NBA 2022-2023

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Ayton isn’t on the rookie max extension.

He’s on the 4 year max that we matched from the Pacers.
Ah indeed, forgot about that debacle. So technically you could have traded him. I imagine he will be on the block in the Summer anyway as you'll be looking for a new point guard or a wing, as center position can be addressed much cheaper.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Ah indeed, forgot about that debacle. So technically you could have traded him. I imagine he will be on the block in the Summer anyway as you'll be looking for a new point guard or a wing, as center position can be addressed much cheaper.
If we wanted to trade him, he’ll be on the Nets or dealt in a 3 team trade.

It’ll be fecked on a monumental level if we gave up Ayton, Mikal, Cam and our future for a KD package.

Stacks

NBA is nuts sometimes, holy shit. So thats what, MB,CJ,JC and picks for KD? What a shift not gonna lie, Suns healthy before this were contenders now they are cemented imo, KD, CP, Booker and Ayden looks heavy on paper. Undisputed will be unbearable topic wise, every day it will be Suns vs LA shit.+

I blame Ja for this, they even more fine now.
Yeah. NBA media was boring already but they desperate for the prospect of superteams. LA was already been over covered

stepic

i guess it means nets didn't want him?

Sarni

If we wanted to trade him, he’ll be on the Nets or dealt in a 3 team trade.

It’ll be fecked on a monumental level if we gave up Ayton, Mikal, Cam and our future for a KD package.
I reckon Nets may have preferred Cam and Bridges. I'd definitely prefer to keep one of them instead of Ayton if I were Suns too.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I reckon Nets may have preferred Cam and Bridges. I'd definitely prefer to keep one of them instead of Ayton if I were Suns too.
We’re not getting past Denver without Ayton. He’s one of the few guys that can slow Jokic down and we’ll need that because I don’t trust CP3/Booker/KD to stay healthy all playoffs.

Sarni

Turns out Lakers 2027 pick that goes to Utah is 1-4 protected and Utah will not receive anything if it lands in the top 4 of the draft so once LeBron leaves Lakers could simply decide to tank that year and have a good chance of keeping the pick. So essentially they may have traded three players for nothing and Lakers may have just filled their roster without sacrificing anything. I really don’t get the Jazz here.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Could Ayton even have been included in the trade given the Nets already have Simmons? Aren't you only allowed one of those guys who signs an early max?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Turns out Lakers 2027 pick that goes to Utah is 1-4 protected and Utah will not receive anything if it lands in the top 4 of the draft so once LeBron leaves Lakers could simply decide to tank that year and have a good chance of keeping the pick. So essentially they may have traded three players for nothing and Lakers may have just filled their roster without sacrificing anything. I really don’t get the Jazz here.
Well, they're only something like 2 games out from being top 6 in lottery odds, which gives them something like a 30% chance to get a top 4 pick in a potentially historic draft this year.

Definitely feels like they could have gotten more, I agree - but they might just flip that pick at some point anyway.

Sarni

Well, they're only something like 2 games out from being top 6 in lottery odds, which gives them something like a 30% chance to get a top 4 pick in a potentially historic draft this year.

Definitely feels like they could have gotten more, I agree - but they might just flip that pick at some point anyway.
Yeah I think main reason for Jazz to trade those players was their desire to get worse and tank this year. Their team this year has been a pleasant story but ultimately they lack a true building block for the future and would probably prefer to acquire one sooner rather than later, and this draft has two players you could easily see being that.

They do have an amazing number of future picks anyway… 3 first round picks this year, then 2 coming from Wolves and Cavs each year in 2025, 2027 and 2029, all unprotected… and in 2024, 2026 and 2028 they can swap with any of them. They won’t even be able to fit all these players into their team. Their haul is even more crazy than the one Thunder and Pelicans once had.

I love those long term pick commitments, hope we get one when we trade Dame eventually though knowing us we will move him for next to nothing.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I think main reason for Jazz to trade those players was their desire to get worse and tank this year. Their team this year has been a pleasant story but ultimately they lack a true building block for the future and would probably prefer to acquire one sooner rather than later, and this draft has two players you could easily see being that.

They do have an amazing number of future picks anyway… 3 first round picks this year, then 2 coming from Wolves and Cavs each year in 2025, 2027 and 2029, all unprotected… and in 2024, 2026 and 2028 they can swap with any of them. They won’t even be able to fit all these players into their team. Their haul is even more crazy than the one Thunder and Pelicans once had.

