Nani | Contract & Transfer talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Nani has great potential, but potential to be better than Robben is potential to be the third best player in the world, doubt he has that.
I dont think he will be better than Robben, but in terms of his skillset, Nani theoretically could be in my opinion. Robben is a one trick pony much like our own Valencia, albeit Robben is obviously a lot better at his trick. Nani is much more versatile and just as talented.

Firstouch20

Flair players rarely succeeded at this club during Ferguson's reign. You would do well to name a single flair player or even a playmaker we bought that went on to do well here. Ronaldo is an exception ofcourse but he is a once in a generation player, a freak. Nani did have a spell between 2010 - 2012 when he was one of the top three wingers in europe imo. SAF never quite warmed to him i felt. He probably saw Nani as Ronaldo's ugly brother, a bit like how Denethor cruelly despised his youngest son Faramir because he couldn't live up to Boromir's reputation.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I dont think he will be better than Robben, but in terms of his skillset, Nani theoretically could be in my opinion. Robben is a one trick pony much like our own Valencia, albeit Robben is obviously a lot better at his trick. Nani is much more versatile and just as talented.
Do you really think that Robben is a one trick pony? He has played on the other wing on plenty ocasions and has looked more dangerous than Nani and Valencia have done ever combined. If you watched Robben at the WC too, it wasnt just cutting inside and curling them in, he went in center, he went wide, he went 1 vs 1, went sprinting, made those runs, he can do it all.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Do you really think that Robben is a one trick pony? He has played on the other wing on plenty ocasions and has looked more dangerous than Nani and Valencia have done ever combined. If you watched Robben at the WC too, it wasnt just cutting inside and curling them in, he went in center, he went wide, he went 1 vs 1, went sprinting, made those runs, he can do it all.
Robben is obviously an excellent player, so perhaps the term "one trick pony" was inaccurate - but the old "cut inside and shoot with the left foot" is without a doubt his strongest/trademark move and one which a substantial amount of his success is based on.

Back to topic - I was simply suggesting that LVG could utilise Nani in a similar way to how he used Robben in the WC, and expect to get broadly similar results.

Andrew~

Robben is obviously an excellent player, so perhaps the term "one trick pony" was inaccurate - but the old "cut inside and shoot with the left foot" is without a doubt his strongest/trademark move and one which a substantial amount of his success is based on.

Back to topic - I was simply suggesting that LVG could utilise Nani in a similar way to how he used Robben in the WC, and expect to get broadly similar results.
The 'trick' that separates Robben from other players is incredible close control and pace. Not necessarily that move.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Just to clarify this matter, to put an end to speculation and because of supporters unrest, Sporting has issued a statement saying that there is no possibility that Nani will leave in January. Contract stipulates a season long loan and no recall clause. Hope this settles it.

markhrad

I am glad he cannot come back in January. A full season away will help him to rebuild his confidence and may enable him to try new tricks without risking fan abuse.

Ekeke

Just to clarify this matter, to put an end to speculation and because of supporters unrest, Sporting has issued a statement saying that there is no possibility that Nani will leave in January. Contract stipulates a season long loan and no recall clause. Hope this settles it.
Cant we send Rojo back to make it happen? :lol:

McMarmite

As much as I would like to see him here again on top form, bringing him back in January would be stupid. One injury/one shit game and fans will be on his back as usual, and his confidence will be ruined.

Bayern use him in a position where robben can do more damage. The fact he cuts in and shoots is more often than not, due to his position in the team. LVG used him diffrrently. You have to get the best out your players.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
:lol:

Womp

idiot
Don't want him back, he seems to be enjoying his football again and is getting better with every game as his confidence grows after a terrible 3 or so years. If he comes back here he will turn back to shit again, fans and staff alike have made up their mind on him. I bet there are still some individuals on their high horses of the opinion that he is shite. It's no coincidence he has turned into a beast over a few games in a new team. He should Finish his loan with Sporting then move abroad to a team competing in Europe and keep showing people what he's about.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Shimo

Another quote from RoM site:

It is good to be back among the fans. I am in good form and I will continue to work hard. I do not know whether I will return to Manchester United in January but I am not saying no.
Maybe he knows something we don't ;). Would love to have him back for the last half playing down the right side.

