Mykhaylo Mudryk

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

When he received the ball there were five players between him and the goal that weren't between him and the goal when he took his shot. Went past two opponents with his first one two, beat another two with the chip and went past the fifth when receiving the ball back immediately before his shot.
That's quite the leap to consider off the ball running as going past players :lol:
When an attacker runs onto a through ball over the defensive line, would you say he went past 5 players?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That's quite the leap to consider off the ball running as going past players :lol:
When an attacker runs onto a through ball over the defensive line, would you say he went past 5 players?
If he did so with a one two, yes. Especially in this sequence of play.

Oranges038

Nice goal, it's a meaningless pre season game with statues in place of defenders. Nothing to get worked up about.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah, I think he will have good season. He has lot of pace which is always an important weapon to use, even the strongest team are worried about players with genuine raw pace. With players like Enzo who has very good passing range, he should get into good positions very often.
Aye it’s always a big problem to deal with when a player has that kind of pace, and there’s a lot of ways managers can use it. It’s a lot harder for a manager when they have a team with no players with it in their locker.

And getting into those said positions will be vital. I’m a big fan of Potter and I was sad about how things ended up for him there, but him and Lampard really struggled when it came to utilising Mudryk. So often in games he’d be picking up the ball in areas and situations that just weren’t inducive in getting the best out of him. Of course he wasn’t blameless and there was more he could have done in a lot of these situations, but ideally you want your manager facilitating scenarios through his build up approach and his tactics in which the opposition get exposed and your dangerous wide players get opportunities to wreak havoc and cause damage. You rightfully mention Enzo as a player who can initiate these moves, and as he can benefit from a direct and willing runner like Mudryk, Mudryk can benefit from being fed by a player with that kind of passing range.

At the risk of conjuring Amadeus, I think Pochettino will be a big help to Mudryk as well. He’s made very good use of that kind of player in the past. With it having been a January move and a club in upheaval there was a lot of reasons as to why Mudryk dissapointed last season, but this season he has a lot going for him and he’s going to have to step up. I think he will and it’ll be a big disappointment if he doesn’t.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The only player whose top level is Mbappe and bottom level is Alan the Accountant from Sunday League.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Aye it’s always a big problem to deal with when a player has that kind of pace, and there’s a lot of ways managers can use it. It’s a lot harder for a manager when they have a team with no players with it in their locker.

And getting into those said positions will be vital. I’m a big fan of Potter and I was sad about how things ended up for him there, but him and Lampard really struggled when it came to utilising Mudryk. So often in games he’d be picking up the ball in areas and situations that just weren’t inducive in getting the best out of him. Of course he wasn’t blameless and there was more he could have done in a lot of these situations, but ideally you want your manager facilitating scenarios through his build up approach and his tactics in which the opposition get exposed and your dangerous wide players get opportunities to wreak havoc and cause damage. You rightfully mention Enzo as a player who can initiate these moves, and as he can benefit from a direct and willing runner like Mudryk, Mudryk can benefit from being fed by a player with that kind of passing range.

At the risk of conjuring Amadeus, I think Pochettino will be a big help to Mudryk as well. He’s made very good use of that kind of player in the past. With it having been a January move and a club in upheaval there was a lot of reasons as to why Mudryk dissapointed last season, but this season he has a lot going for him and he’s going to have to step up. I think he will and it’ll be a big disappointment if he doesn’t.
Yeah, Potter tenure was very surprising. Maybe he is a long term manager and needs time to implement his ideas, I was also big fan of Potter's work at Brighton.

confidence and momentum is very important in football, whole Chelsea squad lacked it last season and they were under lot of pressure even for simplest of things on the pitch. After that, they just gave up on the season. If they start well, can see them going on a good run. Mudryk looked like good talent before his Chelsea move so won't be surprised if he plays well. It's a fresh start for everyone under Poch.

Their CF looks like a good player too, both as a goal threat and with back to goal. With one game a week, they should be in the mix for top 4.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah, Potter tenure was very surprising. Maybe he is a long term manager and needs time to implement his ideas, I was also big fan of Potter's work at Brighton.
I think that was a big part of it, he’d always taken a long term approach and then suddenly massive amounts of money was spent and big upheaval in the squad over a small amount of time. And while I think sometimes it’s worth the big clubs taking more risks with (at that level) inexperienced managers, with there being so much chaos off the pitch it was a tough situation for a manager new to that level. Though at the time I thought he’d eventually turn it around at Chelsea things just got worse. I think in that situation he got overwhelmed, whereas a veteran manager who’s seen it all would probably have rolled with it a lot better. Must be a bit mental to work with Boehly :lol:

confidence and momentum is very important in football, whole Chelsea squad lacked it last season and they were under lot of pressure even for simplest of things on the pitch. After that, they just gave up on the season. If they start well, can see them going on a good run. Mudryk looked like good talent before his Chelsea move so won't be surprised if he plays well. It's a fresh start for everyone under Poch.

