Nani | Contract & Transfer talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

The Bebe deal is the strangest thing I ever remember happening at United. I expect one day the truth will come out.

As for Nani, its a shame he wont stay at Sporting. He's clearly thriving being the main man, in an environment where he is loved. I do think that is the key to Nani, he's the type of player that needs an arm around the shoulder and to feel loved. I do wonder if he'd be happy to take a major wage cut to join you guys permanently, stranger things have happened.

Skills

Snitch
Weird isn't it, his injury problems seem to be behind him now that he's playing or expected to play every game. Young was invincible injury wise at Villa as well before turning into a regular crock when he moved here.

In fact the least injury prone of our wingers (apart from his big one) was Valencia who seemed to be the first name on the team sheet no matter what.

Ekeke

I think the key is just for him to play every week, and possibly not have fans groaning if he misses a pass because they know that he's likely to make up for it with a nice cross

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
As for Nani, its a shame he wont stay at Sporting. He's clearly thriving being the main man, in an environment where he is loved. I do think that is the key to Nani, he's the type of player that needs an arm around the shoulder and to feel loved. I do wonder if he'd be happy to take a major wage cut to join you guys permanently, stranger things have happened.
Completely agree with you mate. He's a confidence player.

I would love for him to stay but i think he only came because of special circunstancies with the Rojo deal, United paying his wages and we playing in the Champions. As much as i want him to stay, i think he deserves another chance in a top european league.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I think the key is just for him to play every week, and possibly not have fans groaning if he misses a pass because they know that he's likely to make up for it with a nice cross
He has to get used to it and do his job. In this second stint at Sporting, he's like a god for the supporters because he returned to help us after achieving so much at United and our national team but before he left for United in the first time, he got booed plenty of times. It's about his playing style.

Hed Zitin

He won't come back here and make it work. Purely a prediction, but there are a lot of fans at OT that have made their minds up on him and any mistakes and they'll get on his back. He gets more stick than anyone since Fletcher played out wide.

He's grown enormously in confidence in an environment that is very comfortable for him.

I'd love it if he came back and made it work, because he is a cracking player when he's on it and well worth having around.

Brophs

The One and Only
The Bebe deal is the strangest thing I ever remember happening at United. I expect one day the truth will come out.

Bungs for everyone.

Story out.

Womp

idiot
What did Sporting feed him? We tried boosting his confidence for like 4 years and they manage to do it overnight?

markhrad

I think players like Nani need to have the play revolve around them. Unfortunately at Utd that distinction went to Rooney. Rooney likes to whip the pass out to the right wing and then head into the box to meet the cross. Nani is too creative to be that robotic so when he tries to work his magic Rooney would be upset that he did not cross the ball. I think this is where fan dissatisfaction with him originated.

saivet

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Weird, I was just thinking about Bebe. Not in a weird way.

Checked his stats and he's yet to feature this season. Has he just been injured?

He doesn't have his own thread and I can't be bothered to create one.
Yeah, i thought about posting that Queiroz link in a Bebé thread but i think there isn't any since he was sold to Benfica. He isn't important enough for a new thread in the FF.

He's struggling like he struggled at United. Playing either at United or Benfica isn't the same as playing at Paços Ferreira. Much more demanding and bigger pressure. The Benfica manager doesn't trust him and they have alot of better opttions for his position. Doubt he will play more than a couple of games in the portuguese cup and league cup.

Devil may care

I said in this thread previously that I thought this was a shop window loan, but if he keeps up this form across the season then LvG surely has to consider bringing him back, there aren't that many options out there with the skill set Nani has as a wide forward in a 4-3-3.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Glad hes doing well. Its the consistency of games that is doing wonders for him more than anything. The whole start/stop appearances for United in the last two seasons did him no good.
This. I've always believed if we'd shown enough faith in him by playing him for a run of games he'd have begun to replicate his 2010-2012 form. Even when he played poorly, he still backed himself to try and create and showed positive intent. Was sickening to see him benched for the likes of Young/Valencia. He's currently a much better player than Januzaj, who has been deemed good enough to start in our biggest games of the season so far. Would love to have him in our squad right now.

