Moyes To Succeed Ferguson Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
:lol:

Everton play the least inspiring football out of all the teams in the top half of the table excluding West Ham. Have you seen their away record against the top 4 since Moyes took over? Played 50 and won precisely zilch.
Errr...

Number7

Ret's Slave
We have picked up only a small handful of away wins against top sides ourselves during Fergie's reign. I really don't understand why anyone would regard this as a significant factor. The bloke manages to stay in contention for a CL spot with stunning regularity, yet people choose to focus on something like this.
I don't know it just doesn't inspire confidence. Big Sam won at Old Trafford 2 years in a row with Bolton, it just seems shoddy that in many attempts, Moyes just hasn't delivered in this aspect. Watching you get constantly battered by Liverpool doesn't really help my perception of his either.

Mersault

In all fairness there is a potential alternate thought process to Moyes:

Pick someone after Sir Alex that hasn't won anything and has no real experience at this stage, but might surprise everyone by being a real success.

Worst case scenario for a couple of years we don't win anything and he is replaced with a proven manager, who then doesn't have the "burden" of Fergie's success. Someone like Mourinho (or anyone really) will never get much credit for winning as it'll always be worse than Fergie's record.
Interesting angle, but what if Mourinho arrived and just won the Champions League in his first season? We've got the squad for it. He might make a couple of additions. And he's clearly got the pedigree

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't know it just doesn't inspire confidence. Big Sam won at Old Trafford 2 years in a row with Bolton, it just seems shoddy that in many attempts, Moyes just hasn't delivered in this aspect. Watching you get constantly battered by Liverpool doesn't really help my perception of his either.
Remember they had a good goal disallowed on Sunday, that isn't his fault.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
In all fairness there is a potential alternate thought process to Moyes:

Pick someone after Sir Alex that hasn't won anything and has no real experience at this stage, but might surprise everyone by being a real success.

Worst case scenario for a couple of years we don't win anything and he is replaced with a proven manager, who then doesn't have the "burden" of Fergie's success. Someone like Mourinho (or anyone really) will never get much credit for winning as it'll always be worse than Fergie's record. Whereas in a theoretical scenario of a Moyes not winning anything for a few years, a future manager will only be compared to that, rather than Fergie's record.

If Moyes succeeds early on obviously everyone will be over the moon and he will then be able to then build from it.
Yes I get what your saying, and bridging the gap is probably one of the best things we can do after the phenomenon that is SAF. The only problem is your playing down the worse case scenario, the next few years could see city winning the league. Which is unpalatable for me!

If we are going to bridge the gap do it with a short term manager that will also bring success.... Jose step forward!

Ludens the Red

:lol:

Everton play the least inspiring football out of all the teams in the top half of the table excluding West Ham. Have you seen their away record against the top 4 since Moyes took over? Played 50 and won precisely zilch.
Cos we've been playing sensational stuff for the last three years, obviously.

That away record means nothing. Spurs and Newcastle have worse records away to the "Big 4" in the same time period.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I'd be very confident in saying that the current top five, Liverpool and Swansea play better stuff than them, and from what I've seen of West Brom this season, they're on a par with Everton in terms of playing style.

I'm not saying that it's conclusive, but there's at least seven teams in the top half of the table that play better stuff than them on a consistent basis.

Skywarden

I'd beg to differ, mate. Mourinho would have been a far bolder appointment as he would have been a challenge for the board themselves. Moyes will be like a starstruck teenager for the few season or two and will not rock the boat at all. In fact, so determined will he be not to lose games and be seen as weak, I envisage us playing very safe football next season.

I hope I'm wrong, mind.
How is that a good thing? Aren't we seeking stability, after all? The potential appointment of Moyes doesn't necessarily mean that he should sit pretty, lick arse and act as a puppet. There'll most certainly be room for him to pave his own path.

That is of course under one premise; we don't end up like Liverpool and their treatment of Hodgson.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Not sure about this theory of Everton and un-inspirational football. No I'm not a big advocate of Moyes but they looked pretty good when they cost us the league at Old Trafford last season, whilst turning around a 2 goal deficit.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Cos we've been playing sensational stuff for the last three years, obviously.
Well done, you've just proved my point. We went for the safe, stable option. I for one would wish we went away from the one-dimensional football we see most weeks at Old Trafford. It was a genuine opportunity to change this, bring in some fresh ideas and fresh blood and try to be a force in Europe again.

I'll support the new manager whomever it is, but I cannot hide my disappointment at this news.

