet, Sinclair and others. He deserves respect for what he did, but people do have a habit of going on rather, when it comes to O'Neill. So he's a passionate, intense leader of men. Whoopdeedoo. So was Graeme Souness. People bang on about O'Neill as though he took a provincial club with a history of winning nothing and won championships and European trophies with them. Sadly, he didn't. His old gaffer did, but that's neither here nor there ... and yet comparisons with Brian Clough are just one example of the overblown nonsense that is spoken about Martin O'Neill.

Celtic? Yeah, he took the mess Barnes and Dalglish left behind and made it work again. Great. No one doubts his ability to motivate limited players and make them perform.

Bottom line is that Martin O'Neill, despite the biggest pot of cash in Scottish football, is being equalled and often bested by Alex McLeish and his decidedly ordinary Rangers side.

his acknowledged failings (well, acknowledged by people who actually follow Celtic, rather than by people who get their view on football from internet message boards) and you have an obvious problem.

all just bumble along like the sheep they are, bleating 'O'neill', O'Neill' ... it's embarrassing.

we need to think of getting someone who will make a genuine difference to the trajectory of the squad, not someone who thinks Stanislav Varga is a good defender.

Anyone wanting Martin O' Neill as our manager wants to see us mired in perpetual drudgery

Status
Not open for further replies.