g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

NBA 2021-2022

SinNombre

If the tiering you want @charlton66 is purely about legacies or potential all-time ranking of currently active players (who are still starter quality), it would be
Tier 1 (all-time top 20) : Lebron, Steph, KD, Giannis
Tier 2 (all-time next 30) : Kawhi, Chris Paul, Jokic (unlikely he breaks top 20), Doncic(will get there without injuries, and has potential to get to top-20)
Tier 3 (51-100) : Harden, Dame, AD, Embiid, Butler, Tatum, Kyrie
Tier 4 (101-200) : Klay, Draymond, Westbrook, Gobert, Lowry, PG, Morant, Trae, Booker (last 3 have potential to go higher though not tier-1 potential)

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
If the tiering you want @charlton66 is purely about legacies or potential all-time ranking of currently active players (who are still starter quality), it would be
Tier 1 (all-time top 20) : Lebron, Steph, KD, Giannis
Tier 2 (all-time next 30) : Kawhi, Chris Paul, Jokic (unlikely he breaks top 20), Doncic(will get there without injuries, and has potential to get to top-20)
Tier 3 (51-100) : Harden, Dame, AD, Embiid, Butler, Tatum, Kyrie
Tier 4 (101-200) : Klay, Draymond, Westbrook, Gobert, Lowry, PG, Morant, Trae, Booker (last 3 have potential to go higher though not tier-1 potential)
That's a lot more like I was trying to do. In simple terms from today's players, who would you say was an all time great, who would you say was a superstar and who was a star.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
There's no doubt if you include Harden's legacy (MVPs, scoring titles etc...) that at his best he was a superstar.
he is and always was a fraud. Killing it in the circus part of the season but then doing feck all when it actually matters.

ZDwyr

For arguments sake if we postulate that there are 20 top players in the current NBA and you can put those players into 3 categories: all time great, superstar, and star. Who are the 20 and what categories would you put them in?

Mine:

All time greats: LeBron, Steph, KD, Giannis.

Superstar: Kawhi (borderline, but too many injuries), Embiid, Jokic, Luka, CP3, Tatum, Harden (going to still give him the benefit of the doubt)

Star: Ja, George, Young, Davis, Lillard, Brown, Mitchell, Booker, Butler
This is a fair list, IMO. However, I'd have Tatum still in the 'Star' tier for the moment. Kawhi and Harden could potentially go to the all-time great tier in the future (although I'd say it is unlikely, especially for Harden considering how he looked).

ZDwyr

That's a lot more like I was trying to do. In simple terms from today's players, who would you say was an all time great, who would you say was a superstar and who was a star.
If you use this criteria (rather than the current Top 20 players) then Westbrook is included and should be ahead of many of the nominations given for current legacy (e.g., Dame, Butler, Tatum, Embiid) and obviously a wait-and-see for future legacies (but I expect Luka to surpass him....Tatum also a possible candidate).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think you're looking at this a little differently than I was. It looks like you are picking your top 20 players and putting them in tiers whereas I was just trying to categorize who I thought were either all time greats, superstars or stars amongst active players and I just chose the 20 who I thought had the most "star power" based on their legacy and/or achievements.

Looking at your list, I don't think there's any doubt that Jokic and Embiid are top tier players but I don't think either one of them have either been around long enough or have enough playoff accomplishments to meet the criteria of an all time great but I do think they meet the definition of superstar.

Ultimately accomplishments was what finally decided me on leaving KAT out of my 20 because he's never won a playoff series which to me affects his legacy and therefore whether he was one of the players I chose to list or not .
I see but then your list is even stranger because you put the likes of Booker, Mitchell or Young ahead of the likes of Middleton, Irving or Westbrook when they all achieved far more.

JPRouve

Scout
@charlton66

In hindsight, if you were in charge of the Warriors would you still pick Wiseman over Ball, taking into account the Kuminga pick? Assuming that Wiseman was fit.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I see but then your list is even stranger because you put the likes of Booker, Mitchell or Young ahead of the likes of Middleton, Irving or Westbrook when they all achieved far more.
That's probably why I shouldn't have picked 20 since the number of all time greats, stars and superstars is what it is. I picked 20 because it seemed a decent cutoff point but I definitely missed a few. I deliberately left Westbrook off my list because to be honest based on where he stands today I couldn't figure out which category to put him in.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
@charlton66

In hindsight, if you were in charge of the Warriors would you still pick Wiseman over Ball, taking into account the Kuminga pick? Assuming that Wiseman was fit.
Bloody hell imagine LaMelo running the point with this team :drool: that's an injustice GSW did too all basketball fans.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Harden, Westbrook and Carmelo Anthony should go into same historically shit tier. Happy their careers are ending the waý they are.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
@charlton66

If Wiseman was fit and turns out to be the player the Dubs expect him to be, he is still the player the Dubs need - a big man who can rim protect and rebound. As to Ball, he is a good player but a bit of a hot dog. I'm not sure how well he would fit into the Warriors all for one "strength in numbers" culture.