Their CF looks like a good player too, both as a goal threat and with back to goal. With one game a week, they should be in the mix for top 4.
I’d completely forgotten about the striker situation! Yeah you’re right that will have a big effect on Chelsea, and Mudryk too. The squad being so unbalanced made things far worse than they had to be, and I agree about the impact that confidence and momentum has, like you said last season you could see that the players on the pitch were really feeling it, and that they were basically waiting for the season to end.

It’s really shaping up to be an interesting season.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Well-taken goal but what got me excited for the season is that he seems to have remembered that he is quick. I'm not sure what the team instructions were last season, but for one reason or another Mudryk didn't showcase his pace except for the odd moment here and there. It might be pre-season hopium but it seems like he was instructed to be more direct and utilise his pace - being that quick there are only a handful of fullbacks in the game that can keep up with him. If the season started tomorrow I'd start him over Sterling, insanely frustrating player.

Chief123

Seeing so many pages, I thought Mudryk had become un-shit. But it was just @MayosNoun having a car crash series of posts. Thoughts are with him during this difficult time.

Enigma_87

You know who
Mudryk is closer to mbappe than James is closer to Mudryk. That is why the comparison is more apt because of the footballing traits possessed by Mudryk is closer to mbappe than any other footballer that i can recall playing right now. If there are better suggestions than that, I would listen to it.
That’s total crap. On the contrary he’s a lot closer to James than he is to Mbappe.

so far Mudryk has shown that he’s a one trick pony and a goal in a friendly doesn’t really change that.
His finishing is erratic, his first touch too. He is very, very raw and requires a lot of work on the basics and he’s 22 so not exactly that young to compare him with generational talent like Mbappe. He might end up having a career like Lennon and that’s about it.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
That’s total crap. On the contrary he’s a lot closer to James than he is to Mbappe.

so far Mudryk has shown that he’s a one trick pony and a goal in a friendly doesn’t really change that.
His finishing is erratic, his first touch too. He is very, very raw and requires a lot of work on the basics and he’s 22 so not exactly that young to compare him with generational talent like Mbappe. He might end up having a career like Lennon and that’s about it.
The quote below. I believe your opinion is solely based on his time at Chelsea when they were underperforming. Which is a poor sample to make an assessment from. Even then, I would say from that sample he looked like more of than just a speed merchant.

To be fair Mudryk is closer to Mbappe in terms of style of play. Anyone saying he’s just like Dan James is throwing out just as stupid and opinion as if you were to say he’s identical to Mbappe’s current level.

Now the important distinction is that in terms of current quality obviously Mudryk isn’t near Mbappe but I do think there are similarities in how the approach wide forward play that as much as I’d love to laugh along with everyone @Amadaeus does have a point. Dan James didn’t have the technical ability Mudryk does and with a little bit of Googling you can find many more examples of Mudryk being more than a pace merchant

Not many people pay much attention to Ukrainian football (don’t ask why but I have since Ilya Zabarnyi started to emerge) and Mudryk is very talented. I don’t think he’ll be Mbappe level talented but there is not reason he couldn’t become an amazing PL winger who gets 10+ goals and 10+ assists in the league.

Some people look at the fee, see he hasn’t just lit the league on fire in half a season and have written him off ignoring top quality performances in the champions league and his talismanic status in the national team.

He’ll come good just not peak Mbappe good.

A speed merchant alone does not score the goal he did linking up with Jackson. Nor do they play the pass he did for Ukraine, nor do they perform how he did against Celtic, Real Madrid and Ajax.

The jury should be still very much out on him right now.
Great post.

Chief123

Mudryk is closer to mbappe than James is closer to Mudryk. That is why the comparison is more apt because of the footballing traits possessed by Mudryk is closer to mbappe than any other footballer that i can recall playing right now. If there are better suggestions than that, I would listen to it.
This has to be a wind up post. Mudryk the closest player to Mbappe? One is the best player in the world and the other barely looked like a footballer.

