Moyes To Succeed Ferguson Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringo 07

Joe-say is nailed on to get the job imo.
I seriously doubt it. I think he will be at Man City or Chelsea come the summer. They will simply outbid us to get the right manager and Pep will probably go to one of these 2 clubs also. Besides Mourinho might not have a good enough record at bringing youth through to please the owners and the philosophy for making profit at the club

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
I'd love it if Moyes came here and was fantastic but realistically I know it won't be him and that's probably right.

That said if he does end up taking over I won't be getting mardy about it, I'll give him a good chance before I started thinking that its wrong,

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I seriously doubt it. I think he will be at Man City or Chelsea come the summer. They will simply outbid us to get the right manager and Pep will probably go to one of these 2 clubs also. Besides Mourinho might not have a good enough record at bringing youth through to please the owners and the philosophy for making profit at the club
I think Mourinho wants the job and will get it. The bit about the youth policy is up for debate given that winning leagues and CLs will certainly be the most financially attractive proposition to the Glazers.

Revan

Assumptionman
If Moyes becomes our manager, he should be backed by fans, players and owners. Also, he should get 2-3 years regardless if he win trophies or not (unless he makes a Dalglish). Anyway it will be difficult for him (and almost anyone) taking the job after Fergie retires, too much pression. Saying this, there is one man who doesn't care baout pression (Mourinho) and that is the reason why I think that he is the best man to take the job.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
If Moyes becomes our manager, he should be backed by fans, players and owners. Also, he should get 2-3 years regardless if he win trophies or not (unless he makes a Dalglish). Anyway it will be difficult for him (and almost anyone) taking the job after Fergie retires, too much pression. Saying this, there is one man who doesn't care baout pression (Mourinho) and that is the reason why I think that he is the best man to take the job.
eh?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
How do you know what both Moyes and Sir Alex have said in private behind closed doors? ITK?
My Aunty is friends with the Moyes. Not really ITK, just hear something every now and then through her.

what's moyes said about never going for big CL job ineurope and why his everton couldn't win a playoff to get into the CL?

What's he said about being less successful than steve mcclaren in his managerial career?

What's he said about his lack of european experience and lack of tactical creativity?
What are you on about you stupid cnut?

cj_sparky

I like Moyes and I think he is the best "British" option about, if we go that way.

I think Ole could be a dark horse, if he keeps doing well at Molde.

VoetbalWizard

My Aunty is friends with the Moyes. Not really ITK, just hear something every now and then through her.

What are you on about you stupid cnut?
since you are sorta itk why doesn't he tell your auntie answers to relevant questions as opposed to bigging himself up by going on about being fergie's mate and having the inside track of wanting the utd job for which is not qualified for?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I would love Moyes, joint first choice along with Pep.

humdinger

I genuinely don't know who I'd want to be manager when fergie goes. But I don't think it would be Moyes. Too many unknowns as to how he would cope with superstars, big transfer budgets, being forces to change playing style, whole different level of media spotlight etc. He might cope brilliantly and be a revelation but there's massive risk there.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
gollum shouldn't be anywhere near this job. he doesn't have it in him.

i'd rather have jm, pep, ole, ancelotti, hiddink...even take a flyer on klopp or pellegrini before moyes.
Pellegrini's still my dark horse candidate for the job. Good tactician, stylish teams, great judge of young players and underused talent. Has taken Malaga through the CL qualifiers despite losing top players. Dignified in victory and defeat - the kind of safe, quiet, solid presence that we may need to get through the immediate storm of SAF's departure.

I bet he'd even take OGS and Giggs as assistants if we asked him nicely. :devil:

VoetbalWizard

Pellegrini's still my dark horse candidate for the job. Good tactician, stylish teams, great judge of young players and underused talent. Has taken Malaga through the CL qualifiers despite losing top players. Dignified in victory and defeat - the kind of safe, quiet, solid presence that we may need to get through the immediate storm of SAF's departure.

I bet he'd even take OGS and Giggs as assistants if we asked him nicely. :devil:
yeah pellegrini is sound as feck. educated, well spoken, classy, knows his football, good man, good gaffer.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
since you are sorta itk why doesn't he tell your auntie answers to relevant questions as opposed to bigging himself up by going on about being fergie's mate and having the inside track of wanting the utd job for which is not qualified for?
She doesn't go round there to ask him questions. I think it'd be a bit weird if she started asking questions like you're asking. He doesn't big himself up, it's more his wife that tells anecdotes about Fergie and him. They're meant to be really nice people.

