Nba 2012-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Fate of the Kings will be decided in the next hour or so. Let's hope they stay in Sacramento where they belong!

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Such a shame that Westbrook and Rose were out for the end of the season, The Bulls and Thunder are the only teams I had any hope of beating the Heat. The Spurs could do it, but it would take a miracle.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I bet OKC wished they could re-do the Harden trade. I think Grizzlies would push Miami all the way, especially if Wade isn't fully fit.

It's a shame the number of injuries that have occured. Of course they can happen at anytime, but I really think the league should look at reducing the number of games to 66 whilst keeping the length of the season the same so as to allow more time for players to recover between games.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
Such a shame that Westbrook and Rose were out for the end of the season, The Bulls and Thunder are the only teams I had any hope of beating the Heat. The Spurs could do it, but it would take a miracle.

Memphis are, and always have been, best set up to trouble the Heat (after maybe the Thunder, who relied more on talent than match-ups). Allen to defend Wade, Prince to defend LeBron, and Randolph and Gasol to exploit Heat's lack of big men. Having good big men is the way to beat the Heat. I'm not saying they'll do it, but if they meet, I think they'll make it very difficult.

I don't think the Heat will have much trouble with the Spurs. Maybe it goes to 6, but I'd guess 5.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
They're staying in Sacramento.
A glorious day here in Sacramento!!!

(I didn't know this thread exited until just now.)

KJ has done an incredible job bringing together the investors, rallying civic leaders and leading public opinion to keep the Kings here in Sacto. The new arena will be built about two blocks from my office in downtown Sacramento and 5-6 minutes from where I live. Lovin' it!

Putting my partisanship aside, the NBA owners made the right decision for all the right reasons. One of the strengths of the NBA is that small market teams really do have a shot at putting a successful product on the court, if they are properly run. I can't say I know the Maloofs but I've met them on several occasions and I can tell you with absolutely metaphysical certainty that they're morons.

Seattle deserves a franchise and they'll get one soon.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
A glorious day here in Sacramento!!!

(I didn't know this thread exited until just now.)

KJ has done an incredible job bringing together the investors, rallying civic leaders and leading public opinion to keep the Kings here in Sacto. The new arena will be built about two blocks from my office in downtown Sacramento and 5-6 minutes from where I live. Lovin' it!

Putting my partisanship aside, the NBA owners made the right decision for all the right reasons. One of the strengths of the NBA is that small market teams really do have a shot at putting a successful product on the court, if they are properly run. I can't say I know the Maloofs but I've met them on several occasions and I can tell you with absolutely metaphysical certainty that they're morons.

Seattle deserves a franchise and they'll get one soon.

Agreed on all counts. The Maloofs have prevented the Kings from even attempting to be competitive for too long now. I'm extremely excited about Vivek and his ownership and what the future will bring. We already have some young talent, just need to build on it in the right way and get a good coach for the first time since Adelman.

This turn of events has kept my goal of visiting Sacramento to see a game alive! Kind of a shame I won't get to see the old Arco thunder, but excited about a brand new arena. Just hoping the Maloofs do the right thing now and don't try to hang onto the team.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Agreed on all counts. The Maloofs have prevented the Kings from even attempting to be competitive for too long now. I'm extremely excited about Vivek and his ownership and what the future will bring. We already have some young talent, just need to build on it in the right way and get a good coach for the first time since Adelman.

This turn of events has kept my goal of visiting Sacramento to see a game alive! Kind of a shame I won't get to see the old Arco thunder, but excited about a brand new arena. Just hoping the Maloofs do the right thing now and don't try to hang onto the team.
You have a few years before we're done with Sleep Train Arena. I recommend going to see a game in the old barn. I went this past year for Here We Buy night (my first game ever) and for the season finale and it was a blast. That building rattling from all the noise is an experience that won't be replicated at Downtown Plaza no matter how loud the fans are.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
You have a few years before we're done with Sleep Train Arena. I recommend going to see a game in the old barn. I went this past year for Here We Buy night (my first game ever) and for the season finale and it was a blast. That building rattling from all the noise is an experience that won't be replicated at Downtown Plaza no matter how loud the fans are.
A caftard from Rancho Cordova??? Sweet! I'm an East Sac man now, though I lived in Rosemont during my high school years. I play at Metro City on Thursday nights (just got back from a wild one), but it's getting tougher and tougher for me to deal with dudes who could easily be my kids. My days are numbered.