Enigma_87

You know who
The quote below. I believe your opinion is solely based on his time at Chelsea when they were underperforming. Which is a poor sample to make an assessment from. Even then, I would say from that sample he looked like more of than just a speed merchant.
Mudryk has played 17 games for Chelsea last season. If that isn’t a big sample size then what is? The 18 game he played in the Ukrainian league the year before ?
Or the 46 games he played from 18-21 again in the Ukrainian league in which he scored 2 goals?

I bet you saw all those Ukrainian games so that you have a better view on him compared to us that watched him only at Chelsea ?

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I actually hope he does well, pace like that in football is very exciting, so I can see why there is a buzz about him.

I think a lot of Chelsea players will be better under a good coach. Fortunately for them, that will include Mudryk, Sterling, Enzo etc…. Unfortunately for them, it will also include Mount (who is a big loss, no matter how hopeful the fanbase are)

I think Jackson is the big takeaway from that game though, rather than Mudryk. He looks so quick and agile with a nice touch. He also made some great runs which PL level defenders had real problems with.

Amadaeus

Mudryk has played 17 games for Chelsea last season. If that isn’t a big sample size then what is? The 18 game he played in the Ukrainian league the year before ?
Or the 46 games he played from 18-21 again in the Ukrainian league in which he scored 2 goals?

I bet you saw all those Ukrainian games so that you have a better view on him compared to us that watched him only at Chelsea ?
17 games for a chelsea team that had poor management and low morale. Better sampling from a team that has good morale and better management.

Enigma_87

You know who
17 games for a chelsea team that had poor management and low morale. Better sampling from a team that has good morale and better management.
So, how many of those games in the Ukrainian league did you see to come to the conclusion that Mudryk is anywhere near Mbappe and not just another speed merchant like Walcott and Lennon?

mshnsh

So, how many of those games in the Ukrainian league did you see to come to the conclusion that Mudryk is anywhere near Mbappe and not just another speed merchant like Walcott and Lennon?
Did you not know that Walcott was better than Messi according to Wenger? Or that he was the new Henry?

Tarrou

truth is he came to that conclusion after a friendly game :lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
Did you not know that Walcott was better than Messi according to Wenger? Or that he was the new Henry?
At least he gets paid to spout that shite, not sure what Amadaeus angle is..
truth is he came to that conclusion after a friendly game :lol:
More likely when poch got the Chelsea job, otherwise he wouldn’t have watched that friendly in the first place.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
I actually hope he does well, pace like that in football is very exciting, so I can see why there is a buzz about him.

I think a lot of Chelsea players will be better under a good coach. Fortunately for them, that will include Mudryk, Sterling, Enzo etc…. Unfortunately for them, it will also include Mount (who is a big loss, no matter how hopeful the fanbase are)

I think Jackson is the big takeaway from that game though, rather than Mudryk. He looks so quick and agile with a nice touch. He also made some great runs which PL level defenders had real problems with.
The pace is actually the least interesting attribute for me in isolation. But when you see someone operate at that speed and play a great reverse pass, or lofted throughball or a clever one two, sometimes with his weaker foot - his raw skillset is quite something. In that speedy clip against Brighton, the actual takeaway is that he plays a near perfect cross and with his weaker foot.

Super happy with Jackson to the point where I wouldn't want the club to sign another striker if it's not Harry Kane. He's got some similarities to Kane as well in the positions he takes up and in his general style of play. I'd much rather see that money invested in midfield and a new GK.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
Our game last night was quite competitive as well, at least Utd seemed up for it, they were sharp and aggressive first half especially. I suppose that's the good thing about playing EPL rivals in pre season, there is an added edge there, even if it's not 100% yet.
The bad thing is losing and fans of both sides going overboard.
Yeah I watched this one as well. I love that added edge. It's always going to be the case with preseason results and fan hype. Will never forget our fanbase saw Marko 'The German Messi' Marin as the second coming after some preseason performances...

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
Before the red, Brighton were sensational. The way they dominate and suffocate teams is amazing.
Super impressive. And we've felt that a few too many times recently. I genuinely haven't seen a team hit Brighton's peak as a unit since the beginning of last season. City obviously have more firepower and can destroy you in a moment but Brighton's team play is exceptional at the moment.

Tarrou

At least he gets paid to spout that shite, not sure what Amadaeus angle is..

