Nba 2010-2011

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
My friends are emailing me of a rumor about a potential club moving to Vegas by 2012. Rumors are Detroit, Memphis, LA Clippers and Sacramento. The Clippers would make most sense to me but I hear grumblings about the Kings arena situation and the Maloofs interests in Vegas.

Alex

A team in Vegas would be sick, it would be another premier location to go on the West Coast, I reckon they would be a powerhouse within a few years of moving there

soulblight3r

Heat starting to put together a good roster. Almost all of them taking on less money to make it work.

Wade
Miller
Lebron
Bosh
Ilgauskus
Haslem

That's a great core to be working with.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
My friends are emailing me of a rumor about a potential club moving to Vegas by 2012. Rumors are Detroit, Memphis, LA Clippers and Sacramento. The Clippers would make most sense to me but I hear grumblings about the Kings arena situation and the Maloofs interests in Vegas.
The Kings thing has been rumored for years, but the arena situation is starting to look good for the first time since those rumors started.

MrMarcello

Warriors sold for record sum of 450m and not to the highest bidder. The highest bidder is like the 6th richest man in the world but they chose to sell to a small group, one of which has a vested interest in the Celtics and must sell his share now.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Jordan and Barkley comment on James' decision:

Jordan wouldn't have called Magic, Bird

Michael Jordan led the Chicago Bulls to six titles. And while he had Scottie Pippen, there is little question the Bulls were Jordan's team.

So what does Jordan, one of the best-ever in the NBA, think of LeBron James joining with All-Stars Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to form a super team in Miami?

"There's no way, with hindsight, I would've ever called up Larry, called up Magic and said, 'Hey, look, let's get together and play on one team,' " Jordan said after playing in a celebrity golf tournament in Nevada. "But that's ... things are different. I can't say that's a bad thing. It's an opportunity these kids have today. In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys."

James, who played his first seven seasons with his home state Cleveland Cavaliers, was part of one of the most celebrated free agent classes in history this summer. He met with the Cavs, Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, New York Knicks and New Jersey Nets.

James let the world know he was taking his talents to South Beach in an hour-long TV special on July 8.

TNT analyst Charles Barkley said James' decision may change his legacy.

"He'll never be Jordan," Barkley told 790 the Ticket in Miami earlier in the week. "This clearly takes him out of the conversation. He can win as much as he wants to.

"There would have been something honorable about staying in Cleveland and trying to win it as 'The Man' ... LeBron, if he would've in Cleveland, and if he could've got a championship there, it would have been over the top for his legacy, just one in Cleveland. No matter how many he wins in Miami, it clearly is Dwyane Wade's team."
Michael Jordan on LeBron James' decision: I wouldn't have called Bird, Magic - ESPN

Agree with what Barkley's saying, it's Wade's team and everybody recognises that.

jatin

there's too much blood in my alcohol system!!
Lakers Sign Barnes and Ratliff

LAKERS SIGN MATT BARNES
July 22, 2010

EL SEGUNDO - The Los Angeles Lakers have signed free agent forward Matt Barnes, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. Per team policy terms of the contract were not released.

Barnes, a seven-year NBA veteran, appeared in 81 games (58 starts) last season with Orlando, averaging 8.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 1.7 assists in 25.9 minutes while posting five double-doubles and leading the Magic in scoring six times, in rebounds on four occasions and in assists twice.

Originally selected by the Memphis Grizzlies in the second round (46th overall pick) of the 2002 NBA Draft, Barnes has averaged 7.3 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.7 assists in 444 career games (162 starts).

A 6’7” forward, Barnes played four seasons collegiately at UCLA where he became the 43rd player in school history to reach 1,000 career points and helped the Bruins reach the NCAA Sweet 16 in each of his last three seasons.
LAKERS SIGN THEO RATLIFF
July 22, 2010

EL SEGUNDO - The Los Angeles Lakers have signed free agent center Theo Ratliff, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. Per team policy terms of the contract were not released.

“I’ve had a long and very rewarding career, and joining a storied and legendary franchise such as the Lakers adds an even more special element,” Ratliff said. “I look forward to playing for Coach Jackson and with great players such as Kobe, Derek, Pau, Lamar, Ron Artest, Andrew Bynum and all my other new teammates, and hopefully to helping the Lakers win a third straight championship.”

