NBA 2017-2018

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Package with Kemba is the only way. They could ship one of Batum and Howard with him to the Cavs. The trick would be to avoid getting JR and/or Thompson.
You can't avoid getting them if you are dealing with Cavs. They don't really have any expirings aside from Frye. They could maybe send back Shumpert who has a shorter contract but it still does not match salaries.

Kemba + Howard for Brooklyn pick + some of the Cavs shit players on high salaries but that's poor value, there's a low chance whoever gets picked with Brooklyn pick turns out better than Kemba.

Sarni

I hope they send Howard to the Cavs - would fit in perfectly in their current dressing room chaos. :lol:
Yeah I agree.

Kemba + Howard for Brooklyn pick + Shumpert + Frye + Thompson kind of works financially, I think. Kemba and Howard is about $37M, Shumpert ($10M) + Frye ($8M) + Thompson ($17M) basically matches it.

They'd have two top 10 picks then (their own and Brooklyn's). That's a rebuild.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Yeah I agree.

Kemba + Howard for Brooklyn pick + Shumpert + Frye + Thompson kind of works financially, I think. Kemba and Howard is about $37M, Shumpert ($10M) + Frye ($8M) + Thompson ($17M) basically matches it.

They'd have two top 10 picks then (their own and Brooklyn's). That's a rebuild.
IT and Crowder instead of Thompson and I'd accept that, if I were MJ. Though Cavs might prefer Batum to Howard.

Edit: By the way, can the disabled player exception be used on more than one player? If so, Celtics should be all over Tyreke.

Sarni

IT and Crowder instead of Thompson and I'd accept that, if I were MJ. Though Cavs might prefer Batum to Howard.

Edit: By the way, can the disabled player exception be used on more than one player? If so, Celtics should be all over Tyreke.
I forgot about IT, he's an expiring. I was meaning to say that he makes tanking harder because he's good but he's actually not good, he's crap. Crowder is a serviceable contract but outside Celtics system he's a bad, bad player.

No, you can use it only on one player. Celtics can still get Tyreke by sending them Yabu.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I forgot about IT, he's an expiring. I was meaning to say that he makes tanking harder because he's good but he's actually not good, he's crap. Crowder is a serviceable contract but outside Celtics system he's a bad, bad player.

No, you can use it only on one player. Celtics can still get Tyreke by sending them Yabu.
I'd rather take Crowder than Thompson though, all things considered. Although they can't do much with that extra cap space in the near future anyway, in fairness.

Tyreke is a no-brainer.

Sarni

I'd rather take Crowder than Thompson though, all things considered. Although they can't do much with that extra cap space in the near future anyway, in fairness.

Tyreke is a no-brainer.
Crowder costs $7M a year though, Cavs will prefer to keep him and send Thompson if they are taking back Howard.

They'll have to go through massive reboot in the Summer and Crowder might actually get you a late first from a stupid team or a decent second from a wise team.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Isiah Thomas traded to Lakers for Clarkson and Larry Nance Jr. Great trade for Lakers.
That's also a pretty good trade for the Cavs. I would have rather not lost Larry Nance Jr because I think he is a very good bench role guy for us, but I think it shows that we are sold on moving forward with Kuzma and Randle at the 4.

Unless Randle is packaged to move the Deng contract, but given we have been making noises about 2019 free agency I don't see the point in moving Randle or the urgency to move Deng's deal now.

ArseHat

Two expirings and a first, a good return for two role players although both had uses.

It’s about positioning for the upcoming free agency periods in the next couple of years so Rob and Magic did what had to be done.

Plus a 1st round pick going to LAL! IT's stock has plummeted so quickly...The Cavs are done.
Not gonna have his Boston tribute either unless he gets traded again. Shitty year for him after probably the best of his professional life last season. Hard to feel sorry for him though with his shitty attitude.

Last edited:

ArseHat

DWade will apparently return to Miami according to Stephen A.

Confirmed by Woj.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Having a week off
NBA Twitter is the best Twitter and NBA Reddit is the best Reddit, by the way.

edcunited1878

Two expirings and a first, a good return for two role players although both had uses.

It’s about positioning for the upcoming free agency periods in the next couple of years so Rob and Magic did what had to be done.

Not gonna have his Boston tribute either unless he gets traded again. Shitty year for him after probably the best of his professional life last season. Hard to feel sorry for him though with his shitty attitude.
His personal life last year was a complete wreck and to your point, he's absolutely peaked performance wise until he can prove himself to be fully healthy/recovered from his injury.

ArseHat

His personal life last year was a complete wreck and to your point, he's absolutely peaked performance wise until he can prove himself to be fully healthy/recovered from his injury.
Yep, he played his heart out last year, but did himself no favors this season (can’t fault him completely, but he isn’t without blame). Lost a lot of money during that span, shame for him.

