Munich Remembered - 6th February 1958

Wittmann45

I remember reading a book about the Busby era when I was younger. Before that, I only knew the bare minimum about the club through short lived conversations and first hand accounts. Its weird to say, but when I read about the Munich Disaster, it was one of the first times I recognized the totality of death. I had never shed a tear while reading a book, but I couldn't hold it back when I read about the death of the lethal Tommy Taylor, the heroics of Harry Gregg, and the futile fight put up by the god-like figure Duncan Edwards. As I was some 40 years removed from the disaster while I read Dunphy's book, and even though I felt this almost unrestrained emotion, I knew I couldn't even contemplate what fans at the time must have felt; fans who looked upon the Babes as their heroes

Despite this tragedy and the sadness I felt, I was compelled to keep on reading. I wanted to know how out of such tragedy Sir Matt was able to go on. I tried to put myself in his situation, and I just knew that had I been the manager, I would have crawled into my bed and never looked upon the light of day again. I would have surrendered, I would have given in. But that was never an option for Sir Matt, or Sir Bobby, or the great Bill Foulkes.

There is nothing I love more about United then its beautiful and tragic history. Like Sir Alex says, United is the most romantic club in the world. There is little to rely upon today in sports, or even life for that that matter, and there are few constants. But the one thing I know is that no matter what happens, this club will never die. No matter how good or bad it gets, this club will persevere, and the spirit of the Babes, Sir Matt, and people like Jimmy Murphy will always be in this club's blood, forever transplanted within its DNA

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
RIP to the babes.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
RIP. Forever young.

Tribec

As the years go by, the pain this day brings grows stronger. "What if?" is a question often asked, but with the Babes, it doesn't work. To all those that died in the crash and not just our precious boys, may you all Rest in Peace.

The Flowers of Manchester

TheReligion

Abusive
Such a tragedy. The way the club pulled itself through afterwards will always epitomise what Manchester Untied is, all the way to our European Cup a mere 10 years later.

RIP the Babes

Minkaro

RIP the Busby Babes, and everybody who lost their lives that day.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
RIP flowers of Manchester, gone but not forgotten.

Tribec

It has been confirmed this morning black armbands are being worn tonight. To pay respects to the crash and last weekends nightclub fire in Brazil.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Pity no United player will be involved in the Ireland match, would of liked to see armbands being worn here too.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
RIP babes. The follwoing generations have carried on your traditions and done you proud.
I Hope.

Never Forgotten

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
6th Feb again already :(

A day of contradictions for me....the thought of the babes always brings tears to my eyes, the thought of those lost lives and missed moments, and all the special achievments never made.

But on the flip side the day I feel more United than any other, more so than any title win, cup final or big signing, the day I can look to other reds and feel part of a worldwide family, and feel proud.

God bless the babes and god bless United, each and every one of us where ever you are.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
My little lads 8th birthday today. He knows all the players from the disaster, bless him.

I've been over to the memorial a couple of times in Munich. Will be going back in June to pay my respects again.

Never forgotten

.Phil1968

Whenever I talk to my father about the crash he always says the same thing,"Son, if God would have spared those boys,that European Cup would never have left these shores."

A broken heart a broken dream
A broken plane a broken team
No words were said a silent vow
We loved you then we love you now

Forever in our hearts and never to be forgotten.
God bless you all.