NBA 2022-2023

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Ah, my bad, that's a good point. Many of these big trades that include a lot of first round picks seem to miss that. New Orleans is getting pretty lucky that the Lakers picks are turning out to be hallways decent, but generally you're gonna get a lot of very late first round picks that don't often turn into NBA starters.
Lakers picks were always going to be good eventually, just did not expect them to start being good so quickly. Nets-Rockets trade is a perfect example of how quickly picks can turn into something very appealing, I bet Houston expected first good picks to start coming post 2024 but they may be getting some great ones soon.

There are some trades where you expect picks to be great but the team trading them doesn’t. Westbrook trade was like that, though Houston got so bad that they may not convey. Lakers 2027 and 2029 picks are amazing assets if you are getting them unprotected.

But Jrue Holiday trade, people bragged about picks but barring Giannis injury they were never going to be good.

sport2793

Suns matched within 10 minutes of receiving the offer sheet :lol::lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
Suns matched within 10 minutes of receiving the offer sheet :lol::lol:
They said they were going to match. No way they let him go for free. Suns also got close to what they offered him - 4 years deal instead of 5.

sport2793

They said they were going to match. No way they let him go for free. Suns also got close to what they offered him - 4 years deal instead of 5.
Ya it was funny moreso because they matched as soon as they could and that almost never happens.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I think we might have a different definition of "amazing". Kareem, Magic, Scott and Worthy were amazing. Bird, Parish and McHale were amazing. Jordan, Pippen and Rodman were amazing. Steph, KD, "prime" Klay and "prime" Draymond were amazing.

This 2022 Warriors team were pretty darned good, but "amazing" no.
Ewing, Houston, and Spreewell were amazing:(

feck the Spurs man, feck them:(

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Yes!

best news since that devastating loss. I’m an Ayton fanboy, and I really think he can be the best player on our team if he gets locked in. :lol:
Still think they're going to try to trade him. It's just going to be later rather than sooner.

Sarni

I know you are supposed to bash Harden for whatever he does but to get a $14m pay cut for next year just so they could sign Tucker, Melton and House is admirable and not something I would expect many top players do.

Stacks

I know you are supposed to bash Harden for whatever he does but to get a $14m pay cut for next year just so they could sign Tucker, Melton and House is admirable and not something I would expect many top players do.
I hate when aging players rinse their salary cap. I respect Kobe and Lebron but Duncan and Steph show what it can do for you when you have a bit of humility (or have weak ankles)

Enigma_87

You know who
Should’ve taken the money. He ain’t winning the chip anytime soon.

ZDwyr

Would've been great if he had done it 10 years ago though.

R'hllor

He didnt do it from bottom of his heart i bet, its calculated move, he knows or he was told what would happen if he took that option. With PR going how he is getting in peak condition with a good season on top, he will pull a last con and get those 15mil back and then some on top.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

KD moving to the Celtics after being swept by them would be so on point for him

R'hllor

I know its KD but why risking harmony if you dont pull it off, Nets also wants Smart etc.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I know its KD but why risking harmony if you dont pull it off, Nets also wants Smart etc.
Only explanation is that the rumblings that Brown wants to leave in two years are true. If so, now is his peak value.

That said, can't see the Celtics giving up both him and Smart - but Brown / White / Grant Williams + picks probably makes sense for both sides.

R'hllor

Only explanation is that the rumblings that Brown wants to leave in two years are true. If so, now is his peak value.

That said, can't see the Celtics giving up both him and Smart - but Brown / White / Grant Williams + picks probably makes sense for both sides.
Oh if thats the case then yea maybe they can pull it off but have a feeling, Nets seems just messing with all, they dont wanna trade him regardless.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State

Don't see why they wouldn't part with Smart if that is going to be a deal maker/breaker. They've just brought in Malcolm Brogden to run the point so they don't need Smart as much any more.

Sarni

The deal I liked the most was the one where Pacers got Ayton, Phoenix got Durant, Utah got Simmons (+ picks) and Nets got Turner, Bridges and Mitchell. That would have made Nets a sneaky fun team, would have given Pacers a better center, Utah a bunch of picks plus a project player and put Phoenix at a higher level. Obviously it cannot happen anymore and even at a time would have been a nightmare paperwork wise.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Don't see why they wouldn't part with Smart if that is going to be a deal maker/breaker. They've just brought in Malcolm Brogden to run the point so they don't need Smart as much any more.
Absolutely still need Smart. Brogdon is super injury prone and White is still a bit of an enigma on offense. As a Celtics' fan I'd much rather trade additional picks + White instead of Smart.