Ratliff, a 15-year NBA veteran, appeared in 49 games (29 starts) last season with the San Antonio Spurs and Charlotte Bobcats, averaging 3.6 points, 3.2 rebounds and 1.24 blocks in 16.4 minutes. Acquired from the Spurs on February 18, Ratliff started 26-of-28 games with Charlotte, averaging 5.1 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.54 blocks while finishing the season ranked 12th league-wide in blocks per 48 minutes (3.63).

“Theo has long been considered to be one of the best defensive big men in the league,” said Kupchak. “He is a consummate professional and a welcome addition to our team. Together with Bynum, Gasol, Odom and Artest, he gives us a formidable and deep front line.”

Originally selected by the Detroit Pistons in the first round of the 1995 NBA Draft (18th overall), Ratliff has twice been named to the NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1999 and 2004), has led the league in blocked shots three times (2000-01, 2002-03 and 2003-04) and is one of seven players in NBA history to capture the blocked shots title three or more times. Voted the starting center in the 2001 NBA All-Star Game, Ratliff ranks 18th in NBA history in career blocked shots (1,963) and owns career averages of 7.3 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2.45 blocks and 25.5 minutes in 800 games.
adding some experience and backup, still think they need to get someone to replace Bynum/Odom, they are very inconsistent

Zen

Lakers should just offer a ton of stuff for Chris Paul just to piss off Knicks fans who seem like they've got it in the bag even more. Odom, Blake, Vujacic, 2 draft picks or something.

If he goes to Knicks, I don't how they'll figure out a way to get Carmelo though, they'll have next to nothing to trade for a sign & trade, and would have to magically ditch about 8 players to get the cap room for him, leaving them with less than what even Miami had to fill out the rest of the roster since Amara took a monster hit on their cap.

In reality, Orlando it is. Paul+Howard, good mix. Maybe it won't all be so simple for Miami, this season is shaping up if Paul does move.

jatin

Lakers should just offer a ton of stuff for Chris Paul just to piss off Knicks fans who seem like they've got it in the bag even more. Odom, Blake, Vujacic, 2 draft picks or something.

If he goes to Knicks, I don't how they'll figure out a way to get Carmelo though, they'll have next to nothing to trade for a sign & trade, and would have to magically ditch about 8 players to get the cap room for him, leaving them with less than what even Miami had to fill out the rest of the roster since Amara took a monster hit on their cap.

In reality, Orlando it is. Paul+Howard, good mix. Maybe it won't all be so simple for Miami, this season is shaping up if Paul does move.
It would be freakin great if they can get Paul, which they should since Fisher is getting on a bit now

ha_rooney

Would love to see Paul at the Lakers, but I doubt they'd get rid of Odom as Bynum's so unreliable with injuries, so Odom can just step in for him when needed.

According to ESPN, the Lakers are unlikely to re-sign Brown, which is a shame. Really liked him and he offered energy off the bench, more than Walton or Vujacic.

jatin

Would love to see Paul at the Lakers, but I doubt they'd get rid of Odom as Bynum's so unreliable with injuries, so Odom can just step in for him when needed.

According to ESPN, the Lakers are unlikely to re-sign Brown, which is a shame. Really liked him and he offered energy off the bench, more than Walton or Vujacic.
Even DJ Mbenga can step in for Bynum when needed, doesn't mean he is the right person to do so

Odom is horribly inconsistent and not physical enough for his size, he can't even play consistently in his favored position how can he replace Bynum

ha_rooney

Even DJ Mbenga can step in for Bynum when needed, doesn't mean he is the right person to do so

Odom is horribly inconsistent and not physical enough for his size, he can't even play consistently in his favored position how can he replace Bynum
Odom doesn't need to replace Bynum directly, when Bynum's out (which is now becoming a regular occurance) Gasol is often the one who plays C, with Odom playing as the PF. He might be wildly inconsistent, but he offers something to the Laker team, and he's usually the only one who can be relied to get points off the bench.

Plus, I doubt a trade to LA would happen as the Laker offense doesn't need an all-star PG, just someone who can do the job. Lakers offense/defense is now about size and power, something I doubt they'd trade to get a PG, albeit a quality PG.

Alex

DJ Kongo Kash is fecking awful

MrMarcello

Whomever acquires Paul will also be asked/forced to take on Okafur's contract. That could end up the Mavericks as Cuban has never been scared of taking on shit contracts to get a player he wants. Thing is, is Kidd willing to accept a move to NO? He'd surely have to move on if Paul came to town. No way Kidd would take a back seat.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The Magic should do their best to get rid of Vince Carter. He's completely worthless. It would be fantastic if the Heat weren't even the best team in Florida next year.

jatin

Odom doesn't need to replace Bynum directly, when Bynum's out (which is now becoming a regular occurance) Gasol is often the one who plays C, with Odom playing as the PF. He might be wildly inconsistent, but he offers something to the Laker team, and he's usually the only one who can be relied to get points off the bench.