JPRouve

Scout
If Wiseman was fit and turns out to be the player the Dubs expect him to be, he is still the player the Dubs need - a big man who can rim protect and rebound. As to Ball, he is a good player but a bit of a hot dog. I'm not sure how well he would fit into the Warriors all for one "strength in numbers" culture.
He seems to be a team player, did I miss something?

JPRouve

Scout
Bloody hell imagine LaMelo running the point with this team :drool: that's an injustice GSW did too all basketball fans.
He seems perfect. A distributor, that is long, skilled, can shoot and hold his own defensively.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
He seems perfect. A distributor, that is long, skilled, can shoot and hold his own defensively.
I suppose it comes down to "do the Dubs need another distributor or a rebounder and rim protector?" Since they have been leading the league (or close) the last few years in assists and have often struggled on the boards, I would still prioritize getting in a good big man over another passer. As to LaMelo himself, maybe I'm letting his father's horrible presence influence me on his fit with the team.

JPRouve

Scout
I suppose it comes down to "do the Dubs need another distributor or a rebounder and rim protector?" Since they have been leading the league (or close) the last few years in assists and have often struggled on the boards, I would still prioritize getting in a good big man over another passer. As to LaMelo himself, maybe I'm letting his father's horrible presence influence me on his fit with the team.
You see, that's how this point topic crossed my mind. The Wolves need rebounding but their bigs are prolific rebounders, the issue is with the guard who are subpar rebounders. Since I'm always looking at thing from a Wolves perspective, it kind of dawned on me, that your issues is with your starting guards/wings who are not good rebounders partially because they lack size and some of your key players are "badly" lacking in offense or defense. Enters Lamelo Ball, he gives all you need from the wing/guard position, as a package he is a better rebounder, distributor and shooter than Wiggins or Poole.

And it's not say that Poole, Wiggins and Thompson aren't good players but that in hindsight you had the opportunity to have the perfect backcourt/wing, especially with the way you play.

Regarding LaMelo, my understanding is that people misjudged both him and Edwards, from what I understand they are both team oriented, hard working and nice kids.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
You see, that's how this point topic crossed my mind. The Wolves need rebounding but their bigs are prolific rebounders, the issue is with the guard who are subpar rebounders. Since I'm always looking at thing from a Wolves perspective, it kind of dawned on me, that your issues is with your starting guards/wings who are not good rebounders partially because they lack size and some of your key players are "badly" lacking in offense or defense. Enters Lamelo Ball, he gives all you need from the wing/guard position, as a package he is a better rebounder, distributor and shooter than Wiggins or Poole.

And it's not say that Poole, Wiggins and Thompson aren't good players but that in hindsight you had the opportunity to have the perfect backcourt/wing, especially with the way you play.

Regarding LaMelo, my understanding is that people misjudged both him and Edwards, from what I understand they are both team oriented, hard working and nice kids.
For discussions sake, let's presume I don't have a problem with the ball patriarch, the issue then becomes "need." Even if LaMelo was the perfect fit, you still have Wiggins, Thompson and Poole under contract and they can all do things which the Dubs value even if for discussions sake we say that LaMelo can do them better. With LaMelo, they still lack an interior presence and would have duplication of effort in multiple areas. If Wiseman can be the player the Dubs expected him to be (big if maybe) I still think he was the right choice.

JPRouve

Scout
For discussions sake, let's presume I don't have a problem with the ball patriarch, the issue then becomes "need." Even if LaMelo was the perfect fit, you still have Wiggins, Thompson and Poole under contract and they can all do things which the Dubs value even if for discussions sake we say that LaMelo can do them better. With LaMelo, they still lack an interior presence and would have duplication of effort in multiple areas. If Wiseman can be the player the Dubs expected him to be (big if maybe) I still think he was the right choice.
That's fair but I don't think that you draft for need when you are in the lottery and I also think that Lamelo Ball fits a need while also being the superior talent. And then there is this interrogation, is the n°2 pick where you draft someone for rebounding and rim protection? I don't know if even Gobert would justify it, I'm under the impression that at the top of the draft only score driving bigs justify a selection over the best wings/guards particularly when we are talking about relatively large 1s-3s.

Interestingly our conversation is exemplified by the 2018 draft where many teams at the top of the draft seemingly drafted for needs and picked more bigs than usual, almost all of them proved to be the wrong pick even for good players.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
That's fair but I don't think that you draft for need when you are in the lottery and I also think that Lamelo Ball fits a need while also being the superior talent. And then there is this interrogation, is the n°2 pick where you draft someone for rebounding and rim protection? I don't know if even Gobert would justify it, I'm under the impression that at the top of the draft only score driving bigs justify a selection over the best wings/guards particularly when we are talking about relatively large 1s-3s.

