NBA 2018-2019

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I see. Bucks -2.5 should be free money tonight. The Jazz should cover easily enough, as well.
I'm on Bucks for sure but will go for bigger spread. I think -3.5 at 2.10 is perfectly balanced.

I wanted Miami but with Dragic, Ellington, Johnson out and Winslow doubtful it's tricky. Indiana and Utah with 4-6 spreads look wonderful though.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Why Milwaukee (looking to get back into NBA betting but haven't followed it that closely this offseason)? As far as I can see their team is nothing special apart from Giannis while the Hornets are no pushovers with decent players in every position.

Skåre Willoch

Great to see the Celtics win, in convincing fashion as well I'd say. Great production from the bench as well. Tatum starting the season like he ended the last one, as the alpha dog. Brown is solid, and Kyrie is warming up. Hayward still look a bit rusty, naturally, but a good performance nevertheless.

How good is Simmons, though?! I can't even imagine what he'll be like with a decent shot, or even a few three pointers per game.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Why Milwaukee (looking to get back into NBA betting but haven't followed it that closely this offseason)? As far as I can see their team is nothing special apart from Giannis while the Hornets are no pushovers with decent players in every position.
The Bucks were coached by idiots in recent times, so they've underperformed. Now they have one of the best coaches in the league. Their team is quite good, certainly better than the Hornets. Middleton is very good and Bledsoe is still decent. They've got good role players in Brogdon, Lopez, Ilyasova and Henson.

Also, Giannis is completely unstoppable and the best player in the conference right now, so there's that. There is just no way to guard him.

Last edited:

Sarni

Milwaukee are IMO quite good and have a great coach. I think the roster they have right now is significantly better than last year. They needed shooters for the new system so went and got Lopez (who is probably a top 3 shooting big in the league) and Ilyasova who will both add floor spacing and open up the paint for Giannis. Giannis has also been shooting threes in preseason and that would be huge for them as well. Bledsoe was also quite good in the preseason and Middleton was very strong in the playoffs and if he could carry that form into this season he'd be a great second option.

I think they will be shooting much, much better this year than last season and their system will become way more efficient under Bud. Bud has been their biggest acquisition and considering what he did with that Atlanta team, given the talent of Giannis he should be able to surpass that at Bucks. Bledsoe, Brogdon, Middleton, Giannis and Lopez is a great lineup and I like Ilyasova off the bench. Depth could be a problem.

Charlotte have inexperienced coach. They have been pretty good at home for the last few years but their team does not have the talent of Milwaukee and I guess only Walker of that entire lineup would get into Milwaukee's team. Lamb is average, I don't like Zeller and Marvin Williams is underwhelming. Batum has been a shadow of himself too.

They could win because in NBA anything can happen but I have Milwaukee as strong favourites to take this one. I have Milwaukee as my dark horse for East finals and maybe even win conference.

Skåre Willoch

I'm tempted to place bets on Giannis as MVP and DPOY. Decent odds, and it's not totally unlikely he wins one of them.

Sarni

I'm tempted to place bets on Giannis as MVP and DPOY. Decent odds, and it's not totally unlikely he wins one of them.
MVP is likely. I don't think he will be DPOY.

Skåre Willoch

MVP is likely. I don't think he will be DPOY.
He's currently the favorite to win MVP with most bookies, together with Lebron and AD. He has quite a few big guns ahead of him to win the DPOY, but more than half of those guys are more likely to spend half the season in the physio room. Gobert, Kawhi, Draymond, Embiid. The field might just open up for him! Not very likely, I agree, but still a dark horse I'd say. More likely than the Bucks reaching the finals ;)

Sarni

He's currently the favorite to win MVP with most bookies, together with Lebron and AD. He has quite a few big guns ahead of him to win the DPOY, but more than half of those guys are more likely to spend half the season in the physio room. Gobert, Kawhi, Draymond, Embiid. The field might just open up for him! Not very likely, I agree, but still a dark horse I'd say. More likely than the Bucks reaching the finals ;)
AD is another one who is IMO very likely to win MVP. It will be one of them two but I expect Bucks to end up with a much better record than Pelicans (I think Bucks will get 53-55 wins, Pelicans around 45-47) so that will be a big factor.

Pelicans are another team to watch this year. Randle could be a great addition for them, very curious what Okafor and Payton can bring to the table and AD will be AD - amazing. I actually love those teams that are built around a special player who anchors both sides of the court like Giannis and AD. It's about surrounding them with correct type of talent and I think both teams have done very good job recently when it comes to that.

So hyped to have the NBA back!

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Was -9.5 the spread? Don't bet on GSW to cover it. They usually don't.
This is true. They don't seem to be arsed half the time to win never mind cover the spread. The only time I would bet on the Dubs is during the playoffs.

I'd actually be tempted to bet against them in the next two games. Last night they really looked out of shape (especially Draymond) and their next two games are in Utah which is about 4,000 feet up and then in Denver which is a mile high, plus the fact the Jazz and Nuggets should be pretty good this year in their own right.

