NBA 2019-2020

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Don't think we're going back after D-Lo, yeah he improved but there's a reason we let him go in the first place, I'd imagine.

We'd be favourites in the West if we sign one of the top free agents. Don't think Kawhi wants to come, but Irving (and maybe Klay?) is a real possibility. I'd hope Jeanie and Rob knew what they were doing when they traded Zubac and company away, maybe they already know they'll be able to sign one of the max guys.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Okay, Irving and Thompson??!?
That is not possible, is it?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
With his injury Thompson should be a wait and see not a max deal now.
This. Loyalty works both ways but executives won't just hand out max contracts because of past accomplishments and potentially jeopardize the future of the team.

It's also true for any team wanting to sign him though, the Lakers will also have to offer him a max if they want to have any chance at signing him. His game shouldn't be affected too much if he fully recovers but still, it's a bad injury and long rehab process.

stepic

With his injury Thompson should be a wait and see not a max deal now.
he's about to become an unrestricted free agent. the Warriors don't have any choice but to give him the max. if they don't, someone else will.

there is no chance they don't give him the max.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Klay Thompson is definitely getting the max with the warriors. There is 0 chance he is leaving . Absolutely no chance

Grib

They didn’t trade away Wagner and Bonga to get to $32million, and get AD to waive his bonus to invest that into more than one max player to be honest. That $32million number is clearly indicating they want a max guy, otherwise they would have moved these moves later.
Pretty much this, it's all in for sure

Edit

And I feel they didn't do this unless they had some near assurance that one of the top tier is going to join

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
he's about to become an unrestricted free agent. the Warriors don't have any choice but to give him the max. if they don't, someone else will.

there is no chance they don't give him the max.
Tbh, even without his injury I don't think Thompson is a max deal kind of player, he really isn't as good as to warrant a max deal.

stepic

Tbh, even without his injury I don't think Thompson is a max deal kind of player, he really isn't as good as to warrant a max deal.
if he's considered a top 20 player (which i'd say most people would agree he is), then he's a max deal player.

is he as good as other players also earning the max? nope. but that's just how the system works.

Jagga7

:confused::confused::confused: One of the great shooters in NBA history or who is also a very good defender. You're talking complete nonsense.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
:confused::confused::confused: One of the great shooters in NBA history or who is also a very good defender. You're talking complete nonsense.
He is great player, just not a max player imo, he isn't at the level of Durant/Harden/Curry/LeBron/Lillard etc, shouldn't there be a difference in salary?

stepic

He is great player, just not a max player imo, he isn't at the level of Durant/Harden/Curry/LeBron/Lillard etc, shouldn't there be a difference in salary?
technically yes, there should be. but that's not how the salary system works in the NBA.

Jagga7

He's the best 2 guard in the league. Every team would max him if they had the chance.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Well there will be since he's not eligible for a supermax. That distinction is already made in CBA, it's 5% of salary cap difference.

He will get what Kyrie, Kemba will get, and he deserves it. Actually he will get less than them now I think of it, because they'll both be eligible for a super max. He will get what Harris and Middleton receive, and he's better than both of them by a margin.

Last edited:

Sarni

Of course, well deserved contract.

Meanwhile it looks like Hornets will let Kemba go. Only offered him $160million for 5 years which is $61million short of supermax he can get and on a yearly rate it’s even lower than what Celtics will give him. It seems he’s almost a lock to join Boston.

ArseHat

I think NBA analysts/reporters had Klay at over 90% on staying with the Warriors in a poll about where the free agents will end up this summer. He's been the surest bet out of all of the top free agents.

Lacob loves the guy and said he'll do everything to keep him as they have a special connection with Klay being the first draft pick his regime made. His dad also does radio for the Lakers, and he's been consistently asked about the chances Klay comes to LA, but he's always said that his son is happy at GS.
And I feel they didn't do this unless they had some near assurance that one of the top tier is going to join
Definitely. Nothing is certain, but Rich Paul/AD said they’d only waive the kicker if they were confident the Lakers would be able to lure a top free agent, so they know something is in the works. They wouldn’t have waived it without assurances that someone they feel can take them up a level is coming. They will try for Kawhi, Kyrie, Jimmy, and Kemba, probably in that order.

I doubt they'll end up with Kawhi or Kyrie but you never know. Both are hard to read, marching to the beat of their own drum, and neither have gone by the book in terms of career moves. KD may have a big part to play yet, as he could be one of the catalysts for the dominos to start falling.

They have a chance at Butler or Kemba, though (although it looks like Boston is going in hard for Kemba), which was better than the situation they were in prior to yesterday. Even if they fail with them, there's still the B/C tier FA's like DLo and co., and they'll have more cap room to play around with. The issue will be if the process of signing the top free agents gets dragged out and it becomes a waiting game, they may end up losing out on the B and C tier targets, which obviously won't be an issue if they succeed in signing one of the top 4.

Sarni

As much as I rate Kemba, Vucevic is a better match for Boston.
I don’t think so. Vucevic had a great year but he’s still an average defender and a worse player than Horford overall. Of course they can’t keep Horford but I would say getting Walker and Capela is better than getting just Vuc and extending Rozier.

Sarni

I’ll be so disappointed if Lakers land Kawhi.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Would be hilarious if after all the crying about the warriors the league gets another super team

ZDwyr

As much as I rate Kemba, Vucevic is a better match for Boston.
There are about two centers in the league who actually make a significant difference to their teams. The most replaceable position there is without a doubt. Boston should absolutely prioritse Kemba over Vucevic.

Sarni

Kawhi and KD have apparently been discussing possibility of teaming up. That would be Clippers I guess.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So the Wolves found a away to get rid of Wiggins?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I would laugh so much if the Knicks got him. He has the most negative value of anyone in the league.
Seriously, the rumour is almost unreal. Though potentially having Russell on a max contract worries me a little bit.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I honestly don't understand why everyone hates the Lakers and their fans.

Sarni

Collison retiring, Mirotic goes back to Europe in his prime... weird stuff.

Lakers are setting up a meeting with Russell. Irving expected to sign with Nets tomorrow.