JUPITER

This. I've always believed if we'd shown enough faith in him by playing him for a run of games he'd have begun to replicate his 2010-2012 form. Even when he played poorly, he still backed himself to try and create and showed positive intent. Was sickening to see him benched for the likes of Young/Valencia. He's currently a much better player than Januzaj, who has been deemed good enough to start in our biggest games of the season so far. Would love to have him in our squad right now.
I completely agree with you. Some of the handling of our players has been questionable at times in recent years and Nani is a prime example.

I'd also point to Jones and Smalling who were bought and then played out of position more than they were played in position during crucial years of their development.

Last edited:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He will be back. Fergie rated him highly too. Giving him the start against Madrid in the second leg blew me away. He created the goal before being wrongly sent off.

jem

I think an in-form Nani would be a huge benefit to our team. I'd love to see him get one more shot (and hopefully stay healthy during that time.)

ZDwyr

Glad he's doing well. If he is in form then I'd take him back (if he wanted to return, he sounded a bit unsure). I think the comment someone made about him being the victim of the 3-5-2 is accurate. He'd be great in the current system if he was playing well.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Does he work hard enough to be a LVG player? Can't see him in a United shirt again.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
One of the best transfer deals of all time, involving United as the mugs.

Cina

We'd have gotten absolute peanuts for him this summer, now we could get a really good fee or (unlikely) he might even stay and be a top player for us again, he certainly has the confidence back.

Kostur

海尔的老板
We'd have gotten absolute peanuts for him this summer, now we could get a really good fee or (unlikely) he might even stay and be a top player for us again, he certainly has the confidence back.
And he wouldn't play half as much here as he does at Sporting, thus he wouldn't regain either his form or confidence.

Bar the sole fact that we're paying his wages I can't see any negatives in this move really.

Kag

Nani having a poor work rate is one of those annoying myths that seem to never go away. He tracks his midfield runners and helps out his full back no more or less than most industrious wingers.

He has his flaws, but lack of effort has never been one of them.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
As far as loan deals go, when a player gets a lot of games and plays very well I would have thought everything is going quite well for the club that loaned him out.

Especially when all the evidence of the last few seasons (and, especially, in pre-season this summer) would indicate that we were unlikely to get the same performances out of him had he stayed put.

finneh

What did Sporting feed him? We tried boosting his confidence for like 4 years and they manage to do it overnight?
Some player's just require a hell of a lot of trust to find their best form. When Ronaldo left United a lot of trust was placed on Nani and he thrived (over the next 85 Premier League games he scored 20 goals and assisted if memory serves around double that). I remember saying the same about Rafael before the 12/13 season, when he was fit it was a coin toss as to whether he'd play and consequently his good performances were sporadic. I think we are possibly seeing it with Januzaj at the moment; trying to do far too much because of a fear of being dropped if he doesn't score a couple.

Obviously it's a difficult situation for a manager because without the performances how can you trust that a player will come good if given 8-9 games in a row? With Nani though I always thought his performances 09-12 warranted an extended run of games regardless; it's like with RVP at the moment, he's not being given games based on current form, but on the belief that he he'll be back to his best after 10-15 games in a row.

Last edited:

Cina

As far as loan deals go, when a player gets a lot of games and plays very well I would have thought everything is going quite well for the club that loaned him out.

Especially when all the evidence of the last few seasons (and, especially, in pre-season this summer) would indicate that we were unlikely to get the same performances out of him had he stayed put.
well, it's a bit different because he's 27/28 now, we're paying his entire wages and we basically did it to fund the Rojo move because I assume we couldn't sell him. That said, I would think it's definitely going to plan. We'll most likely get a very good fee for him now next summer if he keeps that level up. He's been excellent.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
well, it's a bit different because he's 27/28 now, we're paying his entire wages and we basically did it to fund the Rojo move because I assume we couldn't sell him. That said, I would think it's definitely going to plan. We'll most likely get a very good fee for him now next summer if he keeps that level up. He's been excellent.
Another reason it's a decent bit of business by us. Assuming Rojo turns out to be a good signing, anyway. Although he was obviously wanted by the manager, which is the main thing.

