Nba 2010-2011

Neutral

BTV
I still reckon Melo will head out to New Jersey. Sure next season will be a wash out there...but the season after the move to Brooklyn, plus the new owner with the cash...

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
So go from one side not able to win a championship to another side not able to win a championship. Makes sense to me. NJ is no better than Denver. He's better off forcing a move to Chicago or just play this season and sign with his preferred destination, NY.

Alex

I think he has no reason to move this year, although after the Nuggets watched "The Decision" by "The Big Black Pussy" they think that they should get something for him than letting him leave. NJ is shit, but Melo has always been an East Coast guy. There have been some rumor about in LA that they will go after him to match the Heat, apparently Bynum and Artest and a 1st round pick for Carmelo, I think that would be awesome to watch the Lakers and Heat go at it then. That said Chicago needs to pony up they have been crying out for a player of his quality since MJ left, and they arent going to do the deal because they want to hold on to Noah????? fecking Joachim Noah, give me a fecking break some of the executives in sports are just fecking idiots....

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Bynum and Artest? I can't see the Lakers letting go of Artest one season into his contract, plus Artest was signed for his defense, something Carmelo is not recognised for.

Do Miami even have the salary space to go after him??

Alex

Melo said he is going to stay for the season, and look at his options at that point, probably go to the Knicks they just dont have enough trade bait to get him right now.

ha_rooney

I thought that NBA's rules regarding a salary cap meant teams could not go over the cap amount. Having read the comments of the Wizards owner, it turns out teams can exceed the salary cap, if they're willing to pay a luxury tax penalty. I think the Lakers currently pay the most on this type of 'tax'.

Alex

The tax is dollar for dollar, the NBA has a soft cap, where as the NFL had a hard cap and now has no cap.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I thought that NBA's rules regarding a salary cap meant teams could not go over the cap amount. Having read the comments of the Wizards owner, it turns out teams can exceed the salary cap, if they're willing to pay a luxury tax penalty. I think the Lakers currently pay the most on this type of 'tax'.
You're allowed to go over the cap to resign your own players. Players you have "bird rights" for. You cannot go over the cap to sign free agents released by other teams. That's what makes it a soft cap with a luxury tax as opposed to just a luxury tax alone.

The tax level is also a bit higher than the cap level, but once you go over, it's dollar for dollar like Alex said.

Edit: Also when you're over the cap, trades must be within 25% of equal salary value. That's why you see all these complicated multi-team deals where some teams seem to just pick up players without giving up any.

Or also why the shit player with an extremely large expiring contract is actually a valuable trade commodity. One team acquires a good player, another team essentially dumps salary when that contract expires at the end of the year.

ha_rooney

You're allowed to go over the cap to resign your own players. Players you have "bird rights" for. You cannot go over the cap to sign free agents released by other teams. That's what makes it a soft cap with a luxury tax as opposed to just a luxury tax alone.

The tax level is also a bit higher than the cap level, but once you go over, it's dollar for dollar like Alex said.

Edit: Also when you're over the cap, trades must be within 25% of equal salary value. That's why you see all these complicated multi-team deals where some teams seem to just pick up players without giving up any.

Or also why the shit player with an extremely large expiring contract is actually a valuable trade commodity. One team acquires a good player, another team essentially dumps salary when that contract expires at the end of the year.
Great explanation, thanks!

Zen

Yeah I was lolwut'ing at the fact that Miami getting him is legit impossible. Why would he take less than Bosh, maybe the other two, but it'd have to be a monstrous gap, and so dodgy that the NBA simply wouldn't even allow. Odds are Paul and Anthony will end up on the same team.....being the Knicks, or Anthony will/should go to the Bulls because a player like him would love a great PG.

I'm still expecting Nash to finish his career in Miami, just out of randomness I thought I'd bring that up -_-

ha_rooney

Kobe saying he would be LeBron in a 1-on-1 match, saying he could win those in his sleep. As much as I love Kobe and respect him as an NBA great, I'd have to disagree with him. LeBron would win that matchup imo.

botond

lebron cant guard kobe , he would hit those jump shots all day

ha_rooney

One day left until the season begins. What are people's predictions?

I'm going for a Lakers-Magic matchup in the finals, although in all probability it will be Lakers-Heat. OKC Thunder are my dark-horses, they played very well against the Lakers last season and could cause an upset in the Western conference.

ha_rooney

James dropped 31 but the Heat lost against the Celtics in the opening game of the season. Wade & Bosh struggled shooting; it will be interesting if as the sseason goes on if Wade accepts James is the big dog in Wade's backyard? I still reckon at some point this season, or next season if they fail to win the championship, Wade and James' egos will clash.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:lol: The Celtics beat Dwayne Wade's Miami Heat because Dwayne Wade doesn't have a very strong supporting cast. I'm not sure how all three of them are going to play together on Dwayne Wade's Miami Heat--hopefully, there will be a massive bitchfight about it being Dwayne Wade's Miami Heat rather than Lebronze Miami Heat.

Neutral

BTV
Great game between the Rockets and the Lakers...Pau got them across the line. Rockets will be disappointed, they were up by 11 with a couple of minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Pscholes18

Kobe saying he would be LeBron in a 1-on-1 match, saying he could win those in his sleep. As much as I love Kobe and respect him as an NBA great, I'd have to disagree with him. LeBron would win that matchup imo.

Don't believe the hype. Kobe would beat Lebron one on one. Everything he says in the video is true. Lebron needs a team around him to be more effective...Kobe doesn't.

