NBC - Possibly one of the best coverages of football?

liamp

Until this season every single game was live in Iceland but we couldn't do it anymore because other countries in Europe got annoyed with the deal. The US gets a pass because they're a different continent.

I don't watch American coverage obviously but I was in Chicago for the United v City league cup match and I hated that coverage. Half of the game was commentating, the other half was the commentator saying what was coming up in sports for the next week. Watching a game live, hearing what's happening in sports on the same channel 5 days from now...
The US gets a pass because NBC paid a pretty substantial amount of money to retain the ability to show all games live.

NBC doesn't carry the league cup matches. Actually have no idea who carries the league cup here in the states, but NBC only does the Premier League.
Fox Sports retained all the cups, including CL.

Loublaze

ATLien
The US gets a pass because NBC paid a pretty substantial amount of money to retain the ability to show all games live.

Fox Sports retained all the cups, including CL.
Bien sports do the league cup Fox the FA cup

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
My only gripe with NBCSN is Kyle Martino can get a bit annoying at times. Other than that it's great.
Think he's better than Robbie Earle.

Gasolin

NBC doesn't carry the league cup matches. Actually have no idea who carries the league cup here in the states, but NBC only does the Premier League.
I think it was Fox, but I can't remember. Or maybe beIN?

Dash247

I live in US and watch most of my games on NBC. They are pretty good. I watch non EPL games on other network and can't get over how awful the coverage is. Thanks NBC.

Omar Little

I was about to ask if this is possible, guess it is! What does it cost?
On its own, about £20 for 6 months guaranteed access. (You will definitely get more than that, it's a shared account.) With a VPN, about £40-£45. (The VPN lasts a year. I went for PIA) You can watch every PL game and full match replays via the website or the kodi add-on.

Omar Little

Can you explain to me how you did this?
Just search for NBC sports accounts on reddit. (Or Google)They basically just give you a login and password.

You can also buy Comcast, xfinity or HBO go accounts.

surf

They are fine for the Premier League because they use English commentators and pundits.
There is something jarring when you watch footie with English teams and American commentators, like in the Champions and Europa leagues on other channels.
Some channels even fake it by doing football commentaries from the studio watching it on TV.

PieCrust

I don't really care for their analysts back in the studio, they are really bad. I mute all the studio stuff anyway, I don't need their commentary or lineups; I've already gotten all the information I need from sources I prefer.

However the I find the match announcers to be quite good. And in the end, I'm just glad that an American company has the rights to the EPL. Fox sports was also very good when they had it a couple of years ago before NBC won the bid. I preferred Fox for whatever it's worth.

Their coverage of American sports, like the NFL, is just industry standard, not good not bad. However Chris Collingsworth can burn in a never ending fire of pain. He's double blessed with not only being a big headed moron, but having the most annoying voice I've ever heard in my life.

They are fine for the Premier League because they use English commentators and pundits.
There is something jarring when you watch footie with English teams and American commentators, like in the Champions and Europa leagues on other channels.
Some channels even fake it by doing football commentaries from the studio watching it on TV.
I don't agree with this in general, but can make an exception when you're talking about a loud mouth idiot like Alexi Lalas. Don't know why that cnut is ever shown on TV or asked for his "expert" opinion.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
You need to have the super special sports package to watch the league cup games. Unless you are a big sports fan is general, it doesn't seem worth it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
During the 2011/12 PL season, the first NBC 'saturation' year, I found myself consulting around the US, each gig a month long, mostly in major cities. Before that year, I was living in a part of FL which has dedicated PL team pubs, so I was able to catch every United match in every competition; I was pissed in July 2011 when my work was going to have me traveling the nation for the next 12 months, pissed that my ease of watching United was about to go kaput.
The next twelve months were perhaps the most fun I have ever had watching a United PL season. From the Charity Shield to that insane last day, I was able to go to a new pub every weekend all over the United States, watch the start up of dozens of 'United' pubs all around the US, & see how amazing this NBC contract to show every EPL match turned out to be. I never missed a match, a couple of months late in the season I was back in cities I had worked in earlier in the season (it was phenomenal to see how some of the first 'United' pubs I went to in September in Dallas & DC in October had grown up w/ the original five or six fans still there, but having dozens & dozens of more fans make up the core). As luck would have it, my consulting gigs ended right before that last weekend & I was able to watch that final day in my hometown w/ all my mates w/ whom I grew up playing / still played football, in a solid United pub w/ the place losing its mind as we were only seconds away from winning the league for the 20th. time. We all know the result...
But, I remember sitting in that pub, watching every final day match @ the same time on every TV in the place, gutted at the result, but remember thinking that NBC sure put on one hell of a year of programming w/ all the matches, the pregame, MOTDs, etc., NBC could not have dreamt up a better finish to the season to ensure that Americans were, @ the very least, interested in the EPL & that interest would carry over to the next season, & that the PL finally had a consistent TV foothold in the states. I even remember thinking that I was actually okay w/ the way that last day turned out if it meant that the Premier League was going to remain on TV in a professional manner every season & every weekend, any match could be viewed. It felt like shit thinking that @ the time, but, on the whole of it, as a Yank I could not be happier w/ what NBCSN has done to showcase English football in the States. Bravo to them. Long may it continue.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's not just because of the money. Sky paid more than NBC yet show way less games.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
It's not just because of the money. Sky paid more than NBC yet show way less games.
That's comparing two different markets. Obviously, the competition for Premier League rights will be more competitive in the UK versus the US. More competition = higher prices. In the same way, if Sky bought NFL rights for the UK, they would be paying substantially less than NBC is in the US for the same product.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
That's comparing two different markets. Obviously, the competition for Premier League rights will be more competitive in the UK versus the US. More competition = higher prices. In the same way, if Sky bought NFL rights for the UK, they would be paying substantially less than NBC is in the US for the same product.
Which is what I said originally.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It is not just the US though, most countries outside Europe get full pl coverage for a minimal price. In India for example now we have two HD channels which are specific for PL and so if you have an HD connection you can watch every big game on these two channels. At the 3pm slot when there are more than 2 games if more than two big teams are playing then we get additional games on other channels. Also there is an official streaming service which shows all games at about 3 Dollars a month.