What qualifications does he need? 9 GCSE's and a European Cup?

Revan

Assumptionman

The only downside is his age, and I think that we need someone more energetic to replace SAF. Otherwise he is a good one.

Forevergiggs

It's pretty funny reading the first page, in 2005 the choices were: Moyes, O'Neill, Mcleish, Robson, Bruce, Hughes, Benitez, Mancini, CQ, Hiddink, Keane...:)

I really dread the day when the old man retires. I really do.

Moyes is the only one amongst them that I think can do the job. Though I hope it never comes to that and the Old Scot manages till he is 80 and then some more. (A central midfielder would be great in the meanwhile :p)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

He'll be 60 next year though so it'd be a short term solution and I'm not sure we are into that. I know Mourinho moves every half a decade or so at best but his next project will be a longer one, he's already proven himself in all three top leagues and will now want to build a true legacy somewhere and United is a good place to do that. I really hope City won't be lining him up to replace Mancini at the end of season as it could spell a whole new era for them and it'd be full of trophies.

Steven Seagull

I genuinely don't know who I'd want to be manager when fergie goes. But I don't think it would be Moyes. Too many unknowns as to how he would cope with superstars, big transfer budgets, being forces to change playing style, whole different level of media spotlight etc. He might cope brilliantly and be a revelation but there's massive risk there.
Well the way we're going we'll have no stars in a few years when RVP retires and we'll carry on buying low budget crap so it won't be a problem to Moyes

what?

ciderman9000000

I'm surprised to read so much hostility towards Moyes' managerial prowess, he's an excellent manager imo. I'd happily see Moyes take over from SAF rather than all these foreign managers with zero Premier League experience that so often get drooled over.

Moyes has done nothing to jump straight to the job at OT. Let him prove himself at some place like Spurs first.
Some place like Spurs? Yeah, so, like Everton then.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I'm surprised to read so much hostility towards Moyes' managerial prowess, he's an excellent manager imo. I'd happily see Moyes take over from SAF rather than all these foreign managers with zero Premier League experience that so often get drooled over.
You do realise that Jose has got premier league experience right? Premier League winning experience that is, along with champions league winning experience. Why would anyone take Moyes over Mourinho, given the chance between both?

Forevergiggs

Young - check
British - check
Longevity at a club (in top flight football) - check
Ability to pull above his weight on a limited budged - check
Ability to get good players in the transfer market - check
Making those players perform - check
Dealing with the media - check
Looking after young players - check
Not turning the club into a circus - check
Not an egotist - check

I would take Moyes over Mourinho. I like Mourinho but not at my club.

MDFC Manager

I think a lot of us would rather have a manager who has experience of successfully managing a big club with big expectations even if he has no PL experience.

Varun

Staff
Quality comes first. A manager has to prove himself capable of being at a club like United first. Managing a mid table team is totally different to managing a team thats expected to win trophies every year and has star players all around. Moyes has feckall experience of either. I'd always take Mourinho, Guardiola or even Klopp ahead oh him. Always.

Wanting a local manager bit also makes me cringe. Its the same people who criticised the Hodgson appointment. Experience in the PL means nothing to me when you've only got it at Everton. I'd much rather someone who has the experience of managing clubs like Real, Barca, Inter, Chelsea etc.

Some place like Spurs? Yeah, so, like Everton then.
Spurs arent like Everton at all. They have a better squad and have the funds to challenge for the UCL spots. That isnt the case with Everton. When i say prove himself at Spurs, i mean him taking over and building a team that performs consistently and finishes in the top 4 for a couple of seasons. Till then, i would never want someone jumping directly from Everton to United. Totally different challenges.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Young - check
British - check
Longevity at a club (in top flight football) - check
Ability to pull above his weight on a limited budged - check
Ability to get good players in the transfer market - check
Making those players perform - check
Dealing with the media - check
Looking after young players - check
Not turning the club into a circus - check
Not an egotist - check

I would take Moyes over Mourinho. I like Mourinho but not at my club.
Nothing against Moyes, but those qualities could also be applied to the likes of Lambert, Clarke, Rodgers, and a few others. They say little about whether those managers can handle the pressure at a club like Manchester United. We need a manager who has been there before - ideally multiple times - and knows how to get it done - build world class squads, and win trophies. Mourinho has demonstrated time and again that he is a transformational manager who can win with little money (Porto) moderate investment (Inter) or sugardaddy/galatico money (Chelsea and Madrid). Its that sort of versatility and winning mentality that is required in a future United manager.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why'd he be at Man City, they've just appointed two ex Barcelona guys in their board, not sure if Mourinho wants to work under them.