cacs

some ppl making alot out of the tackle on Di Maria. It's a sore one, but its a common tackle and obviously not intended as nasty. Happens a lot at training and in small 2v3 2v5 games

jem

Don't want him back, he seems to be enjoying his football again and is getting better with every game as his confidence grows after a terrible 3 or so years. If he comes back here he will turn back to shit again, fans and staff alike have made up their mind on him. I bet there are still some individuals on their high horses of the opinion that he is shite. It's no coincidence he has turned into a beast over a few games in a new team. He should Finish his loan with Sporting then move abroad to a team competing in Europe and keep showing people what he's about.
The thing is I don't think he's ever really been shit here. Inconsistent, yes, but not shit (unlike say Valencia and Young the last several years, both of whom have looked absolutely hopeless at times.) The problem with Nani (and it's admittedly a big one,) is that he can't stay healthy.

I doubt many will agree with me, but I actually think Di Maria's offered up a pretty good imitation of Nani this season: moments of sublime brilliance (ala Nani from 2010 - 2012,) mixed in with frustrating inconsistency (ala Nani during the rest of his career.) I'd love to see them both patrolling the wings next season.

Womp

idiot
The thing is I don't think he's ever really been shit here. Inconsistent, yes, but not shit (unlike say Valencia and Young the last several years, both of whom have looked absolutely hopeless at times.) The problem with Nani (and it's admittedly a big one,) is that he can't stay healthy.

I doubt many will agree with me, but I actually think Di Maria's offered up a pretty good imitation of Nani this season: moments of sublime brilliance (ala Nani from 2010 - 2012,) mixed in with frustrating inconsistency (ala Nani during the rest of his career.) I'd love to see them both patrolling the wings next season.
Fair point, I agree with you. It's hard to understand how someone blessed with as much talent as Nani could be such an ineffective player for reasons other than mismanagement and constant injuries. The only huge difference between Di Maria and Nani being the fans love Di Maria, he is a big superstar name who fans see as the type of player to take us forward, they don't seem to have the same opinion as Nani. It's come to the point with most fans that they judge Nani on their perspective of him rather than his performances, imo. He could be putting in Ronaldo-esque performances and there'd still be some fickle fans dissecting his performances to try and find those one or two moments where he was shite. Don't think he can recover from England and their fans' perspective of him unless he decides to become Messi and get insane numbers consistently overnight.

jem

Fair point, I agree with you. It's hard to understand how someone blessed with as much talent as Nani could be such an ineffective player for reasons other than mismanagement and constant injuries. The only huge difference between Di Maria and Nani being the fans love Di Maria, he is a big superstar name who fans see as the type of player to take us forward, they don't seem to have the same opinion as Nani. It's come to the point with most fans that they judge Nani on their perspective of him rather than his performances, imo. He could be putting in Ronaldo-esque performances and there'd still be some fickle fans dissecting his performances to try and find those one or two moments where he was shite. Don't think he can recover from England and their fans' perspective of him unless he decides to become Messi and get insane numbers consistently overnight.
And a crucial factor is that I sense that Nani is very sensitive to how he's perceived by the fans; thereby creating a bit of a vicious cycle (circle? I'm never sure...) I think that's a key difference between him and the likes of Ronaldo and Robben. Hopefully Di Maria is made of sterner stuff.

Jaytay

Yep so true, I even said before we bought Di Maria that he is very similar to Nani. He can have some really good games and then some really bad games where he gives the ball away a lot, he holds onto he ball too long, his crosses go wayward. He is similar to Nani in that he doesn't score much but at his best you will get a lot off assists. He's a great player but he can be inconsistent. I think not getting games and negativity from fans affected Nani.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Nani has amazing close control and excellent touch. He is strong and fast and can shoot and cross well with both feet. Actually, his raw attributes are only slightly below Ronaldo and Robben and on par with Hazard and Ribery. This is why so many people think he can come back here and do well.

His problem has always been injuries and decision making. It's pretty obvious.

All hope is not lost. Robben, a similar player has actually gotten better at 30. Nani won't lose his explosiveness anytime soon. He is a physical specimen and let's just hope he is mentally over his injuries and poor form because those are the only things holding him back from destroying defenders like he used to.