The sadly named Sleep Train still has its moments and if we ever got on a 6-8 winning streak we'd blow the lid off the old barn. I actually believe we could build a great arena that has all of the charm of the old Arco but the modern amenities you'd expect of a new arena. But we'd have to make sure there's a Mikuni and a Zocalo concession in the building. Maybe a Rubicon too!

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
A caftard from Rancho Cordova??? Sweet! I'm an East Sac man now, though I lived in Rosemont during my high school years. I play at Metro City on Thursday nights (just got back from a wild one), but it's getting tougher and tougher for me to deal with dudes who could easily be my kids. My days are numbered.

The sadly named Sleep Train still has its moments and if we ever got on a 6-8 winning streak we'd blow the lid off the old barn. I actually believe we could build a great arena that has all of the charm of the old Arco but the modern amenities you'd expect of a new arena. But we'd have to make sure there's a Mikuni and a Zocalo concession in the building. Maybe a Rubicon too!
I'm right on the Rancho/Sac border (W La Loma boonies) so we're pretty close.

Sactown Royalty had a thread a while back collecting wishlist items for the new arena. I wouldn't be surprised if they do it again soon, so you might want to be on the lookout for it so you can make your suggestions. I'm okay with the Sleep Train name, because they're local guys who stepped up. Arco was only Arco for so long because it was something like a 20-25 year deal that they signed. I don't mind no longer being associated with an oil company.

To be honest, I might even be more excited to see what Burkle has planned for the area around the arena. I've only lived here a year (grew up in Modesto), and I've never actually been to Downtown Plaza, so I was surprised to learn how big the area was. I work near Folsom right next to a light rail station, so the thing I'm most excited about is to be able to hop on the light rail after work, go to a game, and take the light rail back. No more dealing with Highway 50 traffic.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I feel sorry for Sonics fans...and for the league, they had more requests for season tickets than seats in the proposed arena! That would have been one rocking atmosphere!

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I'm right on the Rancho/Sac border (W La Loma boonies) so we're pretty close.

Sactown Royalty had a thread a while back collecting wishlist items for the new arena. I wouldn't be surprised if they do it again soon, so you might want to be on the lookout for it so you can make your suggestions. I'm okay with the Sleep Train name, because they're local guys who stepped up. Arco was only Arco for so long because it was something like a 20-25 year deal that they signed. I don't mind no longer being associated with an oil company.

To be honest, I might even be more excited to see what Burkle has planned for the area around the arena. I've only lived here a year (grew up in Modesto), and I've never actually been to Downtown Plaza, so I was surprised to learn how big the area was. I work near Folsom right next to a light rail station, so the thing I'm most excited about is to be able to hop on the light rail after work, go to a game, and take the light rail back. No more dealing with Highway 50 traffic.
There's no reason you should have been to the Downtown Plaza already. When I say it's a pit, I mean there has literally been a pit in the ground right across from the Darth Vader building on K Street for about 20 years. Homeless shelters, and rat infestations everywhere just a few blocks from the state capitol. That's all going to be gone once the developers get through building the new area, which I'll post about in a few minutes.

I'm not sure I can handle the name Sleep Train Arena, but if they step up and buy the naming rights I suppose I can't complain too much.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Edit: News stories from Sacramento

Mayor announces rally, headlined by Cake, to celebrate sale of Kings to Sacramento investors

By Mary Lynne Vellinga and Tony Bizjak

Published: Friday, May. 17, 2013 - 10:39 am

Speaking at a triumphant press conference at City Hall Friday morning, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson said the community would hold a rally at Cesar Chavez park on Wednesday to celebrate the pending sale of the Sacramento Kings to a group of investors who will keep them here.

The band Cake will headline the event, which the mayor said would start sometime in the late afternoon.

Since word of the $347-million sale leaked out Thursday evening, "there's been a flood of calls to the Kings and the NBA asking about tickets," Johnson said. Season ticket sales will start at 9 a.m. Tuesday, he said.

"Sacramento will have no problem making the NBA look smart" for rejecting the Kings' proposed move to Seattle, Johnson predicted.

Read more: Mayor says Sacramento group's deal to buy Kings is 'signed' and money wired

A succession of people, including local politicians, a prospective owner and a super-fan, took turns addressing the cheering crowd.