Gjx

I opt for NBC coverage over Sky/BT if I'm streaming, mainly as it's easier to get a reliable HD source.

The coverage is good but the coms could be better. Sounds like Higgingbottom is still cutting his teeth a bit, often stopping mid sentence or scratching around for words and I could never stand Le Saux. Lee Dixon is surprisingly tolerable, more so than when he's on ITV. He offers good tactible insight and has a sarcastic, slightly tongue in cheek approach at times which I like.

Norris

NBCSN is excellent. I've learned to appreciate them over time. I love their commentary and their stream never lags or stutters (Though that is more to do with the host). Second only to Sky in terms of analysis.

Big Andy

Bloke
If I ever move to Canada, and have poor credit history or I was recently bankrupt, I now know where to go for a car loan....

Carolina Red

Staff
Oh, and let's not forget the wonderfully hilarious weekly Men in Blazers show and the specials they've been doing the last couple of seasons. They did a great one last year highlighting Liecester City and now are just finishing up "Behind the Badge: Watford".

Gibb11

Yeah its great coverage, coming from 'merica soccer channel as a Englishman its not what you would initally expect! No offense intended.

Le saux and Dixon offer great insight, spot on, refreshing, so so so much better than BT Sport or ITV.

Also iv seen streams where I get Martin Tyler and Stuart Robson as co-commentator (imo he's very good aswell, wide range of knowledge for European football) but Im not sure what feed this is from?

JustinC00

Ya that's the one thing I hate about FOX Sports. They have fecking Alexi Lalas commentating on matches.

GiddyUp

Yeah, because nobody gives a toss about footie there.
It's fecking huge over here buddy. There is always an intelligent conversation to be heard and a refreshing one without the tribalism. Probably one of the best reasons I like living over here at the moment, a feast of football.

PieCrust

Ya that's the one thing I hate about FOX Sports. They have fecking Alexi Lalas commentating on matches.
Kind of switching gears over to the ESPN commentators, but I find Alejandro Moreno to be awful as well. I can't get over his annoying lisp and his refusal to say Spanish words in regular English; he always has to pronounce words like he's talking to a Mexican / Spanish speaking audience. I know technically he's correct, but I find it insufferable.

Taylor Twellman is also terrible. Just comes off as a self-righteous prick all the time. Same with Eric Wynalda.

I do like Ian Darke over there though.

Basa1987

During the 2011/12 PL season, the first NBC 'saturation' year, I found myself consulting around the US, each gig a month long, mostly in major cities. Before that year, I was living in a part of FL which has dedicated PL team pubs, so I was able to catch every United match in every competition; I was pissed in July 2011 when my work was going to have me traveling the nation for the next 12 months, pissed that my ease of watching United was about to go kaput.
The next twelve months were perhaps the most fun I have ever had watching a United PL season. From the Charity Shield to that insane last day, I was able to go to a new pub every weekend all over the United States, watch the start up of dozens of 'United' pubs all around the US, & see how amazing this NBC contract to show every EPL match turned out to be. I never missed a match, a couple of months late in the season I was back in cities I had worked in earlier in the season (it was phenomenal to see how some of the first 'United' pubs I went to in September in Dallas & DC in October had grown up w/ the original five or six fans still there, but having dozens & dozens of more fans make up the core). As luck would have it, my consulting gigs ended right before that last weekend & I was able to watch that final day in my hometown w/ all my mates w/ whom I grew up playing / still played football, in a solid United pub w/ the place losing its mind as we were only seconds away from winning the league for the 20th. time. We all know the result...
But, I remember sitting in that pub, watching every final day match @ the same time on every TV in the place, gutted at the result, but remember thinking that NBC sure put on one hell of a year of programming w/ all the matches, the pregame, MOTDs, etc., NBC could not have dreamt up a better finish to the season to ensure that Americans were, @ the very least, interested in the EPL & that interest would carry over to the next season, & that the PL finally had a consistent TV foothold in the states. I even remember thinking that I was actually okay w/ the way that last day turned out if it meant that the Premier League was going to remain on TV in a professional manner every season & every weekend, any match could be viewed. It felt like shit thinking that @ the time, but, on the whole of it, as a Yank I could not be happier w/ what NBCSN has done to showcase English football in the States. Bravo to them. Long may it continue.
Not to be too nitpicky, but I think the NBC contract started from the 2013-14 season.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
NBC has been fantastic for this ex pat. I can watch every single game on tv or online. Without exception. They hired their own commentators but did well, bringing aboard Arlo White, Le Saux, Dixon amongst others.

The analysis panel is ok, with Mustoe and Earle; but is definitely a weak point. And Kyle Martino is just shit.

Given how dreadful it's been out here to watch football for the last 15 years, NBC is a revelation.

liamp

It's fecking huge over here buddy. There is always an intelligent conversation to be heard and a refreshing one without the tribalism. Probably one of the best reasons I like living over here at the moment, a feast of football.
This is an excellent point and I couldn't agree more. The absence of a tribal mentality for the majority of football followers here, even among expats, is really refreshing. When I go back to England, it just feels like everything devolves into parroting of a media narrative or some form of top bantz.

TheSweeper

Definitely - I only watch American commentary. Everything is so well crafted & great mix of entertainment & explanation.

The English commentary has all these top level footballers as commentators which takes back some of the enthusiasm from the actual commentary.