NBA 2019-2020

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
i wont cheer Kawhi next year
Insane. He won you the only championship that franchise will win in a long long long time. He is an automatic legend over there after just one season.

edcunited1878

The Raptors and everyone else knew exactly what you were getting into bed with when trading for Leonard. It was special that it worked out even after the Warriors sustained all of their injuries. Raptors got what they wanted and now are left with what was a clear possibility.

No need to be bitter.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Insane. He won you the only championship that franchise will win in a long long long time. He is an automatic legend over there after just one season.
Vince Carter, McGrady, Bosh now Kawhi.

Nobody wants to stay here. its easy for you to say that.

We had a chance to win multiple rings.

Now? same old, same old.

I wont boo him and am thankful, but i hope he fails with that superteam that doesnt even thave their own arena.

Fridge chutney

Now? same old, same old.

I wont boo him and am thankful, but i hope he fails with that superteam that doesnt even thave their own arena.
Cry more

Kaos

Gutted Kawhi has opted not to stay but I’m glad he didn’t go to the lakers. Think Masai is going to start a rebuild job. Will probably look to trade Gasol, Ibaka or even Lowry for some assets.

I think the Raptors should just mirror the Spurs model and focus on international players. Maybe a cheeky Giannis push in the future :drool:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Gutted Kawhi has opted not to stay but I’m glad he didn’t go to the lakers. Think Masai is going to start a rebuild job. Will probably look to trade Gasol, Ibaka or even Lowry for some assets.

I think the Raptors should just mirror the Spurs model and focus on international players. Maybe a cheeky Giannis push in the future :drool:
You should go national, Wiggins would be a great fit.

Kaos

Now? same old, same old.

Vinsanity left because our front office at the time were clowns who refused to back him up with a competent support cast. TMac left because he didn’t like being in Vince’s shadow. Bosh left for the easy ring.

Kawhi was just a weird, unpredictable dude and I’m pretty sure he was always dead set on playing close to come.

I don’t think it’s necessarily Toronto itself, on the contrary all of our stars past and present make no secret of how much they loved the city.

Having said that I do think we should mostly focus on international players or Americans from shithole states (ie not California or NY).

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Now? same old, same old.

I'd sympathize with you but you knew what you were getting from Kawhi. He originally tried to force a move to LA from the Spurs and Pop wasn't having any of that. Sending him to the Raptors was just delaying the inevitable, and credit to you guys for flipping that into a ring. But this was the likeliest scenario.

Just don't retire his jersey or anything silly like that.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Nice story about Kawhi recruiting firsts Durant and then PG. Seems like board man is quite a good recruiter.
He failed to land Durant? Not so good then, and it was an absolute no brainer for George coming to LA.

I hope the Clippers fail miserably next year but sadly chances of that happening are slim.

Kaos

You're a Minnesota fan aren't you :lol:
Not sure if serious, but I’m actually encouraged by the new wave of Canadian talent going into the NBA. Would be poetic if someone like RJ triggers the entire US media by deciding he wanted to play close to home

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Now? same old, same old.

That's a lot of love for a player who gave you a ring not many thought you were getting.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Not sure if serious, but I’m actually encouraged by the new wave of Canadian talent going into the NBA. Would be poetic if someone like RJ triggers the entire US media by deciding he wanted to play close to home
Nothing to do with that. It's more the point that Wiggins, relative to his salary, is utter garbage.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me

Bullshit.

Raps back to irrelevancy.

I thought Kawhi wasnt about super teams.

I hope both LA teams fail miserably.

feck superteams. Raptors won the organic way.

our only hope is Giannis but that probably wont happen.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

feck this.

:lol:

RedDevilCanuck

Just thought Kawhi was a different guy who wouldn't recruit for an easy ring. Boy was I wrong. Blinded by the ring I guess.

He is just like all the nba stars. Toronto is still an afterthought.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Just thought Kawhi was a different guy who wouldn't recruit for an easy ring. Boy was I wrong. Blinded by the ring I guess.

He is just like all the nba stars. Toronto is still an afterthought.
Okay, think about this: Kawhi has no real connection to Toronto. He's born and raised in LA. He went to the Spurs after no one gave him a chance. His own hard work + the Spurs made him into an all star. After spending many years there, it's not surprise that he would want to go back to LA after they have the potential for a championship-winning team. We were obviously not in the picture here. The Spurs sent us Kawhi because we gave them the best deal out of all of the teams at the time.

We got the championship. That in itself is huge. For this season and the future, I'd put faith in our FO. They have done a great job over the years. With Lowry, Ibaka, and Gasol entering their final years, we can either go for a big push again with Siakam as the main man or start trading them away to rebuild for the future. If we're trying to go for one last big push, we're unfortunately over the cap space, and there aren't any good free agents out there anymore that can help us.

It happens. Move on. Our competent FO will keep us going. Thank Leiweke for setting MLSE straight and establishing a winning culture within all MLSE teams.

Last edited:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Also:

Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather not give away our entire future for that.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Saw Westbrook's contract and salaries - he's likely not going anywhere with that much in salary and the rules on matching within a certain percentage in a trade. Unless those rules are different now than under past CBAs.

AFC NimbleThumb

So apparently OKC tried to send Russ and George to Toronto for a deal involving Siakam and picks and Ujiri said no. If that's true, that is insane and a fireable offense from Ujiri championship or not.
Is this true?

He got his max añd his wish to go back home. It's down on the management and it's not Westbrook's fault.
The problem management had was giving him the max in the first place but it’s impossible to not give it to him once KD leaves.

The 3 contracts; Westbrook, George & Adams hamstrung them.

I personally think the mismanagement goes back to penny pinching over the Harden contract but it’s easy to Monday quarterback that deal.

Kaos

Is this true?

The problem management had was giving him the max in the first place but it’s impossible to not give it to him once KD leaves.

The 3 contracts; Westbrook, George & Adams hamstrung them.

I personally think the mismanagement goes back to penny pinching over the Harden contract but it’s easy to Monday quarterback that deal.
Masai was right to turn that down.

Art

Art the artist
Boogie joins the Lakers on a one year deal and Russ wants out of OKC per Woj.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Bullshit.

Raps back to irrelevancy.

I thought Kawhi wasnt about super teams.

I hope both LA teams fail miserably.

feck superteams. Raptors won the organic way.

our only hope is Giannis but that probably wont happen.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

feck this.
A team with 2 stars isn't a super team, get off your high horse.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm a Wolves fan and I'm pretty sure that I did something terrible in a previous life.

AFC NimbleThumb

Woj reporting Westbrook & OKC ‘engaged’ in discussions about what to do with the possibility of a trade.

If OKC can get another draft haul & a taker for Adams they should cut bait & rebuild.

They ruined the Harden-KD-Westbrook era; I think this could be time to start again.

RedDevilCanuck

A team with 2 stars isn't a super team, get off your high horse.
Maybe not on Lebron Bosh Wade level but Kawhi recruited PG amd PG forced a trade. That is modern player power.

The Raptors' winning team was done by shrewd drafting and bold trades. The old fashioned way.