NBA 2017-2018

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
So how does this work then?
People all over Twitter wetting themselves over this Ball chap - why didn't the first team pick him then?

Oh wait, Lakers had 2nd pick overall - so they could get him it seems.
Yeah Lakers got Lonzo Ball, but LaVar is his father (and full of shit). I can't really comment since I don't watch any college basketball except for some highlight vids of the top prospects, but quite a few people reckon Ball is the most talented player in this Draft, I guess Fultz is more NBA ready at the moment amongst other factors.

Zen

feck it's all happening. GSW can chill.....while their previous closest rivals are seemingly sucking their thumbs.

Member 5225

And how does the draft work - i.e. the team picks in order (behind the scenes) one after the other. Or do they submit who they want (and hope the player isn't selected before them)? What about contracts, tonight is the first time a player finds out where they are going? What about the financial package etc?

Zen

When I said in the other thread(NHL), players and agents can dictate it more, this is where I meant. For instance, this Ball kid seemed to make sure he was going to the Lakers.....like if Lakers won the championship last year and had last pick, then he probably wouldn't have been able to manipulate it, but he wouldn't have gone top 3, forget 2....but because he, his dad and agent worked it, it happened.

But urgh, I kind of wanted the first pick to be used on this Ball just to mess everything up, but I seriously have no clue what goes on really. He'd just refuse to play and get the trade.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

And how does the draft work - i.e. the team picks in order (behind the scenes) one after the other. Or do they submit who they want (and hope the player isn't selected before them)? What about contracts, tonight is the first time a player finds out where they are going? What about the financial package etc?
The GM phones in their selections during the "on the clock" situation. Just like NFL, they all have a "big board" of their mock draft and takes the best player available based on that.

Crazy thing is, there are still trades for draft picks being negotiated between teams. So some teams may choose to drop up or down in the draft for other/future picks or cash.

Here's this year's rookie payscale:

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale/2018

Member 5225

The GM phones in their selections during the "on the clock" situation. Just like NFL, they all have a "big board" of their mock draft and takes the best player available based on that.

Crazy thing is, there are still trades for draft picks being negotiated between teams. So some teams may choose to drop up or down in the draft for other/future picks or cash.

Here's this year's rookie payscale:

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale/2018
interesting, thanks

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
9th pick for a 32 year old with a year on his contract?!
Two things: 1) Aldridge would immediately be an upgrade for the Mavs and a better and instant performer over any potential player available at #9, and 2) if one year left on the contract that gives the Mavs massive cap relief heading into 2018 to make a run at Cousins and another player.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
That's a horrible return for Bulls, honestly. Their team will be brutal next season, Wade must be pissed.

Sarni

Two things: 1) Aldridge would immediately be an upgrade for the Mavs and a better and instant performer over any potential player available at #9, and 2) if one year left on the contract that gives the Mavs massive cap relief heading into 2018 to make a run at Cousins and another player.
Dallas should rebuild. With the average age of 47 years they have no business getting another old player.

Sarni

Won't be surprised if Timberwolves pick with no. 16 turns out to be better than Markkanen.

Sarni

Fully expect Knicks to take Frank Ntilikina. I'll be happy with either DSJ or Monk. Please no feck ups Mark.
They have taken Ntilikina. Smith and Monk still available. I wonder if Kings will take one of them despite no need or trade down. They should take best player available, Monk will be better than Hield.

Mavs have to take Smith.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Smith to the Knicks? Have heard good and bad things about this kid. Was said that he's lazy and lacking motivation.

Edit: They took a Frenchie. Smith to the Mavs perhaps.

Sarni

I had to turn off Twitter and other forums as Woj is probably already 5 picks ahead. He was two ahead before, when they were announcing Jackson to Suns he already had Isaac to Magic.

Sarni

Apparently we got #10 from Kings for #15 and #20. Has to be Zach Collins if so.

Sarni

Yesssss, Zach Collins to Portland, GET IN!!!!!!!

Steep price to pay though. Two solid picks.

Fergies Gum

I had to turn off Twitter and other forums as Woj is probably already 5 picks ahead. He was two ahead before, when they were announcing Jackson to Suns he already had Isaac to Magic.
Surprised the NBA haven't told him to back off with the leaks.

Sarni

Huge reach by Miami IMO. He was often projected as a late first rounder.

Kings get Justin Jackson. Good player and a position of need.

Sarni

Patton looks good pick for Wolves.

So it's Markkanen, Dunn and LaVine for Butler and Patton.