NBA 2023-2024

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Tried to throw another one away, but held on. That's 4 road wins in a row.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
15-14 with Doc.

32-14 without him.

Yep, I'd definitely hire that man.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
But Griffin gave bad vibes so he had to go….
So hire the Beach Boys. They give "Good Vibrations." ;) :)

Great win tonight. If we play hard, and things fall into place, I can definitely see us making a run....

....at the play in. :(

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
23 pts/15 rbds/8 assists/9 blks for Wemby. The quadruple double is nearly achieved
He's a monster allright. Still, a baby monster. The current monster king is the one who dropped 42/16/6 on him

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I wonder how many rookies or second year players have impacted winning basketball as much as Wemby? There is obviously Lebron James, Bird and MJ, I seem to remember that Zion had that kind of impact. All these players were if I'm not mistaken efficient players on the offensive end when Wemby isn't which is scary because he does have the fundamentals to be extremely efficient, he could easily lean toward a Tim Duncan style and be unplayable. It's a bit crazy that such a young player has the footwork and defensive acumen of hall of fame defensive players while also having the potential to be an elite secondary ball handler while being an actual big.

Skåre Willoch

Hopefully the Spurs are able to aquire a solid point guard in the offseason. I can't wait for Wemby to be in a team properly built around him!

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I wonder how many rookies or second year players have impacted winning basketball as much as Wemby? There is obviously Lebron James, Bird and MJ, I seem to remember that Zion had that kind of impact. All these players were if I'm not mistaken efficient players on the offensive end when Wemby isn't which is scary because he does have the fundamentals to be extremely efficient, he could easily lean toward a Tim Duncan style and be unplayable. It's a bit crazy that such a young player has the footwork and defensive acumen of hall of fame defensive players while also having the potential to be an elite secondary ball handler while being an actual big.
David Robinson

88-89 Spurs - 21 wins
89-90 Spurs - 56 wins - division winners

It was the biggest turnaround in league history at the time.

JPRouve

Scout
David Robinson

88-89 Spurs - 21 wins

I forgot to mention him. He is also the last rookie with a quadruple double or is it Duncan?

Wemby is essentially following the steps of the absolute best players ever.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
David Robinson

88-89 Spurs - 21 wins

Very interesting numbers, because while Wemby individually at times has looked phenomenal, it appears he's had very little impact on actually winning games.

22-23 Spurs - 22 wins
23-24 Spurs - 18 wins (with 6 games to go)

JPRouve

Scout
Very interesting numbers, because while Wemby individually at times has looked phenomenal, it appears he's had very little impact on actually winning games.

22-23 Spurs - 22 wins
23-24 Spurs - 18 wins (with 6 games to go)
That's because the team around him is not good especially defensively, with him they have Drtg of 107 and without him it's the high 120s or worse, when you combine that with his minutes restriction the Spurs are designed to not win games since they don't play their winning players, iirc the same applies to Tre Jones on offense they are in the high 120s with him and in the low 100s without him and he was/is also on a minute restriction for no obvious reason.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
That's because the team around him is not good especially defensively, with him they have Drtg of 107 and without him it's the high 120s or worse, when you combine that with his minutes restriction the Spurs are designed to not win games since they don't play their winning players, iirc the same applies to Tre Jones on offense they are in the high 120s with him and in the low 100s without him and he was/is also on a minute restriction for no obvious reason.
I see all that and to be honest I'm almost playing Devil's Advocate here. However, their winning % when he plays is 0 24, and 0.22 when he doesn't. They also score 111 ppg when he plays and 119 when he doesn't. The minutes restriction is 29 minutes, so it's not like he doesn't get to play. Compare that with Steph who also seems to be on somewhat of a minutes restriction this year. The Dubs have a 0 58 winning percentage when he plays and 0.16 when he doesn't. They also score 109 ppg when he's out and 119 ppg when he plays.

JPRouve

Scout
I see all that and to be honest I'm almost playing Devil's Advocate here. However, their winning % when he plays is 0 23, and 0.22 when he doesn't. They also score 111 ppg when he plays and 119 when he doesn't. The minutes restriction is 29 minutes, so it's not like he doesn't get to play. Compare that with Steph who also seems to be on somewhat of a minutes restriction this year. The Dubs have a 0 58 winning percentage when he plays and 0.16 when he doesn't. They also score 109 ppg when he's out and 119 ppg when he plays.
Steph is a better player, he is probably a top 5 player currently. And the Warriors are also absolutely terrible outside of him.

Also for a long time the minutes without Wemby were the minutes with an actual PG on the floor especially Tre Jones, that's partially why I mentioned him.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
The Bucks having a look over their shoulder.. only to notice the Heat at 7th spot atm. Pretty sure they wouldn't like that match up in the 1st round.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Steph is a better player, he is probably a top 5 player currently. And the Warriors are also absolutely terrible outside of him.

Also for a long time the minutes without Wemby were the minutes with an actual PG on the floor especially Tre Jones, that's partially why I mentioned him.
The Dubs are better with Steph than without him, that's self apparent. The reason why I mentioned him though was as a comparison to show the difference one player can make.

Don't get me wrong here, I think Wemby will be absolutely fantastic one day but for the moment I think a lot of folks are kind of putting the cart before the horse. He is 20 years old and a shoe in for ROY, but I think because he has had some "wow" moments, the pressure is soon going to begin building as winning starts to actually become important

JPRouve

Scout
The Dubs are better with Steph than without him, that's self apparent. The reason why I mentioned him though was as a comparison to show the difference one player can make.

