Nani | Contract & Transfer talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Cracking goal, but for everyone one of those that go in, Nani blasts ten other tries over the bar and into the gods. That's always been an issue with him.
You could say that about nearly every flair player. Ronaldo's free-kicks come to mind...

Anyway, Nani is a risk taker, and I'm okay with that, need him back here.

steffyr2

Nani's problem is that of consistency but at his best very few in the world can do what he can. I know I keep harping on his game against Bayern at OT a few years ago but in all my years I have seen very few performances in a Utd jersey equal to his that day.
Yes, because Nani scores world-class goals only semi-regularly, and we don't want that. We want the team we have now -- consistently pedestrian all of them.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Get him back to OT. We look ridiculously predictable at the moment apart from when Di Maria has the ball. Play him and Di Maria at the same time, full stop.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The big concern about Nani is his mental toughness. Unfortunately, no amount of brilliant goals or performances back in his comfort zone in Portugal will ease those concerns.

Does look like a bad decision to let him go though. His best ever form came after a low ebb when he looked to be on his way out. It's not impossible he could have done the same again. Plus, at the very least, he's be a great option off the bench. He's come out and said he went against the clubs wishes but perhaps more could have been done to keep him. Feck knows. That goal is just another kick to the nuts in this godawful season.

izec

I dont see Nani back as brillaint as he could be for us. He just isnt van Gaals type of player in that sense that he couldnt play the way he wants him to play, more thinking less instinct. In that sense a bit like Rafael.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The big concern about Nani is his mental toughness. Unfortunately, no amount of brilliant goals or performances back in his comfort zone in Portugal will ease those concerns.

Does look like a bad decision to let him go though. His best ever form came after a low ebb when he looked to be on his way out. It's not impossible he could have done the same again. Plus, at the very least, he's be a great option off the bench. He's come out and said he went against the clubs wishes but perhaps more could have been done to keep him. Feck knows. That goal is just another kick to the nuts in this godawful season.
Not just the goal mate. He has been consistent and productive in 80% of the season (20% wasn't as good because he got injured and had less impressive performances after that). I think him and Di Maria could be an interesting duo for your wing options. They would be very hard to close down when on good form. Might be painful to watch when both are having their usual decision making problems. But like you said (fortunately for us) he was the one who wanted to leave.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Oh yeah, decent shout. As good as it got for Tony.

He got a much better goal in a Carling Cup game. Can't remember who it was against? Feck it, might not even have been the Carling Cup. Was a screamer off the underside of the crossbar from a fair distance out. Can anyone remember it?

Anyhoo. He's never been capable of scoring goals as spectacular as Nani. Not many players are. Obviously, that's not the key issue here though.

Cina

Meh, he was always going to be great in Portugal though. He's comfortably the best and most talented player in the league. I'm not sure there's any point in looking back and thinking we should've kept him this season. Given how badly LvG has managed our attackers so far this year I really can't imagine things would have gone any better for him than in recent years, especially when he issuch a mentally fragile player who needs to feel like the manager has confidence in him.

Right decision to let him go, now it's all about whether to bring him back or cash in.

Blue always red

Can you imagine Valencia doing that? :lol:
I actually remember him scoring a screamer from outside the box in a reserve game a few years back. Always wondered why he doesn't try and smash one from far, and then I remember his crosses don't beat the first man :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's a point actually, has Valencia ever scored a stunning goal? You'd expect a flying winger to have at least one.
1 in the carling cup years back against aldershot and 1 against blackburn.

JmRssll555

He got a much better goal in a Carling Cup game. Can't remember who it was against? Feck it, might not even have been the Carling Cup. Was a screamer off the underside of the crossbar from a fair distance out. Can anyone remember it?

Anyhoo. He's never been capable of scoring goals as spectacular as Nani. Not many players are. Obviously, that's not the key issue here though.
This a horrible video, but it shows the goal I think you're referring to.