No idea how common or not it is for the loaning club to play the entire wages. Would have thought it's fairly standard though?

Jerch

I think both sides benefited from this deal. Sporting got one really good player and we will have confident Nani next season. Even if we will decided to sell him after this season we will get a lot more money for him as we would get if we would sell him this season.

People forgeting that if he would stay he would probably struggle to get games and get into this kind of form.

Cina

Another reason it's a decent bit of business by us. Assuming Rojo turns out to be a good signing, anyway. Although he was obviously wanted by the manager, which is the main thing.

No idea how common or not it is for the loaning club to play the entire wages. Would have thought it's fairly standard though?
Nah, not really. If you're sending out a youngster there's usually a percentage of the wages involved at least. Nani's is different because we're basically using his wages to help pay for the Rojo deal.

I don't know what the situation is with Cleverley though, I assume Villa are paying wages for him.

EDIT: And Hernandez.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Nah, not really. If you're sending out a youngster there's usually a percentage of the wages involved at least. Nani's is different because we're basically using his wages to help pay for the Rojo deal.
I've never seen that written down anywhere. What sort of % are you talking about here?

EDIT: How do you know we're paying a smaller % of the wages for Cleverley and Hernandez?

Cina

I've never seen that written down anywhere. What sort of % are you talking about here?
I assume that's up to the clubs involved?

I would've thought it was common business logic, surely. It's them we're helping out by giving them the player. I'd find it pretty bizarre otherwise, but maybe I'm completely off the ball. I assumed that because such a massive deal was made over us paying Nani's wages meant it's not an overly common thing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I assume that's up to the clubs involved?

I would've thought it was common business logic, surely. It's them we're helping out by giving them the player. I'd find it pretty bizarre otherwise, but maybe I'm completely off the ball. I assumed that because such a massive deal was made over us paying Nani's wages meant it's not an overly common thing.
I thought was just them getting giddy about a loan player doing well for them. I always assumed that loanees wages were covered by the club that loans them out. Could be wrong, though. I know feck all about exactly how these deals are structured. You never really hear about the details.

Cina

I thought was just them getting giddy about a loan player doing well for them. I always assumed that loanees wages were covered by the club that loans them out. Could be wrong, though. I know feck all about exactly how these deals are structured. You never really hear about the details.
Well you're right, I can't find bugger all on the net about how they're structured, all that comes up is articles about Utd fans outrage at paying Nani's wages, funnily enough.

I guess it would probably just depend on the circumstances of the loan though (at least for older players like Falcao, Nani, Hernandez), but I always thoughts the club a young player is loaned to pay a portion of the wages for the duration, maybe not.

Jerch

I wonder why noone ask LVG about Nani and his displays and if he have him in mind for next season in one of the press-conferences. Is it to hard for English journalist ask good question and not repeating same questions week after week (injuries, Rooney, how are players adapting to new system, when we will click).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Well you're right, I can't find bugger all on the net about how they're structured, all that comes up is articles about Utd fans outrage at paying Nani's wages, funnily enough.

I guess it would probably just depend on the circumstances of the loan though (at least for older players like Falcao, Nani, Hernandez), but I always thoughts the club a young player is loaned to pay a portion of the wages for the duration, maybe not.
Actually, Falcao's a good one to bring up. I assume we are paying his wages, so doesn't make sense that I would assume we should pay Nani's wages. So it's quite possible I'm talking balls here!

It's weird actually. With all the chatter about transfer fees, you very rarely hear any concrete info about how wages are structured in a loan deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.