More likely when poch got the Chelsea job, otherwise he wouldn’t have watched that friendly in the first place.
yeah, it was definitely after the Poch appointment

I do fear for his mental health if Chelsea feck off Poch like they have so many other good managers.. it's a really tough gig for him and I fear he doesn't have a big enough personality for it

but then, cognitive dissonance is a helluva drug, and at least it'll be fun to watch on here

criticalanalysis

Unless I've missed it, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Brighton had a player sent off (yes, really, in a friendly) at 60 mins when the game was 1-1. Mudryk's goal came after this and then Chelsea scored another 2 more unanswered goals to make it 4-1 but then Brighton got two back to make it 4-3 overall with 10 men later in the game.

It was a good goal mind.

Amadaeus

A quite a few as I have been following mudryk since he was claimed to be the new neymar back then. My sample is much more stronger than yours because I have seen him play in a team where he enjoys playing his football and has the right mindset to succeed. With your perspective you would have written of rashford, shaw and a few of our underperformers during ragnick and Ole term.

Even mudryk is relishing the opportunity to play under Pochettino and said that he is the type of manager he needs to get the best out of him. He was even confidence to say the following tweet below.

You do not seem new to the forums, it is like you have never seen how often I m right about some of these things. If mudryk is fit and Pochettino gives him gametime, he will cook next season.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
A quite a few as I have been following mudryk since he was claimed to be the new neymar back then. My sample is much more stronger than yours because I have seen him play in a team where he enjoys playing his football and has the right mindset to succeed. With your perspective you would have written of rashford, shaw and a few of our underperformers during Rangnick and Ole term.

Even mudryk is relishing the opportunity to play under Pochettino and said that he is the type of manager he needs to get the best out of him. He was even confidence to say the following tweet below.

You do not seem new to the forums, it is like you have never seen how often I m right about some of these things. If mudryk is fit and Pochettino gives him gametime, he will cook next season.
Mate, I'm with you that Mudryk's talented but you aren't doing yourself a favor with this self-adulation. It is the definition of cringeworthy.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
My 2c on Mudryk is that he has a really rare combination of physical traits (pace and short area quickness) and quite good technical ability but that he is also one of the least instinctive footballers you'll ever see at top level in terms of his movement without the ball in possession and he also is kind of lazy out of possession (or at least that is what he showed last year in a dysfunctional side). He always looks best in situations where either he has the ball or he is passing the ball to a teammate and then charging forward for the return ball. Watch a match, forget the ball, and just focus on what Mudryk is doing the other 97% of the time and you end up thinking Wtf????

The effort thing is fixable if he is up for it, which I don't know enough about him to say. But the big question is whether at 22 you can still teach somebody football intelligence - understanding of space, timing, and your own movement in relation to teammates and defenders when his team has the ball but its not at his feet. Other than De Zerbi for a year under hard circumstances, he seems like he has just never had good coaching. So the big unknown is whether a player like that can improve a lot when exposed to good coaching as a full grown professional or whether these are attributes that really need to be ingrained from an earlier development age so that they are second nature by the time you are a professional. I genuinely don't know the answer but it will be interesting to find out.

Enigma_87

You know who
A quite a few as I have been following mudryk since he was claimed to be the new neymar back then. My sample is much more stronger than yours because I have seen him play in a team where he enjoys playing his football and has the right mindset to succeed. With your perspective you would have written of rashford, shaw and a few of our underperformers during Rangnick and Ole term.

First of all that story you posted is from Jan 2023, Mudryk signed the same month for Chelsea, so not exactly bigger sample size is it?

next - 80% wanted Rashford gone year ago, but I wasn’t one of them so your point is pretty moot. Same with Shaw, don’t recall him being on my shortlist either so I don’t see where you got that idea.

Still I haven’t got a clue where you have followed him considering it was quite a surprising transfer at the time and it’s not like the Ukrainian league is really popular.
I myself don’t recall seeing him much before Chelsea and that’s even considering catching some Shakhtar games in CL but have absolutely no recollection of him.

I find it really hard to believe you have followed him prior to Shakhtar - playing for Desna Chernihiv - and the sample size at Shakhtar before Chelsea is pretty much the same.

And lastly even if he looked like world beater in Ukraine( which I highly doubt) that means feck all if he would transfer that ability to PL.

I mean I’m still waiting to see the other 80% of Fred coming from that league.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Strange how despite scouting Mudryk intensively in Ukraine, Amadeus hadn't posted in this thread until a few weeks ago.

Chief123

Strange how despite scouting Mudryk intensively in Ukraine, Amadeus hadn't posted in this thread until a few weeks ago.
It’s the classic “I’ve been following him for years” when they’ve watched a YouTube video.