I love those long term pick commitments, hope we get one when we trade Dame eventually though knowing us we will move him for next to nothing.
Yeah it's pretty staggering when you tot it all up. You'd have to think they'll cash in at some point - but agree that they need to establish more of a foundation before they start outbidding everyone.

Sarni

Crowder to Bucks for five second round picks.

Thomas Bryant to Nuggets for three second round picks. Exactly what Nuggets needed.

Last edited:

Sarni

Poeltl trade is one of the worst I’ve ever seen. Raptors won’t compete this year anyway and his contract expires in June. He’s not particularly great and now Raptors have ensured that they cannot trade any of their picks until 2027, and may need to hand over a pretty good pick to Spurs next year if they don’t improve dramatically compared to this year. On top of that they even gave them another 2 or 3 second rounders. Baffling from Masai.

Sarni

We got Thybulle for some second round picks and Svi whose career as a Blazer was short lived but quite magnificent. We will never forget you Svi Mikhayluk.

Sarni

Wiseman has been traded for Seddiq Bey. Great for Warriors, dumb from Pistons unless there are other assets involved.

EDIT: Bey has been routed to Atlanta. It is a larger deal. Warriors receive five second round picks.

Hyland to Clippers for a couple of second rounders.

Bazley to Suns for Saric and a second round pick.

RORY65

Detroit have now got 2 disastrous number 2 picks as part of their front court options. Strange move for the Warriors to just clear salary unless they have something bigger lined up with those 2nd round picks.

Sarni

Beverley traded to Magic for Mo Bamba. Lakers have been killing it.

Sarni

@Sarni this is the flip the Grizzlies need to do:

Dillon, another role player, and a 2nd round pick to the Nets for Mikal Bridges
I don’t think Nets would entertain trading Bridges at all but if they were you are talking two unprotected first round picks at least, and that’s probably short.

Literally everyone will want Bridges if he’s available. He’s like rich man’s OG Anunoby.

Sarni

I wonder where all these second picks are coming from. Are teams just repeatedly trading the same picks between each other? It seems about 400 of them have been traded today. 5 in Crowder deal, 5 in Wiseman deal, 4 in Richardson deal, 2 in Hyland, Bryant and Bamba deals etc.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don’t think Nets would entertain trading Bridges at all but if they were you are talking two unprotected first round picks at least, and that’s probably short.

Literally everyone will want Bridges if he’s available. He’s like rich man’s OG Anunoby.
With him that's our core locked in for a few years. We've done well holding our chips till now, time to place on the table.

But yeah good point, Nets would want more.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

My guess would be that you would have to attach a talented player on a rookie contract with these picks?

Sarni

With him that's our core locked in for a few years. We've done well holding our chips till now, time to place on the table.

But yeah good point, Nets would want more.
OG or Bridges would be excellent for you. I reckon OG is far more gettable and I’m frankly puzzled why Raptors haven’t traded him yet. With Poeltl on board he won’t even start for them anymore. It may be the case of Masai trying to overplay his hand once more.

Sarni

My guess would be that you would have to attach a talented player on a rookie contract with these picks?
I think Bridges value is at least one talented player + two unprotected first round picks, but most likely 1 + 3. If you don’t attach players of value it has to be at least three picks, probably more. While I don’t think he’s a player you can build around as your focal point, his set of skills makes it extremely easy to fit him on virtually any team.

The issue with Grizzlies picks is they won’t be higher than 20 for a long time. Probably not until very late in this decade.

Sarni

Warriors got GP2 back for those five second round picks. So in a way Warriors have traded Wiseman for GP2.

From Blazers perspective I don’t get why we did not just take Bey and let him go to Atlanta. Payton is replaced by Thybulle so it’s more or less fine. We have essentially traded GP2, Hart for Reddish, Thybulle, a mid first this year and 5 second rounders.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think Bridges value is at least one talented player + two unprotected first round picks, but most likely 1 + 3. If you don’t attach players of value it has to be at least three picks, probably more. While I don’t think he’s a player you can build around as your focal point, his set of skills makes it extremely easy to fit him on virtually any team.

The issue with Grizzlies picks is they won’t be higher than 20 for a long time. Probably not until very late in this decade.
Don't necessarily disagree with you in a normal market - but when the Raptors are asking for 3 firsts for OG, it's tough to envision the Nets accepting the same for a player who is significantly better.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Expiring contract would work too right?
I don't really see what they would do with an expiring contract. In 2023 there isn't really a FA that they would target, in 2024 there are a couple like Kawhi and maybe Middleton but are any of these realistic targets? It could open some trades but nothing that they can't do with the contracts they currently possess. To me it looks like a team that needs players more than cap space or even picks.