SqueakyWeasel

Flair players rarely succeeded at this club during Ferguson's reign. You would do well to name a single flair player or even a playmaker we bought that went on to do well here. Ronaldo is an exception ofcourse but he is a once in a generation player, a freak. Nani did have a spell between 2010 - 2012 when he was one of the top three wingers in europe imo. SAF never quite warmed to him i felt. He probably saw Nani as Ronaldo's ugly brother, a bit like how Denethor cruelly despised his youngest son Faramir because he couldn't live up to Boromir's reputation.
Cantona

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wow, a few months good form for a smaller club and Nani is suddenly being compared favourably to Robben and Di Maria? That only makes sense if you ignore the last several years of football.

Womp

idiot
Wow, a few months good form for a smaller club and Nani is suddenly being compared favourably to Robben and Di Maria? That only makes sense if you ignore the last several years of football.
To be fair if we were to consider the last few years of football Di Maria is also a highly inconsistent winger, who is worth nowhere near the praise or money he is receiving now. Things change. Don't know why everyone keeps using this "Small team" argument, he's performing in Europe, in the Champions League. You know, that competition we're not even qualified for. He is behind only Messi in terms of successful takes on in the Champions League, he's running at defenders and it's working more than most other players in Europe. Also, don't see where anyone compares him to Robben, they say he has a similar skill set in that he's a good dribbler when on his game and rapid quick, they also say Robben is also a player who went through many difficulties as a player until he began shining in the latter years of his career, don't see how saying the same for Nani is all that crazy considering his recent form and how he seems to be improving every game he plays.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Another quote from RoM site:

Maybe he knows something we don't ;). Would love to have him back for the last half playing down the right side.
I'd like to see him back, as we are lacking an injection of pace and unpredictability.

Still, is it possible to haul a player back mid-loan? There are always rumours surrounding certain loanees being recalled now and again, but I can't remember seeing it happen.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Nani has amazing close control and excellent touch. He is strong and fast and can shoot and cross well with both feet. Actually, his raw attributes are only slightly below Ronaldo and Robben and on par with Hazard and Ribery. This is why so many people think he can come back here and do well.

His problem has always been injuries and decision making. It's pretty obvious.

All hope is not lost. Robben, a similar player has actually gotten better at 30. Nani won't lose his explosiveness anytime soon. He is a physical specimen and let's just hope he is mentally over his injuries and poor form because those are the only things holding him back from destroying defenders like he used to.
Not sure about the comparison made here bit i do agree with the raw idea. He has very good technique but frustratingly he isn't using it at the right time consistent enough. I think it's a mental thing. His composure is also questionable and it's something you can rarely train.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I'd like to see him back, as we are lacking an injection of pace and unpredictability.

Still, is it possible to haul a player back mid-loan? There are always rumours surrounding certain loanees being recalled now and again, but I can't remember seeing it happen.
I think it all depends on the terms of the loan. I would imagine that the other club may favour a loan that enables them to plan much longer term e.g. whole season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Where is that happening?
Walrus said:

"I would say that Nani still has the potential to be better than Robben (though it would be a tough ask) as he is more versatile and less of a one trick pony."

and:

"Robben is a one trick pony much like our own Valencia, albeit Robben is obviously a lot better at his trick. Nani is much more versatile and just as talented."

while Womp said:

"The only huge difference between Di Maria and Nani being the fans love Di Maria, he is a big superstar name who fans see as the type of player to take us forward, they don't seem to have the same opinion as Nani."

Ole'sbodyguard

Walrus said:

"I would say that Nani still has the potential to be better than Robben (though it would be a tough ask) as he is more versatile and less of a one trick pony."

and:

"Robben is a one trick pony much like our own Valencia, albeit Robben is obviously a lot better at his trick. Nani is much more versatile and just as talented."

while Womp said:

"The only huge difference between Di Maria and Nani being the fans love Di Maria, he is a big superstar name who fans see as the type of player to take us forward, they don't seem to have the same opinion as Nani."
There's some Di Maria comparisons in the bringing Nani back in January thread as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.