Nabil Fekir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
L'Equipe report that Liverpool's medical staff feared a re-injury of his knee. An expert physician stated: "when we have an MRI of this type of case, the first thing we see are traces of ligament repair. In this case, what poses a problem no doubt, is the wear of cartilage. It's a risk factor. It can cause pain, functional issues and eventually a lesser resistance to impacts."

So, Klopp's intense football would've made things much worse. Obviously I feel sorry for Fekir as this can have an impact on his future transfers, but I can't blame Liverpool
Liverpool were the ones who kept hyping the transfer up and recorded an interview with Fekir and took photos after the medical took place, so yes they can be blamed. Fekir's head is gonna be so messed up - after the interview, the photos and choosing a shirt number, in his head he would have believed he was a Liverpool player then to have it taken from him like that is pretty cruel.

Liverpool basically did everything: the medical, photos, interview then tried to negotiate a lower deal with Lyon after the player's head was completely turned rather than just pulling out altogether if the medical results were so concerning.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Klopper76, do you live in BC or are you just visiting (I'm guessing the latter, otherwise you'd know it's spelled Columbia not Colombia). That's genuine curiosity, not smartassery, btw.
Your smartassery serves you well. :p

My girlfriend has family out here so we’re visiting from Toronto. Currently in Victoria.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Liverpool were the ones who kept hyping the transfer up and recorded an interview with Fekir and took photos after the medical took place, so yes they can be blamed. Fekir's head is gonna be so messed up - after the interview, the photos and choosing a shirt number, in his head he would have believed he was a Liverpool player then to have it taken from him like that is pretty cruel.

Liverpool basically did everything: the medical, photos, interview then tried to negotiate a lower deal with Lyon after the player's head was completely turned rather than just pulling out altogether if the medical results were so concerning.
It's a completely unethical move from Liverpool. They had two choices, first was to accept his medical condition and pay the original price to get the transfer over the line, second was to stop everything in its tracks and re negotiate with Lyon.

Instead they tried to strong-arm Lyon into accepting a lower price because the player was already invested into being a Liverpool player.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
The only thing i cant get over is why try to brag in the media, before signing the player? They bragged, they saw the medical results, knew they were gonna be fecked over for 60 million so decided to low ball lyon, who asked them to feck off. Liverpool wanted the deal to be broken and wanted to take an advantage of players medical condition and risk a lower amount on him, if lyon say yes, Pool are happy, if they say know then Lyon and player are to be blamed.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC

Agreed. We don't look to good here. We definitely shouldn't have gone through with all that before the deal was concluded.

I feel rather sorry for the poor Fekir. If we don't end up signing him, he probably won't have the warmest feelings towards us. And if we do sign him, we'll probably end up paying more than they initially wanted like the van Dijk deal. Maybe we'll learn some day.

RoyTrenneman

Supports
River,MN UFC,BVB,FC Seoul
Agreed. We don't look to good here. We definitely shouldn't have gone through with all that before the deal was concluded.

I feel rather sorry for the poor Fekir. If we don't end up signing him, he probably won't have the warmest feelings towards us. And if we do sign him, we'll probably end up paying more than they initially wanted like the van Dijk deal. Maybe we'll learn some day.
Indeed.

I think part of the reason they got ahead of themselves is because they were trying to get everything done before the World Cup. I don't know why this was so necessary, to be honest.

It's not like Fekir was going to be in training at Liverpool. Maybe they were afraid of being gazumped in Russia, since there are no Liverpool players on the current France team (or any recent ones I don't think). But honestly, you've no other choice. Lyon said early on that they wanted it to be after the WC (Aulas arguably is obligated to act in the best interest of the shareholders). There wasn't much point to being in a hurry. Lyon probably can't do an agreement even in principle before the end of the month, but you can get as close as possible and then say ok we'll finish this up in July. And then there's no cringey PR mess because you didn't try to rush it.

If not for the PR stuff and the leaks to the press, then if it didn't happen, it's just a case where the player and club agreed to a contract, but couldn't agree to a fee with the player's current club. Which happens decently often.

But Lyon wanted to wait, and Liverpool pushed to do it now. And then after the medical they come back and want to change things? It's not hard to see why Lyon and Aulas would be put off by that. Like I said, I expected that would be the response. Aulas badly took advantage of Edwards, who is a great analyst but no good at this stuff.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I always do that now that I think about it. :lol:
I still think the transfer will be made in the end, maybe for less money ? I think trying to finalize it with a player who is away at the WC isn't easy. Fekir didn't seem bothered when he played yesterday so it's just a case of being patient for Liverpool

ericking

Somewhat ironically- Liverpool did something similar to Depay.

And now that I think of it- Gareth Barry, Charlie Adam, Salah the first time, Van Dijk.......

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I still think the transfer will be made in the end, maybe for less money ? I think trying to finalize it with a player who is away at the WC isn't easy. Fekir didn't seem bothered when he played yesterday so it's just a case of being patient for Liverpool
I don’t think it will.

I’m sure most on here will decide not to believe this (which is fine) but the Telegraph reported today that Liverpool backed out on Friday after Fekir had his medical, did the interview etc. They also said that Liverpool wouldn’t be going back in for him and are thinking about other targets. Could be that both sides backed out for different reasons. The club clearly jumped the gun by briefing the likes of Reddy and Joyce about the fee being agreed. They were naive to assume that everything would be fine with the medical (which is clearly what caused the deal to break down).