Downtown developer Mark Friedman, who will have an ownership stake in the team and develop the arena for the investor group led by Vivek Ranadive, said it will be "the most sophisticated, digitally connected, arena in the world."

Friedman, who went with Johnson to the NBA Board of Governors meeting in Dallas this week, praised the fans and said their dedication helped sway the league owners to reject the move to Seattle.

"It was unbelievable to be in Dallas the other day and see Kings fans in the lobby chanting, 'Let's go Kings,'" Friedman said. "It made a difference. The owners could hear you."

Super-fan and media personality Dave Weiglein, who took an RV tour around the country to promote Sacramento's efforts to keep the Kings, proposed erecting a statue of Kevin Johnson outside the new arena.

The NBA's decision to reject the Maloofs' proposal to sell the team to a Seattle group, followed by the signing of the deal to sell to investors who will keep the team here, is about "more than just basketball," the mayor said.

"It's about jobs and it's about revitalizing downtown. It's about civic pride. It's about not letting somebody take something that isn't theirs."

Johnson also led the crowd in a round of applause for the Maloof family, whose recent efforts to move the team and backing out of arena deals here have stirred antipathy.

"Some of the best days of this storied franchise were when they were owners," he said.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/05/17/5428883/mayor-kings-deal-about-not-letting.html#storylink=cpy

Sacramento Kings bidder Ranadive plans 'global brand' for team

By Dale Kasler, Ryan Lillis and Tony Bizjak

Published: Tuesday, Apr. 16, 2013 - 12:00 am

Last Modified: Friday, May. 17, 2013 - 12:48 pm

The Sacramento Kings won't be a small-market team anymore if Vivek Ranadive has his way.

The Silicon Valley software tycoon, who is leading the investor group trying to keep the Kings in Sacramento, laid out an ambitious vision Monday for transforming the woebegone franchise into a "global brand" that would extend the NBA's reach into China and his native India.

Ranadive, 55, said two more investors have joined his effort to block the Kings from moving to Seattle: Naren Gupta, a venture capitalist with offices in India and Menlo Park; and Andy Miller, a tech entrepreneur in San Francisco. There are now seven investors in the group.

With just days remaining before the NBA could decide the team's fate, Ranadive and two other partners, fitness magnate Mark Mastrov and Facebook alumnus Chris Kelly, spoke enthusiastically in a phone interview with The Bee about creating a tech-savvy basketball organization capable of engaging fans the world over.

But they offered no details about their actual purchase offer for the team, or how they expect the next several days to play out in New York, where NBA owners will weigh the question of whether the Kings should stay or go.

Ranadive wouldn't say whether his group plans to match the increased offer submitted last Friday by Seattle investor Chris Hansen. Nor would he say if his group has yet filed a written purchase offer with the NBA.

A source connected to the Sacramento group said last week the Ranadive group would match Hansen's original $341 million bid for the 65 percent of the Kings controlled by the Maloofs. With his higher bid, Hansen is now offering to pay $357 million.

While the Sacramento investors wouldn't discuss their bid, Mastrov offered clues about the frantic pace of bringing the deal together.

"We've worked very hard in a short period of time," said Mastrov, founder of the 24 Hour Fitness chain. "We've been working around the clock; I don't think I slept much over the weekend."

Ranadive and other investors were coming to Sacramento on Monday for a dinner hosted by their Sacramento partner, developer Mark Friedman.

Ranadive, who would be managing partner of the team, doesn't plan to travel to New York for the NBA board of governors meeting.

The NBA's meeting kicks off Wednesday, a day ahead of schedule, with a special session of the committee vetting the Sacramento and Seattle proposals. Neither city has been invited to speak to the owners this week, but Ranadive said he would be ready to answer questions.

"I'll be available at the beck and call of the commissioner (David Stern) and the NBA," he said.

Ranadive's company, Tibco Software Inc. of Palo Alto, has revolutionized the use of data at such companies as eBay and Southwest Airlines. Since 2010, he has brought data-driven expertise to the NBA as vice chairman of the Golden State Warriors.

"I'm a big numbers guy," he said. "I look at the business side and the basketball side and ... I think there's a lot of answers in the data."

That means new ways of selling tickets and merchandise to fans on their smartphones, tailoring sales pitches to individual preferences.

