Naby Keita

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Have liverpool agreed a deal with lepzig or has he signed for them? I know many think this is dumb but he cannot sign for Liverpool until he is a lepzig player, since this is not a loan back agreement, Lepzig will hold the registry of the player, it might be that if he has a great season, barca or bayern might trigger his buyout next year and give him the option of signing for them. I think it is not possible for him to sign a Liverpool contract while being already contractually bound to lepzig. This could turn messy for Liverpool, although i am sure liverpool would have ensured that this does not happen but technically he can only sign his contract with liverpool after his registery is released by lepzig which wont be till next year.

Sad Chris

I disagree. I think we're spending that extra money because we really want him and expect a bigger club than ours to snatch him up next summer if we don't do it now.
And add to that the fact that Liverpool in this moment are playing CL and seem to be on the way back to the top. Both of which seem unlikely come the end of this season, based upon the past 20+ years.

At the moment you seem like an exciting club to join based upon the additional coverage and love you've received in Germany due to Klopp. Little do they know that this is part of the annual boom-bust-cycle.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool Football Club can confirm they have reached an agreement with RB Leipzig for the future transfer of Naby Keita.

The Reds have agreed a deal with the German club and the midfielder that will see the 22-year-old move to Anfield on July 1, 2018 following the conclusion of the current season.

Keita, a Guinea international, joined Leipzig from Red Bull Salzburg in 2016 and scored eight goals in 31 Bundesliga appearances last term to help them to a second-place finish.

“I am delighted that an agreement has been reached which will allow me to join Liverpool Football Club next summer, when I will become part of a project that excites me greatly,” he said.

“My commitment to RBL remains absolute for the remainder of my time at the club. I have given my all every time I have worn the shirt – that will be the case until the final whistle, in my final appearance.

“Having my future resolved means I can now focus on helping RBL achieve great things this season. Until I join my new club, next summer, I will remain an interested supporter from a distance.”
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/amp/news/first-team/273590-liverpool-agree-deal-to-sign-naby-keita

Sp00ks11

Meh.. Liverpool couldn't win the league with Gerrard and Alonso in the middle of the park. Just like Arsenal I don't even see them as a threat.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Like a few I'm somewhat surprised he has agreed to go to Liverpool, no offence but there are unarguably bigger clubs than them about and Keita could play for virtually any team in the world in my opinion, brilliant player.

Great business by them and I'm actually very happy that he's not ended up at Chelsea or City or somewhere, hopefully a few more types of these signings for the Liverpool's of the league and we can look forward to even more competitive title challenges and a stronger top-end for the PL to represent in Europe.

barmyarmy

Meh.. Liverpool couldn't win the league with Gerrard and Alonso in the middle of the park. Just like Arsenal I don't even see them as a threat.
Famous chants from them will be in full flow: Next season will be ours :D

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
And Mascherano. That was one hell of a midfield. I still feel very sad that team with Rafa couldn't do it.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
How good is this guy?
Personally, I've yet to see anything that I would really identify as a weakness in him, he's just a real good all-rounder with a bit of everything. Technically decent, can break up the play, strong, good engine, composed, an eye for a pass and even chips in with a few goals.

I reckon within the next couple of years - assuming he carries on progressing - he'll be in the top midfielders in the world bracket/discussion.

A few highlights from his 60 minutes against Stoke in pre-season below:

izec

How good is this guy?
Very good. Fits them perfectly, complete player. Will have a huge impact on them, especially the transitioning from winning the ball to going forward. Still young and very good already. He is the heartbeat of Leipzig and arguably their best player, a lot of people will be surprised how good he is, especially on the ball.

barmyarmy

Hopefully Keita puts a clause if Liverpool doesn't qualify for CL next season then he won't sign for them.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Hopefully Keita puts a clause if Liverpool doesn't qualify for CL next season then he won't sign for them.
Yeah I don't like the sound of that 'future transfer' wording. It's as meaningless as Coutinho signing a 5 year contract. Liepzig could renege, or like you say, if for example Mane has his head turned next and gets pissed off with Liverpool Keita might think nah.

kdmaka

Seems like a good future signing, if they get a decent goal keeper and a strong CB next next year could be their year

Bestietom

Could it be that Liverpool are preparing for Coutinho to go, this season or next season.... It is a funny agreement with Leipzig, for Keita

Is this why they have invested in Keita, and are preparing for more transfers before deadline day Thursday..

Lemar is another that I cannot understand....They already have 2 Wingers in Mane,, and Salah, and I really cannot see Lemar warming the bench...

I really thought Klupp was a good manager, but he do need to improve in other areas before he brings in another winger, and a costly winger at that....

Liverpool, need a Top CB and a Top CF before they think about anyone else coming in, and Klupp would be better off spending his monies for these areas firstly.....

I really do not want to see them bring in these top players, as they certainly would be a danger to us, if they were to bring in the right ones...

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Could it be that Liverpool are preparing for Coutinho to go, this season or next season.... It is a funny agreement with Leipzig, for Keita

Is this why they have invested in Keita, and are preparing for more transfers before deadline day Thursday..

Lemar is another that I cannot understand....They already have 2 Wingers in Mane,, and Salah, and I really cannot see Lemar warming the bench...

I really thought Klupp was a good manager, but he do need to improve in other areas before he brings in another winger, and a costly winger at that....

Liverpool, need a Top CB and a Top CF before they think about anyone else coming in, and Klupp would be better off spending his monies for these areas firstly.....