Regardless of who backed out of the deal, I think this is one that won’t happen now.

We should prioritise a keeper and a CB anyway. Signing Keita and Fabinho has gone a long way towards reinforcing our midfield but successful teams usually have a very good goalkeeper. We haven’t had a decent one since Reina the ones we’ve had since have been at fault in big moments (Mignolet in the League Cup final, Karius in the CL final).

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Is it the usual way clubs do things? Get the PR things done, the interviews, photos, website revelations etc before a player passes their medical, or did Liverpool take some shortcuts along the way here and it all blew up in their faces?

Imagine being Fekir right now. He's done the interview and the photoshoots, and the transfer fell apart, with the world being told that he's got a dodgy knee. That's fecked up.
They're famous for jumping the gun.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don’t think it will.

I’m sure most on here will decide not to believe this (which is fine) but the Telegraph reported today that Liverpool backed out on Friday after Fekir had his medical, did the interview etc. They also said that Liverpool wouldn’t be going back in for him and are thinking about other targets. Could be that both sides backed out for different reasons. The club clearly jumped the gun by briefing the likes of Reddy and Joyce about the fee being agreed. They were naive to assume that everything would be fine with the medical (which is clearly what caused the deal to break down).

Regardless of who backed out of the deal, I think this is one that won’t happen now.

We should prioritise a keeper and a CB anyway. Signing Keita and Fabinho has gone a long way towards reinforcing our midfield but successful teams usually have a very good goalkeeper. We haven’t had a decent one since Reina the ones we’ve had since have been at fault in big moments (Mignolet in the League Cup final, Karius in the CL final).
Time will tell, french pundits seemed confident that a solution will be found. Maybe they are clueless

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The club clearly jumped the gun by briefing the likes of Reddy and Joyce about the fee being agreed. They were naive to assume that everything would be fine with the medical (which is clearly what caused the deal to break down).
No, briefing the press about the deal being agreed is sort of stupid, but not really jumping the gun. They jumped the gun when they had him pose for pics in a liverpool shirt and interviewed him for the TV. That's the hilarious part about all this

Btw: generally the pics and interviews are done after the medical and either after or just before the contracts are signed. That is to say, when you have the player go through that stuff the deal IS effectively done. Liverpool must have had the results of the medical on their hands when they decided to go through with all that

haram

I don’t think it will.

How do you do interviews and getting a player to pose in the clubs shirt before receiving the medical results?

kafkawithaspirin

Supports
Liverpool
I assume they had a tight schedule because of the friendly and France flying out to Russia after that, so decided to do the PR stuff while the medical team (and possibly a third party from the US?) assessed the medical result. That's the only explanation I can imagine. There have been a couple of BTS videos about these signing days lately and in all of them the players passed the medical before doing the interview stuff.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
No, briefing the press about the deal being agreed is sort of stupid, but not really jumping the gun. They jumped the gun when they had him pose for pics in a liverpool shirt and interviewed him for the TV. That's the hilarious part about all this

Btw: generally the pics and interviews are done after the medical and either after or just before the contracts are signed. That is to say, when you have the player go through that stuff the deal IS effectively done. Liverpool must have had the results of the medical on their hands when they decided to go through with all that
How do you do interviews and getting a player to pose in the clubs shirt before receiving the medical results?
It's not trying to negotiate a lower fee that's the problem here, it's the order in which we (apparently) tried to do this all. It should've been:

1) Agreement with player and club
2) Medical
3) Issue, so back out or negotiate a lower fee
4) Stop negotiations or new agreement
5) Player interview and pictures

Instead, we opted for:

1) Agreement with player and club
2) Medical
3) Player interviews and pictures
4) Presume they'd agree to a lower fee

I don't know where the issue occurred in this scenario - if it's directly after the medical, it's stupid on our part to just presume that Lyon would agree to a lower fee. If the issue during the medical only came to our attention after the player interview and pictures, it's also stupid to do that stuff before the outcome of the medical is known. Either way, it's not negotiating a lower fee that's the problem here imo but the order in which we tried to conclude the deal. Leaking stuff to Joyce and Reddy was stupid as well especially after what happened with Van Dijk. Why we feel the need to do that is beyond me, it's not like waiting a day until after it's official would make a difference.

RoyTrenneman

Supports
River,MN UFC,BVB,FC Seoul
Leaking stuff to Joyce and Reddy was stupid as well especially after what happened with Van Dijk. Why we feel the need to do that is beyond me, it's not like waiting a day until after it's official would make a difference.
Other than what they actually did, which was stupid, this was the other stupid thing. The way they handled Fabinho was perfect; that's exactly how it should be every time on their end. They can't control what agents and other clubs do, but there's really only bad that can come from leaking a buy as done before it's done.

The French media has been ahead of this story from the start and they seem to think something is still on, which suggests they don't think Liverpool pulled out because of a medical. Honestly it's hard to know what Liverpool's standards are -- they buy Ings who had several knee problems, Oxlade-Chamberlain, go to great lengths for Van Dijk (who is great and was absolutely worth going for despite his injury, but still...one wonders why he was difference from Fekir in this way)...but they flag up Remy who has played for several clubs, and now this -- whatever *this* is.

Last edited:

Adcuth

Daily mail reporting that jose has held talks with Lyon regarding a move for him now

Alfie092

How good is he really? And if he was to sign for us, which I doubt would happen how would he fit in considering his best position is a number 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.