"The Sacramento Kings should be the most innovative franchise in the NBA," said Kelly, a former Facebook senior executive.

The data focus would extend to what happens on the court as well. Ranadive wants the Kings to use a bit of "Moneyball" sensibility - finding talent by sifting through overlooked statistics. For instance, he'd like to increase pay for bench players - those who play 40 percent of the game but generally earn only one-fifth as much as the starters.

"This is a playbook that we have used before," he said, referring to the turnaround enjoyed by the Warriors since 2010. "It's not going to be overnight, it's going to take a couple of years. ... I feel very comfortable that we can make (the Kings) a winning franchise."

The newest investors, Gupta and Miller, join Ranadive; Kelly; Friedman; Mastrov; and the Jacobs family of San Diego, founders of wireless giant Qualcomm Inc.

Four of the investors weren't publicly revealed until the past week, and one of the original investors had to quit a week ago because of a conflict of interest: Beverly Hills financier Ron Burkle. He will remain involved in developing real estate surrounding the proposed $448 million Downtown Plaza arena.

Ranadive said he believes the group is now set, although additional investors "are calling me, even as we speak, wanting to be part of the deal."

While the past week has been outwardly frantic, Ranadive said he's been quietly and methodically building the group for weeks. Ranadive's participation wasn't made public until March 21, but other investors have said they've been speaking to Ranadive since January.

He said each member brings a different strength, whether it's real estate, social media or the ability to tap into vast Asian markets.

"My vision is that there are a number of forces shaping the 21st century and the group that I have brought together ... reflects my thinking in terms of what those forces are," Ranadive said.

The goal is to create something Ranadive has begun calling "NBA 3.0," which refers to making basketball as popular worldwide as soccer. Much of the focus would be on China, where the NBA is already quite popular, and India, where cricket is considerably more popular.

Basketball "is a sport that lends itself to that," Ranadive said of the globalization effort. "It can be played in cities, it can be played in villages. Rich countries, poor countries - you don't need a lot of space like you do with cricket or soccer."

While in New York on April 3, when he led a presentation to a group of NBA owners, Ranadive said his ownership of the Kings would help the NBA sell tickets to some of the 3 million India natives living in America. As a limited partner in the Warriors, Ranadive is the NBA's first Indian-born owner.

The two newest investors hail from diverse backgrounds, but both reside in the intersection of technology and business.

Gupta is co-founder of Nexus Venture Partners, which has an office in Menlo Park but calls itself India's leading venture capital firm. It has bankrolled firms on both sides of the Pacific Ocean.

Miller is president and chief operating officer of Leap Motion, a motion-control hardware and software company. He also is co-owner of the Modesto Nuts minor league baseball team.

Call The Bee's Dale Kasler, (916) 321-1066. Follow him on Twitter @dakasler.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/04/15/5344386/sacramento-kings-bidder-ranadive.html#storylink=cpy

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
There's no reason you should have been to the Downtown Plaza already. When I say it's a pit, I mean there has literally been a pit in the ground right across from the Darth Vader building on K Street for about 20 years. Homeless shelters, and rat infestations everywhere just a few blocks from the state capitol. That's all going to be gone once the developers get through building the new area, which I'll post about in a few minutes.

I'm not sure I can handle the name Sleep Train Arena, but if they step up and buy the naming rights I suppose I can't complain too much.
I shrunk your posts for size, but yeah, I'm definitely excited. I'm doing thesis work, so I probably shouldn't go to the rally next week.

By the way, if you know anyone who needs it, there's 40 new part time job openings with the team for people to handle the flood of season ticket purchases.

http://nbateamjobs.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/r.cfm?i=55377

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The Heat are unbeatable.
Not.

They look unbeatable, sometimes, but they still have those periods where they seem to freeze totally, and I'm not only talking about missing shots..

It happened to them in game 1 against the Bulls, and game 5. The Bulls could have easily beaten Miami twice on their home court, that's not an encouraging sign.

Besides, they will be rusty again for game 1, which makes it more likely that they could drop game 1, again.