Forevergiggs

Nothing against Moyes, but those qualities could also be applied to the likes of Lambert, Clarke, Rodgers, and a few others. They say little about whether those managers can handle the pressure at a club like Manchester United. We need a manager who has been there before - ideally multiple times - and knows how to get it done - build world class squads, and win trophies. Mourinho has demonstrated time and again that he is a transformational manager who can win with little money (Porto) moderate investment (Inter) or sugardaddy/galatico money (Chelsea and Madrid). Its that sort of versatility and winning mentality that is required in a future United manager.

Actually they cannot be applied to those guys as they have not proven themselves consistently over a longer period of time with one club. Everton is a pretty big club, in fact fourth all time in the list of domestic champions.

You are not incorrect in saying that Moyes is an unknown quantity when it comes to managing a club of the stature of United but that doesn't mean he is incapable of the job. The probability of emulating SAF would be low for any manager in the world. The chances are that we are not going to be as successful as we have been over the last two decades. We as fans need to come to terms with that.

Moyes though check most of the criteria and qualities that I would look for in a United manager. Having a world class squad and better resources might be his coming out party. Also, most people don't understand this but having a British manager, British core of players and continuity have played a significant role in our success. Somethings that Moyes will bring along. Plus, I would like us to be successful while maintaining the traditions of Manchester United, which will be at a mercy if Fergie is succeed by Mourinho. Mourinho may bring short term success but I would always be worried about the long term future.

ciderman9000000

You do realise that Jose has got premier league experience right? Premier League winning experience that is, along with champions league winning experience. Why would anyone take Moyes over Mourinho, given the chance between both?
I do, and thus I wasn't including Jose when I said foreign managers with no Premier League experience.

Where did I say I'd favour Moyes over Mourinho?

Sonny Feehan

When Moyes was still at Preston and no one had really heard of him, an old youth team mate of Ferguson and friend of mine was told by SAF that David Moyes would be the next manager of United. Even I didn't believe it but it is much more credible now than it was then.

I posted this in 2005. Wish I'd put a few bob on it then

Ash_G

Big fan of moyes myself I guess his only drawback is his lack of European experience but then there's plenty of people at the club who would advise him. He's shown himself to be a very good manager working on a limited budget but also shown he can get the best out of a group of players much like fergie.

Mourinho is of course a great option but would he want to stay? The problem with mourinho I think is that he always wants to show himself as a saviour of sorts, someone who can turn a club around, not to mention he likes to spend big. Though I suppose unless he's gonna go to Germany he's pretty much done all the major leagues so maybe he's ready to settle.

Guardiola is a strange one, achieved great things with his barca side but I dunno I still have reservations just cause as well as he did he was also working with one if the greatest club teams ever, he played his part no doubt but how well he could do without that sort of players is something to consider.

Klopp at Dortmund is another good shout. End of the day if it went to moyes personally I wouldn't be disappointed.

RedRover

Not Chelsea - Pep will be there next season.

As for City, perhaps. But they've just appointed two ex Barca bods in the higher echelons so I personally doubt it.

I suspect fergie's successor has already been decided. I strongly suspect it is Jose Mourinho.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mourinho looks a great shout I'm wary of Pep he inherited a great team, did unbelievable with them but bought a right few expensive flops. Then walked out due to pressure that's not the type of manager I want here.

Red_Aaron

would have no problem with Moyes being given a chance.

He's done a fantastic job at Everton given their circumstances, many a team with better finances than them have dropped down the divisions whilst he's been there, building team after team on a shoestring and remaining competitive. the trophy winning side of it is difficult to judge, the game is different now, even top clubs like arsenal can't win a pot with the financial muscle of chelsea and city skewing the competitions.

I like his manner, he's no nonsense and i dont think he'd have any issues dealing with top players or the increased media pressure. Europe could well be a learning curve for him though, as it was Fergie though tbf. He'd also be another 10 year+ man if he got the chance whereas i doubt the likes of jose and pep would stick around for 10 years even if they were successful

i'm surprised he hasnt moved on from everton these last couple of seasons, he derserves credit for how well they are this season and you have to fancy theyve a fantastic chance at fourth this year, but i cant understand why he wasn't in the frame for the spurs job - he's 10x the manager AVB is imo

Status
Not open for further replies.