Plus, I doubt a trade to LA would happen as the Laker offense doesn't need an all-star PG, just someone who can do the job. Lakers offense/defense is now about size and power, something I doubt they'd trade to get a PG, albeit a quality PG.
Ofcourse Odom offers something off the bench, however he can't be relied upon when the going gets tough against teams like Boston and now Miami

They need to get a solid Big Man (and I don't mean John Terry) in their
DJ Kongo Kash is fecking awful
thats exactly was I was trying to point out, just stepping in for Bynum is not enough, you should be bloody good in that position

MrMarcello

Ofcourse Odom offers something off the bench, however he can't be relied upon when the going gets tough against teams like Boston and now Miami

They need to get a solid Big Man (and I don't mean John Terry) in their

thats exactly was I was trying to point out, just stepping in for Bynum is not enough, you should be bloody good in that position
Like Game 6?

10 rebounds (9 defensive) and 2 blocks.

I do think he tends to not step up. The talent and size he possesses he should have been a perennial all-star.

Neutral

BTV
it's just his mental make up, he is an easy going guy. He lacks the hunger/will, because if he had either of those two attributes, we would be speaking of Lamar Odom is much more glowing terms.

He should have been this generations Pippen...look at their games, very similar skill sets, one big difference, HUNGER.

Still not done too badly for himself, and is a team player.

Alex

Pippen is much better at playing the point, defending, shooting, so it's no surprise that he is better than Odom, who is better at height and rebounding hehe, he does lack desire to be the best that is certainly true though

MrMarcello

And what happened in the other Games? You do realize it is a best of 7 series, and not just a "Game 6" series
He had a decent series, about what is expected of him. Game 6 was the most important game of the series for both sides as it was either a championship for Boston or a game 7. The Lakers dominated and setup the climax finale. Odom was a huge contributor in that game 6.

And you obviously missed my final point. :rolleyes:

Alex

This upcoming season is going to be fecking awesome

jatin

He had a decent series, about what is expected of him. Game 6 was the most important game of the series for both sides as it was either a championship for Boston or a game 7. The Lakers dominated and setup the climax finale. Odom was a huge contributor in that game 6.

And you obviously missed my final point. :rolleyes:
No I didn't, because your final point was my original point (it seems you missed that)

ha_rooney

Heat start the season at Boston (Big 3 vs Big 3) and will play the Lakers on christmas day. Lakers start against the Rockets.

Full schedule out next week.

ha_rooney

I hope Shaq squashes LeBron when they start the season.

Eddie House going to the Heat further bolsters their bench.

ha_rooney

The NBA is coming to the UK with regular season games being played in Europe for the first time. The Raptors and NJ Nets will play 2 regular season games at the 02 Arena in London.

Hopefully they bring the Lakers to England the season after...

ha_rooney

Carmelo Anthony appears to be close to leaving the Nuggets, I reckon he'll end up at the Nets or the Knicks.

ha_rooney

Rumour has it that there is a 4-way deal in place that will send Anthony to the Nets, and according to a source it just requires the Nuggets to approve the move.

On a separate note, Andrew Bynum is a right tit for postponing his knee surgery to go watch the WC in South Africa. According to Phil, he might miss the start of the season. I bet Kobe will have a few words to say about his decision to fly to SA instead of sorting his knee problems out.

Neutral

BTV
Bynum will never stay fit for an entire season...so maybe this is a good thing...hehe.

Miss his quota of games early on, slowly build, peak for the playoffs.

ha_rooney

This is Bynum's last chance to shine imo. If he doesn't perform consistently and stay fit for most of the regular season and all the playoffs, I can see the Lakers shipping him off. This isn't the best way to start the season, he should get his priorities sorted out, I wonder how big a 'soccer' fan he is and just what he achieved by delaying surgery?

I also reckon it's a big year for Odom. Always had the potential, but he's not the most consistent or the most focused/mentally tough player. From what I read, he did well for America in the FIBA championships, so I'm hoping he brings his form (if he played well) into the new season.

Alex

Yeah I reckon teh Bulls will pony up now and offer the Nuggs Noah in addition to the other thigns they want