Interestingly our conversation is exemplified by the 2018 draft where many teams at the top of the draft seemingly drafted for needs and picked more bigs than usual, almost all of them proved to be the wrong pick even for good players.
I think the Dubs had/have visions of Wiseman becoming more of an offensive force eventually. I think rim protection and rebounding were just the basic minimums they expected of him.

Funnily enough, I think somebody they were hoping he mind end up being similar to is Karl Anthony Towns.

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Talking about lists well Nick wrong has been doing this recently . Kawhi being 32 felt so wrong to me

SinNombre

@JPRouve warriors didn’t think they were a lottery team when drafting Wiseman so draft the best talent available didn’t really apply and they could draft for need.

Lamelo over Wiseman in isolation.

Drafting Lamelo would have taken minutes from Poole, who likely will never be as good but will almost certainly develop to be good enough as 3rd option for a championship team, so the nuanced answer is not so simple.

Ant would have been perfect.

Ant, old man Steph, Poole, Wiggins, Kuminga would be a championship contender once Klay and Draymond roll off

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I would say that the Hall of Fame consideration / induction is a good benchmark for stars / superstars and one borderline name at this moment in time is Rondo. As for the current finalists, would Draymond, Brown, Horford get in the conversation, in case they pull a monster rabbit out of the current 2-2 Finals series and propel their team to the ring? I am seeing Klay and Tatum (barring a catastrophe) already in the future HoF discourse. Curry is clearly one notch above them all as a superstar and his Game 4 monster performance just adds to his wide and long legacy.

SinNombre

Draymond is a guaranteed HoF inclusion.

Probably an unpopular one with fans but it’s what it is.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Draymond is a guaranteed HoF inclusion.

Probably an unpopular one with fans but it’s what it is.
I agree, rare to see a player make it with his stats though. Of course we don’t have defensive stats for the old days to compare that side, but there’s pretty much no one in the hall just on defense.

Bruce Bowen might deserve consideration on those grounds, and for being the prototype 3 & D player that is so crucial to the modern game.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I agree, rare to see a player make it with his stats though. Of course we don’t have defensive stats for the old days to compare that side, but there’s pretty much no one in the hall just on defense.

Bruce Bowen might deserve consideration on those grounds, and for being the prototype 3 & D player that is so crucial to the modern game.
Rodman not only made into the HOF but was also one of the top 75 all time and it was purely on defense.

Draymond actually has a higher ppg average than Dennis Rodman.

Last edited:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Rodman not only made into the HOF but was also one of the top 75 all time and it was purely on defense.

Draymond actually has a higher ppg average than Dennis Rodman.
Can you name another besides Rodman? Here’s the only one who came to mind for me. Plus his rebounding rating was consistently miles above anyone else’s, he’s pound for pound the greatest rebounder ever, and deserves inclusion just based on that.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Can you name another besides Rodman? Here’s the only one who came to mind for me. Plus his rebounding rating was consistently miles above anyone else’s, he’s pound for pound the greatest rebounder ever, and deserves inclusion just based on that.
Ben Wallace?

Payton made it in based on his defensive skills too.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Ben Wallace?

Payton made it in based on his defensive skills too.
Ben Wallace is a good shout, I thought if him after the post. Certainly The Glove got in on defense at least in large part.

I still think it's rare.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Ben Wallace is a good shout, I thought if him after the post. Certainly The Glove got in on defense at least in large part.

I still think it's rare.
Also, defensive impact is harder to quantity, beyond basics like rebounds and steals and blocks. It's possible that there others who have gone under the radar historically because their defensive importance on the court didn't translate in basic box score stats.

Absolutely

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The case against HoF Draymond is many fans (and me) can not see his “originality” or indisputable mark very clearly, apart of being the heart and the defensive staple of the very successful, prime Dubs cycle… which may well be enough, mind… yet not as clear cut as other defense-first names you rightfully added to support his case.

I named Rondo as the borderline, defense-first case because many fans are disputing his possible HoF inclusion as well, in spite of his two rings (one early in his career, another late), his stats as a defensive IQ genius, his contribution as a maverick PG and passes, and his characteristic playoff-Rondo transformation at crunch time.

Do you really have Draymond as a better case than 50/50-HoF-inclusion Rondo overall?

EDIT: just reading basketball reference, having both at 60% probability… n18 and n19 among the active players…… and Klay behind them at n21 with 51%!?

Last edited:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Also, defensive impact is harder to quantity, beyond basics like rebounds and steals and blocks. It's possible that there others who have gone under the radar historically because their defensive importance on the court didn't translate in basic box score stats.

Absolutely
I agree completely. Mutumbo was an underrated scorer, but that’s another great shout. Also a tremendous ambassador for the game.

The greatest of them all, Bill Russell, was better at defense than anything else.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
One that most people probably won't remember - Wes Unseld. Also made top 75.