The Neviller

I'm not happy with some of our useless, braindead reprobate fans more than anything.
What's the problem with people not being excited by this appointment? If tomorrow the news comes out that Moyes isn't the man and Mourinho is in charge will all those fans saying Moyes is right for the job and Mourinho isn't be brain dead and reprobate?

Comsmit

I'm fairly stunned that the board have chosen Moyes......it is a huge gamble. I understand why they have decided to go with him, Ferguson and Charlton (I assume) have endorsed him so he has the heavyweight backing. There is a clear desire to possess continuity and basically "maintain" Ferguson's great work and legacy. Moyes is uncomplicated, ambitious, hard-working and modest and with the ex-manager in the background, has a wealth of experience to tap into.

The trouble is I believe the decision may be partly based on a desire to bring someone cut from the same cloth as Ferguson......a man not just with similar traits as a person, but a similar background. This may be considered sentimental or grounded in nostalgia, and it could backfire. The obvious desire is for Moyes to stay with the club long-term, and provide another legacy of sustained success.....but it will be incredibly difficult to achieve even half of what Ferguson has in the time he will have.

There are so many question marks surrounding Moyes, and rightly so. He simply has not been tested at the highest level and it may be naïve to assume he can simply slot in and deliver the standard of success the club demands. Only time will tell but he needs to hit the ground running to silence any doubters and a baying media who will be scrutinising his every move.

I'm going to reserve true judgement until I see his first season pan out. As it stands I'm very surprised that he appears to be the only serious candidate. I hope it turns out to be a masterstroke, because get it wrong and it could be hugely embarrassing, not to mention damaging to the club. I would hate to see the board sweating in 2 years time with no serious options to look at.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Not sure about this theory of Everton and un-inspirational football. No I'm not a big advocate of Moyes but they looked pretty good when they cost us the league at Old Trafford last season, whilst turning around a 2 goal deficit.
That they did. Plus, Moyes won't employ the exact same style he's used at Everton should he take over here. Any manager is limited by his players. He will have far better ones at his disposal here, which means he'll play a different sort of game too. For my money Moyes is good at adapting to the opponent, good at utilizing whatever players he has available. He's never struck me as an inflexible sort of manager who is limited to one style only.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well done, you've just proved my point. We went for the safe, stable option. I for one would wish we went away from the one-dimensional football we see most weeks at Old Trafford. It was a genuine opportunity to change this, bring in some fresh ideas and fresh blood and try to be a force in Europe again.

I'll support the new manager whomever it is, but I cannot hide my disappointment at this news.
Safe option in terms of style of play maybe, risky option in terms of continued success.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That they did. Plus, Moyes won't employ the exact same style he's used at Everton should he take over here. Any manager is limited by his players. He will have far better ones at his disposal here, which means he'll play a different sort of game too. For my money Moyes is good at adapting to the opponent, good at utilizing whatever players he has available. He's never struck me as an inflexible sort of manager who is limited to one style only.
Also his squad will have more depth. Injuries scuppered him sometimes. His first team was great, but when he had to make changes his options were limited.

Ash_G

Jesus, you've no idea what his approach would be if he does come. All those other teams you've mentioned, however nice their football is they're not above Everton. I love watching great football but I much prefer winning football. Plus you can't have watched much of Everton, some of the interplay, particularly through Baines and Pienaar is great. They'll use fellani when they need to, just like Fergie has used the likes of Park, Young, Fletcher etc to ensure that we win a game as opposed to play our best football.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
What's the problem with people not being excited by this appointment? If tomorrow the news comes out that Moyes isn't the man and Mourinho is in charge will all those fans saying Moyes is right for the job and Mourinho isn't be brain dead and reprobate?
There's nothing wrong with people being unhappy, it's people acting like sulking little bitches that's the problem. Some people are going well over the top. You've completely missed the point really.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If Moyes is the next coach then SAF is more than happy with him taking the reigns, that's good enough for me at first, the rest of my opinion will be made up by the end of next season

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Would prefer someone who has more clout and can attract players on his own.

Maureen please!!

kps88

Looks all set and done. BBC saying it will be announced tomorrow afternoon.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
With his track record Moyes is anything but a safe option. Many betters mangers then him out there, who would walk to Man Utd. They would be the safe option. In fact I will go as far as saying Utd have took the crazy option.

kps88

Can't see the fans turn against Moyes for a long time. We are not famous for booing our own or even ex players. We have the best fans in the country and he will get the support.
We weren't exactly pleasant during that mini barren spell. Booed Giggs, turned on Queiroz, kept chanting 4-4-2 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.