What happens when Lonzo comes back? First 5 feet SG in history.
Doesnt really matter, he’ll likely be gone in free agency (unless he returns to Celtics form and takes a fan discount). I’d play him off the bench though.

Last edited:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Plus a 1st round pick going to LAL! IT's stock has plummeted so quickly...The Cavs are done.
It isn't ITs fault. It's the fault of the Cavs organization. He only played around 15 games and they give up on him already? He was never going to succeed there until Lebron is running the team.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
It isn't ITs fault. It's the fault of the Cavs organization. He only played around 15 games and they give up on him already? He was never going to succeed there until Lebron is running the team.
The Cavs organization cares about the Cavs organization succeeding not IT. There's no time to lose with their timeline. This has been a good day for them, changes were needed.

Last edited:

RDCR07

The Cavs organization cares about the Cavs organization succeeding not IT. There's no time to lose with their timeline. This has been a good day for them, changes were needed.
Duh. If Isiah succeeds, then Cavs succeed. He gets better means the team gets better.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
This clears the path for LeBron and George to the Lakers in FA.

RDCR07

Honestly don't think either of them are going there. I think they are going to make a play at Butler and Leonard next year and move forward with Lonzo, Butler, Leonard, Ingram as a "big 4"
Ingram nor Leonard can play the 4. Ingram may not be willing to come off the bench. Klay is another option.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Duh. If Isiah succeeds, then Cavs succeed. He gets better means the team gets better.
It's been all downhill for them since he came back and betting on everything fixing itself on its own would've been stupid. It's not worked out for IT there, for whatever reasons, and there have been no signs of this getting any better. They have no time to wait, anyway. With the Lakers guys they've added youth, athleticism and defense (that's more due to IT leaving than them coming) which they badly need. The locker room needed fresh blood, as well, and IT clearly didn't do well in there. It's not a great trade in a vacuum, it's an awful one if you think of it in terms of the Kyrie trade, but all things considered, it was needed now.

How they got Hood and Hill for a bunch of deadwood and got out of this with the Nets pick, I don't know. Frye and Wade leaving are the only things Cavs fans should be unhappy about now.

Last edited:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Ingram nor Leonard can play the 4. Ingram may not be willing to come off the bench. Klay is another option.
Between them both, they can guard most 4's. Walton has said numerous times he believes in positionless ball and I would trust him to make it work.

They all range from good to excellent defensively (Lonzo could do with being better on-ball but his help D is very good) and It would be interesting to see at least. With Hart, Kuzma, Randle coming off the bench behind them I think that we would be right back in the thick of things.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Honestly don't think either of them are going there. I think they are going to make a play at Butler and Leonard next year and move forward with Lonzo, Butler, Leonard, Ingram as a "big 4"
I think the trades today show that they probably will try to get James and PG this summer and if they fail, which is not unlikely, they'll go for Kawhi / Butler / Klay next year.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I don't really want LeBron either, but today's moves make it seem like we'll at least try (room for 2 max contracts now I think). George looks the most likeliest imo if you look at his comments and behaviour previous offseason.

I'd love Leonard though, and Butler would be welcome as well but I think he's staying in Minnesota.

RDCR07

Yeah Butler will not move. They have a stronger team than LA at the moment. They are building something as well.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Yeah Butler will not move. They have a stronger team than LA at the moment. They are building something as well.
We're talking about 2019 though, not now. Who knows what happens until then. KAT will be up for renewal then etc.

Rose apparently might go to Minnesota now. I'm not sure what that accomplishes but there you go.

Joe Johnson will surely get a buyout. I expect Thunder to be all over him.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Leonard, assuming Kawahi, is from Riverside just south of LA. But he doesn't like the spotlight so I definitely see him getting healthy and staying with Pop and the Spurs. He will not be moved.
LA is the last place for someone of his demeanor. Not aware of him saying he yearns for home either.

ZDwyr

I don't really want LeBron either, but today's moves make it seem like we'll at least try (room for 2 max contracts now I think). George looks the most likeliest imo if you look at his comments and behaviour previous offseason.

I'd love Leonard though, and Butler would be welcome as well but I think he's staying in Minnesota.
His tone/comments have changed a bit recently (FWIW). I think it's a genuine 50-50 he goes at this point. I don't think he'd leave unless LeBron or another superstar was there though. If they can't get anyone to play with him I can see him doing a 1+1 with OKC and rolling it back for one more season.

Overall thoughts on the deadline: pretty anticlimactic. Teams unwilling to let go of first-rounders a big reason for that. IT has had a very, very drama filled few months. Interesting to see how they manage him and Lonzo. A little disappointed with OKC's lack of movement as we don't really have anyone to guard Harden now - and that worries me.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Everyone is being stingy with their 1st round picks.
Yes, that's true. Memphis were in absolutely no position to drive a hard bargain though. And they got some decent offers, reportedly - Mudiay and a second rounder ; two second rounders and Yabu. Those are much better than nothing, which is what they will get now. Absurd.