Don't get me wrong here, I think Wemby will be absolutely fantastic one day but for the moment I think a lot of folks are kind of putting the cart before the horse. He is 20 years old and a shoe in for ROY, but I think because he has had some "wow" moments, the pressure is soon going to begin building as winning starts to actually become important
I see what you are trying to do but it's just wrong. Not only because I compared him to other rookies and not to one of the best current player. But also because you can praise someone without it being a case of putting a cart before the horse, you can sometimes just state the cart is quite nice without it meaning that it's the nicest cart of all time.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I see what you are trying to do but it's just wrong. Not only because I compared him to other rookies and not to one of the best current player. But also because you can praise someone without it being a case of putting a cart before the horse, you can sometimes just state the cart is quite nice without it meaning that it's the nicest cart of all time.
In all honesty, my posts were very little to do with anything you've said. I actually agree with most of it. As I said, for the most part I was just really playing Devil's Advocate. The only reason why I posted at all was because of the post from @MrMarcello pointing out David Robinson's impact on winning for the Spurs back in the late 80s. It just made me think that Wemby has not had that same kind of impact. I think he will one day, but if it doesn't start to happen soon, the pressure is going to start building pretty fast.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tried to throw another one away, but held on. That's 4 road wins in a row.
You’re 5-0 ever since we got to within 1 game of you. We will likely end up with 40+ wins this season. It’s crazy that this will end up not being good enough for even the 10th seed.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
You’re 5-0 ever since we got to within 1 game of you. We will likely end up with 40+ wins this season. It’s crazy that this will end up not being good enough for even the 10th seed.
It wouldnt surprise me to see the Dubs go 5-3 over the last eight games. That would give them 46 wins which would have been good enough for a 4 seed last year.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I know it's not NBA, but anyone seen the story about the 2 Irish teams?

Ref called foul after the buzzer, team wins. Other team appeals that ref shouldn't call foul after buzzer. Decision is to make the teams play an extra 0.3 seconds at a later date, so expecting teams to meet up and play those 0.3 seconds, wtf can you do in those 0.3 seconds? Could you even get a shot off? :lol:

The team who appealed have refused anyway as they don't see the point and that wasn't why the appealed. Think they were potentially going for the draw then play OT at a later date or full rematch.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It wouldnt surprise me to see the Dubs go 5-3 over the last eight games. That would give them 46 wins which would have been good enough for a 4 seed last year.
If you win tomorrow, that's basically RIP Rockets for this season, so you could probably afford to rest your starters in some of the remaining games.

It's a little annoying, not gonna lie, that the year we stop tanking is the year the west decides to have 11 teams above .500.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Wemby is incredible, already the best defensive player in the league honestly, and the Spurs have spent all season going out of their way to prevent him from making them win games :lol:

We'll see how it is next year when they'll probably be chasing the playoffs instead of the lottery

He might be historic in the way of Kareem, MJ and LeBron, but we already knew that

MrMarcello

Irt my post above on Robinson, he wasn't the sole reason for the sudden improvement but he was the primary factor. They had made some key acquisitions heading into the 89-90 season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989–90_San_Antonio_Spurs_season

Robinson's first year after a two-year US Navy stint.
Sean Elliott selected third overall that year.
Acquired Terry Cummings, a very good scoring PF.
Acquired Maurice Cheeks, a very good PG, and traded him mid-season for Rod Strickland, a young PG with great potential (traded in 92 due to contract demands).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Saw this off twitter, and it's just perfect

Jokics vs Wemby is Pacific Rim basketball :D

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
15-14 with Doc.

32-14 without him.

Yep, I'd definitely hire that man.
Now it's 15-15. The Grizzlies and Wizards are both trying to tank and the Bucks still can't beat them. :D:confused::houllier:

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Another win. Why couldnt we have done this earlier in the season?

Anyway 2 more wins and we've definitely secured a spot in....

....the play in.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
It looks like Bronny James is going to declare for the 2024 draft according to Shams. For USC as a freshman, he averaged 4.8 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.1 assists on 36.6% shooting. :houllier:

I'm surprised he kept his scholarship with those numbers, never mind trying to get into the NBA.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It looks like Bronny James is going to declare for the 2024 draft according to Shams. For USC as a freshman, he averaged 4.8 points, 2.8 rebounds and 2.1 assists on 36.6% shooting. :houllier:

I'm surprised he kept his scholarship with those numbers, never mind trying to get into the NBA.
He also entered the transfer portal.

USC was a shitshow this year, so I would not hold those numbers up as an indication of his talent level. Now, I'm not saying he is NBA ready, or ever will be, but he was a HS All American for more reasons than just his last name.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
He also entered the transfer portal.

USC was a shitshow this year, so I would not hold those numbers up as an indication of his talent level. Now, I'm not saying he is NBA ready, or ever will be, but he was a HS All American for more reasons than just his last name.
4.8 ppg on 36.6% shooting does not exactly scream NBA ready though. "Shitshow" or not.

Time will tell, I suppose.

MrMarcello

And he'd probably get drafted solely because of the desire to potentially lure his dad in the next year or two, and possibly the Lakers would take a flier on him in round two. Utter nonsense if so. He can still secure millions in NIL money while in college, more so than second round money because he's nowhere near a first round talent currently but see my initial sentence. I wonder if he went to Europe for 2-3 seasons if that would be better for his development and realistic NBA hopes.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
And he'd probably get drafted solely because of the desire to potentially lure his dad in the next year or two, and possibly the Lakers would take a flier on him in round two. Utter nonsense if so. He can still secure millions in NIL money while in college, more so than second round money because he's nowhere near a first round talent currently but see my initial sentence. I wonder if he went to Europe for 2-3 seasons if that would be better for his development and realistic NBA hopes.
He needs to stay in college for another year or two. They keep talking about this dream Bron has for them to play together but surely not at the expense of the kid’s development? He doesn’t look anywhere near ready for the NBA.

Last edited: