NBA 2022-2023

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
New version of 2k23 on PS5 comes.with 12 month League pass subscription so you get Game+League pass for £129.99 which is an absolute steal.
I advertised this trick here before but if you subscribe to League Pass on Apple device and go into Subscriptions to renew, it may give you an option to purchase India subscription for a fraction of the price. I am currently paying 6 PLN (£1) a month for mine.

Sarni

Nets have apparently set their asking price for Durant so high that it will be impossible for anyone to get there. Rumor has it that when Minnesota called they asked for Towns, Edwards and 4 picks.

Charlie Foley

I advertised this trick here before but if you subscribe to League Pass on Apple device and go into Subscriptions to renew, it may give you an option to purchase India subscription for a fraction of the price. I am currently paying 6 PLN (£1) a month for mine.
I’ll try this

Edit: @Sarni do I need a VPN or could I just pick the country?

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nets have apparently set their asking price for Durant so high that it will be impossible for anyone to get there. Rumor has it that when Minnesota called they asked for Towns, Edwards and 4 picks.
It's the Nets that called from what I understand. They made that silly offer.

Sarni

It's the Nets that called from what I understand. They made that silly offer.
Could be.

Now seeing scenarios where Toronto trade Barnes, OG and Siakam plus 3 first round picks and 2 swaps for Durant. This is getting ridiculous. He is great but he is nowhere near awesome enough to trade your entire team for him. He’s also 34 and played in 90 games over the last three years.

Sarni

Dame has the highest guaranteed salary in NBA now. $122m in two years in age 36 and 37 seasons. Wow.

Last edited:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Hardy looks fantastic for a 37th pick so far.

R'hllor

Hardy was dropping like a stone compared to projections on draft, for whatever reason. Wasnt he in the green room aswell.

JPRouve

Scout
Could be.

Now seeing scenarios where Toronto trade Barnes, OG and Siakam plus 3 first round picks and 2 swaps for Durant. This is getting ridiculous. He is great but he is nowhere near awesome enough to trade your entire team for him. He’s also 34 and played in 90 games over the last three years.
Pretty much. If you get Durant for the ridiculous cost mentioned then you don't have the team that he would like to play for.

There is actually something a bit more perplexing about that offer, if I'm not mistaken both KAT and Simmons were on designated rookie extension contracts which means that they couldn't get KAT without trading Simmons away. The same applies to Siakam. Apparently you can't have two players on designated rookie extensions if they are both acquired by trade.

Stacks

Dame has the highest guaranteed salary in NBA now. $122m in two years in age 36 and 37 seasons. Wow.
Dame is so determined to win with Portland he crucifies their cap space in a small market team :drool:
can't wait to see them surround him with more role players and he can tweet/rap about loyalty.

Pretty much. If you get Durant for the ridiculous cost mentioned then you don't have the team that he would like to play for.

There is actually something a bit more perplexing about that offer, if I'm not mistaken both KAT and Simmons were on designated rookie extension contracts which means that they couldn't get KAT without trading Simmons away. The same applies to Siakam. Apparently you can't have two players on designated rookie extensions if they are both acquired by trade.
its just smoke and mirrors. The nets deliberately asking for obscene demands knowing teams won't do it. As they should since he is 1 year into a 4-year deal and likes to bail on teams so he needa ride out this year. Think owners will be watching closely how this pans out.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

There is actually something a bit more perplexing about that offer, if I'm not mistaken both KAT and Simmons were on designated rookie
extension contracts which means that they couldn't get KAT without trading Simmons away. The same applies to Siakam. Apparently you can't have two players on designated rookie extensions if they are both acquired by trade.
Siakam isn’t on a designated player extension contract. That’s the 5 year max, he’s on the 4 years max contract.

JPRouve

Scout
Siakam isn’t on a designated player extension contract. That’s the 5 year max, he’s on the 4 years max contract.
Spotrac and ESPN have the current contract as a designated player extension but looking into it the trade rule only applies to 5 year contract and not to 4 years. So you are right Siakam could be traded.

Sarni

Dame is so determined to win with Portland he crucifies their cap space in a small market team :drool:
can't wait to see them surround him with more role players and he can tweet/rap about loyalty.

its just smoke and mirrors. The nets deliberately asking for obscene demands knowing teams won't do it. As they should since he is 1 year into a 4-year deal and likes to bail on teams so he needa ride out this year. Think owners will be watching closely how this pans out.
As a Blazers fan I am in the minority, I don’t actually love the whole fascination with Dame. He’s been loyal to the team but also he got all the money in the world and team’s desire to build around him with the perception of having to deliver a ring to him has held us back at times. He is realistically not good enough to lead a team to a championship but would be great as a second option next to a top 5-10 player. I like that we have still accumulated some quality young talent now in Simons, Little and Sharpe (with Watford and Walker also looking quite good) which will help the transition when he inevitably fades in the later stages of his career.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
As a Blazers fan I am in the minority, I don’t actually love the whole fascination with Dame. He’s been loyal to the team but also he got all the money in the world and team’s desire to build around him with the perception of having to deliver a ring to him has held us back at times. He is realistically not good enough to lead a team to a championship but would be great as a second option next to a top 5-10 player. I like that we have still accumulated some quality young talent now in Simons, Little and Sharpe (with Watford and Walker also looking quite good) which will help the transition when he inevitably fades in the later stages of his career.
One problem is that players of his type - supermaxed, undersized, weak defender, great scorer - historically have never been able to lead teams to greatness unless they were the single greatest shooter of all time (*cough* Curry *cough*) AND surrounded by an amazing supporting cast. If you're a small market team and you supermax a player like that you can kiss your championship aspirations goodbye as soon as the ink is dry.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
One problem is that players of his type - supermaxed, undersized, weak defender, great scorer - historically have never been able to lead teams to greatness unless they were the single greatest shooter of all time (*cough* Curry *cough*) AND surrounded by an amazing supporting cast. If you're a small market team and you supermax a player like that you can kiss your championship aspirations goodbye as soon as the ink is dry.
In the past Steph has had some great team mates, in fact Durant is an all time great but this year's Championship was pretty much all him. Sure Wiggins was great defensively and Klay and Jordan Poole stepped up at prime moments but these playoffs were mostly about Steph. One of the knocks on Curry was that he couldn't carry a team but this year proved if you stick some pretty good players around him (but far from an AMAZING supporting cast), he can get it done.

As an aside, I heard something recently (don't know how true it is) that said Kobe, Duncan and now Steph are the only players to win multiple Championships without another top 75 player on their roster.

EDIT: A couple of days ago, Bobby Marks said that it was his opinion that Steph Curry is the 2nd best player of all time. As much as I like Steph that is just batshit mental. I have him in the top 10 (9th), but 2nd - no way.

2nd EDIT: It appears KD back to the Dubs is picking up steam. From a personal POV I really hope it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
In the past Steph has had some great team mates, in fact Durant is an all time great but this year's Championship was pretty much all him. Sure Wiggins was great defensively and Klay and Jordan Poole stepped up at prime moments but these playoffs were mostly about Steph. One of the knocks on Curry was that he couldn't carry a team but this year proved if you stick some pretty good players around him (don't have to be superstars) he can get it done.

So yes the 2022 Dubs were a pretty darned good team but this was nowhere near an AMAZING supporting cast.
It's absolutely fair to call Curry's 2022 supporting cast "amazing". Klay can still be a borderline All-NBA level player on his day and should recover even more next season, Poole should have won MIP by a wide margin, Draymond is a perennial DPY candidate and a really good playmaker/facilitator on top, Wiggins was an All Star starter. Most other superstars in the league would give 5 years of their life to play in a situation like that: 1 clear Alpha and a cast of "role players" of the highest calibre around him that all work towards the teams strengths together.
Lets not pretend that Curry carried a bunch of scrubs, this team is fantastically well built and boasts good depth on top thanks to the Warriors' great drafting. To say it was "all him" and to call Klay, Green and to an extent Wiggins and Poole "pretty good" is selling them short to an unfair degree.
Look at it like this: How many Mavericks players not named Luka Doncic would have even gotten regular playoff minutes on the Warriors last season, nevermind starting? That's the difference between an amazing supporting cast and a mediocre supporting cast right there.

Edit: Since you mentioned Duncan. Same situation: An all time great consistently surrounded by an amazing supporting cast with a coach that got everone on the same page. Parker and Ginobili weren't superstars, but just about as good as 2nd and 3rd best nonsuperstar players on a team get. Same als Klay and Draymond. They weren't the Heatles, but I wouldn't call 2 franchise (in Bosh's case former franchise) players behind a generational monster a "supporting cast". They were Co-Stars.

2nd EDIT: It appears KD back to the Dubs is picking up steam. From a personal POV I really hope it doesn't happen.
Oh please god no, not again.

Last edited:

Stacks

In the past Steph has had some great team mates, in fact Durant is an all time great but this year's Championship was pretty much all him. Sure Wiggins was great defensively and Klay and Jordan Poole stepped up at prime moments but these playoffs were mostly about Steph. One of the knocks on Curry was that he couldn't carry a team but this year proved if you stick some pretty good players around him (but far from an AMAZING supporting cast), he can get it done.

As an aside, I heard something recently (don't know how true it is) that said Kobe, Duncan and now Steph are the only players to win multiple Championships without another top 75 player on their roster.

EDIT: A couple of days ago, Bobby Marks said that it was his opinion that Steph Curry is the 2nd best player of all time. As much as I like Steph that is just batshit mental. I have him in the top 10 (9th), but 2nd - no way.

He was the lead player in 2015 so he has done this before
It's absolutely fair to call Curry's 2022 supporting cast "amazing". Klay can still be a borderline All-NBA level player on his day and should recover even more next season, Poole should have won MIP by a wide margin, Draymond is a perennial DPY candidate and a really good playmaker/facilitator on top, Wiggins was an All Star starter. Most other superstars in the league would give 5 years of their life to play in a situation like that: 1 clear Alpha and a cast of "role players" of the highest calibre around him that all work towards the teams strengths together.
Lets not pretend that Curry carried a bunch of scrubs, this team is fantastically well built and boasts good depth on top thanks to the Warriors' great drafting. To say it was "all him" and to call Klay, Green and to an extent Wiggins and Poole "pretty good" is selling them short to an unfair degree.
Look at it like this: How many Mavericks players not named Luka Doncic would have even gotten regular playoff minutes on the Warriors last season, nevermind starting? That's the difference between an amazing supporting cast and a mediocre supporting cast right there.

Edit: Since you mentioned Duncan. Same situation: An all time great consistently surrounded by an amazing supporting cast with a coach that got everone on the same page. Parker and Ginobili weren't superstars, but just about as good as 2nd and 3rd best nonsuperstar players on a team get. Same als Klay and Draymond. They weren't the Heatles, but I wouldn't call 2 franchise (in Bosh's case former franchise) players behind a generational monster a "supporting cast". They were Co-Stars.

Klay was dog shit in this play offs and shot like a role player. every star player has teammates who can have a "day". Klay is past it and cannot defend like he used to. All NBA my ass. Wiggins was borderline All star and many saw it as a joke. Poole is a player for the future and great off the bench but how is he different to Herro in 2020? Draymond is a one trick pony. He was getting bitched in some of those games. didn't get a single vote for DPOY and I think he talks himself into contention sometimes. Wiggins was THE important defender

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State

I think we might have a different definition of "amazing". Kareem, Magic, Scott and Worthy were amazing. Bird, Parish and McHale were amazing. Jordan, Pippen and Rodman were amazing. Steph, KD, "prime" Klay and "prime" Draymond were amazing.

This 2022 Warriors team were pretty darned good, but "amazing" no.

Stacks

The finals MVP voters (although I disagreed with them) didn't seem to think so.
I think we might have a different definition of "amazing". Kareem, Magic, Scott and Worthy were amazing. Bird, Parish and McHale were amazing. Jordan, Pippen and Rodman were amazing. Steph, KD, "prime" Klay and "prime" Draymond were amazing.

I agree with you on both these posts. Some of the past legends had ALL TIME GREAT player teammates far greater than Steph's. you forgot Bob McAdoo for Magic. Russell played with plenty HoF as did Wilt. Steph clearly has some of the lowest ranked supporting cast since you know, he won 2 chips with ZERO top 75 players

Sarni

It seems that Mitchell to Knicks is gathering some pace. I reckon it would be good for both sides, Utah can get a ton of picks from NY and start the rebuild. The assets they got back for Gobert were amazing but won’t put them in position to compete and build a winning team around Mitchell now, other than trying to package them for a win-now player which would not be wise. Mitchell’s value is probably at its highest now for a team like the Knicks too

JPRouve

Scout
It seems that Mitchell to Knicks is gathering some pace. I reckon it would be good for both sides, Utah can get a ton of picks from NY and start the rebuild. The assets they got back for Gobert were amazing but won’t put them in position to compete and build a winning team around Mitchell now, other than trying to package them for a win-now player which would not be wise. Mitchell’s value is probably at its highest now for a team like the Knicks too
Probable late round picks and a bunch of bench players isn't amazing.:cool:

JPRouve

Scout
It's the Knicks, they'll be lottery picks :nono:
I was talking about the assets from the Gobert package. There is a lot of question marks on what the Jazz got, the best player is Vanderbilt who at this moment is ideally your 7th man, i like him a lot but he has no offense and isn't as good as defensive rebounder as he is as an offensive rebounder. After that Kessler and Bolmaro have question marks over their heads, they could be anything, while Beasley and Beverley aren't players that you build around.
Now the picks are what Utah wanted outside of McDaniels and if Gobert, Ant and KAT play at a normal level, the Wolves(Jazz) won't be picking sooner than 20.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Still for me the most exciting squad I was fortunate to watch play regularly, from the mid to late 80s. Also had Cooper, Thompson, and the team mascot and court jester in Rambis.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Wojnarowski reports that Ayton and the Pacers agreed on a 4 year 133 million contract, Suns have 48 hours to max.
Ouch. If they sign him, they can't trade him and are stuck with a player they don't want at that price point. If they don't, they'll lose the Nr.1 draft pick they tanked for for years for nothing. I like this second option, it would mean the Mavs aren't the only team that lost a really good player drafted in 2018 for feck all.

Sarni

I was talking about the assets from the Gobert package. There is a lot of question marks on what the Jazz got, the best player is Vanderbilt who at this moment is ideally your 7th man, i like him a lot but he has no offense and isn't as good as defensive rebounder as he is as an offensive rebounder. After that Kessler and Bolmaro have question marks over their heads, they could be anything, while Beasley and Beverley aren't players that you build around.
Now the picks are what Utah wanted outside of McDaniels and if Gobert, Ant and KAT play at a normal level, the Wolves(Jazz) won't be picking sooner than 20.
These picks go until 2029. Forget Gobert who will be retired, even Towns will be 34 by 2029. Also with how many picks have been offered, even if Wolves were building a dynasty here (they are not) there will be always be a year or two were things are off. I bet at least two of those picks will end up in lottery or close.

I am also not particularly convinced Towns and Gobert will work, especially in the playoffs (though it won’t matter for picks).

As for players assets, think they can get a late first from someone for Beasley and the others (Vanderbilt, Beverley) are worth decent second round picks. Kessler I know very little about. Bolmaro has no value.

Sarni

Shocking move to me. Where would this put Indiana in the East competition? Contenders? Finalists?
Not much better than they were last season. Probably a lottery team, still, but with a slightly better outlook for future. Ayton is not hugely better than Turner, though he is younger and will develop.

Phoenix will match, they have to. They will try to trade him for Durant at the deadline and KD will most likely sit out first half of season as a result.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Ah, my bad, that's a good point. Many of these big trades that include a lot of first round picks seem to miss that. New Orleans is getting pretty lucky that the Lakers picks are turning out to be hallways decent, but generally you're gonna get a lot of very late first round picks that don't often turn into NBA starters.

JPRouve

Scout
These picks go until 2029. Forget Gobert who will be retired, even Towns will be 34 by 2029. Also with how many picks have been offered, even if Wolves were building a dynasty here (they are not) there will be always be a year or two were things are off. I bet at least two of those picks will end up in lottery or close.

I am also not particularly convinced Towns and Gobert will work, especially in the playoffs (though it won’t matter for picks).

As for players assets, think they can get a late first from someone for Beasley and the others (Vanderbilt, Beverley) are worth decent second round picks. Kessler I know very little about. Bolmaro has no value.
I don't disagree with what you just wrote and to me it's not amazing. I mean two picks in the top 14 is not amazing to me. And it's not as if the Wolves won't have first round picks until 2029 or that they can't trade Towns next summer if it doesn't work. But then again Towns essentially played the 4 last season and it was his best season.