They might be the favorites in the East, but with Wade struggling, it will be a very tough final. And I'm not even sure I can call them favorites against a team like Memphis.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I think Memphis has a better chance of beating Miami than San Antonio does. They can bully the Heat inside and they have the defenders to match up to Wade and James. Not that Allen and Prince will shut down those two but they have the best chance.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I think Memphis has a better chance of beating Miami than San Antonio does. They can bully the Heat inside and they have the defenders to match up to Wade and James. Not that Allen and Prince will shut down those two but they have the best chance.
Exactly. Miami seem to struggle against physical teams.

Even West and Hibbert can cause a lot of problems for Miami.

ha_rooney

Can't blame Melo for that loss. I don't like his constant isolation plays, but the supporting cast need to do more. Jason Kidd scored 0 points in the last 10 playoff games :lol:

I think Miami will win the east in 6.

I hope Memphis can beat the spurs. Although I expect Miami to win it all, I think Memphis be a tougher matchup than San Antonio.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Have some, you filthy knicks fans! I hope it stings, I hope it's like salt in your eyes!

This may come as a surprise, but there's something called 'defense', and it's actually considered part of the game of basketball.

I'll just let that sink in.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
What a game by the Spurs. Is Pop the best coach in the league ever? Miami better be careful, because it's not going to be easy from now on, no matter whom they're facing..

In other news,

FA Howard no lock for Lakers, to explore options; interest in Rockets

Whichever team he signs for this Summer, I hope it would be a 1-year contract, so we can enjoy this all over again next Summer..

gooDevil, congratulations for the Pacers win. Totally deserved, and honestly I would have preferred the Heat to go against the Knicks.. Will be a great final.

ha_rooney

Kobe is making an announcement in the next hour or so. It's meant to be a 'surprise'.

I hope he doesn't retire. I don't think I'll be able to handle anymore of my heroes retiring.

ha_rooney

According to twitter, sources say he is being amnestied.

I have no idea what this does for the Lakers' finances/luxury tax status and whether this means we may be able to sign a big free-agent or not this summer?

Anyway, I'm going to sleep so this announcement better be good news when I get up.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
What a game by the Spurs. Is Pop the best coach in the league ever? Miami better be careful, because it's not going to be easy from now on, no matter whom they're facing..

In other news,

FA Howard no lock for Lakers, to explore options; interest in Rockets

Whichever team he signs for this Summer, I hope it would be a 1-year contract, so we can enjoy this all over again next Summer..

gooDevil, congratulations for the Pacers win. Totally deserved, and honestly I would have preferred the Heat to go against the Knicks.. Will be a great final.
Hard to compare anyone with Phil Jackson and Red Auerbach, but what Pop has done is quite different to the careers of those two, and I think he should be given all the credit in the world. He may not have been able to do what Red and Phil did, but I'm not sure those two could have emulated Pop either.

Thanks for your considerations, I hope the Pacers manage to win 2 games against Miami and make it look interesting for a while!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Have some, you filthy knicks fans! I hope it stings, I hope it's like salt in your eyes!

This may come as a surprise, but there's something called 'defense', and it's actually considered part of the game of basketball.

I'll just let that sink in.
:lol:

Good series. Wasn't expecting us to get by the Pacers, but JR going cold all series didn't help matters at all. We have limited cap space, so it'll be interesting to see what adjustments Woody makes this offseason.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Clippers fire Del Negro, pretty surprising after their best season ever, and a playoff exit down to an injured Blake Griffin.

But then, they're the Clippers.

ha_rooney

Apparently CP3 wanted him out. Probably means Paul will definitely stay.

Amazing how the cuntface next door to the Clippers is still in a job.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Its great to hear the Hornets are going back to Charlotte, that team with Mourning and Larry Johnson was very entertaining to watch.

Mostly I'm glad that the Bobcats orange and blue is gone for good! Worst NBA franchise ever.

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
I feel sorry for Sonics fans...and for the league, they had more requests for season tickets than seats in the proposed arena! That would have been one rocking atmosphere!

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're being sarcastic... That was one of many ridiculous, farcical little stunts that Seattle pulled in response to Sac's show of support. They had no chance of following through on those numbers.

At the start of this I had so much sympathy for Sonics fans. However, seeing them so bitter and entitled during this debacle has shone new light on them. Couldn't really give a damn if they get a new team. I'm sure they will, but some of their fans really don't deserve one. Hypocrites.

On another note - draft lottery tonight! Cleveland or NO will get the first pick (yes, I'm basing that on nothing except gut feeling).

Status
Not open for further replies.