Brooklyn surely is posturing - they're undoubtedly the ones who leaked this story, and the reality is Jaylen Brown is far and away the best player they can reasonably expect back for KD.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Absolutely still need Smart. Brogdon is super injury prone and White is still a bit of an enigma on offense. As a Celtics' fan I'd much rather trade additional picks + White instead of Smart.

Brooklyn surely is posturing - they're undoubtedly the ones who leaked this story, and the reality is Jaylen Brown is far and away the best player they can reasonably expect back for KD.
I'd rather trade White instead of Smart as well if I was the Celtics, but if losing Smart meant I was getting KD I'd let him go.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'd rather trade White instead of Smart as well if I was the Celtics, but if losing Smart meant I was getting KD I'd let him go.
I'm not dead set against it as a concept personally, but I do think having Smart remain as the emotional leader of the team has outsized importance to the Celtics. If it's just Brown and Smart with no draft picks or rotation players then maybe I'd consider it - but I think that's unlikely.

Sarni

Call me crazy but I’d take Jaylen Brown straight up for Durant as long as I got any sign that he was willing to re-sign with my team in two years. He’s 25 and already awesome, Nets don’t really have their picks for a long time so a full on rebuild is not the best way to go anyway.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Fun fact: According to ESPN, there is no active NBA player on any current roster who has played against the Sacramento Kings in the playoffs.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Draymond Green has been great for the Dubs. Heart and soul of the team and all that....

BUT

....there is no way on God's green earth that the Warriors should give him a max extension (and it's not even my money).

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It would be insane to break a team entering their prime for a fading star, innit? The point is, Wyc & Co. just have to pay both luxury and repeater taxes (like the Dubs) in order to sustain the prime of this homegrown Cs instalment.

ZDwyr

A declining and significantly overpaid Draymond is a disaster waiting to happen.

Enigma_87

You know who
Great defensive player but triple single 32+ years old first teamer on 4-5 years contract is crazy, especially since Poole and Wiggins are set for renewals next year.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
What's the most anyone would offer Draymond on the open market? 20m a year?

Him wanting the max is nuts.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Call me crazy but I’d take Jaylen Brown straight up for Durant as long as I got any sign that he was willing to re-sign with my team in two years. He’s 25 and already awesome, Nets don’t really have their picks for a long time so a full on rebuild is not the best way to go anyway.
His injury record has been poor, you can’t have your first option missing 1/3 of the season.
Edit: I’m an idiot :lol:

Last edited:

massi83

His injury record has been poor, you can’t have your first option missing 1/3 of the season.
Seems like you are forgetting 2 covid seasons. He has never missed more than 21% of games in a season.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
You're crazy.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
You're crazy.
It’s not that out of reach.

KD is 34, injury hit and he wants out. Nobody’s going to give a superstar up for KD and it’s almost guaranteed that most draft picks won’t even end up half as good as Jaylen.

Nobody is going to bail them out like they bailed the Sixers. Or at least no club dumb enough would have anybody the Nets are interested in anyway.

SinNombre

Draymond Green has been great for the Dubs. Heart and soul of the team and all that....

BUT

....there is no way on God's green earth that the Warriors should give him a max extension (and it's not even my money).
It is a negotiation tactic.

Draymond not taking the player option next summer is great news for the Warriors.

Charlie Foley

BUT

Agreed.

the main concerns for me are
(A) what sort of damage “that” Draymond could do in the locker room as the season progresses

(B) what does Steph think? Does he see the trio as that-like a package deal? Do they factor in keeping Steph happy?

a couple of counter points to my own points
(A) Draymond playing with a chip on his shoulder to prove his worth to the rest of the league could be a good thing, maybe, for the dubs in the short term
(B) Steph is smart and not a cock. Can he and Klay talk sense into Draymond.

the problem for Draymond is he is infinitely more valuable to the Warriors than any other team.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Since when has any NBA team worried about whether a player was happy with his pay, much less whether a second player is happy about it?

Ridiculous nonsense, it's a ruthless league where pretty much no one is guaranteed to play on the same team next season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fun fact: According to ESPN, there is no active NBA player on any current roster who has played against the Sacramento Kings in the playoffs.
I love the Kings, in the darkest of dark nights they still manages to make the Wolves shine a little bit which is senseless because as everyone knows the Wolves are arguably the worst franchise in american sports history.