Edit: Beverley could be on his way to Minnesota, I don't really know why but...

Sarni

Don't necessarily disagree with you in a normal market - but when the Raptors are asking for 3 firsts for OG, it's tough to envision the Nets accepting the same for a player who is significantly better.
Raptors can ask for whatever they like but they aren’t getting that. I have my doubts whether Masai hasn’t gone seriously out of touch when he is trading a first and two seconds for Poeltl.

Bridges value should be somewhat lower than Mitchell who went for two promising players and three picks (plus two swaps).

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I say this every season but the trade deadline being so late is just so bizarre. Superstars getting traded on deadline day this season has made it even worse.

Sarni

I don’t get why Portland thought it was good idea to pay GP2 for five months to rehab here after his injury and then let him go for virtually nothing. Not sure how much value those second rounders have. Wish we took Bey.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Raptors can ask for whatever they like but they aren’t getting that. I have my doubts whether Masai hasn’t gone seriously out of touch when he is trading a first and two seconds for Poeltl.

Bridges value should be somewhat lower than Mitchell who went for two promising players and three picks (plus two swaps).
True - and that's probably why OG didn't get traded ultimately.

I would maybe disagree about Bridges' value from a trade standpoint - Mitchell is obviously far better in a vacuum but is definitely a harder fit for team-building. Having a wider range of suitors who could plug and play Bridges would presumably drive up the price. But yeah, maybe I'm overthinking things.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t get why Portland thought it was good idea to pay GP2 for five months to rehab here after his injury and then let him go for virtually nothing. Not sure how much value those second rounders have. Wish we took Bey.
Yeah that's completely bizarre. Feels like the Blazers have been totally content to stay in no-man's land for a while.

sport2793

I live in Portland, I can tell you that Blazers fans really thought they had a great shot to land KD. I'm dead serious

Sarni

True - and that's probably why OG didn't get traded ultimately.

I would maybe disagree about Bridges' value from a trade standpoint - Mitchell is obviously far better in a vacuum but is definitely a harder fit for team-building. Having a wider range of suitors who could plug and play Bridges would presumably drive up the price. But yeah, maybe I'm overthinking things.
I agree Bridges is an easier fit but you don’t pay nearly as much for a player that you can’t exactly build around as your centerpiece. In a way you may get more picks for him though because you’d presumably be getting them from a team that already has established core (eg Pelicans, Grizzlies) and are likely to be good for the foreseeable future and hence their picks are of lesser value as individual assets.

Last edited:

Sarni

I live in Portland, I can tell you that Blazers fans really thought they had a great shot to land KD. I'm dead serious
Yeah I was beginning to buy into that as well. In isolation a deal centered around Simons, Sharpe and all our picks could be of quite similar value to what Nets got from Suns but then again Durant would probably not want to play for Blazers anyway.

I think we are going for the tank this year again with Simons and Sharpe about to become our starting frontcourt many times.

Well we might get a no. 1 pick now and all will be forgotten as we indulge in Wembenyama’s wizardry next year. Just kidding, our fans will just want to trade him for DeRozan or LaVine anyway so we can ‘win now’.

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I agree Bridges is an easier fit but you don’t pay nearly as much for a player that you can’t exactly build around as your centerpiece. In a way you may get more picks for him though because you’d presumably be getting them from a team that already has established core (eg Pelicans, Grizzlies) and are likely to be good for the foreseeable future and hence their picks are of lesser value as individual assets.
True - I just meant that the number of teams out there who could both cover for someone like Mitchell defensively & feasibly integrate him is smaller than those who could fit in Bridges - and therefore the latter is more likely to be a seller's market.

sport2793

Yeah I was beginning to buy into that as well. In isolation a deal centered around Simons, Sharpe and all our picks could be of quite similar value to what Nets got from Suns but then again Durant would probably not want to play for Blazers anyway.

I think we are going for the tank this year again with Simons and Sharpe about to become our starting frontcourt many times.

Well we might get a no. 1 pick now and all will be forgotten as we indulge in Wembenyama’s wizardry next year. Just kidding, our fans will just want to trade him for DeRozan or LaVine anyway so we can ‘win now’.
Ya I think there are definitely better packages out there than what the Nets got ultimately. If KD is not fully bought in though its a big risk to give up what it would require.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
More animated than expected, right? And the buyout market promising to be tasty as well!