Pscholes18

:lol: The Celtics beat Dwayne Wade's Miami Heat because Dwayne Wade doesn't have a very strong supporting cast. I'm not sure how all three of them are going to play together on Dwayne Wade's Miami Heat--hopefully, there will be a massive bitchfight about it being Dwayne Wade's Miami Heat rather than Lebronze Miami Heat.
Only game one, but still I was laughing my ass off. Hope this team fails miserably.

Neutral

BTV
He's massively overrated. But with James and Wade he will get his points and rebounds over the course of the season.
Yeah he will, the other two being both driving/slashing type of players, means loads of double teams, Bosh should get a lot of easy looks, and plenty of scraps to feed off at the glass.

I just can't a player who thinks he's better than he is. Chris Bosh is not elite, I don't care if he does make the All-Star team.

ha_rooney

Lakers off to a good start to the season, as are Miami who blew away the Magic and the Nets.

Meanwhile, Shaq has gone a bit :wenger:

gbgary

long season ahead. although my Mavs are still a dirk-dependant team they are much different from last year. quicker, taller, more athletic. looking forward to the long journey to the playoffs.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Kings 3-1. Should be 4-0 though against the opponents they've played. Dalembert's been out but Demarcus Cousins has filled in quite nicely. Carl Landry has been extremely efficient as well as Beno Udrih and pretty much everyone off the bench.

Most importantly Evans has done a better job of creating for teammates. He's been able to get to the basket at will like before but now he has his head up and seems to have his sights on possible outlets before he starts his drives so that when three or four guys start swarming on him late in games he knows exactly where to pass. If he can recover his lost jumpshot, he's going to be a frighteningly good player.

We'll see how good this team really is when the Lakers come to town on Wednesday.

ha_rooney

Another triple-double for Kobe, Lakers move to 5-0. Another solid night for Pau and the bench has better depth this season than last. Quick fact, the Lakers have scored at least 107 points every game this season!

sidsutton

yeah I saw that today. Awesome.

My Rockets are very disappointing so far. :(

ha_rooney

Lakers lost for the first time this season, blowing a big lead against the Nuggets. We did that a lot last year, especially in the playoffs against the Suns and I hope we don't do it often this season. Kobe became the youngest player in NBA history to reach 26,000 points.

Meanwhile, the 'big 3' in Miami lost to the other big 3 in Boston. Heat's record now stands at 5-4, but Wade has said ""We're the best 5-4 team in the league,". Similarly, the Clippers are the best 1-8 team in the league :cool:

Alex

The Heat will be dangerous by the end I imagine regardless of what their regular season record is even when the playoffs rule around.

What I dont get is players like LeBron and Bosh saying stuff like, "I dont care about giving up points or rebounds because I get to play with other stars." What the feck are these two cent mothafeckas thinking. So they honestly think that they can all go to Miami and not have to work as hard and when the title. If I were them and I went to Miami I would say something like I am going to lead the league in scoring because it is basically just the big 3 in Miami. Their lacsidasical attitude has been there from before the decision. LeBron egomaniac that he is decides to tkae his talents to South Beach? South Beach? The Heat dont play in South Beach. You know what talents are useful in South Beach Lebron. Being able to drink a lot, having good game for the ladies, and having fun in general are talents needed for South Beach, unfourtanently slightly more is needed to be an NBA superstar.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
"It's been a pleasure to bring my talents to south beach now on to Memphis,"
-Paul Pierce on Twitter

Lebron went for a big 3 last night in the last minute and hit the side of the backboard. That made me happy.

ha_rooney

The Heat will be dangerous by the end I imagine regardless of what their regular season record is even when the playoffs rule around.

What I dont get is players like LeBron and Bosh saying stuff like, "I dont care about giving up points or rebounds because I get to play with other stars." What the feck are these two cent mothafeckas thinking. So they honestly think that they can all go to Miami and not have to work as hard and when the title. If I were them and I went to Miami I would say something like I am going to lead the league in scoring because it is basically just the big 3 in Miami. Their lacsidasical attitude has been there from before the decision. LeBron egomaniac that he is decides to tkae his talents to South Beach? South Beach? The Heat dont play in South Beach. You know what talents are useful in South Beach Lebron. Being able to drink a lot, having good game for the ladies, and having fun in general are talents needed for South Beach, unfourtanently slightly more is needed to be an NBA superstar.
I agree that come the playoffs the Heat will be one of the contenders for the Championship, and on paper they probably will be the favorites from the Eastern Conference.

However, I find it funny that they're 5-4 and LeBron's already questioning the coach's tactics. For a team that many predicted would destroy everyone else in the league and comfortably win 70 games this season, they haven't started very well. The cracks are starting to appear and the coach is already under tremendous pressure. Lose a few more of their next games, and it will be interesting to see what the Heat management do.

Neutral

BTV
I think everyone knew they had no chance to Beat THAT Bulls team...maybe next season, but no way this season. Way too much growing pain...

It was disrespectful for people to simply think because they got these 3, that they would just rock up every night and win by default. They will be very strong contenders by the end of the regular season, and very well might win the championship this season, but 'greatest team 4 eva n eva' was a moniker given too soon to them.

Also anyone notice Kevin Love tonight

31 points 31 rebounds

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I think everyone knew they had no chance to Beat THAT Bulls team...maybe next season, but no way this season. Way too much growing pain...

It was disrespectful for people to simply think because they got these 3, that they would just rock up every night and win by default. They will be very strong contenders by the end of the regular season, and very well might win the championship this season, but 'greatest team 4 eva n eva' was a moniker given too soon to them.

Also anyone notice Kevin Love tonight

31 points 31 rebounds
He has 64 rebounds and 62 points in the past 3 games.