CapeTownRed

Nani's problem is that of consistency but at his best very few in the world can do what he can. I know I keep harping on his game against Bayern at OT a few years ago but in all my years I have seen very few performances in a Utd jersey equal to his that day.
I'm not sure I understand your response. My point is Di Maria's just as inconsistent as Nani ever was, and Nani was putting up the numbers for fun when given a run. So basically, yes, I'd have Nani in my team every day of the week. I'd take his combination of quality and frustration over the garbage we're watching at the moment any day...

SteveW

Score a beauty for Wigan against City a few years back

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Amen. At least Nani can never be accused of hiding under a rock. When shit gets tough, he wants the ball, for better or worse...
That's one of things i´ve always liked about Nani. I remember when he was 19 and taking responsability in Sporting's Champions League games when other seasoned players went into hiding mode.

roykeane19

Away to Blackburn(?) in 2012 was a scorcher.
Haha yh but Im sure that was meant to be a cross, and that was his only goal myself I can remember of my head of his

You can see though hes built like a tank, and he must have some powerful shots, if only he would shoot at goal more, he never even tries to score

CapeTownRed

Haha yh but Im sure that was meant to be a cross, and that was his only goal myself I can remember of my head of his

You can see though hes built like a tank, and he must have some powerful shots, if only he would shoot at goal more, he never even tries to score
Put a set of shins in the bottom corner and he'd hit double digits easily...

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Funnily enough, that is the game that I always remember when thinking of Nani's time at OT. He was bloody excellent. That was him at his absolute peak, one of the very best in the world at the time. I remember thinking that I wouldn't have had Robben, Di Maria or anyone over Nani at that particular period. Seems ridiculous now, but he was sublime back then, and on that night in particular.

Not sure if performances in Portugal can be said to represent an up turn in form, but from what I've seen of him lately, he has been better than any of our wingers. I'd take him back in a second, even just for the sake of competition. I mean, who do we actually have who can play on the wing? Valencia is shit these days, but versatile and hard-working, thus his omnipresence in the squad. Di Maria, in theory, is one of the very best in the world, but hasn't shown that kind of form since September. Januzaj, and people will disagree with me on this one, isn't a winger. He hasn't got the pace for it. I've said all along that he's an attacking midfielder, but if he ends his career as a winger then I'll never watch football again as it would mean that I know even less than I thought.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Even if we don't keep him we will probably sell him for about 5 million pounds or something like that and buy some more overrated players for ridiculous money.

quiet_united

Vietnamese Red
Imagine if he's actually not an United player, how much are we going to pay this summer to get him.

Womp

idiot
:lol:

As Nani a goal as you'll ever see, has a knack for popping up with his fair share of worldies

RikRuud

He
I dont see Nani back as brillaint as he could be for us. He just isnt van Gaals type of player in that sense that he couldnt play the way he wants him to play, more thinking less instinct. In that sense a bit like Rafael.
He absolutely tore Van Gaals Bayern to shreds so he's seen first hand what he is capable of.

Phil

Great goal, but you dont get that kind of space in the prem. Look at how that midfielder just slows down and lets him have a shot! Ridiculous. Still, haven't seen Januzaj do anything like that this season so who knows, maybe he'll be back after all.
I kinda disagree. Look at the goal we conceded on Saturday..

Edit. Bugger, Pogue got in first with this comment, the feck.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Makes me delighted but also very sad to see him score these type of goals, he should be doing them for us!. The type of magic we need to win those gritty away's to Swansea and the like :rolleyes:

binary bot
He's exactly the player we're missing, so frustrating that he's on loan.

Made me smile that did. You watch us try to attack at the moment. It's slow, predictable and we struggle to even test the keeper at times. Then Nani goes and does that. Too much instinct and bravery has been taken out of our game. We're playing regimented stuff with players determined not to take enough risks. Who knows whether we will take him back, but surely he can't do worse than what we've seen this season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nani and Depay for next year will do us good, especially since we will only have to buy one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.