Nature is wild

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Newly Hatched Golden Plovers Are So Well-Disguised, It’s Nearly Impossible to Distinguish Them From Moss

Golden plover chicks hatch with a camouflage that perfectly blends in with their mossy nesting sites.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Today I learned that we could have dunked the Glazers into water and be rid of them.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Amazon jungle: Man survived 31 days by eating worms

A Bolivian man has described how he managed to survive for 31 days in the Amazon jungle after he got lost.
Jhonattan Acosta, 30, got separated from his four friends while out hunting in northern Bolivia.
He says he drank rainwater collected in his shoes and ate worms and other insects while hiding from jaguars and peccaries, a type of pig-like mammal.

Incredible.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah those are amazing. The bait fish grouping together to increase their odds of survival. Sharks, dolphins and other predators picking them off and sometimes even a whale showing up to finish the show.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Five planets to line up in night sky

Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Uranus, Mars, and the Moon will align in an arc across the evening sky on Monday, with some visible to the naked eye.

This is often called "a planetary parade" and will be visible after sunset in the west.

A good view of the horizon and clear skies will offer the best chance of spotting the alignment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65056407

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Five planets to line up in night sky

Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Uranus, Mars, and the Moon will align in an arc across the evening sky on Monday, with some visible to the naked eye.

This is often called "a planetary parade" and will be visible after sunset in the west.

A good view of the horizon and clear skies will offer the best chance of spotting the alignment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65056407
Perfect conditions for opening up a portal to another dimension of the cosmic horror variety if you ask me.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nature Briefing said:
Stressed plants ‘cry’ in ultrasound

Thirsty or stressed plants produce ultrasonic clicks that, when processed to make them audible to humans, sound like popping popcorn. Tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum) and tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) plants that needed water, or that had recently had their stems cut, produced up to roughly 35 clicks per hour. Well-hydrated and uncut plants made only about one sound per hour. The noises possibly come from air bubbles forming or breaking in the plants’ xylem, the tubes that transport water and nutrients from the roots to the stems and leaves. The sounds could be used to monitor plants in farming and horticulture.
Lay article: Stressed plants ‘cry’ — and some animals can probably hear them (nature.com)
Scientific article: Sounds emitted by plants under stress are airborne and informative - ScienceDirect

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

sepulturite

I was just reading that a tornado in Illinois caused the roof to collapse at a Morbid Angel gig, one dead so far and several injured. One of several tornados in different parts apparently.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Absolutely not…

We underrate how capable and competent our ancestors were. If it wasn't slavery, we'd probably have flying cars, sustainable clean affordable energy and all sorts now.

After the pyramids, does anyone know what the first tallest man made structure was? (I’ll reply with the answer tomorrow).