I really do not want to see them bring in these top players, as they certainly would be a danger to us, if they were to bring in the right ones...
I've never seen Lemar play, so I'm not sure what his best position is. But it seems to me, that he'd be a replacement for Coutinho. I can't imagine keeping Coutinho and still buy Lemar.

As you say, we need a CB much more than another attacking player.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Would be a great signing for pool. Quality player. I understand LFC and rbl. I struggle to understand what keita gets out of this. He is young, not injury prone and very consistent. He'll always attract interest from clubs like Liverpool, even after a mediocre season. Rbl are also not pennypincher and play international.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I've never been overly keen on these deals that prevent the player from moving until the following summer. A lot can go wrong inside a year and very often does. Leipzig clearly weren't prepared to accept anything less though.

Assuming all goes to plan, this deal could be great for Liverpool. A real bold show of intent.

LLMU

I follow RB Leipzig closely last season and this guy is always one that stand out together with Timo Werner. But i still wonder if RB Leipzig is to go on and win something this season, will he leaves ?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I don't like the sound of that 'future transfer' wording. It's as meaningless as Coutinho signing a 5 year contract. Liepzig could renege, or like you say, if for example Mane has his head turned next and gets pissed off with Liverpool Keita might think nah.
It does sound iffy but I expect we're reading in to it. It's on the club website now. The key thing now is to get players in for this window as amongst the furore we're still short.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I follow RB Leipzig closely last season and this guy is always one that stand out together with Timo Werner. But i still wonder if RB Leipzig is to go on and win something this season, will he leaves ?
He's signed a contract with us so im pretty sure he has to.... just watch his Leipzig team knock us out of the UCL in the last 16 now :wenger:

DocRockter

This the guy who injured his team-mate when he didn't get his move earlier?? Chooses the right club if the move goes through..

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Gutted. He was a player i was hoping we would sign. Most complete midfielder around atm, and unfortunately, a real coup for Liverpool. Klopp could even take you to the title with a player like that.......an unpleasant thought!:nervous:

RedOldBoy

Gutted. He was a player i was hoping we would sign. Most complete midfielder around atm, and unfortunately, a real coup for Liverpool. Klopp could even take you to the title with a player like that.......an unpleasant thought!:nervous:
I think Pogba is a similar type of midfielder and better imo.

Unmutual

Would be a great signing for pool. Quality player. I understand LFC and rbl. I struggle to understand what keita gets out of this. He is young, not injury prone and very consistent. He'll always attract interest from clubs like Liverpool, even after a mediocre season. Rbl are also not pennypincher and play international.
Good point. Football is football, in 12 months lots could change. Liverpool may end up out of the top 4 & Klopp, Mane and anyone else of note could be gone for all he knows. Plus if he has a really good season he could have every club in Europe banging at this door and he's committed to going to a Europa League team with no star player and a yet to be decided manager.

I wouldn't say that's particularly likely, but you can hardly rule out in the modern game.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I don't really want to get into subjective comparisons at this point. Keita is still raw, but has huge potential. Saying that, i doubt we will be able to get a proper read on Keita until he has played under Klopp for a season or 2. Still, I expect him to become one of the very best about during that time frame.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Why weren't any big clubs in for him? Barcelona could have used an actual good midfielder instead of signing Paulinho.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Fantastic player. Extremely complete midfielder. Great in defense, good passer and an exceptional dribbler of the ball. He possesses a very rare skillset and will go on to be a worldclass player. There is not one topteam out there where he would look out of place. This is a great purchase for Liverpool. I honestly didn't think they would be able to pull this off.
Gutted we didn't get him. Players like him don't come around very often.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
You can almost always group in all B2b mids if convenient for an argument, for instance looking at you guys both Pogba and Matic are b2b but obviously they both veer towards having more strengths in one side of the game. The curious thing about Keita is he comes out scoring highly all across the board. There isn't an area where he's deficient in.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
You can almost always group in all B2b mids if convenient for an argument, for instance looking at you guys both Pogba and Matic are b2b but obviously they both veer towards having more strengths in one side of the game. The curious thing about Keita is he comes out scoring highly all across the board. There isn't an area where he's deficient in.
I agree. Mind you, his choice of future club could suggest there are question marks over his decision making.......:angel:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's signing a pre-contract, obviously. Those tend to be legally-binding generally. Unless he's got an escape clause in it, little chance he could renege if liverpool don't accept it. Leipzig have no reason to, since they're getting more money like this

whatwha

He wasn't supposed to be for sale. Pool have done really well to develop this scenario from the ashes of 2 failed bids.
Are agents allowed to inform a potential buying club of a release clause coming into effect?

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Are agents allowed to inform a potential buying club of a release clause coming into effect?
Pure speculation on my part, but I don't see how they could be prevented from doing so, tbh. Leipzig didn't want to sell this year, and i would imagine Liverpool would have known all along about the release clause. Makes me think they were still willing to pay more now to get their man, than involve themselves in a release clause race next season. Seems like they have now reached an agreement that suits both parties.

whatwha

Pure speculation on my part, but I don't see how they could be prevented from doing so, tbh. Leipzig didn't want to sell this year, and i would imagine Liverpool would have known all along about the release clause. Makes me think they were still willing to pay more now to get their man, than involve themselves in a release clause race next season. Seems like they have now reached an agreement that suits both parties.
Wonder how much they've paid on top of the release clause to reach an agreement now.
Also wonder why the player would agree to go to Liverpool now when he might have options of top clubs after another good season for Leipzig...