NBA 2017-2018

Member 5225

Going Raptors opening night soon!
Do they have a ceremony type thing like the GSW did, or do they just go straight into the season?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Wow, two big names already. Hopefully the NBA doesn't follow the NFL's lead with everyone getting injured. Less minutes, more playing time for the bench is the only cure imo.
I mean is Lin really a "big name"? Realistically he had a good half a season with the Knicks.

freeurmind

weak willed
I mean is Lin really a "big name"? Realistically he had a good half a season with the Knicks.
Well I mean he is definitely well known, and he is a decent enough player. Yes I am biased as a Knicks fan.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Just to introduce the team for the season and a bit of fanfare. I don't know, it's American sports init!
Haha fair enough.

It most likely will stick to the same script. Individuals on the starting lineup come out one by one. Synchronized handshakes. The national anthem. Tip-off.

Member 5225

Haha fair enough.

It most likely will stick to the same script. Individuals on the starting lineup come out one by one. Synchronized handshakes. The national anthem. Tip-off.
Got it - always a good laugh going to a game.

freeurmind

weak willed
Thank goodness Thunder-Knicks has started, I had to google some of these guys playing for Chicago.

ArseHat

Westbrook with his first triple-double of the year. Each of the big three with 20+ points. Easy start to the season for OKC.

Member 5225

Got it - always a good laugh going to a game.
Back from the game.
Raptors easy win, but defensively so poor IMO.
Getting so many plaudits - not sure the team is THAT good.

Basically, great teams have star players lining up to join them, crap teams tank and pick up best young talent, and mid table teams just stay mid table (ala Raptors), have I got this right?

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Back from the game.

Basically, great teams have star players lining up to join them, crap teams tank and pick up best young talent, and mid table teams just stay mid table (ala Raptors), have I got this right?
Nowadays yes, pretty much. They change their places every once in a while though. Crap teams become mid table, then great. Great teams become crap. The only constant is the Spurs.

JoaquinJoaquin

Back from the game.

Raptors aren't that good. The window for them to be serious contenders closed about 12-18 months ago IMO. Destined for 3rd-5th in the East as usual.

Neutral

BTV
Simmons looks really good.
He's going to be approximately 1000 times better than Lonzo.

Big, quick, can handle the ball, can defend, good passer and can finish at the rim.

His jump shot needs some work - but you look at the skill set listed above, barring injury - he is going to be a very, very good player for a long time.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State

Big, quick, can handle the ball, can defend, good passer and can finish at the rim.

His jump shot needs some work - but you look at the skill set listed above, barring injury - he is going to be a very, very good player for a long time.
I saw him play when he was in college against UT (the one we won :), not the SEC tournament game). He'd had some academic problems so he didn't start but was still impressive, although do seem to remember he did turn it over quite a bit.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Keep in mind that Simmons has had 1 year worth of NBA training already. Deciding who's career will be better at this point is a crapshoot IMO.

freeurmind

weak willed
The problem for Lonzo is that his dad has created all this unrealistic expectation and of course he plays for the Lakers, so he can expect a lot of national media attention and those Laker fans can be viscous if things go wrong.
Simmons looks the real deal. Give him the ball more, making plays with both hands, really good around the rim. If Embiid can't go more than 25 mins a game then build around that guy.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Lonzo Ball was a bummer last night.
You think ? I thought he was let down immensely by a lack of movement and poor quality finishing, he should have had at least 3 - 5 more assists from some of the great looks he got his team mates. His passing is unreal. The outlet pass to Brook Lopez that lead to the clear path foul was perfect.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The only thing we found out last night was that Lakers are still bad. Everyone already knew how terrible Bulls and Knicks were.

Does the NBA League Pass allow me to view 8-10 minute highlights from games or do I have to watch either every single play or 2-minute highlights, in the app?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I think the Thunder could steal a game from the Warriors.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Westbrook with his first triple-double of the year. Each of the big three with 20+ points. Easy start to the season for OKC.
And a modest one too, with 21-10-16 and reduced but effective shooting. Just one game, but I hope he continues like that and buries the accusations of ball-hogging/stat-pimping, now that he has other gamewinners by his side again. Although to my untrained eye it looked like the Thunder still relied a lot on individual plays, not fluidity.

It's also gonna be another long season for the Knicks. They had little to offer besides Porzingis, who was impressive.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The only thing we found out last night was that Lakers are still bad. Everyone already knew how terrible Bulls and Knicks were.

Does the NBA League Pass allow me to view 8-10 minute highlights from games or do I have to watch either every single play or 2-minute highlights, in the app?
Don't think anyone seriously expected any different. Will still be a lottery team, especially in this Western Conference. Obviously won't get to keep the pick this time round.

Best case this year is show improvement, Lonzo to show flashes and Ingram start to really push on and become a desirable FA destination next summer.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
The boy Lonzo one assist away from a triple double tonight 29-11-9. He was our closer down the stretch. Great bounce back games from he and Ingram.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
We still gave up 130 points to the Suns, but I guess it's a start. I hope Ingram takes the next step this season and Ball proves to be a new franchise PG. Then land a couple of good FA acquisitions next Summer and try to compete for a playoff spot next season.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
We still gave up 130 points to the Suns, but I guess it's a start. I hope Ingram takes the next step this season and Ball proves to be a new franchise PG. Then land a couple of good FA acquisitions next Summer and try to compete for a playoff spot next season.
I really like the look of Ball and I think he'll turn out better than Fultz but Ingram is trash in my opinion. He's like a shit Wiggins and I don't rate Wiggins at all, I doubt he'll take a proper next step this season.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Yeah, I wouldn't bet on Ingram to become a great player, either. Brown already looks better, let alone Wiggins.

JoaquinJoaquin

League Pass does yeah. Called condensed highlights. Generally appear a few hours after the game ends.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Looks like Ball is a Kidd-clone minus the defense. Great passer, good rebounder, awkward shot.

Damn shame media keeps giving coverage to his idiot father.