Last edited:

Sarni

If Kawhi is healthy and back to previous levels he should be favorite for both. Situation + narrative are in his favor.
Of course but there are too many ifs with Kawhi for me to fancy him for either of these awards. Will he like it in Toronto, can he get motivated, can they adjust their system for him (a completely different player than DeRozan), can he get back to form after a year out of NBA. I still like that trade from Raptors perspective as this is virtually the only thing they could have done - have their last attempt at the title and then enter the rebuilding mode with cap space almost empty in 2020.

edcunited1878

If Kawhi is healthy and back to previous levels he should be favorite for both. Situation + narrative are in his favor.
Of course but there are too many ifs with Kawhi for me to fancy him for either of these awards. Will he like it in Toronto, can he get motivated, can they adjust their system for him (a completely different player than DeRozan), can he get back to form after a year out of NBA. I still like that trade from Raptors perspective as this is virtually the only thing they could have done - have their last attempt at the title and then enter the rebuilding mode with cap space almost empty in 2020.
Speaking of Kawhi...this is hilarious.

Sarni

Kemba is a great player. Bucks a bit disappointing tonight in the end, were quite good for the first three quarters but then completely collapsed in fourth.

JoaquinJoaquin

Kemba is a great player. Bucks a bit disappointing tonight in the end, were quite good for the first three quarters but then completely collapsed in fourth.
I can see the Knicks going for Kemba as the fallback option next Summer if KD decides to stay in GS.

Sarni

I can see the Knicks going for Kemba as the fallback option next Summer if KD decides to stay in GS.
He was on the record recently saying that he wants to stay at Charlotte. I think Knicks without Durant are not really that attractive to players, KD could go there because he would single handedly make them competitive in the East and could help Knox, Porzingis and Ntilikina (plus whoever they get in the next draft) grow but if you add Kemba to that young core then it's still barely a playoffs team. However if KD goes there I can see another big name free agent also going in that direction.

I think KD will go to New York next year though. Seems like a perfect scenario for the league if he does, Thompson and Green will remain at Golden State, Butler and Leonard will go to Clippers and the league will become competitive again.

Sarni

Its horrible, especially when they away team has a similar colored shirt like Milwaukee did last night.
You are completely wrong.

Charlotte will be fun if Monk starts playing like he had been expected to. A sleeper team IMO, Vegas have their line at 35.5 and I think they will absolutely crash it by at least 4-5 games. Expecting them to be around .500.

Sarni

I actually think Rockets won’t make it to the conference finals this year unless they pull off a trade like Butler. They are going to miss Ariza and Mbah a Moute badly on defense and I think Paul might have a slightly worse season at his age.

Pelicans looked incredible last night. They won’t sustain this kind of form but they will be so much fun to watch this year, I think Randle (especially him) and Payton are underrated acquisitions.

JoaquinJoaquin

I actually think Rockets won’t make it to the conference finals this year unless they pull off a trade like Butler. They are going to miss Ariza and Mbah a Moute badly on defense and I think Paul might have a slightly worse season at his age.

Pelicans looked incredible last night. They won’t sustain this kind of form but they will be so much fun to watch this year, I think Randle (especially him) and Payton are underrated acquisitions.
Defense is definitely a concern for the Rockets. Scary how washed Carmelo has gone, 2 years ago he was still half decent for the Knicks (although on a slight downturn).

Payton is a very underrated PG. He was in a horrid situation in Orlando, at least now he has some good team mates around him.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Pelicans will be relentless in the low post with AD and then Randle coming off the bench. They will have a constant physical presence.

Sarni

LeBron or not, you can't beat us Lakers. :drool: 16 in a row!

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Simmons with a triple double in 3 quarters. He is such a smooth mover across the court, he just glides and then explodes through two defenders. They bounce off him.

I wonder how hard Westbrook is sweating over what Simmons could do to his record.

Sarni

Pelicans will be relentless in the low post with AD and then Randle coming off the bench. They will have a constant physical presence.
True, their three bigs are a great mixture of physical attributes and shooting. It actually looks like Randle has learned to shoot will add a lot to his game.

Nik Stauskas though. Nik freaking Stauskas!

Sarni

The atmosphere at that Blazers v Lakers game though :drool: you can’t beat Blazwrs fans you bandwagon cnuts.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Defense is definitely a concern for the Rockets. Scary how washed Carmelo has gone, 2 years ago he was still half decent for the Knicks (although on a slight downturn).

Payton is a very underrated PG. He was in a horrid situation in Orlando, at least now he has some good team mates around him.
And he cut his ridiculous hair

Sarni

True, their three bigs are a great mixture of physical attributes and shooting. It actually looks like Randle has learned to shoot too.

Kearnkoff69

Awesome win for the Blazers. Lillard and McCollum looked locked in, and Stauskas had a huge night. This Lakers team is still very far from playoff contention (remembering that there are still 81 games left), but they'll be fun to watch win or lose.

JoaquinJoaquin

Awesome win for the Blazers. Lillard and McCollum looked locked in, and Stauskas had a huge night. This Lakers team is still very far from playoff contention (remembering that there are still 81 games left), but they'll be fun to watch win or lose.
I think the Lakers will still comfortably get in the playoffs, But they will get bounced in the first 2 rounds.